Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Key Through the Heart ❯ Chuunin Exam Prelims, Part 3 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

llIVoice of Destiny/Inner Sakura
 
“Normal Talking”
 
Thoughts/Sound Effects
 
“Flashback dialogue/Japanese/Emphasis of words”
 
“Demon speak”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Key Through the Heart
 
A fanfiction by Andrew J. Talon
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, or any of the characters or properties mentioned in this story. The story's mine, the concept is mine, but everything else is not mine. And I'm certainly not writing this for profit.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Hinata couldn't help but tremble, standing on the arena floor, the vast chamber seeming infinitely larger than she could recall. Everything seemed to make her feel small, helpless…
 
Weak.
 
Across from her, Naruto ground his teeth, face stone-like. The Keyblade was out in his hand, but seemed eager to vanish back wherever it usually stayed when not in use.
 
The two combatants stared at each other, a hush falling over the audience. Even Gaara, who had so far paid little attention to the matches, had both eyes firmly locked on Hinata and Naruto.
 
Sakura frowned above, tightly gripping the railing. Ino emulated her, watching with a blank face.
 
“This isn't good,” Tenten muttered. Nearby, Neji snorted. The brown-haired girl frowned and turned her head to regard her teammate. She blinked in disbelief at the cold smile now adorning his face.
 
“Neji?” She asked. Neji ignored her, grey eyes intensely focused.
 
Genma down below shook his head at the tension that had settled over the arena with this match.
 
Not too surprising, he thought. The Kyuubi container, against the Hyuuga heiress…
 
“Begin!” He stated, and backed off to a safe distance. The two fighters continued to stare at eachother.
 
“… C'mon, fight you weaklings!” Shouted Kankuro, shaking his fist. The way Gaara had become almost obsessed with the blond kid clearly meant there was something… Unique about him, but so far, aside from that key-thing he wielded the boy wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
 
“A-Ano…” Hinata began, but stopped as she shook more. Naruto grimaced, and took the Keyblade in both hands.
 
“Hinata-chan…” Naruto began, “the match… It's begun…” He shrugged.
 
Hinata didn't respond, her fingers tapping each other irregularly. Naruto ground his teeth again, irritated. He didn't know what to do!
 
“Are you okay?” The blond asked. Hinata opened her mouth to respond, but a cold voice from above answered for her.
 
“As expected… Utterly pathetic,” sneered Neji, just loud enough to be heard. Naruto looked up and glared at Neji.
 
“Hey! Shut up you!”
 
Neji smirked.
 
“But it's true… Hinata-sama's showing her true self, as I always knew she would. A coward, and a weakling.” Neji moved forward and continued, slightly louder.
 
“You hear me, don't you Hinata-sama? You have no place in this tournament, in this life. You are pitiful. You tremble before another loser, someone fate deems even less than you, something I did not believe possible until today…”
 
“Neji, that's enough,” Gai said flatly, without any of his usual exuberance. Neji ignored him, and continued his tirade, Hinata flinching at each of his words as though she were being struck.
 
“Why don't you just give up now? You're obviously too weak to go through with this, withdraw like we all know you-!”
 
“SHUT UP!” Naruto roared angrily. He turned to Hinata, who was shakily raising her hand.
 
“A-A-Ano, Proctor, I-!”
 
“Hinata!” Naruto shouted. Hinata jumped, hand wavering. She looked down at the stone floor, ashamed… The blond took a deep breath.
 
“Hinata… Fight me.”
 
The blue-tressed girl looked up in shock, taking a step back. Naruto offered her a small smile.
 
“W-W-What?!”
 
“Fight me, Hinata,” Naruto repeated, voice calm and even. “Hit me with everything you've got.”
 
Hinata gaped in disbelief.
 
“Wh-What? Why?”
 
“Hinata…” Naruto bit his lower lip, but pressed on, trying to find the right words.
 
