Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Key Through the Heart ❯ Chuunin Exam Prelims, Part 4 ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

llIVoice of Destiny/Inner Sakura
 
“Normal Talking”
 
Thoughts/Sound Effects
 
“Flashback dialogue/Japanese/Emphasis of words”
 
“Demon speak”
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Key Through the Heart
 
A fanfiction by Andrew J. Talon
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, or any of the characters or properties mentioned in this story. The story's mine, the concept is mine, but everything else is not mine. And I'm certainly not writing this for profit.
 
Author's Note: Holy snap! Over 700 reviews! You guys like me, you really like me!
 
… Okay, that's enough of that. In all seriousness though, thank you everyone who has supported this story, despite the fact that I've had to edit it myself for the most part for lack of a regular beta reader and my own impulsiveness.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The hot springs district of Konoha was luxurious, compliments of the village's fantastic economy. For extremely low prices anyone could relax in the open-air, naturally heated pools and springs.
 
Like everything in a shinobi village, however, there was a hidden side to the hot spring district's quality. In this case, it was not so much a dark secret as a… Perverted one.
 
The village's overall success in the business of the shadows would not on its own provide enough capital to create such fantastic springs and bathhouses, no. A fair amount of the funding came from a man who had built his vast personal fortune on bathhouses and his observations therein.
 
Said man was now chuckling pervertedly, binoculars trained on an open air bath filled with giggling, buxom women, another thing Konoha had in great supply and quality.
 
“Oh ho ho… Excellent, simply excellent,” he murmured, furiously taking notes.
 
“Glad to see some things never change,” a bemused voice said. Jiraiya smirked, never taking his eyes off his research subjects.
 
“Well, you appreciate this more than anyone, I believe,” the Toad Sage replied. “What do you need, Kakashi?”
 
The one-eyed jounin shrugged, crouching down next to Jiraiya and watching the women bathe and frolic for a few moments.
 
“I need to borrow your ship.”
 
Jiraiya frowned.
 
“Your student?”
 
Kakashi nodded gravely.
 
“I have to get him away from Orochimaru… In addition, he needs a lot of training if he's going to be ready for the Chuunin Exam Finals.”
 
“Already made it through, did he?” Jiraiya chuckled. “Not bad, not bad at all…”
 
Kakashi eye-smiled.
 
“Well, he is the last Uchiha, after all…”
 
The silence that followed was uncomfortable for a moment. Kakashi frowned and looked at Jiraiya.
 
“… I see,” Jiraiya said simply. He turned back to his binoculars, a frown on his aged face. Kakashi blinked.
 
“You thought I-?”
 
“Yes…”
 
Kakashi sighed.
 
“I would train Naruto as well… But considering that Orochimaru has made Sasuke his main target… And you know how much damage he could do with the Sharingan.”
 
Jiraiya nodded, humming thoughtfully.
 
“I suggest Traverse Town… Little, out of the way world. Plenty of low-level Heartless to use for training purposes. Also, many warriors and shinobi from other places he can learn from.”
 
Kakashi nodded. “Thank you.”
 
“You're welcome. The coordinates are in the ship's computer,” the Sannin went on. He paused. “Have you arranged for someone to train your other students?”
 
“One has not made it to the finals, however I've lined up some scrolls and jutsus for her to learn from. The other… I've gotten one of the best jounin instructors in the village for him.” Kakashi shrugged. “Honestly, he only needs help with his chakra control and basic tactics…”
 
“What about his weapon… And tenant?” Jiraiya asked flatly. “Your tutor able to handle teaching him about that?”
 
“Of course not,” Kakashi sighed. “I will, of course, instruct him myself later. But Orochimaru has business in this village… And that business includes Sasuke. I would rather keep him out of his reach.”
 
“Unless, of course, Orochimaru has aligned with the Heartless,” Jiraiya grunted. “Considering the Keyblade's bearer was chosen here…”
 
“I know, I know… But, Sasuke needs to get out, to meet people who don't know anything about Uchihas or massacres. He needs to be taught that power is for protecting others, not vengeance.”
 
“You really think you can teach him that?”
 
“I have to try…”
 
Jiraiya nodded.
 
