Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Reflection ❯ Jobless no more ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Reflection
 
 
Chapter 2: Jobless no more
 
 
DISCLAIMERS: I do not own anything related to the anime or manga “Naruto”, other than my self created ones.
 
 
Recap:
 
Mynri had been grounded for 14 good days. All she needed now was a punching bag. If only she could see Hatake and give him a good bashing to vent her anger out. Her nanny has instructed her to buy some groceries to replenish the fridge. “Oh great, now I'm grounded. How am I going to pass my remaining days? Geez, I'll be bored to death,” she muttered to herself, as she paid for the groceries. She reproached Hatake repeatedly, cursing and swearing him. I swear, if I could bump into him here in the streets, I'll give him a good bashing. True enough, it was speak of the devil.
 
“Yo Raku-san!” a familiar voice called out, with a pat on her shoulder. She titled her head back, and smirked. Today is your unlucky day, meet your doom! “Don't do that, its bad luck.” Finished, she shoved his hand away. “Ma…superstitious, aren't you?” she chose to ignore him. “So, how have you been?” Heh, how have I been?! Good question! “I'm very good, thank you for you concern, all thanks to you.” She added sarcastically, as she walked down the streets, carrying the bulky basket. He curved his eye, “Care for a walk with me?” Her smirk plastered on her face slowly disappeared; she could sense the loneliness of longing for one's loved one to be reunited once again in his voice. It was the same feeling, the feeling she felt when he was gone. It has already been 9 years, but she still can't forget him. She nodded silently.
 
 
The journey there was silent, very silent. Even the sounds of dried leaves rustling could be heard. They were back to the place where they first met; the forest, the forbidden one. He took a step, as he landed on the puddle of water. But she stood outside, very reluctant to enter, not wanting to be grounded for the next month, or even the rest of her life. “Oh, come on,” he pleaded, tugging her arm, like a little kid requesting for a Popsicle, as he pulled her in. Today, he was very different; the way he talked the way he looked, and the way he reacted. “This guy is certainly strange,” she mumbled to herself as she acceded to his request.
 
“Ma…What did you say?” he finally spoke. The whole journey was silent, absolutely silent. A faint drop of water could even be heard. It just wasn't her, and him. Raku, or rather, Ranto, is a very bubbly girl, but her words carry lots of fire. She couldn't stand silence, as well as, loneliness.
 
“Oh, err, nothing. I was just wondering where you would bring me to.” “You'll see.” He winked as his hand reached out for his spiky mane. “Whoa! Look at that! It's so beautiful!” she exclaimed, eyes narrowing, as she pointed out to the sunset.
 
The sunset was indeed magnificent. It was like a yolk, freshly cracked open, as a layer of glowing mane outlines it. The birds flutter their wings and find their way home, as rays of sun lights shone through the cleavage of the leaves. The clouds slowly fade away as they blend in to the background. The foreground blended in nicely, with shades of orange. It was just like a piece of art; a painting hung in the museum, waiting for it to be bided. He turned to look at the direction of where she's pointing at. He felt a stroke of regret-ness tingling in him as he watched her. He made a mistake, a big one. He blamed heaven repeatedly. He had rather exchange his life for hers. He had been living a life of guilt ever since she was gone.
 
“Hey Hatake, why are you so quiet?” she questioned, not tolerating the cold silence. He smirked, but it was obvious that he forced its way up. It was back to square one again; silence. She found it very strange. First, this guy is harassing her, then bringing her to see the sunset, but keeps mum through out. Just what is he trying to do? She sat on the bench as Hatake did likewise. She wanted to say something to him, but she could put the words out, she didn't know what to say. But when she found the words, he was nowhere to be found. “Sigh. He's so unpredictable,” she mumbled to herself.
 
“Gosh, I'm late!” she groaned, running down the streets. Slowly and cautiously, she sneaked into the backyard. She knew her nanny would be in the living room watching her favorite program now, and pay her fullest attention to it. Successfully, she climbed over the white fence, landing on her butt. “Owwh!” she groaned, as she rubbed her butt. She then hopped into her room stealthily, but she's too clumsy. For an elite ninja, she is way too clumsy. But hey, didn't ninjas learn the teleporting jutsu?
 
She lost her grip, and her basket went crashing down. “Gosh, not now?!” she exclaimed, knowing very well that the noise made would be enough to alert her oblivious nanny. And with that, she used her chakra to pull it up, and eventually made her way back, quite successfully though.
 
