Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Over Coming Me ❯ Start of friendship ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I just love Kaka/Saku!
 
Chapter 3: Being Needed
 
 
A little less than a year later:
 
Sakura silently cursed as she stepped from the metal elevators onto the hard shiny tile of the hospital's first floor. This was where the lone nurse on the night shift sat tiredly staring out into space.
 
The old woman snapped out of her daze as the click clack of Sakura's sandaled feet neared. The woman offered a maternal smile to the younger Kunoichi.
 
“Off so late child? You shouldn't go making a habit of it. You're a young woman; you should be out enjoying your youth instead of wasting away within these sterile walls.”
 
Sakura smiled back. It was always nice to know that someone cared and she rather liked the grey haired older medic. In a way Sakura felt sorry for the woman. There was a reason the old woman pulled the night shift as a receptionist. Her age had started to affect her skills some years ago.
 
“Ah, Ibata, don't worry I'm going out tonight, actually I'm late in meeting a friend. I was pouring over some scrolls Shizune let me borrow and next thing I knew it was quarter to nine.”
 
Nagumi Ibata just chuckled and shook her head at the short pink haired woman who stopped in the employee lounge across from her to pick up her coat and scarf. When Sakura reappeared the older woman gave her the scoop on the weather outside.
 
“Be sure to bundle up now dear, the air is rather nippy outside tonight. We can't have the village's third ranked medic catching a cold now, can we?”
 
Sakura threw the scarf around her neck and mouth before latching her hand onto the metal door release. She turned toward the old woman in a good-bye.
 
“Thanks for the warning Ibata, you take care as well. Goodnight.”
 
With one push of the metal and glass door, the chilly night air briskly blew into her eyes and hair. The ends of her black scarf billowed in the wind behind her. Her hair whipped the exposed portion of her face as she took off over the nearest roof closest to the hospital.
 
Things had changed drastically since Team Kakashi's last mission together. That mission had been the very one that had ended with exploding trees and even more explosive anger. Kakashi had been right in saying that the team would split up and that its members would go their separate ways.
 
In just a short week after their return journey, both Naruto and Sasuke had passed the ANBU exam. Sakura had been too thankful to see that her boys had survived to feel any sense of loss. It wasn't until the next day when she went to visit did the emptiness creep in.
 
Since the rescue of Sasuke, Sakura always believed that there would be no more secrets between the three best friends, but she soon learned that the ANBU world was one filled with mystery that she was to be left out of.
 
Neither young man was allowed to discuss any details of their exam. They were not even allowed to tell Sakura when it had begun.
 
She had gone calling on one of their days off of training to both the Uchiha and Uzumaki residence to find them empty. In a bout of worry she had sought out their ever informed Team Leader.
 
Sakura had been rather surprised to find out that he too knew not the whereabouts of his two team members.
 
Sakura had calmed down once Kakashi had explained his hunch and soon his words had rung true once the exhausted but happy Uzumaki Naruto had called her house to let her know that they had passed.
 
Neither ANBU elite could tell her about their missions or even who their team members were. The only thing that they had told her was that they were not teamed together. Sakura secretly was thankful for their misfortune.
 
She didn't feel it was right for the two of them to be together if she could not be there. Selfish it was, but it was how she felt.
 
Sakura no longer had Team Kakashi's training time or mission journeys to look forward to where she could spend time with her `boys'. After the disbanding, Sakura had opted to spend her days expanding her knowledge and experience in the medical arts then that of regular Jounin missions like Kakashi had chosen. Tsunade had been more than willing to grant her apprentice's wish.
 
Over the past several cold winter months she hadn't seen much of her three favorite men. It seemed as though Naruto and Sasuke were on conflicting schedules where one was gone while the other remained, but both boys made it a habit to seek her out and she was grateful.
 
Even the reserved Sasuke had shown up at the hospital more then once to take a walk with her and find out the new things that she had learned or experienced.
 