“Allright… Just be sure to set my ship to come back here on auto-pilot when you arrive. A man named Cid can get you another ship with which to return. Just tell him to put it on my tab,” the Sannin instructed. Kakashi nodded.
 
“Thank you, Jiraiya-sama.” POOF! The Kage Bunshin vanished, leaving a thoughtful Sannin behind.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Blades are not weapons. Blades are only tools. I am the weapon. I am the weapon.
 
Tenten felt her breath fill her lungs, and exhaled, slowly. She let go of her emotions as she had so many times before.
 
“Begin!” Coughed Hayate, safely out of the line of fire between the two kunoichi. Tenten struck first, two kunai instantly out of her pouches and airborne, screaming for the blonde Sand kunoichi. Temari merely smirked and seemed to flicker, the kunai striking the stone floor. Tenten blinked.
 
What the…?
 
“TENTEN! DON'T GIVE UP!” Lee roared.
 
“SHOW HER THE STRENGTH OF YOUR YOUTH!” Gai-sensei cheered.
 
Temari's smirk grew a little more.
 
“Got your own personal fanclub of morons to support you, hm?”
 
Tenten gritted her teeth, but willed herself to calm down.
 
Don't let her provoke you… Tenten sped up, four kunai launching from her pouches, with four shuriken tailing this salvo. Again, Temari seemed to flicker and the projectiles went off course. Tenten narrowed her eyes as Temari casually stretched a hand back over her shoulder, resting it against the fan on her back.
 
Fan… Wind Country… Wind user! Of course!
 
Tenten leapt above Temari, eight more kunai raining down on the blonde, which the Sand kunoichi again casually deflected. Her smirk widened as Tenten landed behind her in a crouch.
 
“Is that all you can do? Throw things at me?” She snorted haughtily. Tenten smirked back, and produced a scroll from her pouch.
 
“Not quite!” Tenten took to the air again, a salvo of steel again leaving her fingertips, but they were soon filled with a larger, more deadly weapon. Temari scowled as she brought her fan out completely to block the blade of the staff the weapons specialist brought to bear.
 
CLANG! Tenten pulled back her staff and spun elegantly around, swinging the pole back at Temari. The wind user blocked this with her large fan as well, eyes narrowed.
 
“So, you do have some fight in you?” Temari observed, continuing to block and dodge Tenten's lightening fast swings and thrusts. Already Temari was analyzing the girl's fighting style. The staff complimented her thin, agile body, bending as she did with every graceful movement. But it was obvious she was wasting more energy in her movements than she had to. Those dramatic flairs she kept adding to every step and swing, like she was performing…
 
“Plenty!” Tenten smirked, slamming the butt of her pole into the stone floor as Temari blocked once more and swinging herself around, trying to slam her feet into the Sand kunoichi's side. Temari saw the move coming and leapt away, getting some distance between the two. Tenten seemed to break the staff into two and spun around twin escrima sticks, rushing forward.
 
Temari merely opened her fan, a single purple spot staring as the Sand kunoichi swung her weapon, unleashing a gale-force wind that blasted Tenten off her feet.
 
“TENTEN!” Cried Lee and Gai.
 
“Come on Tenten! Don't let your youthful flames be blown out!” Gai bellowed. Kakashi raised an eyebrow at his `eternal rival', and then shared a look with Asuma. The son of the Third Hokage smirked.
 
“Pay up. I knew he was going to say it.”

Kakashi sighed and handed over some ryo bills. “Serves me right for trying to be an optimist for once…”
 
Tenten groaned and got to her feet, and felt anger burn inside her as Temari smirked at her, standing across the arena floor, utterly untouched.
 
“You can't hit me, you can't strike me-Just what are you going to do?” The Sand kunoichi asked mockingly. Tenten took a deep breath, rubbing a bruise on her cheek.
 
Damnit, calm down! Focus! There's gotta be a way around her defenses!
 
Naruto walked back into the arena from the infirmary, and made his way up the steps. He settled himself onto the railing and grinned as he saw Tenten and Temari's match.
 
“Go Tenten! Woo hoo! Show her who's boss!”
 
“YES TENTEN! SHOW HER YOUR SPRING WILL NOT GO OUT OF BLOOM SO EASILY!” Gai yelled, Lee cheering with all his might next to him. Tenten winced, but couldn't hold back a smile.
 
