Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ His and Her Bone of Contention ❯ That Woman ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
 
Disclaimer: I did not create Naruto and/or his orange jumpsuit
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
Summary:
 
 
His scowl
 
Her smile
 
Bone of Contention: noun; a subject, cause, or focal point of a dispute. Struggle.
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
“Miss Haruno is here to see you now,” the secretary exited the room, in exchange, a pastel haired doctor took her place inside.
 
“Hm? ...Hyuuga! ..Again?!”
 
Neji bathed her with his cold glare while Sakura flooded out exasperation.
 
“Medics aren't the ones who are to be complaining.” He stiffened in his sitting position beside the bed.
 
“Hai, Hai…” followed by a tired sigh, “but really, Hyuuga, are you planning on moving in?” She asked rhetorically; obviously irritated by the numerous visits he had been giving recently.
 
“Do not mock me, Haruno,” she gave her head a slight shake.
 
The medic moved to the back of the room, retrieving her usual supplies; bag, tray, and a moveable desk.
 
“What is it this time?” Opening the bag and neatly displaying a variety of instruments on the tray, “Toxin, secluded tenketsu …or is it..?”
 
“Torn appendage”
 
“Pride distortion”
 
They remarked in unison.
 
Sakura couldn't help but give a light cackle.
 
“You have the nerve to humor a patient while they have an interior injury?” His frustration quickly building.
 
“Eh, gomen,” trying to shake away her laughter.
 
Perfectly comfortable, she grabbed his injured leg and settled it on the bed, fully aware of a soft, pained, grunt, and with agile fingers, unwrapped the red-stained bandages around his muscled calf. Once his leg was fully revealed, there was an obvious bruise at the back of his knee. She glided her hand, illuminating a light green, along his entire leg and would gently push on certain muscles to loosen the tensed nerves.
 
Sakura definitely stayed true to her title. The young expert always worked in a fast and relaxed manner, which is why Neji didn't complain too much when she was appointed to heal him.
 
The girl had a way of making him feel belittled, never cringing at his stone gazes, and had a smart mouth that opposed his.
 
His stereotype of the girl before was; ridiculously of no use as a ninja, pathetically boy crazy, and has a miraculously high pitched squeal.
 
But now, he had to admit, she was a descent medic. Her genjutsu was alright. Since the Uchiha boy left, she lost that galling voice of hers…and developed nice hair, but his chestnut locks were of more luster.
 
An arrogant smirk could barely be seen on his expression.
 
“Done. There you go,” she gave out a huff of breath and reached for a cup of coffee. After a few more sips, she offered some to Neji.
 
“I don't drink coffee.”
 
“Really? Hm.. I've always thought you`d be a coffee kind of person…”
 
“I only drink tea,” he bluntly corrected her, but curious, “Why is that?”
 
“Coffee is more…masculine,” handing him a cup of tea. “Now, tea, I thought of it as more for the ladies,” a smile along with the offering.
 
Was there a hidden remark in there somewhere? A hint? It was as if she was meaning something else, but he couldn't quite target it.
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
“Tsunade-sama, a new mission has arrived.” Shizune handed her another packet of papers.
 
“Ugh! Paperwork, Missions, Paperwork--Sake! Shizune~!” Tsunade punched a hole on a book of `Konoha Finances' as her apprentice raced frantically to a wooden drawer for a porcelain bottle. The Hokage grabbed the sake from her and drank the alcohol in one swing, gradually tipping it higher for the last few drops.
 
Ahh~!” She slammed the bottle straight to her desk, creating a circular dent on the papers. “M'kay…le'me see that mission..” Her half-lidded eyes scanned the papers, “A two-man team, eh? Who can I possibly pair up for a mission like this?”
 
“How about Tenten? The girl's tough, she can handle it,” suggested her associate.
 
“She's tough, I'll give her that, but she just won't be able to pull off a mission like this.”
 
“Yamanaka? She's quite the gal.”
 
“Course, she'd be perfect! But she might be a little too good for this one, besides, I`m not ready for another one of Chouji`s uproars,” Tsunade cackled.
 
“True, Tsunade-sama, but who else?”
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
At the Hokage's office, Sakura was cleaning up all the ripped papers, broken sake bottle's, shredded books, and tipped ink containers.
 
In absolute frustration, she kicked at a pile of parchment spread across the floor, `Shisou, you Pig!' swiping at a fluttering paper in mid-air. Just as she was about to crumple it up and stick it in the bag she was holding, the words, “Assassin” and “Waterfall” caught her eye.
 
She unraveled the torn folds and read the rest of the report.
 
