Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ In the Rain ❯ A New Mission ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: And I am back again! Sorry for not updating in a long time...school's started up and I'd forgotten how little free time I have anymore. And since I'm so busy, updates might be a bit slower. I'll work on it as much as I can on the weekends…
 
Quote: “You've done real good.” -My Grandpa XD
 
Fanfic: Perception by Cynchick (this one's on Fanfiction.net) url: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3558308/1/Perception This is an ItaSaku pairing fic, but it's REALLY good. :3 And it even has a sequel now…
 
Book: Bleach(the whole series) by Tite Kubo (Mmkay…it's a manga, but it kicks ass! One of my favorite series.)
 
 
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Chapter 12
A New Mission
 
 
Saiiya walked into the room Konoha ninja went to receive missions. Tsunade stood up, waving Saiiya over as she moved out from her table and walked towards the door. “Saiiya, how are things at the Hyuga compound?” Saiiya raised an eyebrow, falling in step with the Hokage. “Fine…why do you ask?” Tsunade opened the door to a meeting room, Saiiya entering. “I saw you heading over there earlier.” Saiiya nodded. “I occasionally visit Hinata, Hanabi, and Neji.” Tsunade nodded as she closed the door. “I was just wondering. Anyways, have you been in contact with your team recently?”
 
The ANBU Captain shook her head. “Yesterday was the last time the four of us got together. We've been doing shifts in keeping guard. My break started today.” The blonde nodded in understanding as they both sat down at the table that had several papers on her end. Saiiya eyed the papers in front of the Hokage, but said nothing. “Good, how long will it last?” Saiiya thought a moment. “Three days.” ((A/N: …Grace!! XD sorry, I'm listening to TDG right now…)) Tsunade sorted through several papers. “Sekei's team isn't on any current missions, I'll send him to fill in for you.”
 
Saiiya furrowed her brow. “Tsunade-sama, what are you talking about?” Tsunade pulled out a piece of paper, handing it to the other kunoichi. “I have a mission I need you to go on.” Saiiya looked over the papers. “This is only an A-ranked mission, Tsunade-same, why do you need me?”
 
“Kurenai is the only other Genjutsu master in this village and she's currently on another mission. This mission calls for your area of expertise. Hatake Kakashi and Hyuga Neji will be joining you.”
 
Saiiya thought for a moment. “Isn't there always a fourth member, Tsunade-sama?” Tsunade looked up, her light brown eyes locking with Saiiya's emerald ones. “Are you telling me an ANBU Captain such as yourself cannot make up for a missing Jonin? Or should I have Kayrin replace you?” Saiiya bit the inside of her lip. “Of course not, Tsunade-sama.”
 
“Good. I thought you'd say that. You will be leaving in two days. The details are in there. Because it is only an A ranked mission, there is no need for your ANBU gear. You'll be gone for three weeks. Waste no time, Saiiya. I need you back ASAP. I may need Sekei on another mission.” Saiiya nodded. “Whenever Kakashi gets here, I'll brief him. I trust you'll inform Neji and the rest of your team?” Saiiya stood, picking up her papers. “Hai. Is that all?” Tsunade smiled. “No.” She leaned underneath the table and pulled out a bottle of Sake and two shot glasses. “Want some Sake?” Saiiya rolled her eyes.
 
“I'm not old enough, Tsunade-sama.” Tsunade waved her hand, scoffing. “I won't tell anyone. And if they find out, what'll they do? I'm the Hokage!” Saiiya grinned. “I'll pass.” Tsunade finished pouring both glasses. “Hm. Oh well, I'll drink for you.” Saiiya shook her head, still grinning, and walked out. She looked over her papers again. `My first mission with Neji…and with Kakashi as well… won't this be just oodles and oodles of fun?' she thought sourly, already seeing trouble ahead.
 
`Though I guess it could be worse…I could've gotten stuck with Hanabi and Naruto…' The ANBU Captain went over the scenario. Hanabi would tease Neji while Naruto tried to figure out what she was talking about. Saiiya shivered at the thought of Hanabi explaining it to Naruto and then having to deal with Hanabi pissing off Neji and Naruto's strange habits. She knew Kakashi was out with some friends, so instead of heading home, she headed out eat, seeing as she sucked at cooking.
 
She didn't feel like eating anything big, so she headed to the ramen shop. She wasn't surprised to see Sekei there, eating ramen. “Hey,” she greeted, plopping down in a seat next to him. “Hey, how'd things go with Neji?” Saiiya blushed profusely at the memory. “Fine…” she murmured, ordering pork ramen. Sekei's mischievous grin was back with a vengeance. “Oh, come ON, you have to tell me the juicy details!” he exclaimed, and Saiiya snorted, finding great interest in her hands. He leaned over and elbowed her lightly, his eyebrows wiggling. “So did you guys kiss?”
 
Saiiya glanced quickly over her shoulder, trying to sense if anyone was around. Thankfully, no one was. She sighed, leaning her head on her hand. “And if I did?” Sekei laughed. “I knew it.” Saiiya leaned forward, resting her head on her propped up arm. “Anyhow, you will tell NO one of our relationship, understood?” she asked threateningly, her eyes showing the seriousness of her order. Sekei chuckled and ruffled her hair fondly. “My lips are sealed,” he promised, watching as several thick layers of tension eased off of her.
 
When Saiiya received her ramen, she dug in, still managing to be neat as she ate. “I heard you were at Tsunade's getting a new mission…” he noted offhandedly, finishing his meal. Saiiya nodded. “I have an A-rank mission with two other Jonin in two days. You get to cover for me while I'm gone.” Sekei nodded. “What's the mission?” Saiiya shrugged. “I haven't read it yet. All I know is it involves Genjutsu. Hence the reason I'm going. Kurenai's gone on a mission.” Sekei grunted in reply, swallowing another bite of his ramen.
 