“Well, looks like your boyfriend came back to cheer you on,” Temari sneered. Tenten blushed angrily.
 
“He-He's not my boyfriend! And just for that, I'm kicking your ass!”
 
Tenten spun her escrima sticks around before jamming them back into her scroll. She produced another and bit her thumb, before pressing it against the paper as it unraveled. Twirling it around her like a gymnastic's ribbon, the scroll became longer and longer, forcing Tenten to ascend and direct her chakra in a way she'd spent over a year to master-Hovering in mid-air.
 
“Woah… She can fly? Awesome! I've gotta learn that!” Naruto enthused. Gai and Lee sobbed manly tears at how youthful Tenten was demonstrating herself to be.
 
Said weapons specialist had finished unraveling her scroll, rotating high in the air. With a smirk she held out her hands, and the scrolls surrounding her like a loose double-helix burst into smoke, releasing kunai and shuriken to her. Hands blurring Tenten began throwing dozens of weapons at Temari, who frowned and unfolded her fan to it's full width. The Sand kunoichi summoned her chakra.
 
Ninpou Fuusajin!”
 
Temari waved her fan and unleashed a massive blast of wind, blowing all of Tenten's projectiles away and whipping apart her scroll.
 
“AUUUGHHHH!” Tenten screamed as the cutting winds slashed across her body, at the same time the air pressure blew her chakra balancing technique away and slammed her into the wall. She slumped, unconscious, and began to fall head first for the arena floor.
 
“SHIT! TENTEN!” Naruto shouted, but Gai was faster. The Green Beast easily caught his downed student and landed on the arena floor. Temari smirked and looked over at Hayate.
 
“Well?”
 
“Winner: Subaku Temari!” Hayate announced, as Gai carried the limp body of his only female student to the infirmary. Lee sobbed, gushing about her valiant efforts, while Naruto just sighed. He looked up and saw Temari smirk at him, before winking.
 
“What the…?” He muttered, glaring back. What the hell is up with her…?
 
“Wasn't much of a match,” Temari shrugged as she headed back up to the observation deck.
 
“Poor Tenten! Vanquished in the prime of her youth!” Weeped Lee, holding a fist up in a dramatic pose. Nearby, Ino sweatdropped.
 
“C'mon Lee, it's not like she's dead or anything!”
 
“True, Ino-san,” sniffled Lee. He thrust his fists into the air, eyes burning with fire.
 
“I shall make my battle, the finale, one to be remembered for my fallen comrade! OSSU!”
 
Shikamaru sighed and shook his head. I wish I could just leave… I won, can't I go now?
 
Gai reappeared and grinned.
 
“Do not worry, my wonderful student! Tenten will make a full recovery!”
 
Naruto grinned as Lee cheered.
 
“YES! My youthful comrade is fine! However, I still dedicate the finale to her!”
He grinned and turned to Naruto, giving the blond his traditional `good guy' thumbs up and smile.
 
“Naruto-san! After this, I truly hope to be able to fight you!”
 
“Eh? Why me?” Naruto blinked. He threw his thumb over his shoulder back at Neji, standing impassively on the far side of the catwalk. “Don't' you want to fight geniuses like him and Sasuke?”
 
“Yes I do, Naruto-san! However, you are very much like me-A genius of hard work!” Lee enthused. “I would very much like to see which of us has gone further!”
 
Naruto blinked. A genius… Of hard work? Is that really me? I mean… Sure, I don't have a special bloodline or anything but the Keyblade…
 
“Yeah, but… I have the Keyblade,” Naruto offered, summoning the weapon in a flash and holding it out. “It's not the Sharingan, sure, but it ain't, you know, normal…”
 
Lee frowned.
 
“Did you have to earn the Keyblade, Naruto-san? Or was it given to you?” He asked quietly.
 
Naruto recalled the tests he'd gone through, the battle against the Shadow Fox… And, most importantly, why he'd gotten the Keyblade at all.
 
Iruka-sensei…
 
A smile came over his whiskered face.
 
“Yes… I earned this. It wasn't easy, but… Nobody handed me this thing,” Naruto explained. Lee beamed.
 
“Then you are a genius of hard work! So, I hope very much to fight you!”
 
Gai sobbed manly tears.
 
