Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Little World ❯ Plans Begin ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
She knelt, stiff and straight-backed, dark eyes never leaving the table. With grace obtained through years of practice, she poured the steaming green tea into the cup in front of her guest before filling her own cup. She did not touch any of the extravagant spread. Instead, pale hands remained folded on the crimson of her kimono.


"Susuka-san..."


"I understand. It is your duty as both the head of the Hyuuga clan and her father. I cannot interfere." It took a massive amount of self-control to keep her voice even. Even then, she could not disguise her trembling. Hiashi gently placed his hand over both of hers.


"Your husband was the best friend I have ever had Susuka. He sacrificed himself to save me, and I wish to do whatever I can for both of you in his absence. Yet even I cannot prevent this." The tears refused to restrain themselves any longer.


"Please..." her voice came out as a choked whisper, "please Hiashi, is there no other way?"


Slowly he shook his head. "The council has spoken. Elder Kaede argued on his behalf, but was massively outnumbered. There is nothing more I can do."


"I can't lose him. I lost Hizashi, I cannot lose Neji as well."


"No harm will come to your son Susuka-san, that I can swear. I will not allow them to kill him, council or no." Distractedly, he pushed himself up and paced the length of the room. "The council cannot afford to alienate my family with such an act. They are all for keeping up appearances. In fact, this is what this whole controversy is about, appearances." He turned to face her. "I would move you both, have him assigned as a correspondence to the Kazekage or sent as a gesture of friendship and to maintain Konoha's relationship with the Mizukage..."


"He will not go. Tsunade-sama finds him invaluable and will not be easily pressured into forcing him to leave. She will give him an option, and he will choose to stay."


"I can still try, dishearten him by any means necessary. Then we can avoid this whole mess altogether. But somehow I feel that he will not be easily discouraged."


“How long?”


“Two weeks. If this hasn’t blown over by then he will be required to appear in front of the council. I will not be able to help him there. Like I said, he will not be killed, but his life will become decidedly more difficult...and painful. Somehow, though, I believe that he will be able to withstand whatever may come his way.”


“Thank you, for everything.” Hiashi nodded and rose.


“I will do my best. I will do everything in my power to separate my daughter and your son.”


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


“You’re completely sure that’s what he said?”


“Of COURSE I’m completely sure. He was telling Neji-kun’s mother that he was going to do whatever it took to tear them apart. We can’t let that happen Tenten-san!”


“You didn’t hear the whole of the conversation, remember? What if there was something he said before, I mean, we really don’t know that…”


“What could they have possibly said!? My father is not the kind of person to jump out and yell ‘psyche!’ you know! All I know is that he is making it his life’s mission to tear them apart. We have to stop him. We have to make sure that Neji and Hinata get together. I’ve got so much money riding on this relationship!”


Tenten eyed the Hyuuga. “Your concern for their happiness is overwhelming. Alright then, I’ll help. In fact, I think I can get a bunch of people to help…but I want my shuriken back first.”


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


"No way! What the hell is it anyway?" Sakura glared at the blond boy.


"Naruto, we had a deal! You don't do it, then I won't buy you lunch. Ichiraku is having a two for one special today...you can eat twice as much. Come on Naruto, it's not going to kill you..."


Ino snickered. "It just might kill him."


"Why can't Ino do it?"


"Because, Ino-pig is chicken."


Ino glared. "And Forehead-girl is lazy."


Naruto scratched his head and stared down at the piece of paper on his hand. "I don't know about this...seems like he's not going to be really happy if I do it."


"Well the public needs to know! Has a right to know, in fact!"


"Yeah!" Her blond counterpart heartily agreed. "You're doing Konoha a public service! Even the Hokage-sama wants to know. See, her signature's on the back!"


Sure enough, Tsunade's name was scrawled across the back of the note. "Sakura-chan, this is addressed to you. Aren't you supposed to do it?"


"I'm not suicidal. You're stronger. You beat Neji-san once before, so he respects you. He's less likely to try to kill you."


"But..."