Tip-toeing, she placed the basket on the kitchen table, as she took her leave. Just as she thought her plan would succeed, it failed, well actually not really. “Young lady, just what the hell are you trying to do?” the voice entered, as the image surfaced. The woman interrogated, arms folded. The young lad was busy searching for an answer, but she knows her nanny knew her inside out, and nothing she weaved out would matter. “Err...something cropped up, and I had to attend to it…” Knowing very well that such an excuse would not pass, she hurriedly gathered her feet and ran up the stairs to her room. “Oh, and I've got your favorite bun too,” she added, as she gets off scot free again. Zani watched her run up the stairs as she grabbed the brown paper bag. “Still the same old girl.” She muttered, as she went back to the television. “Darn, it already started!” she cursed, as she hurriedly sat down and glued her eyes to the television.
 
 
“Oh, what's wrong with you, Hatake Kakashi?!” he spoke as a palm glazed over his cheek, or rather cloth-covered cheek. “Why are you so obsessed? I thought you had forgotten her long ago?” he banged the mirror, as the falls of the little things could be heard in the mirror-box. “Why?! Wake up! She's not her!” he cried out, as the water came gushing out from the tap. He splashed the running water onto his face, as he silently and softly mopped. He had once found light in her. She was his everything, without her, he felt empty, very empty. He was happy whenever with he was with her. But it's such a pity; heaven always likes to make sport of people. He then slowly saunters up the stairs, as he soothed against the staircase railing. He remembered every second with her; it was nice. She would drop by and make him breakfast every morning, wake him up, and cheer him up.
 
He sat on his chair located at his balcony, it was a mini one. Only about two to three people are able to squeeze in there. And in there, laid two chairs, and a coffee table situated right in the middle. He had no time to décor his house, for he was a busy jounin, he was seldom home. He let out a sigh as he rested on the back of his chair. He then slipped his hand into his pocket and took out a book. He had just got addicted to it. Ever since his 18th birthday, he had never left his house without that book. He wanted to entertain himself. Or rather, he needed something to take his thoughts off her.
 
(Back in Mynri's house)
 
Heh. Luckily I was prepared. Easy does it. She shut her eyes as she beamed. She missed the fresh air. She always had doses of it before she went to bed. Her way of unwinding is to sniff the fresh air, without it, she would die. She then draws the creamy colored curtains, as she took a deep breath of the fresh air. Not quite far away, she spotted a familiar figure, something she detested; Hatake Kakashi. Eeks! Why him?! When did he move here? She wondered as she let her thoughts flew.
 
Just then, she was attacked by a paper plane. “Owwh!” she groaned, rubbing her nose. “Hmm…? What's this?” she muttered, as she unfolded the paper plane. It says: “Yo, Raku-san, why are you staring into space? Are you thinking of me?” she smirked, as she grabbed a pen and scribbled, “Oh, only stupid lame fools like you would do these stuff.” She paused, thinking of what to write next. She knew for sure that it must have been Hatake, for he was the only one who was given that fictitious name and he lived in the vicinity. She then squinted her eyes at his direction, as the faint figure waved. “Then what are you doing out there with a stupid orange book?” Hey, wait…It looks familiar, where have I seen it before? Casting aside her thoughts, she hurriedly folded the paper back she aimed it at his direction, as she returned to her Lala land.
 
(In Kakashi's balcony)
 
Oh, fast reply. He thought as he seized the flying plane aimed at his face deliberately. Placing his book on the table, he unfolds the paper. He grinned as he wrote, “Ma…Still choose not to admit that you are thinking of me. Never mind. Anyway, why are you still up so late? Still can't take your mind of me?” he leered, as he threw it back to her. Sipping on his glass of drink, he went back to his reading.
 
-Minutes later-
 
(Back in Mynri's house)
 
The paper plane was fast, it came dashing to her, as if it wanted her life. But luckily, she dodged it fast, if not, she would have been hit. Her eyes ran through his neat, yet hurried words as she penned. “Oh whatever. Who the hell would think of you?! Heh. I'm troubled about something.” She wondered, as it headed for Hatake's residence. It was like a game of darts, both hit the bull shot. It also impressed both parties with their good and accurate aiming skills.
 
(In Kakashi's balcony)
 
“Heh! I caught it.” Marking the page, he placed the book faced down on the table.
 
(Back in Mynri's house)
 
Mynri quit pinning about her brother, and placed her focus on the `paper plane fight'. The `paper plane fight' ruled her current thoughts now. She was keen on seeing Hatake's reply; she felt that this was fun. No one had ever communicated like this to her before, it was innovative. Finally! The plane's here! Having being exposed to Hatake's various ways of throwing planes, she seem to be having the hang of it. She could predict how he would aim it at her, and she would `counter attack' it. This is fun. She thought. She had not been in practice for quite some time, and this considered as a sort of training too. She then opened the paper that was folded countless times, depression lines obvious.
 