“Lee! You truly are in the Springtime of your youth! So valiant and determined! I am so proud to have you as my student!”
 
Lee sobbed in a manly fashion as well, and hugged his mentor, a backdrop of a sunset appearing.
 
“GAI-SENSEI!”
 
Naruto, Ino, Shikamaru and Sakura blinked.
 
“LEE!”
 
“Kai! Kai!” Sakura tried to dispel the image. Her eyes widened. “Why won't it dispel?!”
 
“GAI-SENSEI!”
 
“LEE!”
 
“GAI-SENSEI!”
 
“This looks so wrong,” Ino muttered to Sakura. The pink-haired kunoichi nodded, while Naruto just blinked.
 
“How do they do that sunset thing anyway…?”
 
“So troublesome…”
 
“Subaku Gaara, Rock Lee! Please come down for the final match!” Hayate yelled.
 
Gai pulled away from Lee, and assumed a stern expression. Lee also became serious.
 
“Lee… Something important before you begin!”
 
“Yes sensei?” Lee asked, whipping out a notepad and pen.
 
“Observe! Your opponent. He carries a gourd on his back! It is very unusual.”
 
“Yes it is, Gai-sensei!” Lee furiously jotted down some notes.
 
“Watch out! It's probably crucial to his fighting technique.”
 
“Yes Gai-sensei!” Lee nodded, writing that down too. Gai frowned.
 
“Lee, you won't have time to consult your notes in battle! Put that away!”
 
Lee nodded, and wrote that down too.
 
“Yes, Gai-sensei!”
 
Sakura, Naruto, Ino and Shikamaru just stared.
 
Lee shot one last grin at Naruto and a thumbs up at Sakura, before leaping to the arena floor. Gaara, on the other side of the arena, vanished in a swirl of sand, reappearing before the green-spandex-clad shinobi.
 
“Hey, you!” Naruto looked up. That puppeteer guy… Kankuro was it? He had made his way over to the other side of the arena and was grinning at him.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Naruto, right? You're a funny guy, being so nice while fighting your girlfriend,” the puppet user stated. Naruto frowned, the falseness of Kankuro's smile screaming at his senses.
 
“She's not my girlfriend…”
 
“Oh? Then why were you so pissed at that guy mocking her?” He asked, raising and twisting his head to indicate Neji, who was standing alone further along the observation deck for the arena. Naruto scowled.
 
“Because he's an asshole, that's why!”
 
Kankuro laughed.
 
“I like you, kid. You're funny.”
 
“Yeah? Well I don't like you dumbass!”
 
Kankuro snarled. “You… You little bastard!” He made a fist… Before a smirk came over his painted face.
 
“Hope you weren't too attached to that guy down there,” he gloated. “Because nobody fights Gaara and lives.”
 
Sakura's fists tightened as she glared at the Sand ninja. Naruto smirked confidently back.
 
“Yeah? Don't be too sure, Clown Boy. Lee's a lot tougher than he looks!”
 
Kankuro growled.
 
“Hey! Watch your mouth you stupid punk!”
 
“Go play with your dolls!” Naruto jeered. Kankuro's face turned red.
 
“Damnit they're not dolls, they're puppets!”
 
“Shut up you two! They're starting!” Ino ordered, crossing her arms and leaning against the railing next to Naruto. She frowned and turned her head. Their jounin instructors all seemed to be huddled, discussing something in low voices even as they watched Lee and Gaara face off.
 
“I am Rock Lee, the Beautiful Green Beast of Konoha! I hope we have a good fight!” The bowl-cut wearing boy enthused. Gaara just grunted. Hayate looked between them, nodded, and backed away.
 
“Begin!”
 
Lee charged forward, throwing a fist at Gaara's face. The instant he got within a few feet of the Sand ninja a shield of sand formed, absorbing the blow. Lee, undeterred, performed a roundhouse kick at the side of Gaara's head, this too being blocked by sand. Lee pulled his arms in and spun around, kicking at Gaara's side. The same result-Sand instantly appeared to absorb his attacks.
 
Leg sweeps, axe kicks, rabbit punches-Nothing got through that impenetrable shield. Finally Gaara counter-attacked, sand lashing out which Lee was forced to avoid. One tendril of grains he back flipped over, another he ducked. Driven back, Lee leapt up and took refuge on top of the large statue of the ram hand seal at one end of the arena, breathing hard.
 
