Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Pieces Of Me ❯ Flicker ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Drabble Eight

Title: Flicker

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. He belongs solely to Masashi Kishimoto.

Summary: All he needs is a flicker of emotions to know that Sasuke still cares. [KakaSasu]

A/N: What is this? Like the third KakaSasu? Yay! Anyway, this is the eighth drabble. That many already? Whew! There is a lot more on the way, so sit tight and review!!! <3 Ja!

I can't really say when this idea came to me, or how, so...But I love this chapter and I loved writing it, so hopefully you guys love it, too.


~*Flicker*~



He shifted the bag on his back as he passed through the gates of Konoha, the sun rising just behind him. It was good to be back home, after four months of intensive training and missions. He wanted to give his aching feet a rest and enjoy his lover's company for the night. But first he had business with the Hokage. The woman had told him four months earlier to see her as soon as their cell got back. It was a four-man cell that consisted of Shiranui Genma, Namiashi Raidou, Gai, and Kakashi himself. Their mission had been to track an assassin and protect their client, Mitsukoshi. They had succeeded in the mission, and had even trained a little on the side. Now that they were back Kakashi wanted to get home, prop his feet up, and hope that his young lover still wanted him.

The mission debriefing had lasted for only a short while, and soon Kakashi found himself walking down the path leading to the Uchiha compound. The massive building was just as he remembered it, and he felt a deep sense of longing as he finally reached the front door and lifted his hand to knock. When there was no immediate answer, the man frowned as he took a step back. Sasuke must've been training.

Kakashi turned on his heel and headed back down the path, turning down the street that lead to his apartment. He wanted to drop off his stuff before he went to see the dark haired teen. They had been on bad terms when he had left four months ago, and he was afraid the teen wouldn't be as happy to see him as he hoping. He had missed the three most important events in their lives: Sasuke's eighteenth birthday, his own birthday, and their two-year anniversary. But Kakashi had made up for missing the teen's birthday and their anniversary. He had gone shopping while they were resting in a small town, and the gifts he bought were perfect for the young Chuunin. He hoped Sasuke would except them.

Kakashi strolled down the streets of Konoha-after dropping off his stuff first, of course-admiring the birds as they chirped above his head. It was such a nice day and he was hoping everything went well with a certain dark haired boy. He was just passing Ichiraku when a loud voice caught his attention.

"I'm telling you, Iruka-sensei, something is wrong with Sasuke-teme! He's pissier than usual!"

Another voice, but softer. "Have you asked him what was wrong?"

Intrigued, Kakashi strolled over to the restaurant, and ducked underneath the flaps. Neither man noticed the Jounin standing just behind them, hands stuffed in his pockets.

"Why the hell would I ask him anything?! He's about as open as a brick wall!"

"Maybe I could shed some light on Sasuke-kun's, uh, bad mood." The silver haired man suggested, as he took a seat next to his old student. Naruto nearly choked on his ramen and as he tried to sputter out the man's name. "By the way, where is the genius Chuunin?"

"Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto howled, as he clapped the man on his arm, grinning foxily. "When'd you get back? Today? So how was the mission?!"

"He's at the training grounds, Kakashi." Iruka finally answered, as he grabbed Naruto's arm and told him to calm down. The blond boy nodded happily, and went back to slurping up his ramen. The pony tailed Chuunin was looking at the older man with furrowed eyebrows. "Whatever mood Sasuke is in, I know it has to do with you."

"Do you?"

"Yes."

"Hmm." Kakashi stood up from the stool; said goodbye to the Iruka and Naruto then went in search for his favorite person. And he was exactly where Iruka said he would be. It was immediately clear that Sasuke was far angrier than Kakashi expected, if the look on the teen's face was any inkling. Pulling his mask down, the silver haired man took a few more steps into the training grounds.

The Uchiha hadn't noticed his sensei standing there, too caught up in trying to control his temper. He suffered four months of sleeping alone, worrying about the silver haired man every waking moment. And Sasuke had to celebrate their anniversary alone, with nothing but a picture to keep him company. And today was an important day as well, although the teen doubted Kakashi would even remember it. But in his mind, it was like it had happened yesterday.

"Sasuke." The dark haired teen jumped, startled, as his eyes swiveled around and landed on Kakashi. For a minute his eyes widened in recognition before they went cold, and he turned away like he hadn't seen the man at all. Kakashi sighed as he walked over to the Uchiha; hands still in his pockets. It was all he could do to keep himself from up and grabbing the boy. "I don't get a hello?" The silver haired man asked, stopping just behind Sasuke.

"I don't know, Kakashi. Didn’t I deserve a good bye?" The dark haired teen bit back, shrugging off the older man's hand as it moved to his shoulder. Sasuke looked at him from the corner of his eye, gauging the man's reaction. He looked slightly abashed, as he took a reluctant step back. "Four months Kakashi, and you didn't even tell me you were leaving. I spent our anniversary alone."

"I didn't think you'd let me say good bye. Not after the fight we had the night before."

Sasuke whirled on him; crimson red eyes locked on the silver haired Jounin, burning into shocked dark eyes. "It doesn't matter if we had a fight." He hissed through clenched teeth, hands clenching and unclenching at his sides. "You say good bye to someone you love, not leave them there to wonder where the hell you are!"