“You'd only ever be weak to me if you gave up… And you're not. You're not going to let some asshole tear you down without a fight, are you?”
 
Hinata shook her head, not believing what she was hearing. Naruto-kun… Naruto-kun wants to fight me?
 
“B-But, if I give up, y-you'd win and m-move ahead,” Hinata stuttered. Naruto smiled, almost sadly and shook his head.
 
“No, I wouldn't be winning… You'd just have given up. And… And I don't call that a win. I wouldn't want to become a chuunin without proving that I didn't get through because…. Because my opponents felt sorry for me.” Naruto looked her in the eyes as intensely as he could.
 
“Hinata… Prove that asshole wrong! Prove that you're not weak!”
 
Hinata continued to tremble, eyes shining with unshed tears.
 
“B-B-But I can't! I can't!”
 
Neji actually laughed above, something that made Hinata go rigid.
 
“Give it up, you… No one can change, a loser will always be a loser. That's how life works.”
 
That's how life works… Echoed in Hinata's mind.
 
“I don't care what happens to Hinata…”
 
“Just as I expected, a weakling…”
 
“You should just give up now…”
 
Hinata was breathing hard now, settling into a somewhat crooked Jyuken stance. The memories Neji's words brought up were so painful, so agonizing… Her father, her sister, other members of her family… Ever since her uncle had died, the compound had become so cold to Hinata. Her family regarding her like an embarrassment to ignore and turn away from…
 
No… No… I won't give up, I WON'T!
 
“SHUT THE HELL UP OR I'LL MAKE YOU SHUT UP!” Naruto bellowed, shaking his fist at Neji again. He turned to Hinata, teeth grit.
 
“Hinata, fight me! As hard as you can! You can change, you don't have to be weak! Don't let him control you! FIGHT ME-ACK!”
 
Naruto brought up his Keyblade just in time to block Hinata's first strike. He was amazed at the heat of her hand, the visible chakra flashing against his weapon. Naruto reflexively pushed chakra into his Keyblade to help repel the blast, just as Hinata's other hand came around, open-palm.
 
DAMN! His mind shouted as the hand touched his shoulder, just before he spun away from Hinata. Her hand had felt like fire, only it was burning on the inside!
 
Taking cues from his Keyblade Naruto dropped down, swinging for Hinata's ankles. She jumped over the strike and twisted in mid-air, her grey eyes bulging with veins to indicate that her bloodline was active, her face fierce in determination. Naruto rolled out of the way, barely getting back to his feet, now forced to parry Hinata's blows with his left hand as his right shoulder was still burning in pain.
 
Kicking off the arena floor he forward-flipped over Hinata, swinging for her shoulder. She cried out in pain as the sharp teeth of the Keyblade's hand slashed through her jacket into her skin, but even as Naruto had twisted into a landing she was pulling kunai and throwing them. Naruto, letting the Keyblade guide his actions, stood his ground and blocked every one with the weapon, gritting his teeth and reaching up to the handle of his weapon. He bent one knee and charged forward as Hinata did the same, her pale hands blazing with chakra.
 
He ducked to his right and swung, batting away her hands while he twisted on one foot to slam the other into the side of her stomach. Hinata fell back with the blow, twirling around to slam one hand into the Keyblade while the other moved for his throat.
 
Naruto fell on his back and shoved one foot out into Hinata's stomach, making her gasp as he pulled her weight forward. His other foot he had rechambered and kicked it into Hinata's stomach hard enough to throw her off Naruto, crashing to the arena floor a few feet above him. Naruto groaned but got back up, as Hinata recovered almost as quickly, a hand straying to her stomach and holding it. The blond panted but waited, wanting to see Hinata's next move. He'd almost thought she had gone berserker, but the way she'd fought made it clear she was thinking through her movements.
 
Definitely NOT weak, he decided, though maybe's she snapped a little… What the hell?!
 
