Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Lonely Heirs ❯ Lonely Heirs ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Gaara, or Hinata or any other Naruto folks. Obviously if I did I wouldn't have no disclaimer >.<
 
The air in the Sunagakure was hard and hot as usual, as was the environment for the young heirs. They both were allowed to roam free sometimes but only within their cage. The Sunagakure was this cage and the people who dwelled within their captors. All they wanted, all they longed for was their freedom.
 
The little red and blue haired heirs ran as fast as their feet could carry them. It was an annual exercise of training. All the children in the Academy were tested to run and then they could go to recess. Neither heir wanted to as it only meant another time to be alone anyway.
 
“Alright Temari, Kankoro, Lee, Kisho, Haku, Hinata, TenTen, Neji and our more advanced ninja Sasori you may continue to monitor ANBU today, the rest of you may all go to recess.” Baki said sharply with a glare.
 
“Gaara.” He said simply with a nod of bored acknowledgement to him before walking off to report to the leader of the Academy. Gaara looked sadly at his leaving sensei as he gave a last glance at his retreating back. With a sigh he headed back to his usual place to play alone. He didn't have his teddy today now that his father had taken it away calling it a disgrace and pitiful. So here he sat alone as always. Gaara ran his fingers pleasantly through the sand. It was his only comfort, it kept him calm.
 
“Um…excuse me.” A tiny voice came from behind. Gaara turned slowly and there stood a girl with pupiless silver eyes. She had blue hair that was cut short and two tiny pigtails held in little fuzzy puffs on each side of her head. She wore a white cotton jacket with fuzzy sleeves to match and a black skirt that came just past her knees. She was blushing as she fiddled with the fabric of her skirt attempting to pull it down.
 
“C-could I play h-here too if you d-don't mind Gaara-kun?” she asked nervously.
 
Gaara wasn't sure how to react but he could manage to give a simple nod. She sat timidly away from him in the sandbox beginning to make a huge pile of sand. Gaara could understand why she did it, to distract herself. He did the same thing rather often and was always making piles only to knock them back down and start again. It took his mind off of his life thinking of a simple goal of piling higher and higher. Maybe she felt like he did. He noticed she was beginning to run out of sand on her side of the sandbox and before she could destroy her masterpiece to start over he sent a pile of sand her way to dump it in her lap.
 
“Here.” he said shyly blushing as he looked the other way trying to pretend like he hadn't been watching her.
 
“Thank you, Gaara-kun.” she said evenly with a genuine smile.
 
That smile what was it? He wondered as his hand came up to where his heart rested. Why did it all the sudden burn as if a fire had been ignited there. Usually the flames were cold and they burned him inside it was the only pain he could feel if this was even what pain was. But this was different it felt nice.
 
“It's no problem.” He said a bit coldly still staring into the sand running his fingers through it idly.
 
Hinata's eyes widened at his cold voice. She supposed he probably didn't want her here after all she was new to the Academy even though she had been in the village of the sand from birth. She was a late bloomer here and a bit older than some of the other kids. Her older cousin was already excelling in many ninja arts and forming his own jutsu's, they were beginning to call him a genius. But she was another story entirely.
 
She knew her father was ashamed of her. He always frowned at her poor grades in gym not even taking notice she made the best grades in academic tests or even supportive tests in gym. She couldn't even use her Byakugan yet and she was supposed to lead her clan. They told her that everyday and she wondered if she'd be replaced. Her mother was going to have another child now, did that mean which the new child came would they forget her…leave her alone in the street somewhere if the new brother or sister was better than her. She feared that most of all.
 
She had been in the sandbox before and played in it when Gaara wasn't around, which wasn't a lot of the time. She had always wanted to play with him there but she was afraid he would hate her too and call her weak just like the other children in the Academy. She decided that if she was ever going to become a kunoichi she had to suck up her fears and shyness and at least try to ask to share the sandbox with him. To her surprise he let her play with him.
 
Her heart was steaming with happiness even as she sat there creating her pile. He hadn't called her weak or turned her away, he had let her stay. His cold tone made her wonder though, maybe he was bothered after all by her presence.
 
“Um…Gaara-kun,” she said quietly her eyes down staring into the grains.
 
“Yeah?” he asked quietly giving her a side glance.
 
“I'm sorry for taking up your space in the sandbox, I just didn't want to play alone.” she explained with an apologetic smile as she held back the tears in her eyes, was he rejecting her too.
 
“Nah, it's ok, I don't like being alone either.” He added quietly feeling that smile burn his heart again. Looking away for a second he thought of what to do and decided that he had nothing to lose by asking. He didn't think she'd run away from him like all the others.
 
