Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Precious ❯ Precious Tests ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Precious Tests

By Silver Dragonfly

Naruto frowned as he stared at the stack of personal files the Godaime had laid before him. "I don't know if I'm right for this Baa-san. I mean I was dead last…"

"Trust me Naruto, you're more then ready for it. You've been Jounin officially for nearly two months and unofficially for longer than a year, and I think there's some graduates that could really use you." Tsunade responded as she began sifting through the pile and pulled out three specific files.

Naruto peered at the files. "You've GOT to be joking! Her parents aren't going to like that one bit."

"Her parents don't have a say in the matter. Graduate Team Five is yours to pass or fail-and Naruto, don't be late." Tsunade told him as she gathered up the rest of the files and put them away. "Now how about some dinner?"

Naruto smirked. "Ramen, your treat?"

"Stupid Gaki." She answered, but smiled.

*********

"Now those of you whose sensei's have not yet arrived will wait here until they do." Iruka instructed the remaining three teams.

"Oi oi! Iruka, sorry I'm late!" Naruto called as he entered the room, a big fox grin on his face. Iruka smiled.

"Ah. Team Five, this is your Jounin sensei."

"Yosh! Now lets say we go somewhere else and get to know each other?!" Naruto exclaimed brightly as he watched the trio through squinted eyes giving him odd looks. They looked at one another, and then seemed to collectively sigh and follow him out the door and towards his favorite ramen stand.

Before long the trio of new graduates and their Jounin sensei arrived and claimed a booth, Naruto sitting opposite them with his usual fox-like grin on his face. "So why don't you introduce yourselves, you know, name, age, what you like, what you don't like, hobbies, dreams."

The trio seemed unsure for a moment but the silence was soon broken by the boy on the far left. Naruto studied him as he fidgeted for a few moments causing his black and white braid to swing slightly. The kitten on his shoulder starred back at him. "My name is Nekomisu Tsume. I'm twelve years old. I like cats. I hate dogs. My hobbies aren't all that important, and I will become a better shinobi then anyone else in Inuzuka clan!"

Naruto blinked, then smirked. So Kiba's family has a rival clan. Interesting.

"Oh yeah, this is Miaka." The vibrant boy then added pointing to the half-grown kitten on his shoulder that yawned and pretended to ignore her introduction.

"Interesting, all right. White eyes, you next." Naruto stated looking towards the member of his team he already knew, however he was curious to see if she knew just who he was. At first the youngest member of the Hyuga head family said nothing, but then she sighed.

"Hyuga Hanabi, 12. I don't like idiots. I want to earn the approval of my family."

Naruto nodded. I see, of all the Hyuga I know she seems to have suffered the least-I wonder if Tsume noticed she glanced at him when she mentioned idiots. "Very good. Family is important. And how about you."

"Kiyomaru. 12. I like to be left alone. I don't like turtles. I enjoy being quiet."

Naruto arched an eyebrow, curious as to what the kid's problem with turtles was. "All right then, you guys are an interesting group. We meet again tomorrow morning at 5am sharp for your first mission at the 6th Oak training field."

"Hey, what about you?!" Tsume demanded, the other three nodding in agreement.

"Naruto scratched the back of his head. "Oh, yeah." He grinned and then met their gazes seriously, his blue eyes sparking with mischief. "I'm Uzumaki Naruto, next in line for Hokage. I like ramen and I hate having to wait for ramen to cook. Anything else?"

The three looked at him as if he had grown a second head.

"Good then. We meet tomorrow, and don't bother with breakfast-you'll get sick. Bring your gear for intensive training and don't be late. Now what do you say about some ramen. Oi Jii-san!!"

"Hai!"

**********

"… And so you see, this Survival Training Test is really to see if you guys actually have what it takes to be Genin... or if you should just give up on being shinobi all together. Pretty cool, ne?" Naruto asked brightly as he smiled at the trio; his squinted eyes taking note of the intense glares he was receiving. He coughed, his grin fading.

"Anyways, the three of you are to try and get these two bells from me before noon. Those that get a bell get lunch... the last will be tied to a pole and get to watch us eat." At this point Naruto smiled again. "But that doesn't mean that all three of you couldn't get tied to the poles. Those that get tied to the pole, fail and will go back to the Academy-Oh yeah, one more thing. Feel free to use any weapon and jutsu you know. Unless… you don't know any techniques at all…" That did it. Naruto smirked as he did a simple Kawamari to avoid the three sets of shuriken and kunai that flew at him. "Remember the goal is to get the bells." A Naruto clone stated he appeared behind them and then strolled away. Let them figure out what to make of that.

Naruto watched with amusement from his cozy spot up in a tree branch as the three glanced at each other and then separated, each of them heading out to try and spot him. He yawned, taking out a cup of instant ramen and used a jutsu he had perfected several years before to fill the cup with hot water and waited for the noodles to cook. Taking note as Kiyomaru took a position in a tree on the opposite side of the clearing, but then did nothing but sit there.

Hanabi stared at the blond haired Jounin and frowned. Just what the hell was he doing cooking instant ramen when they could attack him at any time? There had to be a trap... it was the only explanation. She formed a series of seals, and took a second look. Her jaw dropped. There were Naruto's everywhere-in the bushes, trees, on the forest floor, even in the middle of the clearing. She deactivated her Byakuugan and frowned, she saw nothing but branches, trees, and shrubs. How could there be so many... and all disguised like shrubbery… its not bunshin or genjutsu.

"See something interesting Hanabi-chan?" The dark haired girl squeaked as she whirled to spot her blond-haired sensei standing behind her with a stupid grin still on his face.