The Hokage seemed to take excessive advantage of the silver haired ninja now that he was solo again. He was constantly being added as an extra member to whatever team happened to be in need of a fourth due to illness or what have you, not to mention high risk solo missions occasionally.
 
Sakura was the only one who remained inside the tall wooden walls of Konohagakure night after night, but she didn't feel alone. Kakashi had been true to his word as well. When he had said that he wanted the three of them to regard him as a friend, he had meant it. On the rare occasions when he found himself with a little off time he would make it a habit to, not only seek out the boys to check up on their progress but her as well.
 
He would drop by the ANBU HQ to see if either young man was in from a mission every now and then just like he would do at the hospital for Sakura. Once he had even taken her out for lunch at the Ichiraku. Sakura had been surprised when he had pushed her money away. In all the years she had known him, the Copy Ninja had never `treated' them before.
 
Even though the members of Team Kakashi had gone their separate ways their paths always found a way to intertwine again.
 
Sakura had other friends as well that kept her company when the nights became too lonely. Yamanaka Ino was always more than willing to go hang out at the local shinobi watering hole whenever the need arose.
 
Occasionally the two kunoichi would catch the other members of the old `Rookie Nine' converged around a table and they were more than happy to join them.
 
Tonight was supposed to be one of those nights. Ino was probably cursing her name right about now. Sakura was supposed to meet the blonde haired blue eyed kunoichi almost an hour ago.
 
Sakura forgoed stopping at home to change and headed in the direction of the main road that ran the length of the village. The lit red lanterns outside of the Shuriken Fountain came into view and soon Sakura was able to make out her friend sitting irritably by the window in their preferred booth.
 
Sakura could see Ino checking the door as she sipped on her drink.
 
By the time Sakura had entered Ino was scowling at her.
 
“What in the hell took you so long forehead?!”
 
Sakura looked sheepishly at her angered friend after she ordered her drink.
 
“Sorry Pig, I was reading over some things and well…sorry.”
 
Ino waved off her words while continuing to look surely. Then her expression changed to one of excitement as the gossip in her took over.
 
“Oh hey! You're never going to guess who came into the flower shop the day before yesterday!”
 
Sakura was busy shrugging off her black leather jacket as she spoke.
 
“Ok, who?”
 
Ino practically squealed in excitement.
 
“Hyuuga Neji! Granted he was buying flowers to take to the monument….you know for Hinata's father and all…. Oh, but he is just so…!”
 
Sakura scoffed.
 
“Yeah if you like the whole A-sexual type.”
 
Ino scowled at her friend and then sighed in defeat.
 
“Why do all the hot ones have to be that way?”
 
Sakura laughed at her friend. She knew she had just lumped Sasuke in with Neji.
 
Here they were almost 21 and the last Uchiha had yet to find that certain someone to help revive his clan. Sakura guessed that the young man would have an easier job in finding a suitable woman if he wasn't so old fashioned.
 
The only reason Sakura knew of the certain qualities Sasuke looked for in a woman was because of Naruto. They had gotten drunk at her house off a good bottle of rice wine while sharing old memories of their time together as Team 7 and it had sort of slipped out.
 
Of course it had slipped out with a few gentle prodding on her side, but Naruto hadn't seemed to mind and so she didn't feel too guilty.
 
What she had learned hadn't really shocked her. Sasuke wanted a demure woman. He wanted the sort of woman who would stay at home and take care of their children and the Uchiha Manor. He wanted a woman who was more seen but not heard, a far cry from any kunoichi Sakura knew.
 
Well, except maybe Hinata, but Sakura was relatively sure that the pearly eyed woman was off the market due to her blonde best friend.
 
Upon thinking of Naruto and Sasuke, Sakura sighed. They were both away that night, but fortunately Naruto had said that tomorrow was to be his probable return date.
 
“Hey Pig, have you heard anything about Kakashi? He hasn't stopped by in a few days.”
 
Ino turned from smiling over at a group of two male shinobi three tables over to their right.
 
“Oh yeah, Neji said something about him being their Team Leader since Gai sensei's got that flu that's going around. Ha! I bet old `Bowl Cut' wasn't too happy to hear that news!”
 
