Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission: Freak Out Kakashi ❯ Freaking Out About Kakashi ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here is chapter 8! You'll get to see Kakashi's side of the story here, so this chapter is a serious one. Please review!
 
NOTES: Sakura is 15 in this fanfic. Just thought I'd make that clear. She's known Kakashi for a while. Just incase someone skipped over the last notes I wrote in here. Thanks for all of your reviews!
 
Be sure to check out my newest KakaSaku work Motherhood.
 
Also, it did seem quick, but it's deeper then that. Sakura doesn't know what she's feeling at the moment and a lot of things are swirling together. She's making a decision based on impulse.
 
 
 
Mission: Freak Out Kakashi
 
Chapter 8: Freaking Out About Kakashi
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
 
 
:::
 
 
`I think I love you.' The sentence echoed through his head no sooner then it rolled off of her lips. Confusion ran through his mind. Kakashi wasn't expecting this sort of answer from one of his students.
 
This was no joke. He could tell from the look on her face. Sincerity and shyness painted themselves on her features. Her eyes had shown with uncertainly, as if she didn't want to admit to him what she was feeling.
 
He didn't want to turn her down, but he didn't want to accept it either. To be close to anyone resulted in death or betrayal. He would only be hurting them and himself by doing so.
 
“Sakura…” Was all he could even muster.
 
The pink haired girl tore her gaze from him and looked at the patch of dirt on the ground. “So…Maybe it was a date…I just didn't know it yet.”
 
Kakashi was speechless; he didn't know what to tell her.
 
It seemed dark, forbidden and even a little taboo to love your student. Sure, he had heard of the student gets a girly crush on their teacher scenario, but he never thought it would happen to him.
 
He couldn't have seen this coming, even with the help of Sharingan.
 
“Well…You know.” The girl began to get nervous, perhaps even wanting to take back what she said. Sakura was beginning to get the feeling that she was being turned down silently, and the anticipation began to develop into a maelstrom of doubt. “We should just go you know. The sun is almost down. Let's just forget that I even said that, ok?”
 
“Hmm…” Kakashi looked at the sun, which was almost hidden behind the landscape behind it. “Sakura…”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Do you really feel that way? Because if you do, there's no use in forgetting it.”
 
“I'm…Not sure.” She looked down, thinking that maybe it was a crush or something that she thought of on a whim. It was really quick for her to come up with an answer. Maybe it was just guilt riding on her shoulders over the whole joke aspect.
 
After pondering a few minutes, she looked up at him, green eyes meeting a single one. She could see the feeling bouncing around within the orb's depths.
 
“Kakashi-sensei…” She said, hesitating before saying the rest of her sentence, not sure whether to ask this of him or not, but she decided to go ahead with it. “Could you at least help me out? I mean if you think about it, it would be a good idea if we pretended to go out. That way, we can decide if I really like you or if it's just a phase…”
 
“And so you can continue with your pranks on Naruto?” Kakashi asked.
 
The girl looked down. “I guess, but I don't want it to seem like it's just that. Because it's not.”
 
“I see.”
 
“I won't be mad if you don't want to comply.” Sakura replied.
 
The cog wheels of Kakashi's mind rolled around like clockwork, rummaging through the many options he had at the moment and trying to decide which of these options would be in the best interest of both he and Sakura, and which ones wouldn't work out.
 
He could say yes, and when he thought about it, it wouldn't be that bad other then the factor that they would be spending time together, allowing him to get closer to her. This was something that always ground on his soul since Obito's death. The jounin suffered survivor's guilt over the whole thing and couldn't cope with ruining another human life because of his own negligence. He couldn't forgive himself if her life were to ever be taken from her and he could help in no way.
 
On the other hand, he wouldn't technically be getting close to her. It was just a joke. A harmless prank. She'd be back to loving Sasuke again after the pranking contest was over. What was there to lose? When he thought about it, not much, unless things developed into something more. Perhaps if he stayed distant, she would not question him further on his actions or get close to him.
 
“It doesn't matter, Sakura.”
 
“Really?” She asked, almost in a non-believing voice. `He's actually going along with it…Wait…What's the catch?'
 
“But why?”
 
“Because you asked me to.” Was his simple answer as he turned away, his back facing her. “We still have an outing to go on, right? “ He looked over his shoulder at the girl. “You can always tell Naruto that I went on a date with you. It'll be our little secret. It's not like Naruto would ask me something like that.”
 
