Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Fire and Ice and all other things ❯ Wings and the Like ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: This story is set in a kingdom called Tsukia, in a medieval sort of way. In it, my made-up Naruki is a young thiefress, leader of a very well-known thieves guild called the Black Moon, though that's all I'll tell you for now!
 
Chapter One: Wings and the Like
 
Naruki hated to wait, though that was exactly what she was doing. It was probably 90 degrees outside and her comrades were all out on missions. That was why she, the leader of the Black Moon, the most notorious thieves guild in all of Tsukia and the adjoining kingdoms, was out waiting for a customer.
It was late fall, so she couldn't figure why it was so hot. The hot days of summer had long since passed, leaving only cool breezes usually, not a soldering day like today. Everyone in the village of Konoha were already wearing winter clothes, even Naruki who usually wore her summer garbs all-year round. This outfit consisted of a long black cloak, mandatory for a thief of course, under which was long dark pants and a long-sleeve midnight blue shirt. She wore a necklace around her neck, a family heirloom of hers, a amethyst that glowed in even low light. Her black bag was enchanted to look empty but she of course held all sorts of things in it, from lock picks to the rarely used, but one day could be useful, invisible cloak which she'd stolen from an old nobleman.
She had been waiting for quite a while when a strange man came up to her. He wore a black hood over his face so she couldn't see his face, but she knew either way. There wasn't a fragment of doubt in her mind who it was.
“Hello,” she said as unemotional and patiently as she could attempt.
“Good morning.” The voice under the hood was mean and cold, though she could feel this other emotion coming off them. Sorrow, anguish, it was so powerful, it scared her. As always, her ability to sense emotions had caused more than a little trouble for her.
“So, are you going to show your face to me or not?” she asked with a hint of sarcasm and amusement.
The hooded one laughed, apparently as amused as she was. They pulled off their hood. It was a boy, about her age, with black hair that was styled into three points going sideways. He had onyx-like eyes, cold and distant from her, definitely not matching the smile he had on his face, though it wasn't all that sweet and kind either. He reminded her of someone, but she couldn't put her finger on it.
“So, what's your name?” she asked, realized finally she hadn't gotten the name before leaving the hideout.
The boy's face went dim, then he said, “Sasuke.”
“Got a last name to go with that?”
“None of your business.”
She smirked, stifling a laugh, “Ooooo, touchy.”
Sasuke just smirked back at her, “You know it.”
Although she knew he was playing with her, who knew why or who gave him the right to, it didn't stop her from going red in the face, though only for a few moments before putting back on her trademark playful but dangerous smile, “I wish I did. Anyway, why did you call me out here anyway?”
Once again, Sasukes face went dim, but before he could tell her anything, Naruki heard something she didn't like, footsteps, footsteps that happened to be being made by people in armor. She cursed under her breath and grabbed Sasuke by the collar of his cloak,” Come on!”
She jumped up onto the roof of the building she'd been leaning against, putting him down right beside her. The two watched as a group of what looked like knights came by, all wearing the same black armor and all looking around in different directions,” Where is she?”
“Damn, it's the Anaki,” she said annoyed,” Just my luck.”
She stood up, scratched the back of her head, then looked at him, “Come on then, I'll take you to my house, we'll talk there.”
Naruki held out a hand to him and after only a second of thought he took it, then the two were off, only blurs.