Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Lessons in Shinobi Love ❯ Lesson 2: To Let Go ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here is my next chapter. Thanks for all of the hits and reviews. You guys are great. I'll try to carry out my usual 6-7 page chapters, but that means it will take longer for me to update.
 
I'm going to try and update weekly. So every Monday look for something from me. Oh regarding some of the reviews, since I post this at both Fanfiction.net and Mediaminer.org.
 
 
 
IMPORTANT NOTE, PLEASE READ: Yes, Sakura is 12 here, but there will be a time lapse. I'm not a sicko or anything. I do realize that things are a bit weird in the way I'm doing it. People at Mediaminer seem to like it because she's not 6-10 years older. I'm eventually going to get around to the point in the storyline where she is 14-15. For now it's just romantic situations, nothing gross just a kiss here and there and general cuteness.
 
Thank you for all of your reviews, however. Good or bad you all made my day and I am happy to receive commentary on this fanfic. I'm especially glad that you all like the way I portray Kakashi, he's my favorite character.
 
 
 
Sorry for delays, I'm also working on other fics as well. So try to be patient.
 
 
_ _ _
 
 
 
Lessons in Shinobi Love
 
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
 
Lesson 2: To Let Go
 
 
_ _ _
 
 
 
“Some things, Sakura, were never meant to be.”
 
What did that phrase mean?
 
It had repeated itself over and over again in Sakura's mind. Just as the memory of the long, sweet kiss. The very thought of it brought back all of the sensations that arose from deep within her soul. The feeling of the soft fabric pressing to her lips. The confusion that ran through her mind. The look in Kakashi's visible eye.
 
It ran through her intellect like a never ending circle, doomed to repeat itself.
 
She barely even knew her sensei, not only that, but upon their first meeting he had already made an advance on her and kissed her.
 
Sakura had to admit that her sensei was definitely weird. When the pink haired ninja in training looked back on those phrases, many left her in question.
 
Sakura recalled the events of only a few minutes earlier as she stood in the center of the field, the wind playing with her pink locks which were now free of her headband.
 
Her headband?
 
Did Kakashi still have it?
 
A sense of frantic went through her widening green eyes as she emitted a small gasp and looked around her wildly for the article of clothing. She took a step backward to hear a rustling noise. Upon hearing the noise, she looked in the direction of the said foot to see what she was stepping on.
 
It was her headband.
 
She looked down on it with confusion and something else that was only released as a sparkle of her eyes. The girl recalled a few moments ago, when Kakashi was running his hands through her hair.
 
“Just relax and learn to feel…”
 
Though she could not see his face, she pictured him wearing a kind gaze when uttering that sentence. Something about the way he uttered that phrase made her want to believe that his intentions were good.
 
Just what did that phrase mean, anyway? What did he mean by “learn to feel”? Learn to feel what?
 
She picked up the headband and held it by either side in her hands, looking at the ninja symbol on the front of the metal plate. After staring at the metallic object for a while, she slowly put it back upon her head, readjusting it to fit her properly.
 
Green eyes looked about the field, looking for any sign of Sasuke or Naruto. She decided to take off running through the thin threads of grass in order to find Sasuke, Naruto was the furthest thing on her mind. Sakura had to find Sasuke. She just had to…
 
In the middle of her sprint through the trees, a sudden reflection flashed through her intellect.
 
“I can't be easy on you, but I can show you that there is more to life then Sasuke.”
 
Emerald eyes flashed a luminescent color and widened as a tiny gasp was emitted. The pink haired girl could feel a new prang of emotional pain in her chest when the name Sasuke went through her mind in her sensei's voice.
 
Pained bewilderment entered her being as her pace slowed and she wore a disheartened look on her face. The initial reason she wanted to be a ninja was to impress Sasuke. That was the reason she joined Squad 7, and being on that squad with him only amplified her own happiness of having her girlish dreams come true.
 
 
But now…
 
Now there was Kakashi-sensei…
 
What did he mean? More to life then Sasuke?
 
She had already wondered enough about the mysterious jounin, why did things have to be so confusing!? Did he love her, or was this some type of ninja trick? Sakura stopped, looking down and failing to notice Sasuke's head for a few minutes.
 
Deep within her soul, she wanted to believe that her sensei was true in his actions. Everything just felt so right for the moment. His touch was so gentle and his voice…She had to blush at that and bring a finger up to her lips.
 
Why could she not stop thinking about Kakashi?
 
A calm and under toned voice caught her attention enough to snap her out of whatever she was thinking at the moment.
 
“Sakura?”
 
“Hm?” she questioned.
 
As she turned her head, not being in the right mentality to fully focus, she saw that only Sasuke's head was visible. A sudden panic ran through her body at only seeing a disembodied head there, so she let out an ear piercing scream.
 
“YAAAAAHH! SASUKE'S A HEAD WITHOUT A BODY!!!” She just couldn't take it! Her mind had suffered enough from the torture of not eating yesterday and the fact that Kakashi had been going quite hard on them, not to mention his advances prior to the fact that she had already had feelings for Sasuke and everything seemed to be clashing with her new found feelings. Her mind was on over load, so she had to shut it down and give it a rest the only way she knew how- - fainting.
 
She happily let herself succumb to the darkness. Anything to rid herself of her troublesome thoughts at the moment. Through the void she became fuzzy as she heard a voice uttering “hey…” When she slowly and unsurely opened her eyes she could see Sasuke, body intact holding her.
 
