Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Little World ❯ Intervention ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Naruto fidgeted nervously and tugged at his shirt. He was almost certain he had worn out the bottom of his shoes with his frantic scrubbing on the front door mat. It didn't mean anything that he would have to take of the shoes inside anyway. As Kiba said, the floor looked way too clean to walk on. Even the grass in the Hyuuga compound was pristine, as if never seeing dirt. The surroundings alone were enough to make even the most rowdy of ninjas feel...intimidated.


Then, to make matters even worse, he was sitting across from Hyuuga Hiashi. THE Hyuuga Hiashi. The Hyuuga Hiashi whose glare could sober the Godaime and make Anko fall into a dead faint. The same Hyuuga Hiashi who had not said a single word since the two boys were shown in.


As if completely unaware (or more likely, uncaring) of the discomfort his very presence caused, Hiashi busied himself with the pile of documents demanding attention on his desk, ignoring the boys. Kiba glanced over at Naruto, who glared and shook his head. He was NOT going to be the one to initiate conversation.


Akamaru had decided that he would be better off wating for the boys outside the Hyuuga compound. (He had insisted that the fact that Hiashi had once ordered some branch house members to hose him off and get rid of 'the foul canine odor' had absolutely nothing to do with it. He simply wanted to enjoy the fresh air...even though it was raining.) So Kiba was left without an accomplice.


For some reason the scratching of the quill on paper seemed amplified, and grated on Naruto's ears. He wanted so badly to jump up and snatch that blasted thing and stamp on it until it was unrecognizable. But that would involve moving. And moving might make the scary Hyuuga mad. And nobody wanted that. So Naruto sat, and twitched with every scratch. Somewhere in the room a clock ticked loudly, creepy cat eyes moving back and forth with each second. Never had a chinese cat-clock been so hated.


Sweat started to stream down the jinchuuriki's face. QUIET! MUCH TOO QUIET! Somebody, DO something, damn it! His rear was starting to hurt and he developed an annoying tick in the side of his neck. He had to do something, anything. This was torture. Oh Kami-sama, what he wouldn't give to be locked in a dark room with Ibiki and Anko right now. Kami-sama, never again, I swear! I'll never pull another prank as long as I live! I'll even give up ramen! Well...I'll give up ramen for this week. Just please, please, PLEASE get me out of here!


I'll never pull Akamaru's tail. And I'll stop booby trapping Hana's civilian boyfriend. And I'll never, ever again tell the other dogs that Kanrei has fleas. And I'll stop calling Shino Bug-boy. And I'll be nice to Lee-san. I'll shave my head and become a monk if you want! Anything!!!
A glance over at Naruto told Kiba that he too was frantically praying.


"Done?"


In the most dingified possible way he could manage, Kiba screamed and fell off the chair.


Hiashi raised a single eyebrow at the boy's outburst and remained impassive as the Inuzuka pulled himself back on to his chair, hurriedly murmuring apologies. Naruto made no move to help him, instead choosing to sit very still and hope that Kiba provided enough of a distraction for him to make a break for the door. Yes, he'd have to leave his friend behind, but in every war there were casualties. Kiba's sacrifice would not be forgotten.


Neither boy saw the amusement in Hiashi's eyes as he watched them fidget in front of him. "I asked if you were finished. By now most people have confessed all their sins and made numerous promises to God. This is just my little way of securing a place for myself in the afterlife." He frowned when they did not laugh at his 'joke'. Immediately there were several nervous chuckles. No one ever got his jokes.


"You know gentlemen, daughters are Kami-sama's gifts to a family. They are a man's most precious possesions, ones he protects with his very life. Even if one's daughter is a shinobi, even if she is extremely strong, a man will always remember the darling little girl who relied on him for everything. He will look at her and see his baby girl, and will feel a driving need to protect her...and to ruthlessly destroy anything that causes her harm. So naturally, it is a father's duty to mistrust any male his daughter becomes close to, knowing the pain that relationships can bring. It is also a father's duty, should said male actually cause his daughter pain, to separate said male from a certain body part, immediately after which making several incisions in said male's back to as to forcibly remove the spinal structure. Finally, the enraged father should squeeze said male's neck until he can no longer breathe, cut open his lower abdomen and allow him to bleed until medical help arrives or said male dies, whichever comes first."