Sakura's face turned into one of disgust. “Ew! That's gross Kakashi-sensei!” She wailed and pointed at him. “I hope Naruto isn't that desperate to beat me.”
 
“Well, I suppose if he were, no matter how disturbing that would be, you could feel like your succeeding at something, right?”
 
“What do you mean?” Green eyes blinked.
 
“I realize that you don't feel like one of the squad's most valuable members, which is probably why you took Naruto up on this challenge.”
 
She looked down. He got her.
 
“Yes.” Sakura replied in defeat.
 
The two of them stood in silence as the curtain of night befell Konoha and the stars began to pierce the dark of night, like shining beacons of hope.
 
Kakashi decided to break the silence. “The stars are nice, aren't they?”
 
“Yes, very pretty. They almost look like diamonds.”
 
“We should go. We don't have much time.”
 
“Right.” Sakura nodded.
 
The two headed off and decided to find a nice place to eat dinner and share some quality time together. At the quaint little restaurant, the two of them sat at a table and shared words in conversation, talking about things that were completely off-topic from their earlier discussions of missions and Naruto's pranks.
 
Sakura found herself enlightened by his advice, yet annoyed by some of his witty remarks to her material. She laughed at his jokes, and felt sympathy for his sadness. Getting to know him in more then a teacher-student related way really gave her an insight to him that not many people would have the opportunity to gain from such an experience.
 
He was a very deep, somewhat lazy, intelligent and mysterious man before.
 
Now her views had changed. He was still somewhat lazy, deep, intelligent and mysterious, but he was also remorseful over something, sad and hidden but kind and understanding, always willing to help her out and give her some words of encouragement.
 
“That was really good huh?” She asked.
 
“Yes, thank you Sakura.” He replied.
 
“No problem.”
 
Walking home, the two of them strolled along casually, watching the stars, shining in the sky and admiring their celestial beauty. Sakura took a deep breath and exhaled into the night.
 
“The air is exhilarating, isn't it?”
 
“Hm..” Was her only answer as her sensei tipped his head up to gaze into the midnight colored skies. “I suppose.”
 
“Let me guess, it just makes you tired, right?”
 
“A little.”
 
“You know, I really did have a good time.”
 
“I should be telling you that, Sakura. You're the one who invited me.”
 
“Well, if I did it by myself I'd be lonely, wouldn't I?” She asked.
 
“It would be like asking out Sasuke.”
 
Sakura went silent.
 
Kakashi wasn't sure if he shot himself in the foot or the head with that comment.
 
“Sorry about that. I know you really like him.”
 
“No, it's okay…” She replied. “I probably deserve that.”
 
“…”
 
They both stood in the dirt path, neither one moving an inch. Then something unexpected happened…
 
Kakashi gave Sakura a small hug, acting on impulse. The girl gasped beneath him, startled by his sudden movement.
 
“Kakashi-sensei…” Was all she could get out.
 
“Yes, Sakura?” The older man asked, wondering to himself why he had made the first move, and hoping that she didn't take it too literally, as she had done other things.
 
“You're a lot nicer then Sasuke.” She smiled, putting her hands on his forearms.
 
He arched an eyebrow at this, not sure how to take the playfully executed remark.
 
Sakura could feel the warmth all around her as she closed her eyes momentarily. Why did it feel so right to be like this with your teacher? Why did her once restless soul seem so calm now that he was by her side? Why did she feel an inner peace when he was around her? Why was she so soothed by his voice?
 
She was so confused at the mixed signals she had been receiving.
 
Kakashi broke the hug and told her that they were now at her house. She nodded and watched him walk away in the night. The moonlight illuminating his figure as he walked off.
 
Green eyes lay sight over him until she could no longer see him.
 
Pink lips curved into a smile as she found herself wistfully thinking his name.
 
There was a silence as she stood there, the slight blow of the wind lifted a few pink locks of her hair up and played with them, making them dance in a swaying fashion in the air.
 
Maybe an angelic Kakashi wasn't so out of the question.
 
TBC
 
 
 
A/N: That was probably short, but I'm having plot bunnies. Anyone have any ideas what I can write. It's getting harder to drag this story on. If you have an idea and I use it, you will get credit.
 
Anyway, please review and tell me what you think!