Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Moon Flower ❯ Uta no Sabishii ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: ...Do I really have to keep putting this up? *long silence* I guess I might as well...*sigh* I don't own Naruto.
 
Chapter 3
 
~*~*~*~
 
The moon's pale, silvery light illuminated the now sleeping village. It had been some hours since the festival had ended and all the residents had wearily retired to their beds. Or at least, all but one.
 
A playful wind stirred her midnight tresses and swirled the flower petals at her feet as she slowly walked through the courtyard. She reached the cherry tree, its pink blossoms seeming to glow in the faint light of the moon. She settled down under it and took out the object she had been holding close to her all night.
 
All the sleeping villagers stirred slightly and settled down as the quiet, haunting melody played on the wind. A melody of heartbreaking joy and radiant darkness...a melody of contradictions. Then the tone changed slightly. It was now full of sadness, pain, confusion, loss. It was a song of farewell.
 
As the last note sounded, slender fingers slowly drew the flute down. Her eyes held unshed tears and seemed so lonely...so lost. She looked down at her hands, clutching the flute tight. Why? Why this melody? Why was it that every full moon, she felt the need to play something, anything and it always turned out to be this particular tune?
 
“...Who...am I...?” she whispered out into the night air. As she sat still, it seemed as if she could hear spirits whispering to her.
 
“...ours...”
 
“...dear one...”
 
“...you...apart...”
 
“Do you know me?” she looked up and could see shadowy figures around her, seemingly trying to comfort her. “Can you tell me who I am? I...can't remember...”
 
“...inside...self”
 
“...the door...”
 
“...locked...must open...”
 
“A locked...door...? Inside...me?” at those words, the spirits, if that was what they were, dissipated. But she never noticed. Her eyes stared out unseeingly into the darkness as she went deep inside herself. Always, always, when she had done this, there had been a door. She had wanted so badly to open it but never could. Now, she gathered her will and touched the handle.
 
Everything faded away into a white light.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Sasuke yawned and ruffled his already messy hair. `I wonder what time it is...?' He looked over at the clock and his eyes widened.
 
”Masaka!! It can't be this late already!” He hurriedly slid on a yukata and splashed his face with some water. As he turned to walk out, he bumped into something...something that went “Eep!” and fell to the floor.
 
“S-Sasuke-san!” he looked down and saw her, holding onto a flute and looking startled. “Were you heading out?”
 
“Aa...gomen,” he replied, and bent down to help her up. As they both straightened up, he noticed her once lifeless eyes had a new shine to them.
 
“...Y—“ he started to say but was interrupted.
 
“Ano, Sasuke-san...do you have to go where you were headed?” she asked him.
 
“Ah, yes. Today all ANBU have to be present with Hokage-sama,” he replied. “Why? Did you want to go somewhere?”
 
“...Maybe,” she replied.
 
“I'll take you tomorrow, is that okay?” he asked as he got his mask and outfit together. “I'll be back a little late...don't wait up.”
 
As he disappeared in a puff of smoke, a tiny sigh escaped her lips. “Demo, Sasuke-san...I won't be here tomorrow...”
 
~*~*~*~
 
Hiro: Hmm...this is pretty short...I'm sorry. I'll write more next time, I swear!
Oh, and I apologize if Sa-kun seems kinda OOC...I deliberately made him that way. >__< I wonder if anybody has noticed that the girl doesn't have a name? o__o;;
This chapter didn't really turn out the way I wanted it...as I have said, the story has a life of its own. -___-;;
If the story doesn't really seem consistent at times, it's because the story doesn't really seem to like me. If any of you are wondering how that can be, it's because I believe stories are already there, the authors just set them down on paper.
 
DC-chan: (May I call you that? -__-;) ...I'm starting to have this nagging suspicion that you're the only one who reads this story...T—T No, this Kaguya is not the one from Inu-chan's movie...this one is very nice and a REAL princess of the moon. The other Kaguya is more based on the Legend of the Hagoromo than on Kaguya-Hime. No, you're not being far-fetched but she isn't the princess. >__< And I love you love you love you for updating Rock My World~! Thank you for reviewing~!