Hinata had unzipped her coat and let it fall to the arena floor with a louder-than-expected thud, as though it was weighted. Naruto's eyes slowly climbed back up to Hinata's torsoe… And he blushed.
 
Holy shit she's… She's…
 
“Wow,” he muttered. Hinata, no longer in her previous fury, blushed at how her violet undershirt was tight enough to show just how developed she really was.
 
“What the… Hinata's got boobs?” Sakura gaped. Self-consciously she looked at her somewhat meager chest and flushed. Ino sighed, shaking her head.
 
Oh well, I'm still better than Forehead, the blonde decided with a smirk.
 
Hinata shook her head, and resumed her fighting stance. Naruto did as well… And smiled when Hinata smiled shyly back.
 
“N-Naruto-kun… N-No holding back?” She asked. Naruto grinned and nodded.
 
“No holding back,” he responded, and charged. Hinata stood her ground, Byakugan activated. She moved fluidly with Naruto's first blow, deflecting most of the momentum with a Jyuken burst, and bent down to deliver a leg sweep at Naruto. The blond leaped, curling and spinning his Keyblade to slam it into her head. Hinata fell back, the Keyblade missing by inches, as she threw another chakra-charged palm at Naruto's side. She struck him in the arm again, and he fell back, performing a one-handed cartwheel to put some distance between them.
 
Both stood back up, staring at each other, breathing hard. Naruto licked his lips, and smiled apologetically.
 
“Hinata-chan, I'd like to say I'm sorry,” he said. Hinata blinked.
 
“For what?”
 
Naruto held up his hands, forming a cross over the hilt of the Keyblade.
 
KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!” Three dozen more Narutos poofed into existence, the resulting crowd surrounding Hinata. The original just grinned at the shocked look Hinata was giving him.
 
“For underestimating you,” Naruto said honestly. Hinata blinked once or twice… Before a strange, almost peaceful smile came onto her face. Naruto smiled back, looking relieved. Hinata assumed a defensive Jyuken stance, and the Kage Bunshins as one grinned, Keyblades at the ready.
 
Charge!” Hinata's Byakugan allowed her to track the incoming bunshins, slamming her hands into each pair that attacked. The original frowned, watching this curiously.
 
Damn, it's like she can see in all directions! So how do I beat her…? Wait, I've got it!
 
Naruto had eight clones charge her at once, and made several more to screen his movements. Hinata slammed her palms into two, turning them to smoke and barely avoiding another two's Keyblades by jumping away, spinning around to face the next pair.
 
But even with the ability to see almost 360 degrees around her, Hinata could be fooled.
 
“U!” Shouted a clone jumping through the smoke of the two clones Hinata had just iced, swinging a chakra-charged Keyblade at her ankles and sending her falling back with a gasp.
 
“ZU! MA! KI!” The next clones shouted, sliding between the legs of other bunshins on three sides of Hinata and kicking her up into the air. Hinata looked up and gaped as the original Naruto jumped into view above her.
 
“NARUTO RENDAN!” Hinata shut her eyes, awaiting the final blow… But was pleasantly surprised to feel herself be taken in a warm embrace as she descended, her savior holding her in his arms. Her Byakugan showed that it was Naruto who was now carrying her bridal style, embarrassed smile on his face. Her face went bright red.
 
“Er, sorry, I went a little overboard and… Hinata-chan? You okay? Hinata-chan?”
 
Naruto blinked, and looked up, the hand not supporting the now-limp Hyuuga rubbing the back of his head. He closed his eyes.
 
“Er… She passed out…”
 
Ignoring the face faults occurring all around the arena, Genma walked over to Hinata and checked for himself.
 
“Yep, she's out. Winner, Uzumaki Naruto!”
 
The medic ninja came over and Naruto gently set Hinata down on the stretcher. The medics carried her away, and the blond simply watched her depart, wincing and holding his shoulder. He turned to smirk triumphantly at Neji… Who was smirking back.
 
“Indeed… Just as I said,” he stated.
 
