Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Ghostly Eyes ❯ Vow ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
NARUTO
GHOSTLY EYES

By
Sgamer82

      “If what the stories say are true, then Hinata-sama’s body will be completely taken by this monster. Hinata-sama herself, however… won’t fare so well. The beast will devour her soul to make room for itself. It is a fate worse than death, for without her soul, Hinata-sama will simply cease to exist.”

     With those words by Hyuga Uaishi, a silence fell among the eight Shinobi. Nobody knew how to respond to such a statement. After several minutes of quiet, Naruto got to his feet and began to walk away.

     “Naruto?” said Kiba.

     “Gotta take a leak…” Naruto explained as he disappeared behind some trees. When several minutes passed, Kurenai began to worry. She got up and went in the direction Naruto had left in. She hoped the boy hadn’t gotten himself caught or injured while he was gone. She was relieved to see Naruto standing next to a tree. Her relief began to fade, though, as she noticed Naruto was standing still as a statue. She sensed no danger, but felt anger. Anger from Naruto.

     “Naruto…” Kurenai said quietly.

     “Go away.” Naruto demanded.

     “What’s wrong?” Kurenai asked.

     “I said go.”

     “Naruto…̶ 1; Kurenai wondered what had angered Naruto so greatly. This wasn’t the usual loud-mouthed pissed-off she was used to with Kiba and knew Naruto capable of. He was genuinely upset over something. She was about to ask again when Naruto spoke up.

     “You wanna know what’s wrong?” he said darkly, “I just figured out why I’m here. Why you really brought me along.”

     “What do you mean?” Kurenai asked, confused, “I brought you here for exactly the reason I said I did. You have a connection to Hinata.”

     “Really?” Naruto asked, a mocking tone in his voice. His voice became serious just as quickly, “Compared to you, Kiba, and Shino, I hardly know Hinata at all! Even those four Hyuga probably know her better than I do! That can’t be the reason!”

     “But Narut-”

     “You brought me here because of that demon! You brought me here in case we failed!!”

     Kurenai was a little startled at the accusation. But now she understood what Naruto was thinking.

     “You think… you believe we brought you here in order to use the Kyuubi against the Mori no Megami.”

     “Well, what else is there?”

     “Again, it’s just as I told you when I recruited you.”

     “That’s bull! I told you! I don’t know Hinata!”

     “You may not know her, but she knows you.

     Naruto stared at Kurenai. Unable to fathom what she meant by that.

     “How can she know me… if I don’t…”

     “You really never noticed?” Kurenai asked. When Naruto’s expression only became more confused, Kurenai let out a sigh.

     “Naruto… how does Hinata usually act when she’s around you?”

     “Well… she usually gets all red in the face. And, until recently, she couldn’t even look me in the eye or talk to me.”

     That’s when it hit Naruto. Until recently… until the Chunin Exam…

     “I don’t quit… and I won’t run! I won’t… take back… my words. That… is my
Nindô!”

     Hinata had spoken those words… Naruto’s words…

     “Come to think of it,” Sakura had said shortly after the fight, “I think she’s always been watching you.”


     Naruto remembered the moments prior to his fight with Hyuga Neji.

     “To other people it may not seem like I changed but… I… felt like I was able to change... and it was thanks to you, Naruto-kun…”


     Judging by the wide-eyed expression of realization appearing on Naruto’s face, Kurenai decided that Naruto was figuring out what Kurenai was telling him.

     “Naruto, Hinata has looked to you as an example to follow for years. You’ve inspired her in a way I don’t think anybody else has been able to do. Including myself.” she smiled, “And I was actually trying.

     “The fact is we need people who are as close to Hinata as possible if we’re to have any hope of breaking her free of the Nimmori’s hold. The more Hinata knows that person, the better. With that in mind, you, Naruto, are our best chance at rescuing her. That’s why you’re here. The Fox has nothing to do with it!”

     Naruto listened to Kurenai’s words, not quite believing them, but at the same time knowing they were the truth.

     “Hinata… looks up… to me?!”

     Kurenai nodded.

     Naruto was shocked to say the least. He hadn’t made much of it when Hinata had told him he helped her change. He’d just figured she meant his cheering for her and nothing else. But if she had watched him long before then…

     Then she was the first… before Sasuke, before Sakura-chan and Kakashi-sensei… even before Iruka-sensei… Hinata was the first person to acknowledge me… to see me as something more than just some idiot screw-up… or some kind of monster…


     Kurenai watched a look of determination grow on Naruto’s face. His hands began to clench into fists. Without warning, his fist slammed into a nearby tree with all the might Naruto could muster. He looked Kurenai right in the eyes.

     “Kurenai-sensei,” he said, “I promise… I’ll do everything in my power to bring Hinata back!”

     Kurenai smiled in approval.

     “Good. Then we’d best head back. We don’t know how much time we have before this ritual takes place. We need to figure out a plan of action as soon as possible.”

     Naruto nodded.

     Hinata… if you’ve really believed in me like Kurenai said, then I promise, I won’t let you down! I’ll get you back no matter what it takes! I’ll be worthy of that respect!