“If…if you wanted, we could play here again tomorrow…together.” he said looking up at those last words a half smile filled with equal shyness to match her own on his face.
 
Hinata's face lit up. “Really! You'd really let me?” she asked wondering if it was too good to be true she hoped he wasn't making fun of her. Her fears were rested when she saw him give her a full smile and answer with a simple, “Sure.”
 
She looked into the sand feeling her heart at ease for once and feeling wanted now maybe they could be friends.
“You know, when I play here most of the time…I'm hurting here.” he said holding his hand to his heart. “Every time I'm here alone…other people are together, laughing and being happy…” He trailed off clutching his heart tighter at his last words. Gaara looked up and he saw tears running down Hinata's face.
 
“I-I'm sorry don't cry.” he said worriedly but he saw her shake her head in response.
 
“We both feel the same Gaara-kun. We don't want to be alone. If you'll let me be your friend…we can stay together and promise that neither of us will ever be alone again.” She said taking his hands in hers. They felt warm and despite her blush as she held his hands in her own she didn't let go.
 
“A promise to be friends.” He said quietly before taking both her hands in his and squeezing them. “Okay from this point on we're friends and we'll take care of each other and we'll never be lonely again.”
 
“A friend.” She said quietly wiping her tears from her eyes before smiling at the new realization.
 
“Mmm, it's a promise then, but you know you have to seal real promises in blood.” He said with a boyish smile. As he let go of her hands crossing his arms in front of him in a confident pose.
 
“Uh uh! You do not.” She said shaking her head going pale at the thought.
 
“Do too! You have to bite your finger to draw your blood like real shinobi do or in your case kunoichi, haven't you been paying attention in class Hinata-chan?” he asked curiously.
 
She blushed as he said her name out loud looking towards the ground. Gaara arched his hairless eyebrow; they were friends now so why was she still looking shy.
 
“We-well of course I have but I d-don't like the site of blood.” She said twiddling her fingers.
 
“That's cause you're a wuss.” A voice came from behind her. There stood a group of three boys, The Three Triplets they called themselves. All of them were brothers and they were the resident bullies of the Academy well more like her resident bullies. They never messed with Gaara of course but Hinata was easy pickings.
 
“Yeah she'd faint if anyone even showed her a real battlefield.” The second with spiky hair and a lazy pose added.
 
“Brother is right!” the third chimed in standing confidently with his hands around his lazy brother's shoulder.
 
“It's time to pay up Hinata, you owe us for last week.” He said holding his hand out as if expecting the money. “Heh Gaara I wouldn't protect that cowardly girl she probably just came over here to get your protection.”
 
“Yes, who else has come over to your sandbox for a simple reason such as actually wanting to be your friend. You should be logical about these things.” He said looking to his brother with his hand out waiting.
 
“I second that!” the third one chimed with a confident smile.
 
“I-I-“she looked over at Gaara who was giving her a surprised look. Was that the only reason why? Was she afraid of the bullies and figured he'd give her shelter? Was she just using him?! His sand began to swirl around him before he noticed her protective stance in front of him. “Hi-nata?” he asked questionably the sand starting to dissipate along with his anger.
 
“Go on take my money and beat me up but leave Gaara alone he's never bothered anyone here, you better not bother him he's my friend!” she shouted loudly her eyes filled with anger. It was stupid to try and make friends she only caused them trouble but this time she wouldn't curl into a ball or cry she'd face them for her friend.
 
“Heh so your not scared when Sabaku no Gaara is around eh?” the first asked grabbing her by the shirt and roughly throwing her to the ground over by his two brothers. Hinata's eyes were filled with fear now. She had forgotten how it was after skipping school and being away from the local bullies but this feeling of being ganged up on never failed to scare her. The three began to circle her one quickly moving to hold her down while the other reached into her jacket pocket finding her lunch money.
 
“You owe us more than this! Lunch for all three of us costs a lot more.” The 2nd said examining the money taken.
 
“Yeah!” the third supported with a glare but they all failed to notice the arch of sand coming down upon them. Gaara stood encased in the swirling sand as a wave came from it towards where Hinata lay in the middle. It scooped her up gently bringing her back to him. Leaning down he stared in her eyes filled with gratitude and fear at the same time.
 
“Please don't think I was just using you Gaara-kun. I promise, I really, truthfully did want to be your friend I-“
 
“It's okay no one's ever even tried to protect me before. I know you weren't trying to trick me Hinata-chan.” He said with a smile to calm her before he looked up his face tightening into a deep frown.
 
“But they're gonna get it.” He growled, gently sitting her down upright before standing to glare at the three bullies a murderous look in his eyes. His hand reached out and the sand left by his picking up of Hinata encircled their bodies capturing them before they could even flinch to get away.
“W-wait Gaara-kun.” she said grabbing his tan smock tightly.
 