THUNK!
 
Neji only raised an eyebrow as he turned his eyes just enough to see the Keyblade, vibrating slightly from the force of Naruto's throw. Tenten gaped at the fact that the weapon's toothed crown was imbedded all the way in the wall.
 
Neji looked back down at Naruto, eyebrow still raised. Naruto held out his hand and the Keyblade returned to it's wielder, who held it aloft and pointed it at the Hyuuga. The meaning was clear, as Neji stared impassively at Naruto's defiant glare.
 
“Neji,” Naruto called loudly, weapon still aloft, “You better not get scared and run away—because I'm gonna crush you.”
 
Neji's lip curled slightly into an almost unnoticeable sneer. Tenten grimaced and looked away—hoping she could subtly disassociate herself from her team member.
 
“Like I'd waste my time on a loser like you,” Neji jeered, and crossed his arms firmly, making a great show of looking down his nose at Naruto, who glared back hostilely.
 
You—”
 
“Hey,” Tenten interrupted, just loud enough to be heard by both boys, but keeping her voice carefully blank so no one could accuse her of butting in. “They're starting up the next match.”
 
Dutifully, the remaining gennin turned towards the monitor, watching indecipherable characters flit across the screen. Tenten tensed, her fingers itching to wrap around one of her blades. Would this match be hers…?
 
Kin Tsuchi versus Akadou Yoroi
 
Tenten grimaced—didn't look like this one was hers either. Down below her, Naruto shot an apathetic look towards the two competing ninjas, before summoning the Keyblade back to his hand and resting it on his shoulder. He turned to go, took a few steps, glared at Neji, and then continued out; following the retreating medics.
 
Tenten waited until he was out of earshot before rounding on the Hyuuga. “Jeez Neji, you didn't have to be so mean.”
 
Neji stared at her blankly for a few seconds, just long enough to make her uncomfortable, before deciding that she was worthy of his divine attention.
 
“I wasn't aware of the depths of your affections towards Uzumaki, Tenten,” he observed.
 
Tenten glowered. How dare he insinuate that she would involve her emotions! If they were romantic or not, that wasn't the issue!
 
“You know I'm not like that, Neji,” Tenten replied icily, and braced one of her feet against the rail, “I'm just saying it wouldn't kill you to play nice with the other kids once in a while.”
 
“I don't play,” Neji said quietly, “It's not good to be attached to things when you're a ninja. You end up losing—fate has already decidedly what it shall take away from us.”
 
Tenten snorted, “It's called therapy, Neji.” She pushed herself upwards, landing lightly on the arena's floor and jogging after Naruto. Neji stared after her for a moment, before returning his attention to empty space… And memories.
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
“Whoa,” Ino leaned eagerly over the railing, watching Naruto stalk off. “Wish I'd fought him—”
 
“Ino!” Sakura hissed, furiously trying to will the sudden flush from her cheeks. “Would you knock it off already?! He's not even attractive—he's just…He's Naruto!” She finished somewhat lamely, and shot the other girl a sharp glance. Ino whistled lowly, and raised her eyebrows meaningfully.
 
“That would be the point, forehead.”
 
“I—you—just…Shut up, pig.” Sakura sighed, and rubbed tiredly at her temples, trying to ignore the almost psychotic cackle Ino was giving off. Despite her best efforts, she still noticed when Ino suddenly fell silent. Opening her eyes worriedly, she glanced over at her friend—
 
….Oh no….
 
It was him.
 
“Uzumaki,” Gaara said, his voice creepily devoid of emotion, “Is your teammate?” Sakura swallowed, clenching her hands tightly.
 
“What do you want?” She asked slowly, barely aware of Ino stepping up beside her, offering her support. It was odd—that…that weird feeling she had gotten from fighting Ino was coming back. It was cold—and alien to her. It felt almost like another energy source, like another chakra tap. But, chakra was warm…
 
Maybe, Sakura had a flash on insight, the voice inside her head had a power too? Maybe this was her chakra?
 