 
“Take care of yourself when I'm gone. Remember to lock the door when you leave, eat more vegetables and drink more water..,” she nagged, as she carried her bag. Luckily, the postman came in the nick of time to save her from the naggings. “Oh, there's a letter for you!” she said, as she threw the letter over to Mynri. “Okay, Bye!” she waved hurriedly, jumping for joy secretly. Her nanny would be heading for her hometown and would return on the day after tomorrow, which means, during her absence, no one would be supervising her. She was free to do what she wanted. But, not before she did what her nanny instructed her to do; coating the fence. It was also about time a coating would come in handy, for the fence was really off color. She sat on the couch as she read the letter. Her best friend is back from overseas and is returning on Tuesday. Which is tomorrow! Hm, but maybe not a bad thing. I'll have company and we'll party all night long! Heh. Lazily, she grabbed her keys and locked the door, heading for work. It was her first day reporting to work after all; she didn't want to be late. She had to give them a good impression.
 
She had just switched jobs. Her nanny didn't approve of her previous job, which she secretly kept it under wraps from her nanny, till she stumbled upon the truth one day. She told her that she was working in a restaurant, when it actually turns out to be a bar. Now, she had a new job, she's working in a bookstore. It was a new one, so it was a walk-in-interview, anyway, who would reject such a good worker? She had high qualifications, but she chose not to work in an office, or as a shinobi. She had rather led a simpler life.
 
“Konichiwa, are you Ranto Mynri?” the polite decrepit man questioned, as he popped out from the door she was about to open. “Hai.” She bowed courteously. “I'm the person in charge here. My name is Hanito Gwenoa.” He smiled, “Hurry come in, I need you to sort these out, and shelve those books over there..,” he instructed, pointing to the crate of stacked books.
 
Oh well, what a day. Books, books, books! Arghh! She snapped out of it as the pile of books fell for the ground. She had always hated books. She hated all the longwinded and thick books, back in her school, she had to memorize long formulas, and laws. She had always thought that these were like a taboo to her, and that she would ever face such books, in fact many, the whole day, and the rest of the month; depending on how long she could struggle with her current job. She could never believe that one fine day; she would actually work in a book store, it was classified as the `shall-not-be' part. She sighed pitifully as she picked them up, one by one. She was indeed busy; there are only three of them, Hanito Gwenoa, the boss, and another one, who haven't arrived yet. Usually, there would be two on duty, while the other gets a day off, but it seems like the other's lucky to get his first day off.
 
“Poof!”
 
“Hi!” he announced his appearance as he stood behind her. Without taking her eyes off the books, she questioned, “What are you doing here?” “Is there any law that states I, Hatake Kakashi, the infamous Copy Ninja, who took the chuunin exam at 6, am not allowed here? Besides, I'm buying a book,” he boasted, much to her annoyance. “Oh, when would you ever get off my back?” she uttered, as she turned to the crate of books and started shelving on the other shelve again. He then singled out a book from the neatly packed rows. “I'm working here! Don't disturb me! I don't want to be fired on my first day of work, it ruins my reputation,” she bawled, softly, so as not to alert the boss. He chuckled, slightly amused at her facial expression. She paused, wondering what the big joke is about. “What's so funny, you baka act-cooler?!” she said, furious. “Oh, nothing. It's just that…” he halted briefly, “Has anyone told you that you look cute when you are angry?” he chortled, as he browsed the books.
 
(Hours later)
 
“Ma…its lunch time, doesn't your boss let you go or something for a lunch break?” She smirked, as she shoved him away. Reaching out for the sign plate, she flipped it, as she walked out of the store, leaving Hatake inside. “Matte!” he hollered as he chased after her, just like the first time they met. She completely ignored him, as she continued her silent walking.
 
“Where are you going?” Turning back, she retorted sarcastically, “To bang the wall, to kill myself.” “Hah, then I'll recommend the wall at Hokage-sama's office. It's sturdy and strong,” he suggested. “Pft.”
 
 
She sat on the flight of steps before the door, burrowing her face in her bag that she placed on her lap, as she stroked her hair. She had waited for hours in the chilling wind. The gust of wind threw her hair in a cluttered state, as she rubbed her bare shoulders, praying hard that what she thought would never come true. The rustling of leaves distorted her thoughts of it as a vague image surfaced. Since small, she had a phobia; she dared not stay in the darks alone, especially when it's so quiet; just like now.
 
She dared not open her squinted slit eyes; for she would see something she didn't want to. She muttered some words, praying hard that that thing would leave her alone. And soon, she felt the presence weaken. “Gosh, thank god!” she muttered under her breath as she slowly opened her eyes.
 
 
Okay, decided to stop here. Hmm, really tired now. Heh, got the name of this chapter from a song by Rob Thomas; lonely no more. Hah. Peace.