Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ No Love Lost ❯ Part 2, Insanity ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
This is a six or seven part story; I have yet to decide. Also, I changed the direction. It was a NaruSaku fic, but it takes a direction to NaruHina with past NaruSaku
--
Naruto was crying again. He was always crying. After what had happened, there was no way he couldn’t. At the moment, he had two emotions in his heart. Hate, and guilt. He hated Sasuke. Sasuke, the bastard, had taken her away from him. Him and his damn Chidori had taken away the love of his life.
Sasuke had lunged through that smoke blindly, and pierced his Sakura’s heart with the chidori. Sakura, the best medic he had ever known, who had passed Tsunade at the age of sixteen, had died instantly. Sakura, the pink-haired girl who had given him her heart, who had loved him and cared for him despite anything he did.
Naruto’s second emotion was guilt. He felt it was his fault that Sakura was dead. Had he been paying more attention, had he been noting her location… Had he cared enough to know where she was when he dispelled that clone, she would have not died. Naruto kept saying to himself It’s Sasuke’s fault!But still, inside, he felt that at least part of it was his own fault. Naruto cried even harder, grasping the kunai knife he had been contemplating in his hand while holding the ring he had been planning to give her that night in his other hand.
--
Sasuke was sitting in the holding cell for extremely dangerous people. It wasn’t his fault. That is what he kept telling himself. It was Naruto, it was his fault because he was unpredictable. He didn’t know whether the blond would come from the smoke, or behind him. So Sasuke had taken a chance. But, inside, the guilt was eating his insides away like a maggot through garbage. He shouldn’t have taken that chance. He should have noted where the girl he loved was, before making any sort of attack.
Sasuke banged his head on the wall, and continued to look at the ground. Tears trailed down his face. Tsunade had sentenced him to twenty years in prison for unintentional murder. It would be twenty long years of thinking about what he had done before he could leave. He heard a knock on the outer door, where his ANBU guards stood waiting. He stood, shrugging the heavy ninja-proof chains off of his shoulder. They were attached to his arms and legs, preventing him from escaping.
He waited to see who his visitor was, but it seemed to take forever. Finally, his door opened to reveal… Rock Lee. Sasuke nodded. Lee had promised to protect Sakura, and she had been killed, which meant his promise had been broken.
“Sasuke…” Lee said, coming inside as they locked the door behind him. Sasuke wouldn’t look at the eighteen year old mini-Gai. “Uchiha Sasuke, you must listen to me. Naruto had become suicidal. He needs someone to help him, and you are the closest thing he has to family right now.” Lee said. Sasuke shook his head, and looked at the Taijutsu-expert with tears in his eyes.
“Why would I want to help him?” Sasuke yelled. “He took Sakura away from me! Had he not done that, she would still be alive today!”
“You know it isn’t his fault, Uchiha Sasuke. You know what the cause of her death was.” Lee said sadly. Sasuke grimaced as tears hit the floor.
“Tell Naruto that suicide won’t be true to Sakura’s memory. And Lee, if you ever come in here again, I won’t hesitate to kill you.” Sasuke said as Lee closed the door.
--
Hinata was not a happy girl. Her father had given her until the time she was eighteen to find an appropriate suitor. That, and she was grieving for Naruto. Naruto had gone into the hospital last night with self-inflicted knife wounds that he refused to let regenerate. Tsunade had knocked him out, and healed him, before putting him in a ninja-proof strait jacket so he couldn’t hurt himself anymore. Hinata wanted to visit the blond, but her time had been consumed with missions and lectures from her father.
Today she decided to go visit the love of her life. Even after all these years, she hadn’t lost her love for the blond. He had inspired her to do her best, and she eventually made jonin. Naruto’s determination had given her the courage to stand up to her father, and allowed her to create her own fighting style that improvised on the Juken, making it way more flexible and useful. With Naruto, Hinata would have never figured out how to push chakra out of any place in her body similar to a Juken attack, allowing her to use Juken when kicking and elbowing also.
As she entered the hospital, she noticed the long line of supporters there for Naruto. Most were people who were trying to earn his forgiveness for treating him so badly when he was younger. They had changed their minds after he had killed Madara. Hinata noticed a line that said ‘Family and Friends.’ Hinata went down the line, to see Lee, Neji, Ino, Shikamaru, Chouji, Kiba, and Shino there. They nodded at her presence. She also saw Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro. Gaara was looking sad.
Gaara had experience this sort of thing early in his life, and was amazed Naruto hadn’t given in until now. And it took the death of the most important person in his life to drive him that far. Gaara was also amazed that Naruto had actually given in. Naruto had never given up, on anything. As long as Gaara had known the blond, Naruto had never given up on anything important to him, even if the situation was impossible. Even when Gaara had died, and Naruto had learned of this, he still wanted to rescue the ex-jinchuriki.
Hinata smiled sadly at them as they let her through. She was the last to come, and they didn’t blame her. She had been busy with other things that were almost as important, and couldn’t make it. She was here now, and they didn’t want to berate her when she was about to see the condition Naruto was in.
Hinata headed inside to see Naruto sitting in the middle of the room, in the strait jacket, looking at the floor. Hinata walked over, and put her hand on Naruto’s back.
“Naruto-kun? Are you ok?” Hinata asked, and Naruto turned to her. She had never seen him so broken, so down. It was as though he had given up.
“Hinata… Why couldn’t I save her?” Naruto asked quietly. Hinata was silent. Ino was peeking in, and nodded. Naruto had asked all of them the same thing, and no matter how they answered, he always turned back to the floor, and continued to whisper that question over and over.
“Oh, Naruto-kun.” Hinata said, and hugged the blonde to her. If this had happened on a normal day, Hinata would have fainted, but today was different. Naruto’s eyes went wide, and he buried his head into her shoulder, and cried. Hinata patted his back as he sobbed into her shoulder.
“I saw the chidori going, and I tried to stop it, but he was too far away. Why did he have to do that?” Naruto sobbed into her shoulder.
“Naruto-kun, it isn’t your fault. You could not have stopped it.” Hinata whispered into his ear, and he nodded. After a few minutes of comforting Naruto, Hinata told him she had to go.
“Don’t leave me! I am so tired of being alone…” Naruto said with a pleading look in his eye. Hinata nodded, and opened the door. Neji was still there.
“Neji-nii-san, can you tell my father that I’ll be here?” Hinata asked, and Neji nodded.
“Yes, Hinata-sama. It will be good for him for you to stay here.” Neji said, and turned to leave. Hinata came back into the room, and Naruto was looking up at her, tears welling in his eyes. Hinata got down, and held him close, and he broke into tears again. As she held him, she heard something like a ‘Thank you.’ She smiled, and they fell asleep with her comforting him.