Sakura laughed. She could just imagine a red faced, runny noised Gai crying into his pillow about his `Eternal Rival' besting him yet again.
 
Just then TenTen came through the door with her tied up hair looking utterly windblown. The two girls waved her over and Sakura couldn't help the question that sprang from her lips.
 
“So, does that mean Kakashi's back too?”
 
TenTen scowled as she pulled her ruined hair down around her shoulders.
 
“Yeah, he's back. Our mission was just a stupid escort mission. Neji told the Hokage that Lee, him, and I could have taken care of it on our own but no, she wouldn't hear it.”
 
TenTen took a sip of Ino's drink and then regarded the pink haired woman with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Sakura, how did you do it, seriously?”
 
Sakura laughed and raised a quizzical eyebrow of her own intent to defend her silver haired friend to the fullest
 
“Oh, come on, he's not that bad.”
 
The three girls shared a laugh as TenTen shook her head.
 
“No, that's not what I meant…although…”
 
TenTen scowled as she thought about the two hour wait her and her team members were subjected to. The scowl disappeared from her face as she quickly pushed that thought away. TenTen would trade having to wait for hours then having to put up with hearing one more youthfilled sentence again. Her eyes began to sparkle under the low yellow lighting of the bar.
 
“I meant Kakashi-sensei is so cool! He's like an older version of Neji or Sasuke even. I mean after having to be subjected to Gai sensei for so many years…”
 
TenTen shuddered upon thinking exactly how long she's been saddled with “Bowl Cut” and his “Boy Wonder”. TenTen had always thought that she and Neji were the only sane ones of Team Gai, of course the weapon master always did have a soft spot for the long haired Hyuuga.
 
Sakura rolled her eyes.
 
“Believe me, you'd be singing a different tune if you had to put up with him for as long like I did. I mean, the man hardly talks, he's always late, he ignores you for his stupid books, and he hardly ever eats or drinks in front of you and when he does its so fast that you can't see under that damn mask of his…!”
 
Ino smirked as she nudged TenTen's shoulder with her own. Her voice was playful as she gave Sakura comical suggestive eyebrows.
 
“Yeah, but he's got a really nice…”
 
Ino's hands were in the air mimicking squeezing actions. Ino's surprising words and actions made Sakura spit her drink all over the poor guy passing by.
 
“Oh! I'm so sorry!”
 
The younger man headed off to the bathroom with a new purpose added to his agenda. Sakura vaguely hoped the dark stain would come out of his green vest as she quickly turned back to her two friends who were positively rolling with unsuppressed mirth.
 
“How could you say such a thing? Kakashi does not have…! Come on TenTen, don't tell me you agree with her?”
 
TenTen smiled widely.
 
“Sorry, Sakura, but Ino does have a point. He can be our leader any day as long as I get to be behind him when we're jumping from tree to tree…mm… ”
 
Sakura scowled angrily.
 
“I can't believe you two!”
 
Ino looked affronted.
 
“I can't believe you! I mean, you've had him all to yourself all this time and never even noticed. I'm sorry Sakura but your Sensei is H.O.T.”
 
Sakura ground her teeth together as she glared hard at her two friends.
 
“He's not my Sensei, the Hokage is and anyway he's not H.O.T. I mean you've never even seen his face. Hell, I've never even seen his face!”
 
TenTen shrugged her shoulders.
 
“Don't need to in his case. Sakura really, he's a handsome older man with a nice body to boot. You're just in denial because he used to be your sensei.”
 
Ino nodded her head.
 
“Yeah, but I can see where she's coming from though… I mean I'd never be able to see Asuma-sensei as sexy…”
 
TenTen sneered.
 
“That's because he's not. You're in the same boat I am Ino-chan.”
 
Both girls sighed as Sakura rolled her eyes.
 
“You two are awful, soon you'll be telling me how cute Iruka-sensei is or something….”
 
Sakura smacked her forehead as both girls looked at each other as if what Sakura had just said made perfect sense in that moment.
 