Nope, the voice informed her, But we've got a ready victim right in front of us. You want to test it out?
 
Thanks, but I'll pass, Sakura thought sarcastically, Unlike you, I seem to have a sense of self-preservation.
 
That's harsh. He's probably just a giant teddy bear.
 
More like he'd EAT teddy bears—
 
“I want to kill him,” Gaara said. It took her a moment to remember who they were talking about, but when she did, it was hard to control the sudden protective rage inside of her. Beside her, Ino was trembling—probably from chakra exhaustion and fear.
 
Sakura forced herself to smile nastily, “Good luck,” she said coolly, and turned away dismissively, her hands shaking, already bracing herself for the splinter of sand Kiba had warned them of.
 
But Gaara didn't attack them. Instead, he stared darkly at the doorway through which the genin had gone, his circled eyes narrowed.
 
Uzumaki…You haven't shown us everything yet, have you…?
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
This guy, Kin realized, is one of Orochimaru-sama's spies. What am I supposed to do in this situation? Should I lose on purpose so that he'll be able to continue on undercover?
 
Her opponent leered at her, noticeable even under his mask and dark glasses. She stiffened as she felt his gaze sweep over her body.
 
Screw it, she decided. She was just going to kick his ass and figure out what to do from there.
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
Tenten walked quickly along the hallways. She didn't have much time until Kin's match ended, and automatic disqualification because she had been absent was not an option. Fortunately, the infirmary wasn't far from the battle area.
 
Respectfully, she slid the door back after knocking twice. A few of the medics looked up, acknowledging her disinterestedly before returning to their duties. She skimmed over the other patients in the room quickly, before spotting Naruto in the far corner, his shoulder treatment seeming to be forcibly applied. Tenten took a steadying breath, and approached.
 
“Hey,” Tenten waved awkwardly, padding over to stand beside Hinata's bedside. The medic who had been poking at Naruto's shoulder abruptly stood, gracing her with an understanding look before bustling away. Tenten watched their retreat. What had that been all about?
 
“Oh. Hi.” Naruto blinked at her suspiciously, but at least he didn't whip out the keyblade and start attacking. Tenten settled herself down gingerly, and tried for a smile. Several stretched seconds passed, and Tenten found herself fidgeting under his narrowed gaze.
 
“I, uh… is Hinata okay?” She tried as a diversion tactic. And glanced down at the slumbering girl. Naruto blinked, casting a concerned eye over Hinata.
 
Tenten found herself impatient for him to stop surveying her.
 
“Yeah, she's going to be fine. I feel sorta bad though… Actually, not really. My shoulder hurts like a bitch.” Naruto laughed, and rubbed wearily at his wound. Tenten's lips twitched up, a flashback of Hinata going berserk flickering through her mind.
 
“She's going to like that. You both fought well.” The compliment tacked onto the end hadn't been a part of her game plan. Nervously, she started inspecting her nails, pretending that her dearest wish wasn't to sink into the floor.
 
Why am I so nervous all of a sudden?
 
“Yeah, Hinata's really amazing. I never knew she could be so tough! And her technique is awesome. I mean, all of us can chuck stuff, but her-Wow! She can, like, shoot chakra out of her hands! It's so awesome!” Naruto babbled enthusiastically, waving his hands around in excitement. The bubbles of giddy nervousness within Tenten abruptly popped, leaving her cold and empty.
 
“Yeah,” Tenten pretended to nod along, thinking about all the times Neji had blasted her
with his `cool chakra.'
 
So what if she didn't have any special abilities? So what if she wasn't from some great ninja clan with unique abilities? So what if she wasn't anything special? So what if she was a year older and taller then Hinata but more flat-chested and what did that have to do with anything?!
 
“I guess it is.” She pulled a fake smile, and then turned to go, her hands tensed and lips tight. She felt stupid for coming here. Shouldn't she have been loosening up her muscles or…?
 
