Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Ghostly Eyes ❯ The Goddess of the Forest ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
NARUTO
GHOSTLY EYES

By
Sgamer82

      The four ninja leapt down to where the four Hyuga waited.

     “If I didn’t know what to look for, I never would seen your marks.” Kurenai told them.

     “We had to be as subtle as possible.” said the Hyuga woman, “If, as you and Hokage-sama believe, these people are truly the former ninja hidden in the forests, they could potentially notice any but the faintest of signs.”

     “Huh?” Kiba asked, “What signs?”

     “On the way here, I saw very faint cuts in some of the trees.” Kurenai explained, “Nothing too obvious, to avoid Nimmori finding them and realizing what they were. I knew our new companions would attempt something like this so I kept an eye out as we got out of the village.”

     “So that’s what she was searching for…” Naruto said in realization.

     “Correct.” Kurenai told him.

     “How long have you been here? Are there more of you?” Naruto asked.

     “Less than a day, and we’re all that could come. Almost all of the battle ready Hyuga were out on missions at the time of Hinata-sama’s loss.” one of the men in the Hyuga said, “The four of us were due back from a mission only hours after Hokage-sama said Kurenai-san left. But she wouldn’t wait.”

     “I was concerned with learning Hinata’s condition as soon as possible.” she turned to the Genin, “Her challenge to us provided the best opportunity to do that. I’d hoped to reclaim her then, but things didn’t work out so well.”

     “Lucky thing you had the foresight to write instructions for that village doctor to give us.” one of the men said. Kurenai nodded.

     “While we‘re on the subject,” the woman said, “What is Hinata-sama’s condition?”

     Naruto listened as Kurenai filled in the four Hyuga. Naruto gathered they were from the Branch Family, as they each wore Hitai-Ate on their heads, like Hyuga Neji, and each at one point referred to Hinata as “Hinata-sama.” Naruto noted they showed little surprise at Kurenai’s theory that the Nimmori wanted Hinata for the Byakugan. They even seemed to be ready for Kurenai’s telling them that one of the possible reasons they thought the reason for this was the calling of a demon.

     “That cult still lives…” the woman said.

     “In an environment like this, it’s no surprise.” said a man, with black hair that went down to the small of his back.

     “You know about this?” Kiba asked. A short haired young man, who had identified himself as Uaishi, nodded.

     “The story is often told to Hyuga in their youth. It is the earliest known example of outsiders using the Byakugan for their own gain.”

     “So it’s told to instill in young Hyuga the need to protect their bloodline.” Shino said.

     “Exactly,” was the Uaishi’s answer, “The tale speaks of a group that worshipped what they called the Mori no Megami.”

     “Forest goddess?” Kurenai asked.

     “Their ultimate goal was to summon this being to our plane of existence. But two things prevented this. First was that they couldn’t read the ley lines.”

     “Ley lines?” Naruto asked.

     “Paths of energy that surround the world. They run through the rocks and trees, through water and the soil. It is much like a Chakra circulatory system for the whole world. There are points where this energy collects in great amounts. They are often found instinctively by humans and made into holy places. The summoning of the Mori no Megami requires knowledge of where a particular alignment of these ley lines within the forests can are located.”

     “In fact,” said the woman, “The reason the summoning that destroyed Morigakure failed was because a portion of the alignment was missed. That resulted in the massive disaster that caved in the tunnels the Morinin used to enter and leave this village.”

     “What’s the second obstacle in the summoning?” Kiba asked.

     “The Mori no Megami had no earthly body, like some demons. This is part of why the ley lines were needed. Members of the cult channeled their Chakra, some say even going so far as to open the Gates, at key points in order to focus the soul of the summoned demon into a vessel.”

     “A vessel… you mean… it took over someone’s body?” Naruto asked.

     “Correct. Placement of the vessel was absolutely vital. As such, simple knowledge alone wasn’t sufficient. The vessel herself had to be able to actually see the ley lines in order to position herself properly. The Byakugan allows this. That is the reason they need it.”

     “What you’re saying, then," Shino began, "Is that the Mori no Megami…”

     “Will be brought to this earth and will take the body and soul of Hinata-sama.”

     “NO!” ;

     Everyone turned in surprise to Naruto, who was just as stunned as everyone else at his sudden outburst. Naruto couldn’t help himself. From the moment they’d spoken of the demon taking over the vessel’s body, his thoughts immediately went to himself and the Kyubi. From there, they went to another person in a situation much closer to the one they described.

     Gaara of the Desert held a monster inside his body. But this monster wasn’t sealed away, like the fox. It was part of him, its power meant to be used. Just like this Forest Goddess’ power was intended. And that intent had eventually left Gaara to believe that his goal was to kill anything that lived besides himself. The thought of that happening to Hinata was too much.

     “What…” Naruto began asking, “What’ll happen to Hinata… if this thing gets her body?”

     Kiba and Shino looked to the adults as the man who had been speaking answered.

     “If what the stories say are true, then Hinata-sama’s body will be completely taken by this monster. Hinata-sama herself, however… won’t fare so well. The beast will devour her soul to make room for itself. It is a fate worse than death, for without her soul, Hinata-sama will simply cease to exist.”

* * * * *

     Elsewhere, Kashghyu N’ga trained herself. She had to be in perfect condition. For in only two days would the ceremonies take place. On that day, Kashghyu N’ga would receive the Nimmori people’s greatest honor. Her only goal until then, was to strengthen her body and soul so that it would be worthy.

     She would become the goddess-made-flesh. And nothing would get in her way.

AUTHOR' S NOTES: I remember reading a theory about paths of energy like the ones described here. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure if "ley lines" was the right name or not. If I find the correct one, I'll edit the chapter accordingly. But until then, "ley lines" works just as well.

Also, Uaishi's name is a play on the Japanese pronunciation for "white" and a Japanese word for "white" (Uaito & Shiro respectively).