“They don't deserve to be around you anymore Hinata-chan. I'll make sure they don't bother you again.” He growled his hand about to close but he felt her pulling hard this time on the edge of his shirt.
 
“Gaara-kun please don't. I have to fight my own battles, you can't just take away everyone who bullies me.”
 
“Don't you want my help?” he asked almost hurt that she didn't want him to protect her from the bullies.
 
“I do but I don't want you to kill anyone. I think you've scared them enough. If you could…get my lunch money back that'd be great.” She said with an ashamed look and a smile towards him.
 
Reluctantly Gaara nodded trying to calm himself the smile and her words had actually convinced him not to kill them, for now, if they went too far and tried to hurt her again he might just change his mind.
 
“Give me back her money and I want all our yours too.” He snarled angrily as his sand slowly slid off their bodies dropping them to the ground unceremoniously.
 
“Ye-yes everything we got we've give to you!” they all said in unison emptying their pockets of various toys, money, and not to mention tons little snacks.
 
“If I even see a penny on you, I'll suffocate you to death for three days!” he yelled at them. All the sudden he smelled a stench noticing that the third boy who had long since dropped the confident pose and was now hiding behind his brothers had wet himself.
 
“Now scram!” he yelled and they all scrambled away leaving Gaara to let his sand collect the leftover valuables.
 
“Here Hinata-chan there all yours.” He said letting his sand lay the kindergarten treasures in her lap gently.
 
“Sorry Gaara-kun, but I have to give this stuff back to the people he stole it from.” She said kindly her voice filled with compassion for the other victims of The Three Triplets.
 
“They were weak enough to let the bullies beat them up and take their stuff they deserved it!” he said stubbornly without thinking. He had forgotten that Hinata was one of those “weak people”.
 
A pause hung between them as Gaara closed his mouth unsure of what to say. His pride didn't feel like apologizing right now and she should know that he wasn't trying to be mean, they were friends now right?
“If that's how you really felt about me you should have just let them beat me up.” She said a tinge of anger in her voice she stood letting all the things in her lap slide onto the ground as she glared at them.
 
“Just take the stuff okay if I'm just a weakling to you I deserved them taking mine too right.” she sadly mumbled.
 
“I-“he didn't know what to say but he hadn't meant her. He had meant the other kids but she was one of them…darn it…why'd she have to make this so complicated but he still had his pride he couldn't let her run all over him!
 
“You should be thankful I saved you from those bullies. Without me they would have stolen your money and you wouldn't have ever gotten it back.” He said evenly reaching down to get about how much he thought had been taken from her. “Here just take your money back.” He told her as he simply held it out to her.
 
She pushed it back into his arms and shook her head no. “I'm weak, we don't deserve it remember.” she sadly looked into his eyes but before they could speak anymore the bell rang and Baki was there in a poof of smoke to resume class once again.
 
“Alright everyone go back to the classroom. Quickly now, there's no more time to waste playing around.” He said stiffly crossing his arms over his chest as he saw the children run inside. The Three Triplets slowly half dragged themselves into the doorways sand evident on their clothes.
 
`Gaara.' He thought knowing the short tempered holder of Shukaaku had to be the culprit though why Baki had no idea, Gaara had not attacked anyone for a while at the Academy.
 
“Bye, Gaara.” Hinata said simply as she turned around and headed back for the classroom, running fast so he wouldn't see her tears trailing behind her.
 
However, the Land of the Wind stayed true to its name and the wind blew an escaped tear onto his cheek. Gaara felt his heart clench. He had finally made a friend, had not even hurt them with his sand, but had hurt Hinata worse, for his keen aquamarine eyes picked up on her holding her heart as she ran through the Academy doors.
 
 
Mic Mic: Hello everyone ^_^ This my first Naruto fanfic. I have become a Naruto fan and I thought it would never happen but it did nonetheless. This fic is GaaHina my fav Naruto pairing. Mainly because I would think Hinata would heal his pain and they are pretty alike.
 
I've been wanting a good fic where they are young and grow up together maybe to see if Gaara would change. For Gaara it's completely the same environment and storyline so eventually he'll get his love tattoo ^_~ and Hinata is the same family and everything they just live in a different village. Naruto and the other kids are still chilling in Konoha but they shall interact soon enough. Eventually I'll make them older I'm gonna try and take this story all the way to the time Gaara becomes Kazekage so they will grow but I won't make it too rapid either. Tell me what you think, a little bit of kid time and a lot of adult time or maybe have it evened out in the story.
 
Review please, I really appreciate your feedback ^_~
Mic Mic