“Hey! Isn't your match soon? I mean, um… Why are you here?” Naruto called her back,
effectively destroying her pity party. The temptation to hit the Hyuuga (either one) was certainly strong.
 
“Nothing really. I just wanted to apologize about Neji.” She ground out, and pushed her hands heavily into her dark green pants.
 
“Why can't Neji apologize for Neji?” Naruto grumbled. He plopped down onto the floor, sitting cross legged and squinting up at her, a pout in place. The word cute was insisting its way into her mind. Not only was it irritating, but it was totally killing her bad mood.
 
Tenten firmly reminded herself that she liked. Older. Boys. Definitely not younger boys who disregarded her best (and favorite) skill…
 
“I'm working on it. It took a while to teach him how to talk. Social interaction's the next step. But anyway, I'm sorry that he offended you and Hinata.” Tenten muttered dryly, leaning lightly against the infirmary door frame.
 
Naruto's eyes nearly popped out his head, his gape being truly impressive. After a few seconds though, he started laughing, and after a moment of reflexive tensing, Tenten relaxed as well.
 
“It's not you I'm mad at, Tenten, really,” he explained with a grin. “But… Thanks. I appreciate it.”
 
She smiled back, suddenly shy. She turned to go.
 
“Well… If you need anything, um…”
 
Naruto nodded back.
 
“I got it,” he said quietly. Tenten nodded one last time, and headed out, as Naruto turned back to his lone vigil on the unconscious Hinata.
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
Kin produced a small flute from her weapons pouch. The instrument seemed unremarkable, save for a pair of metal feathered wings on either side of the end far from the mouthpiece. Twirling it dramatically she brought it to her lips and began to blow a haunting tune. It was unsettling while at the same time beautiful, everyone watching feeling the music roll over their senses powerfully.
 
Kurenai frowned, and exchanged glances with Kakashi. The silver-haired ninja nodded.
 
“What's she doing? The guy… He's just standing there,” Ino frowned, eyes narrowed at Yoroi. The masked ninja was transfixed, eyes locked onto Kin. A dark aura began to flow around him.
 
“And what the hell is that around him?” She added. Shikamaru sighed.
 
“What are you talking about? There isn't an aura around him,” the lazy ninja indicated. Ino snarled.
 
“What, are you blind or something?! Can't you see it? I mean, it's flowing all over him!”
 
“I can see it too…” Sakura said with a grimace. “What is that stuff?”
 
“It looks like she's placing him in a genjutsu, using the music to manipulate his senses,” Shino supplied analytically. His brow furrowed slightly. “Though I too cannot see any aura.”
 
Kurenai's frown deepened, her arms crossed over her chest. First that strange power, now this?
Like any other jounin, she could see the waves of chakra in the air as the genjutsu took effect, but not as some kind of dark aura. Is it affecting them too?
 
Kin, all the while, had been moving closer to Yoroi, still playing her entrancing tune. When she was close enough, she produced a kunai.
 
SLASH!
 
Yoroi fell, his throat cut. He tried to scream but only blood burbled out of his mouth. Genma moved forward as the medic ninja rushed to the injured boy's side. The jounin coughed and nodded, turning to the arena at large.
 
“Winner, Tsuchi Kin!” The long haired kunoichi smirked, and twirled her flute again before bowing, as though she had just finished a concert for an admiring audience. She walked back up to the catwalk, black eyes on a certain disguised jounin. He smiled back, and Kin felt elated.
 
Yes! I've proved myself to you, Orochimaru-sama! And this is only the beginning!
 
Kakashi poofed back in, and Sakura turned to him, anxiety in her eyes.
 
“Kakashi-sensei, everything okay? I mean… There wasn't anything wrong with Sasuke-kun, right?”
 
Kakashi gave her a reassuring eye-smile. Better she doesn't know…
 
“Aa, yes. He's fine. Where's Naruto?”
 
