Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Over Coming Me ❯ Forced Understanding ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.
 
Chapter 2: Hard Truths
 
 
The trail to the missing kunoichi was rather obvious; all he had to do was follow the battered foliage. A good ways away from their camp he came to a clearing, a newly made clearing by the looks of it. She was slumped with her back against a broken log in the middle of the carnage staring down at the ground covered in bits of wood and dust. She began to speak as he approached her. Her voice sounded empty and hollow.
 
“You needn't have come. I'm fine.”
 
Kakashi took a sweeping look around before answering.
 
“You almost depleted your entire source of chakra and in the process disintegrated a large portion of the forest. Sakura, you are not fine.”
 
She didn't even move an inch from her defeated position as he crouched in front of her. His dark eye roved over her, checking her condition. She had minor scratches on her legs and arms possibly from flying debris. Her gloved hands were torn and bleeding, lying piteously in her lap.
 
Kakashi was to say the least stunned for a second time that night. The last time Sakura Haruno had ever completely lost control like this had been two years ago, the night her mother had died.
 
Apparently, from what he was told by Naruto, he had found her in a situation similar to this one. Sakura had been devastated to learn that cancer had taken her last living parent, an enemy that she couldn't fight, and an enemy that left no means of revenge.
 
He still couldn't fathom why current events would have lead to a similar outburst from her. Granted, she hadn't known about Naruto and Sasuke's decision but even that mixed with his answer surely shouldn't have produced such an outcome similar to that night two years ago. Then as if a light had suddenly been lit in the dark, he had his answer and the guilt inside him squeezed his heart.
 
`She's like the three of us now more than ever. She has no family left just her friends. Two of her best friends are slipping through her fingers in her eyes. She probably feels betrayed that they didn't tell her. Somehow without me even knowing she I had been included in her close knit circle of friends that she considers family and I…'
 
Silently shaking his head, he unsnapped a vest pocket and retrieved a roll of gauze. Wordlessly he reached for her right hand and pulled off the tattered glove. He knew she didn't possess the strength to resist at the moment. He began to carefully wrap her bloodied fist as he listened to her steady breathing.
 
“You don't have to. I can heal them later.” She still wasn't looking at him, but staring droopy eyed at the ground.
 
“I'm aware. This is just a precaution for infection.”
 
`Everything he does has some important reason behind it. I should know that by now. Still, he shouldn't act like he cares. It's part of the reason why I'm out here in the first place.'
 
Sakura only grunted at him. As he grabbed her second hand to start the wrapping process he remembered why he had come out here to find her in the first place. He glanced at her shadowed face beneath her short pink hair before speaking. Years of practice kept his voice blank and devoid of all emotion. He figured he'd start from the top.
 
“You asked me a question earlier and I….” Her head dropped further to her chest as she spoke.
 
“Kakashi-sensei please, I'm tired. I'll forget it if you do. I'm just too tired right now.” He continued in his work and kept on like she had never interrupted.
 
“…never got a chance to finish my sentence because you interrupted me like your trying to do now.”
 
`I don't want to hear this…' Sakura stayed quiet even though she wanted to scream at him. She didn't have the strength to. Kakashi finished wrapping her hand and then stood and walked a few spaces away. He stared up at the moon with his back to her. After a short pause he continued.
 
“A team leader's duty is to ensure the safety of his team. He/She is responsible for the outcome of the mission. I am the team leader of Team Kakashi. I am held responsible for the well being of Naruto, Sasuke and even you Sakura. It is my duty to keep you three informed of mission information and on a considerable amount of occasions…in line. So, yes you three are a responsibility to me.”
 
At hearing her fear being voiced so matter-of- factly even though she knew all this already, she snapped. With her last ounces of strength she tried to rise. She wanted to desperately remove herself from the situation, from the man she had so stupidly considered close to her all these years.
 
Her legs and arms shook as she tried to hoist herself off the ground. Kakashi heard her desperate struggle but did not turn around. Sakura was halfway in a standing position when her wobbly knees gave out and she slid to the ground once again, hitting her back roughly on the log. Once Kakashi heard Sakura still her self he continued.
 
“I had no idea the three of you would pass my test all those years ago. Sometimes even still I wonder… I would be lying to you if I said I did not see you three as just another duty, another mission….”
 
`Why is he telling me this? I don't want to hear this. I don't think I can take this…'
 
“You were all selfish, over emotional, inexperienced and way too naïve for my liking, but you were a mission and as a Konoha ninja it's my duty to fulfill ever mission given to me whether I like it or not.”
 
Kakashi lowered his vision from the sky and directed it toward the darkened mass of trees before him. Sakura's eyes burned with unshed tears that she angrily refused to let fall. She would not cry in front of this man, not now and definitely not ever again. Something close to hate welled up in her chest giving her just enough strength to ball her fists in the dirt.
 
