Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Ghostly Eyes ❯ Recon ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
NARUTO
GHOSTLY EYES

By
Sgamer82

      It took only two days to reach the northern village, Kurenai setting a pace that only Naruto’s immense stamina allowed him to follow without constant rest. When they arrived, Shino and Kiba were back at full health, ready to join in the mission. Both were quite surprised to see Naruto among them. Though only Kiba actually expressed this shock.

     “What the hell are you doing here?!” Kiba shouted, not caring of the scene he was making in the village square.

     “I was asked to come here by your Sensei!” shouted Naruto, also not caring of the scene he was making in the village square.

     “That can’t be!!”

     “It can so!!”

     “No way!” Kiba said, with some barks from Akamaru agreeing with him.

     “It is, Kiba.” Kurenai interrupted, “As soon as I finished reporting what happened to Hokage-sama I insisted on bringing Naruto with me.”

     “Why?!”
< br>      “Because, Kiba, if what Hokage-sama told me is correct, then this mission will require a team made up of people close to Hinata. Besides you, Shino, and I that leaves Naruto.”

     “Sensei,” Shino spoke up, “Why is it important to have people who know Hinata?”

     “Let’s go! I’ll explain once I’m sure. I need to confirm something first.”

     The Genin followed their sensei through the thick forests outside the village. The woods were every bit as thick as the forests within Konohagakure. If not thicker than that. The trees provided a roof over them with only the occasional beams of sunlight peeking through. A foreboding place that reminded the Genin of the Forest of Death way back in the Chunin Selection Exam. Though, fortunately, the deadly creatures from that forest weren’t present here. If they were, the farming town behind them would have more to fear than simple bandits. Though when Kurenai suddenly stopped and cursed under her breath, the boys thought that maybe that was the case anyway.

     “Sensei, what’s wrong?” Shino asked.

     Kurenai didn’t respond immediately. She was occupied by the sight in front of her. It looked like a large mountain. But upon closer inspection it seemed to almost resemble a natural rock wall. A wall with a massive crack in it.

     “She was right… it’s them…” she said.

     Neither Naruto nor Kiba got the chance to ask who “they” were. Before they could open their mouths, Akamaru began barking wildly. The question on Kiba’s lips died instantly as he yelled for everyone to move. Nobody bothered asking why.

     Spears landed where the shinobi had been standing only a moment ago. The ninja scanned the area, finding several of the odd primitives that had kidnapped Hinata. They got their first good look at the people, who wore short pants, vests, and boots made of the skin of some local animals. Their exposed skin was painted in various tones of green and brown, making them blend in very well with their surroundings.

     Basic concealment technique. Kurenai thought, But very effective. Kurenai saw that they were outnumbered four-to-one and ordered a retreat. Naruto hesitated, brining his hands together to form the sign for the Kage Bunshin no Jutsu, but Kurenai ordered him to stay down. She knew what they were dealing with now, and she wanted to make sure the Genin knew as well before the proceeded.

     The four ninja made their escape smoothly. The group they saw seemed to simply be guards stationed at that crack. When they were far enough away she stopped the group. She saw Kiba and Naruto had shocked looks on their faces. Shino’s face was as impassive as ever, though his aura radiated surprise as well.

     “What’s wrong?” Kurenai asked.

     “Sensei… we…” Kiba stammered.

     “It was… we saw…” Naruto stuttered.

     “We saw Hinata.” Shino told her.

     “What?!”

& nbsp;    “She was with them!!” Naruto claimed.

     While retreating, Akamaru had suddenly stopped and sniffed the air. He was so still that Kiba barely grabbed him in time to save the dog from a spear aimed at him. It was who threw the spear that shocked Kiba. He stopped as well, causing Shino and Naruto to have to pull him along. Naruto almost stopped himself at the sight, but Shino pressed them forward.

     They had all seen it, but they couldn’t believe it. The one who had thrown the spear was a girl, no older than them. Indistinguishable from the other primitives except for one feature. Pupil-less white eyes that, combined with the body paint, made her seem almost as if she were some living incarnation of the forest itself. A demon of the woods.

     “There’s no doubt anymore, then!” Kurenai told her charges. “Those primitives are the Nimmori, the people of the forest.”