Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto : Mugen Kuukan ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Eiko awoke to the sound of pouring rain. She could hear voices talking, and after a long moment, of slowly coming to, she could tell It was Kakashi, and Tsunade. She opened her eyes to be greeted by them both. Kakashi seemed a little more friendly that he had earlier.

“Awake already, impressive.” he spoke up over the dull roar of the rain. She tried to sit up, thought better of it, and laid back down.

“I feel worse than I did the other days…” she grumbled.

“You used up most of your chakra today. Just rest easy, you’ve earned it.” Tsunade added.

“When did it start to rain?” she asked.

“Not to long ago, an hour maybe. Luckily for you, Gaara brought you up here before you were washed away.” Kakashi said. She gawked.

“Gaara did? Again?” she asked.

“It surprised us too. Gaara isn’t a very open person, he’s only just begun to open up, he used to be a very complicated young man. As you are well aware, Naruto has the ability to change people. The fact that he shows any interest at all is impressive.” Kakashi began. Eiko managed to sit up slowly.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“Well, despite all his hardships, he is still a young man,” Kakashi began.

“Just be quiet Kakashi, she’s half conscious,” Tsunade cut in. Eiko managed to stand shakily, and wobbled her way over to the railing they were both leaning over.

“So how did I do anyways?” she asked.

“You did really damn good, to put it simply. Plenty of room for improvement, not sure still just how far your abilities go, but if you chose to, you’d have one hell of a career as a ninja.” Tsunade answered.

“If I hurt like this after each day, I say its for the birds.” she murmured Kakashi laughed quietly.

“The more you train, the more your stamina builds up, id say that if you trained hard, you could be even three times longer to use chakra before exhausting yourself.” he said.

“I’m sleeping in tomorrow,” she murmured. She glanced up as thunder rumbled in the dark sky above. She could see flashes here and there. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end.

“That doesn’t look normal,” she pointed out.

“Doesn’t feel normal either. Might be a diversion, so someone can slip in unnoticed.” Kakashi said, glancing around slowly.

“Wow, didn’t think trouble would start already…” she muttered.

“Don’t worry. You’ll get plenty of rest before that time comes, IF it comes.” Tsunade added quietly. Kakashi knelt down in front of her.

“I’ll take you back to your room. The sooner you rest up the better.” he said. She nearly stumbled walking over to him, and climbed onto his back. He stood, and turned to Tsunade. She nodded, and in one swift motion, he leapt out into the rainy skies.Chapter Three



The second stage of the chunin exams had completed, a week later, and the arena was full of many spectators, who had come to watch the third stage. Naruto couldn’t get over the nostalgic feeling that washed over him from the sight down below. He remembered when he had to be down there, back when everything started. He had just met Jiriya, and he had a month to train before the third stage began. It was also, of course, back when Sasuke was still around.

He himself was a Jounin now. It took him a little time to get there, but he did. He was even closer to his dream. He glanced over to where Gaara sat, in a chair beside Tsunade, clad in his Kazekage garb. Naruto smirked when Gaara glanced his way. He always told Gaara that he was next, to just wait and see. Gaara told him he didn’t doubt it in the least, and it was because of him that he became Kazekage. Naruto nudged Eiko , whom stood beside him with his elbow gently.

“Make sure to pay attention, if you decide to become a Ninja, you’ll need to know what to expect.” he whispered. She offered him a smirk.

“Expect the unexpected, right?” she asked. Naruto nodded, and glanced skyward. The rain still fell, albeit not as hard as it first had. The exams were to be held as planned, and the examinees were to fight. Naruto couldn’t imagine if he had to fight in the rain back then.

That’s when he fought Gaara too. Back when he first met the guy he now considered one of his closest friends. To think how against all odds things seemed back then…

“So does Granny Tsunade keep you busy?” he asked.

“Kind of, she’s been preoccupied with stuff, so I haven’t done much.” she replied.

“Well, maybe you can tag along with us on our next mission. Were going to be escorting the Kazekage back to the Sand Village when the exams are over. It shouldn’t be a problem at all if you’re with us.” he suggested. Her face lit up.

“Gaara’s Village? It sounds interesting. I think I might take you up on that.” she said.


The exams went on for a while, Matsuri of the sand village won her match. Naruto bit his lower lip when Konohamaru walked to the center of the arena. When did Konohamaru get that far so fast?! No sooner did he become a jounin, that Konohamaru was working on becoming a chunin?! The boy below faced his opponent, a young boy from the sand village.

No sooner had the proctor said to begin, when a loud thunderous roar shook the sky above, drawing the attention away from the fight below. Naruto glanced up, as did most everyone else in the arena. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end. Naruto glanced to where Kakashi stood, only to jump when he appeared behind him.

“What is it?” he asked. Eiko let out a yelp as a bolt of lightning struck the arena below. Konohamaru and the other boy retreated from the open ground below, seeking shelter back where the other competitors were.