It seems there was an eradicator, though not shinobi , lurking within a small, secluded town in the Hidden Waterfall Village. Only a two-person team was needed, not only because more than a pair would be suspicious, but due to all the money this criminal was stealing, the messenger couldn't offer much. Besides, a female was an essential for such a mission.
 
Sakura's cheeks would gradually strike a light pink as she read the given information about the man: from murders to rape, known for killing within a seconds notice, and the unbearable aura of seduction. There was also a picture at the corner of the page and--oh, my--he was quite the looker. Too bad the image was so small…
 
`This is certainly an exciting mission but…' She gave the list of crimes, along with the photo, another glance; her face glowed once more.
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
Tsunade's Point Of View
 
 
The morning is so very beautiful, as expected of Konoha's glorious sunrises, of course, and as I enter my horrid office I quickly take note of Sakura's wonderful rearrangement.
 
Why so happy, you ask?
 
Why aren't I in absolute hysteria from excess alcohol just the night before?
 
Where's the scene when `Hokage tries roasting Shizune's pig`, you wonder?
 
Well, well, it's that time of day again, to assign missions; put money in a special nin's holster, put that special nin's life in utter danger, and also, putting that nin's maturity to the test.
 
Nani? Hinting? You'll see who I'm hinting about, though I'm sure you're aware already.
 
“Tsunade-sama? You called for me?” Hah, how innocent she talks, ne?
 
“Yes, I did. Now, come, Sakura.” This is risky but…what the hell.
 
“Hai?”
 
“Did you by any chance…come across a mission report about a Waterfall assassin?” I swear to the Great Kami, I tried my best not to give in a generous smirk.
 
“Hmm…I think, so.”
 
“Very well then. As you know, a mere two ninjas are required,” --here it comes.
 
“You will be taking part as the female shinobi.”
 
Silence.
 
Okay, maybe that was too forward.
 
I could clearly see that all hell broke for her. It was obviously obvious that my dear apprentice had a hard time, literally, swallowing this one.
 
“SHANNARROO~!” Well, that was expected. “N-Nani?! Na-Nande?!” `W-What?! Wh-Why?!'
 
“You're the one who's been constantly complaining to me about getting missions and, I quote, `Why is it that I either, get really easy B-class missions, or get stuck at the hospital dealing with the same agenda?'”
 
“And alcoholics, both in the hospital and elsewhere,” the nerve of the girl to adlib.
 
“You'll be teamed up with an excellent nin, I'm pretty sure you two have met before. Now, go on, and leave me to my work.” I wouldn't be Hokage if I didn't see that instant roll of the eyes.
 
With a huff, the Bright Pink of the room left.
 
“Believe me, Sakura, you'll thank me…someday,” I unwittingly cackled.
 
Ah! That was only supposed to be heard in my head! --darn ~ sake--
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
`What in the hell is she thinking?! Me! Perform a mission in which the objective has that kind of…skill.'
 
`Oh, fuck, who am I paired up with then?'
 
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
 
“What do you want?” A gruff voice sounded from thin lips.
 
“Hyuuga? Neji?” A slightly scared voice sounded from nervously bitten lips.
 
The young chuunin didn't get an answer and after a frightful moment of being glared at, finally blurted, “Hok-kage-s-sama-is-assigni-ning-you-t-to-uh-new-mis-sion.”
 
Due to the disrespectful stammering, Neji creased his royal brows in a fraction of a centimeter, but was enough to ultimately horrify the boy; making him realize just how much he cherished life. Dropping the folder on the newly waxed porch, he jolted away in fear. The Hyuuga gave a quiet snicker, gracefully scooping up the folder, but the second he opened it, his smirk dissipated.
 
There was a long silence as he read over the paper more than just a couple of times, until finally he decided to brood in a more…pleasant domain.
 
As he glided (aggressively) down a hill coveted by young grass, he darted his irritation at everything worth darting his irritation at. Once he reached the top of the hill, he settled himself down beneath the withered tree which, from the most that he could remember, never really had a life. There he sat in an Indian style, fingers embedded together in the form of a bird, and a marvelous view of the setting sun to accompany his meditation.
 
`Clear thoughts…' he chanted soothingly to himself.
 
Out of nowhere, foreign chakra came his way with a light scent of lavender; White Eyes activated.
 
Nothing.
 
`Clear. Thoughts,' now chanting numerously.
 
There it was again; nothing.
 
`Clear. Thoughts. Clear Thoughts. Clear-Thoughts-Clear-Thoughts.' the two words now ringing in his mind with vehement force.
 
“Beautiful sunset, don't you think?”
 
His, supposedly, relaxed posture immediately stiffened; eyes flying open and head snapping to the source of the annoyingly (sweet) familiar chime of a Haruno woman's voice.
 