Kankuro continued to smirk. “See? Nothing doin'. He should just give up.”
 
Naruto growled. “Shut up, bastard! He ain't done yet!”
 
Sakura frowned.
 
“Taijutsu's not going to work here… Why doesn't he back off and use ninjutsu?”
 
Gai sighed. “Because Lee can't use ninjutsu.”
 
Sakura, Ino, and Naruto all stared at Gai.
 
“Huh?!”
 
“He's never been able to mold chakra! When he first joined my team, you should have seen how helpless he was. No talent whatsoever.” Gai grinned. “But, he never gave up! So I trained him to make up for it all with taijutsu! To make him the greatest hand to hand fighter ever!”
 
Gai cleared his throat, getting his student's attention.
 
“Lee! You have my permission! Take them off!”
 
Lee frowned.
 
“But sensei! You said I should only take them off to protect someone I really care for!”
 
“Yes, I did. We're making an exception! Go ahead, take them off!” Gai grinned. Lee nodded and kneeled, untying the large weights strapped onto his ankles. He stood up and, holding his burden out on either side of himself, dropped them to the ground.
 
Temari snorted.
 
“What good will taking those off-?”
 
KROOM! The two weights hit the ground at the same time, shaking the arena floor and throwing up impressive clouds of dust. When they cleared, it was revealed that the weight packs were buried in meter-wide craters. All eyes were locked onto the sight.
 
“Holy…!”
 
Sakura's jaw hung open. Is… Is that how he was able to beat Sasuke so easily?
 
Shikamaru's eye twitched. Oh man… I really hope I don't have to fight him…
 
Kakashi put a hand to his forehead with a sigh. Gai, you don't do anything half-way do you?
 
Lee vanished, and a split second later saw him slamming a fist into Gaara's sand. The redhead's eyes widened as Lee's attacks got faster and faster, the green-clad shinobi becoming a blur around him until finally his foot made contact with Gaara's face.
 
WHAM! Gaara was thrown back, skidding on the arena floor.
 
Naruto just grinned, and whooped. Kankuro gaped in disbelief, and looked at his sister. She wore an identical expression.
 
“I don't believe it… Gaara's been hurt!” Temari gasped. Kankuro shook his head.
 
“I… I don't believe it!”
 
“YEAH! Go Fuzzy Brows! Kick Beach Boy's sandy buns!”
 
“Sandy buns? Are you serious?” Sakura laughed, shaking her head in disbelief. Naruto shrugged and grinned sheepishly.
 
“Hey, best I could think of on short notice…”
 
“Oh yeah right! You were probably waiting to use it since you met Gaara!” Ino accused with a smirk. Naruto harrumphed.
 
Gaara had gotten back up, his sand-protected skin cracking from the force of the blow. He growled, summoning his sand and sending a massive wave at Lee. Lee ran around it, trying to attack from Gaara's side, but the sand wielder redirected his huge weapon, throwing dozens of razor-sharp spikes after his foe.
 
Lee backflipped away and vanished again, a quick burst of speed making him invisible for the time it took to slam a foot into Gaara's legs, knocking him off his feet.
 
KAIMON!” Lee shouted, releasing the first Gate. His power surged, his strength and speed increased by five times, and his arm bandages were already loosened and ready for the next move.
 
Lee kicked Gaara into the air and blurred above him, throwing his bandages around the wide-eyed Sand genin and wrapping him in a snug cocoon. Trapping Gaara in a bear hug, spinning as fast as he could, Lee dove with his captive headfirst for the arena floor below.
 
OMOTE RENGE!” Lee bellowed as they impacted, shaking the arena floor and blasting a cloud of debris into the air.
 
“Holy shit!” Naruto crowed, summoning the Keyblade and spinning it around at high speed to deflect the stones bouncing around the arena from Lee's move. “I have got to learn how to do that!”
 
“Can you see them? Is Lee okay?” Sakura coughed, waving away some dust. The cloud began to clear, the outline of an even bigger crater than the ones Lee's weights had made becoming visible. A single figure walked unsteadily away, coughing slightly.
 
“Lee! He did it! He won!” Sakura cheered. Gai grinned and gave a thumbs up to his student.
 