Sakura's haze was still there as she laid eyes on his face. This was the face of the boy that she had once loved. Or does she still? The pink haired ninja in training gave a slightly confused look before returning to her happy self.
 
Or what she thought to be which…
 
After all, this was every girl's dream to be held by Uchiha Sasuke.
 
“Sasuke!” The girl cheered in relief, but there was that inward feeling. She almost jolted at the pierce of ache she felt in her heart. It was almost excruciating as she lunged forward and hugged him. “You're alive!”
 
She flinched at the way the pain increased, feeling as if she had been stabbed upon giving the hug. The pain caused her to lean even more into her fellow classmate, nearly bringing the surprised ninja to the ground.
 
“Time's running out. It's almost noon.” He said simply, rising. “I'm off.”
 
“ Sasuke, do you honestly think you can get one of those bells?” She asked, knowing that it seemed impossible herself and wondering why she didn't take the chance when Kakashi caught her off guard and toyed with her hair. She mentally slapped herself, and then mentally slapped herself for mentally slapping herself.
 
“I got close enough to touch them. This time I'm going to take them.”
 
Sakura seemed anxious but smiled in adoration. “Really? Wow! You're amazing!”
 
`This is terrible! How will ever get a bell for myself? I might end up some where far away from Sasuke!' She thought, and felt that same prang of pain, along with one intrusive thought of a certain jounin's commentary on that subject.
 
“I can't be easy on you, but I can show you that there is more to life then Sasuke.”
 
Maybe that's how he meant that statement.
 
“Uh…” She began to get nervous at that thought. “I mean, there's no more time…Even if we didn't get it this time, I'm sure that we gave it our all…”
 
As soon as the words escaped her mouth, Sasuke reacted the same way he had reacted prior to her babbling. The stoic ninja let out a low growl and turned his head away from her.
 
A flashback of that infamous kiss ran through her mind and played through her head like a cinema big screen.
 
“Some things, Sakura, were never meant to be.”
 
The pink haired girl had felt a wound, but it was only a needle prick compared to the ones she felt when hugging the dark haired boy earlier. It was as if something wanted her to let go of Sasuke.
 
No way!
 
No way would she let go after she tried so hard and finally got him right where she wanted him.
 
“Only I can kill him.”
 
“Who?” She questioned, and then a profound flutter of panic ran through her chest. “You mean Kakashi-sensei?”
 
Sakura had said that with a bit more edge to her voice, even she noticed that it held some depth of compassionate for her sensei. Just from spending that few moments with him, developed feelings within Sakura that she couldn't explain or describe.
 
The girl seemed torn between the teacher and her heart throb. This was a predicament.
 
“He made me cry…”
 
“You cried?” She asked, seeming troubled about the sorrowful edge to her comrade's voice. That edge sounded familiar…
 
She blinked.
 
“Some things, Sakura, were never meant to be.”
 
It was almost the indistinguishable tone to that phrase. Her mind began to run wild once more, thinking about both men and their problems.
 
“My…”
 
“What…What are you talking about?” She asked, confused beyond all belief. Any clearance would do more then help her. No offense to Sasuke's current state, but he didn't know what she just went through.
 
But instead he left her in question once again. Walking away to venture back to gain one of those bells from Kakashi, leaving her twice as confused and a little worried about her sensei.
 
`Does Sasuke really want to kill Kakashi-sensei?' She wondered; concern flashing through her green eyes, shining with the confused and poignant brilliance of before.
 
“Why do these things happen to me?” Sakura asked herself in a berating tone.
 
The pink haired ninja in training blinked, then looked up to the sky and sighed.
 
There was no way to acquire the bells in such a short amount of time. She was sure to fail the entrance exam. Sakura wouldn't get in with Sasuke and therefore let him down.
 
There went that prang of hurt again.
 
The pink haired girl could never understand that feeling. It was like hell was unleashed in her body. Something didn't want her to have Sasuke. Some deep, internal doubt within her was cause, or at least, she believed it to be so.
 
Or could it be from that chance encounter?
 
Whatever it was, she was sure to figure it out and not give up on Sasuke. That stoic ninja would be hers!
 
Then why did she feel so empty thinking, saying it or even coming into contact with him? She wanted to cry from frustration, either that or scream like a maniac. All of this was grinding on her nerves something severe.
 
Figuring her time was almost up, she walked dejectedly back to the three wooden posts.
 
Sakura sat there, looking dejected at the fact that she had failed, was hungry and had no bells. The pink haired girl wrapped her arms around her knees, which were arched up and put her head into them.
 
A few minuets she heard soft footsteps getting closer and closer through the grass. The echoing sound of lazy steps becoming louder and louder as they neared her. She looked up from her current position to see none other then her sensei looking down at her.
 
The girl couldn't help but let a small blush come to her cheeks as she stared at him. She seemed to be entranced by his gaze, and this time he wasn't even giving her the same adoring look that he was before.
 
Kakashi did manage to let a small smile creep upon his features, not that it could be seen by anyone but him, but that smile went away upon seeing Naruto and Sasuke make it back.
 
Sakura put her head back in her arms, to hide her blush from every one.
 
This was something that she didn't want to tell.
 
 
 
TBC
 
 
 
A/N: That was the end of that chapter. Sorry there isn't much interaction between them here, but there will be in the next chapter. If thoughts and quotes seemed repetitive, that's because they were. I wanted to show the character's confusion about her predicament. Please review and tell me what you think!