Just then in walked nine rather loud familiar shinobi. The group of friends headed to the table next to the girls once the bearded man waved to the blonde kunoichi who happily waved back.
 
TenTen nudged Ino secretively as the Asuma and Raidou pulled the table up next to their booth.
 
“Oh, my god, its Iruka-sensei and look at who has their arm around him!”
 
Sakura too had noticed the unfamiliar sight of a trench coated laden kunoichi with her tan covered arm around the gentle academy teacher. Mitarashi Anko positively beamed as she planted a loud kiss on her man's cheek. Iruka blushed crimson as he noticed the three girls surprised reactions.
 
The others at the table didn't seem to look twice at the new couple's interaction. Iruka scratched the back of his brown ponytailed head as he addressed the younger women.
 
“Uh, hello girls, enjoying your night?”
 
The three kunoichi positively beamed in answer and then Sakura sighed into her drink once the man looked away.
 
“Even Anko's found someone…”
 
“Yeah…”
 
“Go figure…”
 
Gai sat across from the two lovebirds as Kurenai and Asuma took up the seats next to him closest to Ino. Sakura felt someone playfully ruffle her hair from behind as her two friends smiled toward her visitor with sparkles in their eyes.
 
Sakura playfully swatted at the offending hand as she rolled her eyes with a smile.
 
“Kakashi, I'm not a little girl anymore baka.”
 
The elite Jounin silently shooed Sakura over with a gloved hand and then promptly slid into the red vinyl seat beside her. He gave the other two kunoichi an eye crinkle and a raised hand.
 
“Yo.”
 
The girls gave their fawned hellos as Sakura rolled her eyes at her friends' utter stupidity. Really, Sakura just could not see what they were talking about. Kakashi was…well, Kakashi.
 
Genma and Raidou came back with the first round of drinks for everyone before taking their seats in between a long purple haired female and Kakashi.
 
Sakura felt like she had seen the woman before. She poked her masked friend in the side to get his attention. He had been listening to Asuma talking about the possible ban on cigarettes that the Hokage was thinking about putting into effect for shinobi.
 
Kakashi turned to his pink haired friend with an eyebrow raised in question. Sakura leaned in to him to whisper her question. She didn't want to sound rude in case the woman in question heard her.
 
“Hey, Kakakshi, who's the woman with the wine colored hair? She looks familiar.”
 
His voice was nonchalant as he spoke.
 
“Ah, that's Nozomu Sasaki. She's with Raidou.”
 
Sakura sighed heavily. It seemed like everyone was finding someone these days. Kakashi regarded her with a quizzical eye.
 
“Something wrong Sakura?”
 
Ino spoke up then, she was happy to have finally found a way to talk to the man across from her.
 
“She's just sad that everyone seems to be finding someone, you know. I mean even Iruka sensei…”
 
Ino shuddered as she watched Anko lick their ex-school teacher's neck. Kakashi chuckled under his mask as he watched the bold kunoichi's actions. He nudged Sakura with a broad shoulder. His voice was teasing.
 
“Come on Sakura-chan don't you think your lucky to not to have to put up with stuff like that?”
 
Sakura frowned at her masked companion.
 
“I'm sure I'd pick someone a little less…expressive.”
 
Kakashi laughed. Genma leaned forward in his seat to address the pink haired woman then.
 
“Hey cherry blossom how's the Hospital these days? I'd think it's gotta be better than being saddled with this loser all those years.”
 
Kakashi narrowed his eyes at his brown haired friend as Sakura laughed beside him.
 
“Nah, working at the hospital is great and all, but I miss my `guys', yeah even if one of them needs to learn how to read a watch instead of those perverted books of his.”
 
Genma chuckled as Kakashi turned his narrowed gaze onto his favorite kunoichi. Sakura just winked at him as she teased.
 
“You know it's true.”
 
TenTen and Ino laughed as Kakashi whipped out one of the aforementioned books. He promptly ignored the growl coming from the woman beside him.
 