“YOSH! EXCELLENT, MY ADORABLE-!”
 
Lee's eyes widened as a familiar killing intent washed over him, and he threw himself to the side. His arm was sliced by the edge of a huge sand tendril that would have cut him in two had he not dodged just in time. Cartwheeling out of the way of three more such appendages, Lee skidded to a halt in a crouch and narrowed his eyes.
 
Gaara emerged from the crater, skin cracked as though covered in ceramic. His eyes were wide, as was his bestial grin.
 
“Heheheheheheh… Well, is that all? I hope you haven't finished entertaining me...we haven't had enough blood!” He roared, sand shurikens blasted from the sands floating around him. Lee was knocked back, gritting his teeth and holding his side where a shuriken had stuck. He'd used a lot of energy in his last attack… He couldn't do it again like this… Which meant…
 
Looks like… I have no choice… I must use that…
 
Lee assumed a relaxed stance, and closed his eyes. Gaara grinned, moving in for the kill.
 
KAIMON!” As before, a blast of chakra left Lee's body, cracking the stones underneath him and barring the sand from getting closer. His hair stood on end and his eyes went wide, only the whites showing as though his pupils had evaporated from the power his body now emitted.
 
“Gai… You taught him that?!” Kurenai said in an almost scolding tone. Gai grinned confidently.
 
“Yes, Kurenai-san! I did!”
 
Kakashi shook his head in disbelief. Gai, you are really something else… Teaching a suicidal technique like that to a kid?
 
KyÅ«mon!” Lee shouted, and another release of energy lit up his aura. He vanished, and a second later so did Gaara. Soon he was being kicked around the arena walls so quickly he was a mere blur.
 
Lee grit his teeth, the faces of the people he wanted to fight.
 
Neji… Sasuke… Naruto! I will NOT be the ONLY ONE TO LOSE!
 
SEIMON!” Lee bellowed, the third Gate opened. He whipped out his bandages again, using it to bounce Gaara about like a yo-yo, a fist punching the Sand ninja with every circuit. Lee whipped around above Gaara and struck him as hard as he could with a fist and kick at the same time, sending him crashing to the ground.
 
“URA RENGE!”
 
KABOOM! An even bigger crater was dug out, and even more debris thrown up, so much so that the Hokage had to shield his face as pieces of stone and dirt scattered across the chamber. Lee landed in a heap, taking hard, shuddering breaths.
 
“No way anyone could survive that!” Ino gasped. Kakashi frowned, crossing his arms over his chest.
 
“So… You taught him the Hachimon?”
 
Gai nodded with a smile.
 
“Yes.”
 
“You do realize he's in agonizing pain right now… From a technique you taught him,” Kakashi shook his head. Gai nodded again, the smile muted.
 
“Yes… I know… However! He has triumphed this day!”
 
Just as he said that, Gaara emerged from the debris, breathing hard, eyes wild. Everyone in the arena felt a nearly-overwhelming killer intent wash over them all.
 
Oh no, Kankuro thought in horror. That look in his eyes… The demon!
 
The Keyblade had flashed into Naruto's hand as he frowned.
 
What the…? This force… It feels so familiar!
 
Sakura and Ino were shaking, and even Neji reacted with raised eyebrows.
 
What the heck is that guy?!
 
“DIE!” Gaara bellowed, sending a wave of sand that slammed Lee off his feet and skidding across the arena floor.
 
“No! He'll kill him!” Sakura shouted. Lee struggled, trying to crawl away, but Gaara raised a hand and grabbed Lee's foot and arm-The same ones that had delivered the final blow of the Ura Renge.
 
Sabaku KyÅ«!” Gaara shouted, before closing a fist. “Sabaku SÅsÅ!”
 
“AUGHH!” Lee screamed as the limbs encased in the sand were crushed. Gaara sent another wave of sand to crush the injured Lee. This wave was blocked by Gai, standing on the arena floor with arms crossed in a block.
 
“You… Why did… You protect him?” Gaara muttered, not understanding. Gai was grim now, no smile on his face.
 
“Because he is a precious person to me… Someone I would give my life for.”
 
Gaara stared, confusion warring with bloodlust. Why? Why? Precious? He failed! He must die… Protect…?
 