“So who are the other Jonin?” Saiiya fixated her gaze on her ramen. “Kakashi and…Neji…” Sekei laughed. “I think you'll enjoy this mission,” he mused, and Saiiya snorted as she flushed, bending over her noodles to avoid looking at the nin beside her. “Let me know how it goes. I'll take care of the little brats.” Saiiya rolled her eyes as she finished the last of her meal, handing the money to Ayame. She wiped her mouth off and stood. “They're pretty persistent, I hope you know.” Sekei stood up as well. “Of course they are. That's why an ANBU team is looking after them.”
 
Saiiya stretched her arms, eyeing him lazily. “Want to walk me home?” she questioned, yawning a bit. “Sure.” The pair walked out together. The sun was setting, causing the snow to glow a lovely orange color. “Mm…it's pretty,” Saiiya murmured, shoving her hands into her pockets. “If only it weren't so damn cold.” She shivered, and Sekei tossed his overcoat at her. “Don't get it dirty, or I'll wring your little neck,” Sekei warned playfully, and Saiiya chuckled, slipping it on. “Arigatou. So, how have things been going on with you?” she remarked offhandedly.
 
“Alright, I suppose. A lot of missions lately, but not much else.” Saiiya nodded in acknowledgement. “Tsunade-sama's been trying to get Konoha back into business. We still haven't completely recovered from that last attack from the Sound/Sand….” They both slipped into a comfortable silence until Saiiya's house came into view. When they got to her door, she turned, returning the cloak. “You gunna ask for a kiss goodbye too?” Sekei teased, and Saiiya stuck out her tongue. “If I did, then my boyfriend may get a bit jealous, now wouldn't he?” she asked, smirking as Sekei laughed. “Alright, I'll catch you later.”
 
They waved good-bye and Saiiya entered her house in a relatively good mood. She hopped up the stairs two at a time, flopping down onto her bed. She picked up her cell phone and dialed Neji's number. He answered after 3 rings, his smooth voice filling her mind and heart. “Hey,” was his greeting. Saiiya chuckled. “Hey, long time no see.” Neji's low chuckle sent chills down Saiiya's back. “We got a mission.” There was a pause. “Who's `we'?” “You, me, and Kakashi.” Neji grunted in response. “What's it about?” Saiiya shrugged even though Neji couldn't see.
 
“Dunno, I haven't read through the mission details yet.”
 
“You probably should.”
 
“But I'd rather talk to you.” Saiiya could hear him chuckle on the other end and then a silence. She was about to ask if he was still there when his voice startled her. “Go out with me.” Saiiya grinned. “Where to?” she asked, chewing on her lower lip in anticipation. “Somewhere. I don't care where. Just somewhere with you.”
 
“We'll have to wait until after the mission,” she noted, yawning.
 
“Alright. So then I'll see you tomorrow?”
 
“Sure.”
 
“I'll see you later.”
 
Saiiya smiled as she said her good-bye back and hung up. Closing her eyes, she fell asleep with the phone in her hands.
 
~*~
 
The next day Neji came over to discuss the mission details. He knocked on Saiiya's door, and a few seconds later, Kakashi opened it. “Morning,” he greeted roughly. Neji bowed his head, returning the greeting before entering the house. Kakashi closed the door and led the younger ninja to the kitchen. Saiiya was seated in a chair, leaning back so the front legs were off the ground and she was leaning precariously on the back to. She was sipping a cup of coffee and reading the mission scroll with a lazy expression, but after knowing the kunoichi for a while, it was obvious she was taking great care and learning about the mission.
 
Kakashi poured himself a cup of coffee. “There's tea on the stove,” Saiiya explained to Neji, taking a long drink from her mug. She made no move to greet him or anything, which both disappointed and amazed Neji. She really was a wonderful actress. He nodded and went to get himself a cup of tea. Once he was seated across from Kakashi, Saiiya leaned forward and let all four legs of the chair touch the floor. She laid the scroll in the middle of the table, setting her cup down and formed five seals. The scroll vibrated and a hologram formed over the scroll and displayed what their mission was.
 
Neji hadn't seen this kind of jutsu before, but neither Saiiya nor Kakashi seemed phased. “Okay, so we have to travel outside of the Fire Country, to our neighboring country. We have to disguise this man-” the young woman waved her hand over the hologram and it changed to the face of a healthy looking man in his late thirties. “-and his valuables while passing off as normal citizens. We have been ordered to slip him into a nearby town and for us to leave unnoticed. Normally this would only require one ninja, but Tsunade personally knows this man and he's a bit paranoid and wants extra protection, so Tsunade will provide it. The mission will take approximately three weeks and we are scheduled to leave tomorrow.”
 
The hologram dissipated and there was a silence following as each person took in the information. “Any questions?” she asked after a few minutes. They had none, so Saiiya got up, handing Neji the scroll. “Kakashi and I have already read it, keep it and look it over a few more times,” she ordered as he placed it in his coat. “Of course. Then I will see you both tomorrow morning?” he questioned, and the siblings nodded in unison. Without a word, Kakashi walked upstairs, leaving the two alone.
 
The couple walked to the door, and before Neji could speak, Saiiya's arms were around him and she planted a kiss on his lips. He returned it with vigor, his body warming at the sweet taste of her. They kissed for awhile before they broke off for air. “See you tomorrow,” she whispered, giving him a quick kiss before she opened the door. Neji chuckled. “You're remarkable, Hatake Saiiya.” He kissed her forehead before exiting the house to head home.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Author: FINALLY I've finished this chapter. I couldn't figure out how I wanted to write it….but I'll hopefully get another chapter up soon. As well as a few pictures… =) I think after over 800 views you guys deserve a few pics….