“He's with Hinata,” Tenten spoke up quietly, leaning against the railing and looking down at the arena floor nearby. Lee and Gai couldn't contain themselves at hearing this.
 
“YOSH! Naruto-san is truly youthful, staying at the side of Hinata-san! After such a battle, comforting his opponent! Gai-sensei, I swear to you I shall be JUST AS HONORABLE!”
 
Gai grinned magnanimously at his beloved student.
 
“No Lee, you must resolve to be TWICE as honorable and youthful!”
 
Lee smacked himself in the head.
 
“OF COURSE! Gai-sensei, what was I thinking? I shall be twice as youthful, and honorable as Naruto-san in my battle, or I shall run one thousand laps around Konoha on my hands!”
 
“EXCELLENT MY BELOVED STUDENT! LEE!”
 
Genma cleared his throat.
 
“Ahem! The next match is-!”
 
“GAI-SENSEI!”
 
Genma became slightly annoyed. “I SAID-!”
 
“LEE!”
 
“GAI-SENSEI!”
 
“TSUME TENTEN AND SUNA NO TEMARI! DOWN HERE! FOR YOUR MATCH!” Genma bellowed. Gai and Lee were instantly humbled by his fierce glare. Tenten's eyes narrowed as across the arena, the older Sand kunoichi smirked.
 
“Tenten, good luck! I am SURE you will be victorious!” Gai cheered, teeth gleaming as he gave her a thumbs up. Lee next to her grinned and copied the gesture. Tenten smiled back, and saluted with a jaunty smile of her own.
 
“Thanks Gai-sensei. Don't worry, I won't let you down!”
 
Finally! Time to go to work!
 
Thought even as Tenten leapt to the floor below, her brown eyes wandered back, looking for a familiar blond…
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
I know, long delay. Sorry guys, math class and real life are things that must be dealt with first. And again, I must modify the story due to mental fatigue. Chuunin exam conclusion next chapter!
 
I have been experimenting with varying my writing style a little, trying to emphasize inner emotional turmoil. Also, at the suggestion of my beta reader I decided to try having a little moment between Tenten and Naruto that was mainly told from her POV, and since my beta is a girl I took her advice on what Tenten might be going through. Tell me what you think of it.
 
Yes, I gave Kin a fairy flute. Bells are just… Lame.
 
Ino's still having fun teasing Sakura. That never gets old.
 
On the pairings issue: To be completely honest I just chose `Naruharem' because that way I didn't have to restrict myself to building Naruto's relationship with any one girl. The focus here though has always been on `friendships first, anything more later'. So, your favorite pairing may come true, it may not. You'll just have to keep reading, because any progression on the romance front is going to be slow and steady. Rushing it just makes it cheap.
 
As always, please review, even if to tell me it sucks. Be honest about what I should improve and what I could focus less/more on. Thank you.
 
And now, something I always enjoy showcasing… Omakes!
 
By Captain Sarcasm:
 
“Alright,” said Kakashi into his headset. In the clearing below him, a group of Sound Ninjas were making camp for the night. “Everybody confirm that you're in position.”
 
“Check,” said Sasuke.
 
“Roger,” said Sakura.
 
“Believe it,” said guess who.
 
“Good,” said Kakashi. “Now, in this mission, the most important factor is the element of surprise, so we'll all need to-”
 
“Surprise?” shouted Naruto. “That's perfect! I've been taking lessons from a master in surprise entrances! Just watch this, guys!”
 
“No!”
 
“Naruto-o-o…”
 
“Oh boy…”
 
A cloud of orange smoke appeared in the middle of the camp.
 
“I am the terror that stabs in the night!” somebody shouted, as the smoke began to clear. “I am the poor casting choice that ruins your favorite show!”
 
Naruto jumped out of the smoke and flipped in the air, a kunai in either hand.
 
“I am NARUTO UZUMAKI!”
 
He landed… in the middle of a small circle of Chunin.
 