“Winner, Gaara… What the?!” Hayate gasped. Gai turned around… And smiled sadly.
 
Lee was back up, in his usual `good guy' pose, even with his mangled limbs barely supporting him. His smile was dazed, his closed eyes further evidence that he had gone unconscious. Gai shook his head, pride filling his heart.
 
“Even while out, Lee, you refuse to give in,” the Green Beast sighed. He walked over to Lee, gathered him in his arms, and carried him to the infirmary. Gaara watched them go… Then turned his eyes to Naruto, who gulped at the attention the redhead was suddenly giving him.
 
The redhead stared for a moment more, until turning and walking back to the observation deck.
 
Hayate stepped forward, clearing his throat.
 
“That concludes the preliminary matches! Will the finalists please come down?”
 
A matter of minutes later, and everybody who had won their matches (aside from Sasuke) were on the arena floor. The Hokage stood before them with Ibiki at his side and Hayate on the other.
 
“A month from today, the final matches will be held,” he announced in his gravely voice. Naruto's jaw dropped.
 
WHAT?! You mean we can't fight now?” He growled, eyeing the stoic Neji nearby. The Hokage nodded.
 
“We need a month to get the other Kages here, to observe the matches. As well as daimyos and other dignitaries who will be representing potential clients. Villages with strong ninja will look better to these clients. The Chuunin Exams are just as much about economics as they are prestige, after all,” the Hokage finished with a grin. “Now then, Hayate is handing out pieces of paper, with numbers on them. Read your numbers in the order you were given them.”
 
“One,” said Kin, here arms crossed over her chest and her flute strapped to her belt.
 
“Nine,” said Shino in his quiet tone.
 
“Eight,” stated Kankuro.
 
“Three,” Temari voiced.
 
“Four,” Gaara murmured.
 
“Two,” sighed Shikamaru.
 
“Seven,” Naruto spoke.
 
“Six,” Neji grunted.
 
Hayate nodded, writing it all down, before displaying a board.
 
“These will be your opponents,” Hayate announced.
 
Naruto smirked when he saw he was facing Neji. He turned his head and glared at the stoic prodigy.
 
That's right pal… I'm going to kick your ass!
 
Shikamaru grimaced.
 
Troublesome… I have to fight two matches, both against women?
 
Gaara recalled the boy he would be fighting, the Uchiha. His eyes narrowed ever so slightly.
 
“See you back here in a month. I suggest you don't waste any time,” the Hokage advised.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kabuto crouched against the tree trunk, eyes straight ahead. This part of the forest outside Konoha was open for only a few more minutes at best before ANBU patrols crossed it.
 
C'mon… C'mon…
 
The portal opened, ethereal smoke billowing around it. Kabuto leapt through, his senses filled with darkness and eerie light, blanketing his mind…
 
He fell to his knees, coughing and applying chakra to calm his heart. He took deep breaths, before looking up. His surroundings were dark, and cold metal. A great chamber with ragged, gothic spires decorating a circle of pillars, like a vast cage. Up and up above him they went until he could no longer see them.
 
I am… I am on another world, he thought, his inner scientist filled with glee.
 
Maleficent appeared before him, an eyebrow raised at his admittedly pathetic state. Kabuto got his breathing under control.
 
“It… Would be easier if I could control the process,” he noted. The witch smiled.
 
“All in good time, my dear… But for now, I need to know what has occurred.”
 
“The Keyblade is genuine,” Kabuto began without preamble, slowly standing up. “With it, and the Kyuubi, Uzumaki will easily serve your purposes.”
 
Our purposes, Kabuto,” Maleficent purred. “What else?”
 
“More than a few of the genin displayed talents beyond what we thought. In particular, the Haruno girl,” Kabuto reported. “Her power… It seems much like your own. With the proper training…” The knowing look in her eyes made it unnecessary for him to continue.
 
“Yes… Ursula should not be the only one with a young servant, after all,” she mused. “Continue your mission, Kabuto. And your research. I will add onto what I have already given, as promised.”
 
Kabuto bowed, and smiled secretly. Another reason he preferred to work for Maleficent-The process itself was the reward, and not the end of the journey…
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Sorry for the long time to update, but I passed my final math class, so it's not all bad. MUCH longer, and better chapter than before (I'll have to refine that).
 