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Soon the only ones left were the single shinobi except for Ino and TenTen of course. The two young women could only take so much of drunken tales of old `war stories'. Sakura on the other hand couldn't get enough.
 
This was about the only time she ever learned anything about her esteemed Copy Ninja, besides it was steadily looking as though said shinobi was going to need help getting home tonight.
 
Currently Sakura watched as the three remaining Shinobi were locked in an epic battle of `Rock, Paper, Scissors'. Kakashi was up by one with Gai right behind him. Poor Genma was losing badly.
 
By the time the drunken fools had finished their last round of drinks and games Gai had won the large pot of cash. The green clad ninja drunkenly stumbled to his feet as he stashed his winnings into a conspicuously concealed pocket. Sakura had no idea that leotards had pockets.
 
Then she understood why they were never used. The wad of cash created a rather unsightly bulge in his uniform. Sakura's eyes tried not to bleed as she turned to the slurring man beside her.
 
“Kakashi, are you going to be ok to get home?”
 
Kakashi's usual droopy eye was glazed and so droopy that it looked like it was closed.
 
“Ah, Sssakura-chan!”
 
His silver head slumped to the side and onto her shoulder as he tried to pinch her cheek. His glazed eye crinkled into a smile. Sakura vaguely wondered how the man could drink so fast that she never noticed the slip of his mask even in his current inebriated state. Sakura soberly smirked down into his drunken features as she waved his pinching fingers away.
 
“Kakashi, I do believe you've had enough.”
 
Kakashi giggled like he sometimes did while reading a good part in his books. His voice was full of boyish laughter as he spoke.
 
“I can sssseeee up your nose Ssssakura-chan…”
 
Sakura rolled her eyes as she looked to Genma for help. She couldn't move from her seat since the drunken fool was still sitting beside her, but unfortunately Genma was only slightly less worse for wear.
 
The toothpick wielding ninja stumbled to his feet and latched onto Kakashi's arm and pulled. The two drunken fools fell backward on into a heap, but Sakura was just glad that she could exit the booth now.
 
As Sakura slid out to freedom she looked down at the two males. Genma was on his back while Kakashi was sprawled out on top of him. Genma ran a hand through the silvery locks near his chin and smiled a loving smile.
 
“You have really soft hair Tsunade…”
 
Sakura knew she had to do something before anything more embarrassing was to happen.
 
`Where's a camera when you need one?'
 
Sakura heaved her favorite Copy Ninja onto his wobbly feet as Genma promptly passed out on the floor. Sakura felt slightly bad for leaving him that way, but she was a mere kunoichi who already had her self over burdened with a drunken Kakashi.
 
Sakura did make sure to push the orally fixated shinobi with her foot onto his side incase of regurgitation during the night. She couldn't have an elite shinobi dying in such an unbecoming way, now could she?
 
`I can't believe I'm doing this…I can't believe the fool got himself so drunk!'
 
Sakura wrapped an arm around Kakashi's waist as she forced him to walk forward. His arms immediately wrapped around her shoulders as he leaned his head down onto the top of hers. Sakura had grown into a pretty decent looking woman, but she was still short compared to Hatake Kakashi.
 
“Kakashi? I'm taking you home to my place ok? You're too heavy for me to drag your ass across the village to yours.”
 
Sakura blew a tuft of silver hair out of her eyes as she heard the grown man's giggles.
 
“Sakura-chan said `ass'!”
 
Sakura started to get angry then as they passed a snoring Gai on the ground a few steps before the exit of bar.
 
“I can't believe you drank so much! What would you have done if I hadn't been there huh?”
 
Kakashi didn't answer instead he snuggled his head a little closer to her in the crook of her neck. Sakura blew out the hair that had found its way into her mouth as the cold wind bit at their skin. As they finally neared her house, Sakura thought about the other two passed out shinobi and Sakura frowned. She was glad she was there that night.
 
She didn't want Kakashi to be lying on the ground some where out in the cold and all alone. In a way she was glad she could do this for him. Sakura leaned the side of her head gently onto the top of Kakashi's as she smiled. Her voice carried on the blustering wind.
 