Ino yanked on her hair in exasperation. "Naruto!" She grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him. "Sakura and I are going to feed you as much ramen as that bottomless pit-of-a stomach of yours can handle! Do you want it or not?"


"Alright, alright. I'll do it." He stepped out onto the training area...and immediately ducked to avoid getting hit by several shuriken. "OI! TENTEN-SAN!"


"That's what you get for lurking over there in a corner for so long!" She smiled sweetly. "Hurry up...make it fast before I use you as a target."


"Where's Neji-san?"


"What is it?"


Naruto spun to find Neji standing behind him. "Oi, Neji...well...promise you won't kill me first."


A single muscle twitched in the Hyuuga's eye. Immediately he thought it was about Hinata.


"What do you want?" The others of the rookie nine came filtering in to the training area, few taking notice of them.


"Well...look, I don't even know what this means, but Sakura-chan promised be ramen if I asked. The hokage wants to know...what kind of conditioner do you use?"


...now the two boys had everyone's attention.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx


"Stupid obaa-san. Stupid Sakura-chan. Stupid, ugly Ino. Stupid Neji. Stupid conditioner." Naruto mumbled around his swollen cheek. He dragged himself to his apartment.


"Tell me about it." Kiba leaned heavily on Akamaru. "I bet he broke my leg." Kurenai and Gai had not been able to move fast enough to save the Inuzuka.


"You asked him if he was a girl all this time...and then called him gay. You deserved it. I was an innocent victim of circumstance."


"At least we know how he takes care of his girly-hair." Naruto glanced over at the other boy.


"Think it'll pass?"


"Neji-san? The way he holds a grudge? I say not a chance."


"Uzumaki-san, Inuzuka-san, how fortunate that I'd find both of you at the same time." The two chuunin tensed and readied themselves for battle as a pale young man stepped out in front of them.


"Oh yeah, who are you?"


He ignored Kiba's lack of manners. "My name is Hyuuga Yuuhi. Hiashi-san sent me to find you. Hinata-san has asked to spend the day with you tommorrow. Neji-san will be otherwise occupied and Hiashi-san is of the opinion that you get along well with Hinata-san."


Naruto and kiba looked at him in shock. "Since when does Hiashi-san WANT us to be around Hinata-chan?"


"He hates dogs!"


"Should I tell him you are unable to come?"


Naruto thought for a moment. "Well I guess it's okay with me."


"Sure, me too." The Hyuuga bowed and disappeared as silently as he appeared. "Hey, you think there's more to it?"


"Probably. Hyuuga Hiashi told me more than once that I was I bad influence on Hinata."


"We're on the same team and he has a hard time letting me train with her. He won't even let Akamaru on the compund." Akamaru barked his returned dislike for the Hyuuga. "Something weird must have happened to change his mind. Hey! Maybe I can get to ask Hinata out!" Kiba got a dreamy look in his eyes. "And we'll get married and have lots of puppies...at least fourteen. Then later I'll consider kids. At least fourteen of them too. And Hiashi-san will call me son. And..."


Naruto rolled his eyes. "Sure Kiba."


"Come on! Admit it! Hinata is really pretty."


"Well she is kinda cute... I wouldn't mind going out with her at all..."


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


"Hanabi-san, I can't. It goes against everything I..."


"You owe me...way more than you want to know. You tell me everything now or pay up."


"I don't have the money yet."


"Then spill. Everything father told you to tell them."


Yuuhi looked pained. "But...I'm not supposed to..."


"Tenten-san, if you'd be so kind..."


"Gladly." The branch house Hyuuga looked desperately for an exit as the weapon's mistress pulled several kunai. "I think I'll start with his toes. Then his fingers...one by one at the joints..."


"Alright! Alright! Here!" He pulled out a scroll and quickly jotted down something. "That's everything. If Hiashi-san finds out..."


"He won't. Thanks so much Yuuhi-kun. Consider your debt paid in full." He rushed out of the room. "Wow...father's pulling some strings here..."


Tenten shook her head in amazement. "You are a very frightening child."


"Look at it this way Tenten-san. Naruto plans to become Hokage...he just won't know who's really running Konoha from the background. Now, let's get to work on this."