Hiashi leaned towards the now very nervous pair. "But all this really isn't necessary. I'd like to think I can trust you two, ne?"


"Yes Hiashi-san." They parroted.


"Good, now on to the details. Where exactly do you plan to take my daughter?"


"To the traini...ah, I mean, out to the pa...."


"Um...wherever she wants to go?" Naruto saved him.


"Good answer. How old are you? What kind of reputation do you have concerning women? Have you ever been arrested? Have you ever hit a kunoichi outside of battle or training excercises? If you are attacked, what is your first course of action? How many A or B ranked missions have you been on? What is your rank, gennin or chuunin? If gennin, state why. If chuunin, state how many tries it took you to pass. Are you willing to fill out a medical release form? When was the last time you had a check up? What is your blood type? What are you looking for in a wife? What is your standing in taijutsu and genjutsu? State the finer points of your personality in 100 words or less, making sure to specify what is personal opinion and what is proven fact. When..."


"Father?" Hinata stood in the doorway. "You sent for me?" Both boys were immediately on their feet.


"Yes Hinata. Your team mate and friend are here to pick you up. You will spend the day with them today." She looked as if about to protest. "Neji-san will be busy."


"Oh. Yes father." Hiashi smirked at the young ninjas.


"Have a good day gentlemen."


~~O~U~T~S~I~D~E~~~T~H~E~~~C~O~M~P~O~U~N~D~~
< br>
Somehow they could just FEEL his eyes on them still. Shuddering, Kiba latched on to Hinata's arm. "Hinata-chan, I'm not sure which one is worse, your dad's glare, his humor or his smile."


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"We've got a problem..." Hanabi whispered and pointed to the trio. "That Dog-boy's hand is getting a little too close to Hinata-chan. You don't think that he's..."


"Whatever he's trying to do, stop it. You have to take it from here, I have to rescue Neji-kun."


The young Hyuuga stared in disbelief. "But Tenten-chan, what am I supposed to do?"


"Get creative. I'm sure you can manage it." The weapons mistress disappeared in a puff of smoke.


"'You can manage it.' Yeah right. What am I supposed to do? I can't attack them outright; that'd give me away." A flash of brown caught her eye. "Perfect..."


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


"First stop, the shrine outside the Inuzuka compound. No offence or anything Hinata, but Kiba and I have some serious thanks to give right now. Then we can meet up with bug-boy..."


"Don't!" Kiba hissed. "Don't call him that. If I can't call him that, you can't either."


Hinata had the distinct feeling she missed something. The feeling worse at lunch when Naruto insisted they go to the restaurant with the grill instead of ramen. Vaguely she wondered what her father said to the two boys before she came.


She trailed behind her friends, affectionately scratching Akamaru's head. It wasn't as if they were annoying her. In fact, to tell the truth, she had missed their lively chatter and amusing way of insulting almost everybody. It felt really good to be with them again. But honestly, they weren't Neji-kun. She straightened. What was she thinking? These were her friends! She was going to make the most of today. She'd see Neji-kun later.


She was distracted and missed Kiba nudging Akamaru. The dog nodded inperceptibly and trotted up to the loud-mouthed blond. The next thing any of them knew, Akamaru had stolen Naruto's hiate-ate and made a break for the forest.


"Get back here you damn mutt!" Red with rage, Naruto took after the rapidly disappearing nin-dog.


"Um...shouldn't we go help him?"


"Nah." Kiba shrugged. "He'll be fine. I wanted to talk to you, you know, in private." She glanced down at her shoes nervously. "You know Hinata, we've been on the same team for...well it seems like forever. It started off a little rocky at first but...we make a great team: you and me...and bug-I mean Shino. And well, I kind of like you."


"W-we both like you too Kiba. We do make a great cell."