“Oh snap.”
 
“Kakashi-Sensei, should we help him?”
 
“…give it a minute.”
 
 
By Yamimaru
 
Naruto stared at his opponents, sizing them up. There was a fat guy, a guy with three
arms, a red haired chick that looked and sounded like a royal b*, and a guy who
appearently had two heads. Raising his left eyebrow and opening his mouth, our hero was
about to make a comment, only to have Kiba beat him to the punch.
 
"This proves it! Orochimaru is a freak collector! The six armed and two headed guys are
all the evidence needed!" Kiba shouted before laughing.
 
Tayuya looked at Sakon and Kidoumaru with a grin on her face, wondering just how the dog
boy had managed to piss them off just a few seconds after meeting the two but then realized
that it was probably him calling them freaks. The two had already activated their curse
seals, Ukon had been woken up by the dog boy's loud voice, and they all looked ready to go
into their curse seal level 2 forms. Mean while, Kiba's teammates were looking at him.
 
"Uh, why are you all looking at me like that?"
 
The other four members of the team spoke simultaneously, and said the exact same thing:
 
"Ever hear of a little thing called 'tact' Kiba?"
 
By RagingDragon04
 
(Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi were in the gummi ship arriving on one of the worlds)
 
Naruto came down of the ship really exited as everyone exited lazy like.
 
"Whats wrong you guys?" asked Naruto.
 
"Isnt this exciting and cool!" said Naruto as he pointed around.
 
"Yeah... whatever dope" said Sasuke as he put his arms in his pockets.
 
"Whats so great Naruto... its just like in Konoha?" asked Sakura as she pointed at the
normal houses and trees.
 
"Eh?... but what about the cool dinosaurs?" asked Naruto.
 
"What? What dinosaurs?" asked a confused Sakura as Kakashi ignored them and got out his
book and started reading as he made his way back to the ship.
 
Naruto followed Kakashi half way... Kakashi entered the ship as Naruto stood outside the
stairs to enter the ship.
 
Sasuke looked around as he and Sakura didnt see anything.
 
"You dope, there is no dinosaurs he-" said Sasuke until he saw something behind Sakura...
 
It was a Jiraiya sized Dinosaur... it was purple... with a green belly... and it was
smiling?...
 
"Yeah... the one behind you Sakura" said Naruto as Sakura screamed as she yelped and ran
foward... after a good distance she stared at the abomination in front of her.
 
"It... It...It's... a dinosaur?" said Sakura as she shaked in fear.
 
"It looks harmless doesnt it teme?" said Naruto as Sasuke stared at the dinosaur.
 
"Not really, tch... what a lame dragon" said Sasuke as he looked away disgusted.
 
The dinosaur moved close to Sasuke, as Sasuke raised an eyebrow
 
"I love you, you love me we're a happy family, with a big great hug and kiss from me to
you wont you say you love me too" sang the horrible dinosaur... as Sasuke twitched as the
dragon hugged him and then kissed him.
 
Inner Sakura: CHA! WTF! I'LL KILL THAT PIECE OF SH@T! HOW DARE HE HUG AND KISS SASUKE-KUN!
 
Meanwhile Naruto was laughing as the Dinosaur kissed and hugged Sasuke. When it finished
it slowly started walking towards Sakura.
 
"Ah! No!" screamed Sakura as she jumped into the ship.
 
Then he looked at Naruto and started walking again... with a big smile and wide open eyes.
 
Naruto twitched as the dinosaur looked at him.
 
Suddenly something tapped on the dinosaurs shoulder and as he turned around he met the
kick on of an Uchiha to the balls. And summoned his key blade... Avenger.
 
"You never! And I mean never! Kiss an Uchiha!" said Sasuke as he somehow summoned Naruto's keyblade... in Oblivion mode and started whooping Barney's tail...
 
Remember kids… You never kiss and hug an Uchiha… Unless you're looking to die.