Not many notes on this chapter, though I'd like to thank my beta readers Captain Sarcasm, God of Awesome, and Nico Hana. Definitely helped the refinement process.
 
Jiraiya meets Naruto next time, so stay tuned!
 
And now, for some omakes:
 
By Captain Sarcasm, in honor of the Transformers movie:
 
“Next fight!” shouted Gekko. “Kankuro of the sand versus Misumi Tsurugi! Contestants, take your places!”
 
It was hard to read Tsurugi's expression behind his mask and glasses, but Kankuro was just… scarily confident.
 
“What are you planning, catboy?”
 
“Oh, just wondering which incredibly over-powered technique I should use to defeat and utterly humiliate you,” he said, taking something out of his pocket. “But, since you made fun of my hat, I'm going to use my new trick.”
 
The thing turned out to be a small, blue, portable tape recorder. He set it on the ground, and backed up all the way to the wall.
 
“…you're going to kill me with a tape deck?”
 
“Ninja Puppeteer Arts Forbidden Style: Mass Shifting Jutsu!”
 
The tape deck started to shift and split, the silver features on either side of the main tape holder unfolding to become a pair of arms and legs, as the device transformed into a blocky, humanoid shape. But as it shifted, it also expanded, until it was well over twenty-five feet tall. There was a horrible, six-toned magnetic grinding noise as it changed. A cylindrical weapon folded out onto the thing's right shoulder, and a blue head with a silver mouthplate and a glass visor slid out of the body. It looked town at Tsurugi, its eyepiece glowing red.
 
“SOUNDWAVE: SUPERIOR,” it intoned. “GEININ: INFERIOR!”
 
“Oh poopie,” said Tsurugi.
 
*SQUISH!*
 
“…Wow,” said Gaara, as the robot scraped its foot on the floor.
 
“Meatbag Remains: Messy.”
 
 
By Yamimaru: A cross over with Megaman Zero
 
Ino looked at the area around them the architecture looked a lot more advanced then
Konoha's, yet the place was crumbling and dilapidated, obviously worn down by war and
time. A long haired blond guy walked out of seemingly nowhere, looked at them and said:
 
"Who are you, and what the hell are you doing here?"
 
Ino took one look at him with his very, very long hair, his red, black, white, and gold
armor/clothing, squeed, and glomped him. Zero manged to look at Ino's companions from his new position on the ground.
 
"Is she like this a lot?" He asked them.
 
"Only around guys she thinks are really hot." Naruto answered as Shino looked on silently and Anko looked about ready to pry Ino off of the reploid so that she could glomp him.
 
 
By Me: Naruto you lucky bastard!
 
“Well, looks like your boyfriend came back to cheer you on,” Temari sneered. Tenten blushed.
 
“He-He's not my boyfriend!”
 
“DO NOT LET YOUR BLOOM OF PASSION FALTER, TENTEN!” Encouraged Gai with a grin and trademark ping. He wrapped one beefy arm around the wide-eyed and blushing Naruto and held him up dramatically.
 
“LET YOUR LOVE INSPIRE YOU TO GREATER HEIGHTS!”
 
“OSSU! YES TENTEN-SAN, PROVE YOUR LOVE TO NARUTO-SAN!” Lee added.
 
“SHUT UP!” Tenten shouted, waving her fist.
 
“Gai… Sensei… I can't… breathe…” Naruto wheezed. Gai let him go apologetically.
 
“I'm sorry Naruto! I should have been more careful!”
 
“Man Naruto, you're a regular pimp! All these women after you!” Teased Ino. Naruto's blush grew even brighter… Until he smiled serenely.
 
“Why Ino, are you interested?” Naruto teased back. Ino smirked, and walked over to him. She leaned forward, eyes dancing with mischief as Naruto gulped.
 
“What answer do you think you'd like more?” The blonde purred.
 
“Ino-pig, would you quit acting like such a whore!” Sakura growled. Ino turned back and deathglared her rival.
 
“Who are you calling a whore, Forehead?!”
 
“Bitch!”
 
“Poser!”
 
The two got into a screaming match, leaving an utterly bewildered Naruto to stare after them.
 
“Lucky bastard,” Kankuro grumbled.
 
Until next time!