“I'm glad I was there.”
 
Kakashi's sleepy voice reached her ear as Sakura struggled to open her door with one hand against the wind.
 
“Me too Sssakura-chan. Me too.”
 
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
 
 
Sakura woke to the buzzing of her alarm clock. It was now 5am and time for her to get ready for her morning shift at the hospital. She knew she shouldn't have gone out last night but then she smiled as she thought about her good deed as she rolled out of bed.
 
Sakura hurriedly got dressed and headed downstairs to find Kakashi peacefully snoring away on her tan comfy couch. She had even given up a pillow and her favorite hand knitted blanket to the drunken man.
 
Sakura hurriedly made herself some breakfast and a little extra that morning. Before Sakura gathered her things to depart, she silently bent down in front of her sleeping guest and placed a hand on his forehead and another over the spot where his liver resided.
 
Her hands illuminated a bluish white color as she concentrated to not only sooth the inflamed cells in the frontal lobe but also to dissolve the alcohol contents that resided in the liver. He would only have a slight sense of nausea when he woke but a good breakfast and a glass of water would remedy that.
 
Sakura brushed a hand through his silvery locks as she got to her feet. She decided she liked the peaceful look on her elite friends face as he slept. Sakura hurriedly scribbled out a note that she left on her coffee table before finally heading out her door.
 
`Damn it! I could have looked under his mask!'
 
The sound of a slapped forehead carried on the frigid morning wind as a pink haired kunoichi jumped from roof top to roof top.
 
Sakura vowed that she wouldn't be so forgetful next time the opportunity presented itself.
 
`It's not like he would have noticed, he was dead to the world by the time I finally got all of him onto the couch….'
 
Sakura thought about the night prior as the white brick walls of the Hospital came into view. She couldn't help but smile even as the bitter winds lashed at her cheeks.
 
`It was kinda nice being needed.'
 
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
 
Kakashi's eye slowly fluttered open. He was staring into an unfamiliar tan material. That's when he turned over to find himself in an even more unfamiliar quaint looking home. His sleep riddled eye slowly came into focus on a picture resting over the nearby fireplace and that's when he realized.
 
It was a picture of Naruto hugging a disgruntled Sasuke during their celebration to honor their admittance into ANBU. Sakura had threatened the boys with bodily harm if they had not taken that picture together.
 
`Sakura…'
 
The events from the previous night slowly came back to the befuddled Copy Ninja. Flashes of the heated `competition' between himself, Gai and Genma swam across his mind's eye. Kakashi grimaced as he realized exactly how much money he had lost to his supposed rival.
 
`He's never going to let me live it down now…'
 
Then he remembered being half carried by his female friend down the street in the cold biting wind.
 
`She must have dragged me home with her.'
 
This realization made him smile. He turned to see a note with his name on it sitting on her coffee table. He lazily reached a still gloved hand out and snatched up the paper.
 
 
Dear Current Sad Excuse for a Ninja,
 
Breakfast is in the fridge. You can thank me later. Lock the door when you leave please.
Sakura
 
P.S You're heavier than you look!
 
 
Kakashi chucked as he made his way to her kitchen fully intent to take her up on her offer for breakfast. His stomach growled happily as he his eyes took in the sight of the good heaping of food on the wrapped plate.
 
The wheels in his head began to turn as he started in on his food. He would definitely have to thank her, but the question remained…how?
 
 
 
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
 
 
Author's note:
 
For now, I've decided to make this a whole lot lighter and fluffier. You know, “a what if Kakashi wasn't such a tormented soul” kind of fic. He'll have his set of hard decisions to make but don't expect the poor guy to break down and cry. XD
 
Yay for fluffyness! Oh and I truly love the whole Anko and Iruka thing! Yay for closet pervert Iruka! Wooohooo!
 
…coughs…ok
 
LOL no idea where I'm going with this but I'll think of something… LOL
 
Thank You for reading or at least stopping by!