The look that he gave her would be considered appalling to many others but to Sakura, who has been dealing with the most complicated man in all of Fire Country and constantly receives a glare that was just as threatening, if not more, on a daily basis of her young life, she could actually mistake it for a welcoming smile.
 
Thus, she smiled back.
 
Neji fought his physical reactions to stabilize his twitching lid, clenched his fists against his robe to avoid any, wanted, damage done to the girl, and tamed a cannibalistic growl that rumbled his Adams apple.
 
“Ah, I'm sorry. I'm intruding you, aren't I?” She quickly read over his visible frustrations, being a medic after all, and biting her lip at how troublesome she seemed to appear to him.
 
“To state the obvious.” he said blandly.
 
“..By..akugan?”
 
Neji had just realized himself that he still had veins brimful with chakra. Hmm, he must've activated them again in his acrimony…the thought pondering. Gradually, the grooves and bumps of his veins deflated, though that didn't stop him from scowling at her.
 
“Anyway, I didn't know anyone else came to this hill but me,” Sakura turned back to the scenery.
 
“This is within the Hyuuga compound,” raising a thin brow. She stiffened just as quickly as that of Neji.
 
“You don't say…” she continued chewing her bottom lip.
 
`What a moron,' he scrutinized.
 
There was a lengthened quietness between them as both stared at a half-sunken ball of heat.
 
“Well don't let me disturb you, go on and meditate.”
 
Unconsciously, Neji willed his Byakugan again, his mood twitching as much as his nerves. `Why are the Gods torturing me?' If he wasn't Hyuuga Neji, he would have broken out in a river of tears the moment Sakura Haruno invaded his “bubble.”
 
“Why are you here?” He tried not to grit his teeth.
 
“The same as you, most likely. The Godaime has assigned me to a mission that I refuse, and so, have come here to calm down.” She explained, pulling her knees to her chest and tucking her chin between it's little valley.
 
Much to his surprise, something about her lessened his fierce petulance and his amusement was caught. Maybe it was her voice, clear and easy to the ears, or it might be the way her silhouette trailed after the sunset. He never knew that pink and shades of orange could come to a happy medium, ensuing to a golden rose colour that bordered Sakura's petite figure.
 
`Nonsense,' he pulled his mind away from his cerebration.
 
“I too, have been assigned a disturbing mission,” he replied in hopes of making her content and shooing her away.
 
“ANBU?”
 
“No.”
 
“So you can tell me what it's about…” She finally turned her head towards him, bright emerald eyes engulfing his whole being.
 
“Well…” For once, Neji was distracted and at the sight of how her eyes shown translucent against the dimming rays of the sun, he momentarily forgot what his next words were.
 
She gave him an expectant look.
 
“It does not concern the likes of you,” somewhat desperate for a rough comeback from his musings.
 
“Eh, onegai, tell me,” tilting her head slightly in a coaxing manner.
 
“If you must know…” he obligated his vision to avert elsewhere, “Located at the Hidden Waterfall is a culprit stealing money and women. Tch, pathetic,” adding his own dislike to the situation.
 
“Aa, what a jerk.” Her half lidded eyes turned back to catch the last glow of red. Then just as the dark blue of the night swept in, it dawned on her that she too had the same mission as he. “Huh! I'm on that exact same mission as well!”
 
The Hyuuga's jaw fell slightly ajar but he swiftly regained composure, and for the fourth time that day, he calmly urged his Byakugan to disengage. Setting his breathing into a normal rhythm, Neji concluded that he had been exposed to too much `Sakura' for a single day. He stood up and began walking back to the safety of his mansion, all in one flawless motion.
 
“I'll see you tomorrow then, Hyuuga.” Sakura waved a hand, knowing undoubtedly well that he could see her gesture.
 
The moment he heard her call, he stumbled unnoticeably for the fraction of a second, then resumed his journey across the vast plantations of the Hyuuga gardens.
 
`That woman…'
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
A/N: My first attempt at a NejiSaku pairing! *throws confetti*
 
This is the main reason why I haven't updated on my SasuSaku yet--really sorry, and also, I've been busy with school. And--Happy New 2007 to everyone!
 
I already have plenty of ideas for this and I'd really love to give you a few details of what's coming up, but it would decrease the element of surprise. Hehe, gomen nasaii~!
 
 
Shikamaru: *sigh* How troublesome…
 
 
Aah, what will we do without Nara's wisdom? Anyways, thank you for reading and I'd like to thank everyone who's supporting my fan fictions! *gazes at empty seats* Hey! Where'd that tumbleweed come from?!