`She has to hear this, the truth. She has to hear it all if she is to understand.' This was the silver haired ninja's silent mantra as he continued in his speech.
 
“I resented you all in a way; Naruto for being the demise of my sensei, Sasuke for reminding me of my self, and you for being a silly little love struck girl who'd rather stare at Sasuke then train.”
 
Sakura had no idea that her ex-sensei had ever felt that way about them. She had been worried that they were just a duty to him; she had no idea that he had…hated them. Several emotions mixed within her; shame for how true his words were, anger at him for stating it so bluntly, and frustration for not being able to get up and hit him for saying such things. Mostly, she just felt hurt, it was an incredible hurt. It was the kind of hurt that made you nauseous and want to rip your own heart out of your chest just to stop the pain.
 
`I've always trusted you, I've always held such respect for you, and all this time you've silently hated us, hated me.'
 
Sakura felt like she couldn't take another word or she would surely burst. She found her voice and said the only thing she could think of.
 
“…stop...” Her will was broken and the tears she had been holding back silently slipped down her dirt covered cheeks.
 
Kakashi heard her emotion filled plea and felt the sting of pain that had nothing to do with battle. It was a pain he hadn't felt in years. His brows knitted as his gaze lowered to the forest floor, his silent mantra louder than ever in his ears. He was amazed to find that his voice was ever the same.
 
“You surprised me at the Chuunin Exam Sakura. Well, you and Naruto, but you most of all. I hadn't really lifted a finger to train you and yet you became stronger on you own. I think that's when I first realized that I might have been wrong about you. When Sasuke left that's when I realized I had been wrong about all three of you.”
 
Kakashi sighed and stuffed his hands deeper into his pockets before turning around to face her. She was sitting rather sloppily on her knees with her top half hunched forward. He could hear her tears hitting the dirt beneath her. The sight tore at him, but he stayed were he was.
 
`Where is he going with this? Can't he see how tired I am, tired of everything? I just want to forget this night ever happened and go back to the way things used to be between us. I never knew denial could be so sweet… I don't want to hear anymore...'
 
“Every assumption I've ever made, you three have managed to prove wrong. The three of you may have learned teamwork while under my tutelage, but that is about the only thing of significance. If anything you all have taught me. I do not deserve to have “sensei” attacked to my name by any of you and nor do I deserve your friendship…”
 
Sakura sat stunned in her spot on the ground even Inner Sakura was speechless.
 
“It is almost safe to say that our little team will split up and we will all go our separate ways in the near future…. You may never have to call me Team Leader again Sakura, but I would like it if you could call me `friend' instead.”
 
Sakura hadn't even noticed that he had moved into a crouch in front of her. She had been too shocked to notice anything after hearing his words. Even though his words had not been laced with much emotion, because of who they were coming from it didn't matter and so they meant the world to her. All previous anger or hurt flew out the window.
 
She knew it was highly out of character for him to speak of such things and with such length as well. Because of the years they had spent together as teammates and student and teacher, she knew he had meant every word, good and bad, but she was more than willing to let the bad go this time.
 
She raised her head to give him a teary eyed wide smile as her answer. His eye crinkled and she could tell he was returning it. In the next second she felt strong arms envelope her body and then she found her face pressed into a familiar green vest.
 
Kakashi started to head back to their camp site with his arms heavy with burden, but his chest and heart were at last light and free. He vaguely wondered what changes he had just set into effect but then washed those thoughts away as wanting for sleep set in. He chanced a glance at the jellied mass of flesh in his arms and found two jade orbs staring up into his own. He couldn't help but smile.
 
“You know, you're a lot heavier than the last time I carried you.”
 
Sakura's voice was slightly hoarse when she answered.
 
“I was sixteen, I'm 20 now Kakashi.” He just smiled down at her. It didn't slip his notice that she had dropped the “sensei” part and it suited him just fine.
 
“Kakashi?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Does this mean I can see under your mask now?” He couldn't help the soft chuckle that passed his lips at hearing that. His answer was a little to quick for her liking.
 
“No.”
 
 
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
 
Author's Footnote:
I feel that it's safe to say that Kakashi was't exactly thrilled to receive his first three students and if you think about it he really didn't teach Sakura much as a “sensei” except genjutsu. The kids learned most of it from their new senseis or on their own.
 
Sasuke was the one who got the most training with Kakashi and that was mostly because Sasuke reminded him of himself and has the sharingan.
 
I just threw in the bit about Naruto being the Yodaime's demise because well he was or at least the kyuubi was. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense.
 
I believe that Kakashi had to be harsh in his truth, because it is the truth. My version of Kakashi feels that if he is to be friends with her/them then she/they must know and understand even the bad parts.
 
Ok! Anger complete! Time to build on this new friendship! Cha!
 
Next chapter! Team Kakashi disbands and Sakura learns that some bonds can't be broken!