"I'm not talking about that! Forget the team for a minute. What I mean is I like YOU, as in..."


"INUZUKA!" They whirled to find a very enraged Hanabi descending on them. Silently Hinata thanked her sister. "YOU! I should have KNOWN this was your fault!"


"What is it, Runt-chan?"


Hanabi glared at her sister's team mate. "Don't call me that baka! And I'm talking about my birthday present! Lee-kun gave me the cutest little squirrel for my birthday and your mutt is chasing it! My darling Mo-chan is being harrassed by YOUR ugly, mangy, disgusting excuse for a quadruped! Get your MONGREL OFF MY BABY MO-CHAN NOW!!!!"


Kiba growled semi-threateningly. "I can assure you, Runt-chan, Akamaru does NOT chase squirrels."


"Really? Then Inuzuka-dono, would you be so kind as to use the vast knowledge you've aquired in all your years of experience to explain to stupid little girls what exatly THAT is?" She pointed over to a space in between the surrounding trees. Sure enough, Akamaru was having it out with a squirrel. Mo-chan, however, had the advantage. His little teeth were firmly planted in the dog's muzzle and nothing would pry it loose. Naruto (now reunited with his hiate-ate) struggled to pull the little monster off his friend's dog, but only succeded in getting scratched by equally sharp claws.


"Don't you dare hurt Mo-chan!"


"Hurt it? HURT IT?!?!? The damn thing is latched on to Akamaru! Oh, I'm not going to hurt it. If it doesn't let go I'm going to kill it!"


"You kill my squirrel and I'll have your dog put to sleep! Get it away from my baby!"


"Ow, ow, ow, damn it!" Kiba joined the fight to free his partner and was immediately attacked. Seeing a new victim, Mo-chan decided to bite on to Kiba's hand instead. "Get it off me! Naruto, do something!"


"Like what? You want me to use the Rasengan on you?"


"Less talk, more help!"


Hanabi folded her arms and glared. "You'd better not hurt him." For nearly half an hour the boys struggled to remove the evil squirrel. Finally, after a rain of kunai, Mo-chan scurried off into the forest. Hinata tried politely to hide her laughter, but failed miserably when two of the kunai aimed at Mo-chan hit Naruto instead. Both chuunin, pride severely damaged, mumbled and glared at the younger Hyuuga sister, who glared back.


"Now, which one of you morons is going to go get my squirrel?"


"What?"


"You heard me dog-breath. Go get my squirrel or else."


Kiba grinned, exposing his fangs. Usually when dealing with younger people, especially girls, this was the end of the conversation. "Or else what? You'll cry?"


"Yes... I'll cry. I'll cry and run off. And I'll run crying straight into my daddy's office and he'll want to know what hurt his little girl... you remember what he said about hurting his little girl right? He wasn't just talking about Hinata-nee-chan you know."


As if on cue, the boys seemed to wilt. "Oh crap..."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx


When the maid announced visitors for Hanabi at ten o' clock at night, Hiashi's only demonstration of his disapproval was the typical raised eyebrow. "Gomen Otou-san. It will not happen again."


"See that it doesn't. Go to your guests." She scampered off to the front room where tow very unhappy boys waited.


"Every damn squirrel looks the same as every other. We grabbed a couple. If they're not yours then your stuck. Naruto and me are not chasing any more damn squirrels.


"He better be in here." She opened the proffered bag and a dozen brown and grey rodent-like creatures went scurrying out the door. The lone remainder seemed to exude an evil aura and immediately sank his teeth into Kiba's ear. "That's my Mo-chan!"


"Damn frizzy rat!" Kiba jerked Mo-chan off and tossed him against the wall.


"Is there a problem here?" Pale eyes narrowed at the two.


Hanabi turned, sniffing. "Neji-kun! Those mean boys tried to kill my squirrel Mo-chan!"


In a scurry of activity, two chuunin disappeared. "Hanabi." Neji glanced at her curiously. "You have a squirrel?"


"Well, I do now!"


A/n: Next time, what did Tenten have to rescue Neji from?