"You!" She shouted and then fell into the Gentle Fists taijutsu stance, her Byakuugan activated once more.

Naruto smile didn't falter as he mimicked her stance. All right Hanabi-chan, lets just see how skilled in your family taijutsu you are.

If the young Hyuga was surprised at his movements, she didn't show it but rather attacked. In moments the two stood a distance apart, Hanabi already panting slightly, two silver bells clutched in a fist. Naruto nodded as he left the Gentle Fist stance. "Not bad-but you've got a ways to go yet," And then both he and the bells in the girls hand vanished in a puff of jutsu smoke. Hanabi frowned.

A low whistle was heard from the tree line as Tsume stepped out. "No luck, eh?"

Hanabi glared at him and then turned to glare at the tree where she could see the blond Jounin sitting and now eating cup ramen. Had he really been sitting there the entire time?

"So good!" The blond suddenly called out and dropped down from the branch to approach them as he patted his stomach. "So, you ready for another try?"

Hanabi fell into a defensive stance wary. "You are an idiot." She stated flatly.

Naruto pouted, though she could have been calling her teammate the idiot. "Now is that any way to treat your sensei?"

"What kind of sensei sits in a tree eating ramen?" Tsume demanded as he too fell into a ready stance.

Naruto yawned and plucked the kitten from mid air as she made a leap for the bells. "Nice try fur ball." But you'll have to do better then that to catch a fox off guard… He stated as he held the kitten up to eye level by the scruff, and then tossed her towards her partner before she could think to scratch him.

Tsume growled as he caught Miaka and placed her on his shoulder. This was going to be tricky. He glanced towards Hanabi, and then towards the blond Jounin-and charged forward. "Tetsu Tsume no Jutsu!"

The sharp clang of clashing kunai, or in this case kunai and claw filled the clearing as Naruto blocked the suddenly long and sharp claws of Tsume. "Interesting-would hate to have to file those nails." Naruto said in amusement as he dodged another vicious swipe, and then leapt to the side as Hanabi came in from behind. Gentle Fist met Iron Claw and sent the attackers tumbling. Naruto shook his head as both girl and boy cradled what had to be painful injuries. He approached Hanabi first taking out a roll of clean bandage from his hip pouch as he took her bleeding hand, and then cleaned and wrapped it. "You have to be aware of not only your enemies' actions but your teammates as well or you'll end up injuring each other." He stated calmly as he finished with her hand and then moved to check Tsume's. He pulled out a small jar of ointment from his pouch and applied some of the cream to the red areas on the boy's hands-Tenketsu, that had been damaged slightly by the Gentle Fist attack.

Hanabi's eyes widened. "That's?!"

Naruto grinned at her over his shoulder and winked.

Just then a bell sounded and Naruto shook his head. "Well, that's that."

"That's what?"

Tsume asked confused.

"The three of you fail."

"WHAT?!" Tsume shouted.

Hanabi scowled.

"Are you sure?" Kiyomaru asked as he came out of hiding.

Naruto reached for the bells at his hip and then blinked in surprise as he came up with a twig. "Interesting… when I was in the tree right?"

Kiyomaru only smirked and tossed the two bells to his teammates, one to each. "You two did a good job distracting him. Thanks."

Naruto shook his head and laughed. "Congratulations. Team Five passes. As of today the three of you are officially Konoha Genin."

As if Naruto had said the magic words there was a poof of jutsu smoke and a large turtle bearing a familiar green clad Special Jounin appeared. "Cousin! Congratulations on your Graduation!!"

Kiyomaru edged away putting Naruto between him, the Turtle, and the man on the turtle's back.

"Gai… what are you doing here?" Naruto asked frowning. He never had really liked the over enthusiastic Special Jounin.

"I simply had to come and congratulate my cousin Kiyomaru on his success!"

Naruto's eyes widened and he turned to look at Kiyomaru. "He's your-"

"Cousin." Kiyomaru stated and sighed loudly. By this point both of Kiyomaru's teammates had followed his example and made sure Naruto was between them.

"Ah… I feel your pain kid." Naruto stated and then turned back to Gai. "Don't you have a rival to challenge or something?" Please go pester Kakashi. Please go pester Kakashi. Please go pester Kakashi.

"Ah the power of youth! You are right! Congratulations once again cousin!" And with those words the turtle began to head off into the sunset with his master proudly on his back.

"I hate turtles." Kiyomaru mumbled. His teammates nodded in sudden understanding.

Naruto shook his head, but turned to face his Genin team with a wide grin. "We meet tomorrow at 8am sharp for you first mission. Go Celebrate!" And with that he vanished in a poof of jutsu smoke.

"He's an idiot." Hanabi stated sadly.

"But he's strong." Tsume defended.

"It could be worse." Kiyomaru offered and the trio shuddered at the thought of his cousin.

"I think he's dating my sister…" Hanabi stated as they began to walk toward the village together and then shrugged.

**********

"Why didn't you WARN me that he was related to Gai?!" Naruto wailed as he sat across from Tsunade in her office.

"It wasn't important. Now answer my question Naruto." Tsunade responded massaging her temple. The blond haired Jounin had been giving her random information regarding the graduate team for the past half hour, none of it revealing whether or not they had passed.

"They passed. Kiyomaru used a plant type jutsu to take the bells and plant a decoy on me while he sat in a tree on the opposite side of the clearing while I was keeping an eye on the other two who were being much more direct and even tried a combined attack. He gave them the bells and told them thanks for distracting me."

Tsunade smiled.

And then wrote down the information in her own files.

Team 5

Genin: Nekomisu Tsume, Hyuga Hanabi, Kiyomaru

Jounin-sensei: Uzumaki Naruto.