"Sasuke-"

"Good bye, Kakashi." The Uchiha shoved past the older man, anger coming off him in waves. The Jounin had expected him to be angry, but this was way beyond that point. And it terrified him to think that Sasuke might actually leave him. Was there a way to make it all better?

"Wait." Kakashi said, reaching out to snatch the teen by the wrist. Yes, this was the only way. All he needed was a flicker of emotion; something that wasn't anger, to know that Sasuke still cared-still loved him. And that small flicker was going to be the catalyst.

The silver haired man tugged the boy closer, arm going around his waist as he held tight to Sasuke's wrist. There was a split second where Sasuke looked surprised, but Kakashi missed it as he sealed his lips over the teen's, apologizing for the last four months with one kiss. The dark haired teen was stiff in his arms, his lips frozen and cold against the other man's. Another minute passed and Sasuke snapped out of his daze, growling and shoving Kakashi away with a show of muscles that the man didn't know he had.

"You can't just kiss me and expect everything to be better. That's not the way it works." Sasuke sighed heavily as he crossed his arms over his chest, and Kakashi noticed the dark circles under his eyes. He felt a sinking feeling in his stomach at the thought of those dark circles being his fault. "I need to think, Kakashi. And until I figure out what to do, I don't want to see you or-or talk to you. Okay?"

It stung, hearing those words come from Sasuke's mouth. He felt it in his chest, deep inside where it constricted his lungs and he couldn't breathe. He had spent four months away from the dark haired teen, and now Sasuke was putting this no-seeing-you-or-talking-to-me rule. It really hurt. But when he looked back up at the Uchiha, Sasuke was still watching him, and his eyes had softened. And there it was, a flicker of regret for his decision, hidden beneath all of the anger and hurt. That was the flicker Kakashi had been waiting for.

Before the teen could walk away, Kakashi pulled a small black box out of his pocket. "Sasuke." He said, tossing the box at the startled teen. Sasuke caught it effortlessly, and when he realized what it was, he stared at it like it was going to blow up any second.

"Kakashi, what's in here?" The teen asked. He looked up at the other man, realizing that Kakashi was no longer standing in front of him. Then the Jounin's voice sounded next to his ear, hands on the boy's hips, telling him to open it. Sasuke sighed and opened the box. Inside it was a small gold ring. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know what this meant. He felt his breath catch at the mere thought of what this meant.

"I know we have some problems, and you don't want to see me until you think, but this couldn't wait. I wanted to do it that night before I left, but we were fighting and..." Kakashi trailed off as he wrapped his arms around the teen's waist, not continuing because he knew Sasuke knew what he was trying to say. He never thought he could be so nervous, although he tried not to show it. He continued, "I'm getting old, Sasuke. Thirty-three years old and I'm choosing now to ask you this because I couldn't do it before. I don't want to lose you."

"You won't lose me."

"You don't know that. Either one of us could die at any given moment. That is what being a ninja means. We risk our lives for others and-" Sasuke placed his lips over the Jounin's, cutting off the man's words. Kakashi sighed into the kiss, felt that little black box press against his chest.

"Ask me the right way." Sasuke murmured, as he pulled away to stare up at Kakashi. He watched as the other man got down on one knee, and took his hand. How could he have thought this was any better? He wanted to laugh because Kakashi looked so damn nervous. The silver haired man never showed his emotions so easily before.

"Uchiha Sasuke, will you-"

"-Yes." Sasuke smirked, cutting off the man's words before he could even finish. Kakashi hugged him around the waist, nuzzling his cheek into the teen's shirt. He pulled back briefly to slide the ring on the teen's finger, then smiled when the boy swooped down to kiss him gently. "Do you know what today is, Kakashi?" Sasuke asked, as he pulled away to help the man to his feet.

Kakashi just smiled, "Of course I do, Sasuke-kun. I wouldn't forget the day I finally got to take you. I was hoping we could celebrate later tonight."

Sasuke's only answer was a rapid blush on pale cheeks.

XxX

"You're getting married?!" Naruto gaped, staring up at Kakashi like he had grown a third head. "It's about time! So, sensei, who's the lucky lady?" The teen wriggled his eyebrows suggestively, and Kakashi had to suppress the smirk at the death glare Sasuke was giving the boy. A week later found them sitting at Ichiraku with Naruto and Iruka, and Kakashi decided it was time to break the news to everyone.

"Naruto." Iruka warned, seeing the way Sasuke was glaring at him. He had suspected it, but wasn't sure until yesterday when Kakashi had come looking for Sasuke. How Naruto didn't pick up on it was beyond him. "I'm very happy that you found someone, Kakashi."

"Who is she? Is she cute? Come on, tell me!" Naruto begged, latching onto the man's vest like a leech. Kakashi smiled behind his mask as Sasuke's face turned red and he reached out to grab Naruto by his collar. "Hey, let go, Sasuke-teme! Kakashi-sensei is hiding something!"

"I'm getting married, too." Sasuke smirked, as the blond boy struggled in his hold. Naruto froze up and turned towards him, eyebrows furrowed. "I guess I'm the 'lucky lady'."

"You're getting married to Kakashi-sensei?!"

Kakashi couldn't hold in his laughter anymore.



~Owari~