“Two of their objectives are here in Konoha, its not far fetched to believe that they would attack. They’re persistent, I’ll give them that,” Kakashi murmured.

“Akatsuki? Already?” Naruto breathed.

“They would go through all this trouble for me…what’s their other objective?” Eiko asked. Naruto looked at her.

“Well, you told everyone your secret. I guess its only fair that you know mine. I have the Kyuubi sealed within me, and Akatsuki is after it. They have taken others already, for what reason I don’t know, but one thing I do know is, they’ll never get their hands on mine.” he said. He waited for her reaction. It was a mixture of surprise, astonishment, and one other, that he only saw in the eyes of one other person, a Jinchuuriki like him…

Understanding.

She might not have one of the tailed beasts inside of her, but according to what she said, there was some kind of monster within her that tormented her, made her live a life of isolation, and get treated badly by everyone else. Her own family murdered before her very eyes…he couldn’t begin to understand what that must have been like that, to be afraid to sleep at night, reliving that night over and over. But they were the same. Just like Gaara, they were three of a kind, and all targeted by Akatsuki.

“Greedy bastards I’d say,” she spoke up. Naruto smirked.

“They’re always trying to find and acquire other jutsu too. I’m not sure how it works, but I think its safe to say that they’re not after your Kekkei Genkai, but your mimic jutsu. Or, and I hope I‘m wrong, they are looking for a new recruit…” Kakashi spoke up. Naruto glanced up as Gaara approached.

“Recruit?” Eiko scoffed, as if the very idea were absurd.

“Kankuro said that there was an Akatsuki in the village.” He spoke up quietly. Naruto clenched his teeth.

“So, they had the nerve to show up again after all,” he murmured. Kankuro was hurrying towards them, Gaara’s gourd in one hand.

“Why can’t the exams just ever go off without a hitch…” Kankuro spoke up as he reached them. Gaara took off the hat he wore, and slid the sling for the gourd over his shoulder, before placing the hat back on his head.

“We need to get to the Hokage mansion.” Kakashi announced.

“At least it’s not too far.” Eiko spoke up. Naruto laughed quietly.

“Its easier said than done.” he said quietly.

“What do you mean??” she asked, confused.

“Keep your guard up, you’ll see.” Kankuro added, before turning to Gaara.

“No unnecessary risks now,” he told Gaara.

Gaara looked a little annoyed at that. Naruto grumbled, and flexed his fingers. Gaara was more than capable, even without Shukaku. When he had been revived, Naruto lent his own chakra to Chiyo during the process, and subsequently, that chakra was infused within Gaara, so his own level of chakra, already high in itself without Shukaku, was staggeringly high. Gaara still had his ability to manipulate sand, and from what he heard, his absolute defense was still just as powerful.

“Naruto, you and Sakura come with me. Make a few shadow clones while you’re at it.” Kakashi spoke up. Naruto quirked a brow.

“Huh?”

“Trust me, I have an idea, and it just might work.”


*******



Naruto, Kakashi and Sakura, along with the shadow clones of Eiko, Gaara and Kankuro he created, made their way to the Hokage mansion. Rain poured down relentlessly. Naruto bit his lower lip as they made their way through it, soaked clear to the skin. Eiko, Gaara and Kankuro were making their way around the long way, hopefully enough of a distraction to confuse whatever Akatsuki agents were here. Though he had a bad feeling he knew just who was here. Naruto barely launched himself off a rain slick rooftop when an array of various kunai were hurled straight at him. One sliced through his sleeve, barely grazing skin, and the rest he deflected with his own kunai knife.

He dropped in a low crouch behind Kakashi and Sakura, the shadow clones mimicked their actions. Naruto fought to catch his breath as his anger began to grow bit by bit. Sure enough, the familiar form was before the, several meters away, the distinctive black robe with red clouds visible through the torrential downpour. Naruto kept his gaze lowered, knowing full well that eye contact with their opponent wasn’t an option.

“This is getting annoying…” he muttered. Kakashi stiffened slightly. It was Sakura who spoke first, throwing Naruto off guard.

“You’ve got a lot of nerve showing your face around here!” she practically snarled.
“I go where I please,” Itachi replied indifferently. Naruto nearly rolled his eyes.

“That goes both ways. I don’t intend to go anywhere with you, so leave Konoha!” Naruto spoke up.

“Your shadow clones are pathetic…” Itachi muttered. Naruto cursed under his breath, and released the jutsu. The three forms of Eiko, Gaara, and Kankuro vanished.

“A very bold move of you to attack in broad daylight. I’m sure your friend is close by. Its not like you to wander around alone, unless that’s not really you at all.” Kakashi spoke up. Itachi smirked slightly.

“Well, as one would say, there’s only one way to find out…” Itachi mused. He attacked the same instant Naruto blinked.



*******