Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ For the Sake of My Lover ❯ For the Sake of My Lover: I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For the Sake of My Lover: I

~~~

Sunlight shone down warm and inviting on the streets of Konohagakure Village, highlighting the hair of the people that walked underneath its beams and causing any sort of water, whether fountain or puddle, to glitter with its rays. It shone down on the silvery head of Hatake Kakashi as he sauntered down one of the many streets in the town, hands in his pockets, with an air of casualness about him.

Keeping that same air of casualness, he looked around him inconspicuously and ducked into the doorway of one of the many small, two-story houses that lined this particular avenue. Closing the door behind him, he was immediately assaulted by a myriad of familiar soothing smells that reminded him of a certain person, every time they teased his senses.

Smiling under his black mask, he crept forward down the front hall and peered into the large room at the end. Faint humming reached his ears, along with the sharper smells of ink and intense concentration. Frowning, he saw the ninja in question seated at a table, pen in hand and parchment laid out in front of him, apparently deep in thought.

Making up his mind, the 26 year old Jônin continued forward, sandaled feet making next to no noise on the worn wooden floor. The ninja in question did not seem to hear or sense anything, he did not even twitch as Kakashi crept closer and closer to his preoccupied form.

Smiling even wider, he pounced, slipping his arms around the other's upper torso and crossing them at the wrist; he rested his chin on the strong shoulder of the other ninja and sighed into his ear.

Inhaling sharply, the Chûnin dropped his pen and pivoted his head, meeting Kakashi's face square on, his eyes wide and startled. Upon seeing who it was, he let of his breath in a relived whoosh and relaxed his tense muscles. "It's only you Kakashi…don't sneak up on me like that!" His tone was one of mild reproof, but his smiling face and dancing eyes gave away his true feelings.

"You know I would never intentionally sneak up on you, Iruka," the older man added. "You just weren't paying attention." He said these words with obvious affection and watched as the other man's face moved closer to his, breath tickling his nose. Their lips met in a chaste kiss and remained locked for several more moments, before Kakashi gently pulled away and looked down upon the younger Chûnin.

"I did come here for a reason you know…" he whispered, leaning his forehead against Iruka's lovingly.

"Mmm…and what might that be?" came the soft reply, murmured in his ear as tender lips traced their way over the lobe, pulling it into the waiting mouth, and suckling on it gently.

Chuckling softly, Kakashi tilted his head to the side, allowing his partner easier access to the side of his face. "Just wanted to make sure you still planned on eating at my place tonight. I've got something…special planned." He smiled a secret smile that was almost, but not quite hidden beneath his mask.

"Oh, really?" Iruka asked, letting go of the Jônin's ear and turning back around as the man took a seat in the other chair at the small table. "Plan on telling me?" He took up his pen and began to write once more, but his head was tilted toward the silver-haired ninja and his eyes flickered upwards to his face every now and then.

"No," Kakashi answered, amused. "You'll have to wait and see…"

Shaking his head, Iruka laughed and replied, "Ever the mysterious one, aren't you?"

But Kakashi merely grinned and rose from the table. Iruka raised one eyebrow and looked up at him, pen held poised in his hand above the scroll. "Leaving so soon?"

"Sorry…duty calls," came the apology, meaning the Jônin's team of Junior Ninjas. "I'll see you tonight, just don't forget." Leaning down, he pressed his lips to the other man's once more, then strolled back out of the house and into the early morning sun once more.

"Now what could he be planning?" Iruka wandered aloud, staring at the hallway where his partner had disappeared. A few moments later, he shook his head and turned back to the scroll; Kakashi never told anyone anything until he was good and ready. Iruka had learned by now that if anything was worth telling, Kakashi would let him know, but only when he deemed the time right. It was a good thing the Chûnin had a lot of patience; despite his few years, he had learned to deal with many tough situations and had acquired patience through them.

The only thing that had ever really frustrated him had been Naruto, but now the prank-playing boy was under Kakashi's jurisdiction, so Iruka did not worry, for he knew that the older ninja would keep him in line.

Finishing the scroll he was writing, he waited a few seconds for it to dry, then rolled it up and sealed it. Rising, he slipped his feet into his sandals and prepared to leave and take the freshly created scroll to Lord Hokage. Stepping out the same door Kakashi had used only minutes before, he breathed in the morning smells deeply and strolled down the street at an easy pace, his face open and smiling.

People greeted him warmly as he passed, and he returned the greetings, waving to many as he continued on his way. Since he taught all of the younger children in the ways of Shinobi life, he was fairly well-known throughout the town. Children giggled and laughed, waving as they ran by him, and he chuckled and returned their hurried gestures. Today was a day off for them, and he could tell that his young pupils were enjoying it to its fullest.

Stepping into a larger building more at the center of the village, he quickly made sure he was presentable, then entered the room where Lord Hokage was, waiting silently and respectfully until he was noticed.

When the older man finally waved him over, Iruka handed over the scroll and found himself caught up in a whirwind discussion wit the Hokage and several other ninjas over the state of a select group pf Shinobi in Suna no Kuni, (The Land of Sand) far to the west.

By the time the discussion was ended, it was already going on noon and Iruka politely excused himself and left the dim building, returning to the bustling streets of the outside village.

Remembering Kakashi's earlier hints about a surprise, he grinned to himself and felt his pace quicken, his heart lighten. Even though he and Kakashi had only been seeing other for a about a year, he already trusted the older man completely, with anything and everything that arose in his life. There was just a sense of calm, a reassuring, solid, presence about the other ninja that reassured the Chûnin just by him being there.

Feeling as if he were walking on clouds, Iruka returned to his humble home and made his own preparations for the night to come.

~~~