Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Respect & Understanding ❯ Valiant Hope & Crushing Despair! ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.
 
 
Chapter 16: Valiant Hope & Crushing Despair!
 
A pink haired kunoichi stood in the middle of the wreckage. Blood poured like molasses from the kunai embedded in the lower right hand side of her back. The exertion of the run had dislodged the shuriken sunken in her thigh.
 
It now clattered to the ruble covered ground as her tear soaked eyes scanned the area.
 
Her black and white uniform had a layer of blood and grim covering it. It was slashed in so many places it looked as though she had lost more then a few rounds against Sasaki's sword.
 
The powerful extended use of her muscle freezing jutsu left her body tired and almost at its limit.
 
The terrain was treacherous; she had sprained her right ankle and skinned both knees and shins upon trying to maneuver over the debris of the area. This was largely the reason why the lone ninja was left in relative safety now that she had reached the center of the destruction.
 
The wind had seemed to pick up as she stood there hobbling in a circle straining her eyes, hoping beyond hope for just the smallest bit of silver hair or a black and white uniform. Her frustration and desperation was reaching its peak.
 
Her befuddled mind was clogged with images of things she desperately tried to push away, as she scanned the area. Everywhere she looked her mind conjured up illusions of bloodied silver mixed between the crumbled stones that only disappeared as she got closer.
 
Everywhere she looked produced the same illusions.
 
That is …until she caught a glimpse of a familiar pair of wrapped legs and sandaled feet sticking out from under a huge slab of crumbled wall. The stubborn image refused to disappear as she stood there.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
The two epic battles outside the walls of Konohagakure had destroyed half of the forestry outside the village already.
 
Both Tsunade and her summons already sported wounds as well as her opponent and his clattering insect.
 
Raiu was getting tired of their stalemate and ordered his creature into yet another frontal assault.
 
As the huge spider's legs and pincers surrounded the giant slug Tsunade's voice pierced the air.
 
“Now Katsuyu!”
 
The Hokage's summons began to dissolve and break apart into tinnier replicas of its self as Tsunade jumped down to safety.
 
“Kumo Nento!” (Spider Sticking Spit)
 
The spider emitted a stream of webbing from its mouth. The sticky whiteness coated the blonde bombshell's skin. With a flick of the spider's head her body went sailing through the air. The spider's fangs cut the webbing and the Godaime's body crashed to the forest floor.
 
Raiu smirked proudly from his spot atop his insects head and looked down onto his captured prey. His voice sounded triumphant.
 
“It looks like the leader of Leaf isn't as legendary as they say. What's the matter old woman, age finally creep up on you? Those are Chakra infused, there's no way you can escape and not even your monstrous strength can save you now.”
 
Tsunade felt a vein throb painfully in her temple. The `O' word was forbidden in her presence and she had always punished those who broke the unspoken rule. Naruto could attest to that.
 
But worse then being called old she hated to be underestimated and that was exactly what Raiu of Sound was doing to her as she laid there caught in a cocoon of sticky webbing on the hard ground.
 
“Listen here you snot nosed brat, come on down here if you're so sure!”
 
`That's it, bait the ignorant fool…'
 
The wind master sneered.
 
“I don't think so you old hag. I can finish you off from up here. I didn't get to where I am without being cautious.”
 
Rai thrust his hand down to his prey as he shouted out a command to the beast beneath him.
 
“Kumo Hindoto!” (Spider Pincer Attack)
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxx
 
Sakura froze as the wind whipped her pink tresses into her blood and dust covered face. Her stomach bottomed out as she stared at the sight.
 
`Oh god…no….'
 
Wasn't this what she had come here to find, some clue pointing to either of his existence or…his death?
 
Now that she stood there staring at the undeniable proof she turned her head to the side hoping the sight would disappear if she closed her eyes long enough.
 
Sakura squeezed her eyes tightly together in a vain attempt to stench the flow of water running down her tear streaked cheeks. Sakura wrapped her arms around herself in a vain attempt at self comfort. Her nails dug painfully into her biceps, drawing yet more blood to cover her body.
 
The self inflicted pain wasn't enough to overshadow the emotional gut wrenching pain welling up inside. With her eyes still forcefully shut Sakura bit back an aching sob. Her teeth sank deeply into her bottom lip, but Sakura could no more feel it than she could her nails.
 
No matter how much she willed the image to blur and disappear it remained. This was the cold hard truth; the sight stayed just the same as she turned her head back to the scene.
 
All false hope she had been harboring disappeared in that instant. This was real. This was all too horribly real.
 
No matter how much she wanted to stay away, another part of her, a bigger part of her wanted to be by his side even in this state. A defeated whimper carried on the wind as she forced her body forward.
 
With agonizingly slow hobbled painful steps, Sakura made her way over to the remains of the man she had willingly given herself to the night prior.
 
This was the man she had known since she was but a little girl; he had been her teacher, her protector, and her hero. Now as Sakura stood there choking back the sobs that threatened to overtake her, Hatake Kakashi meant so much more.
 
This was the very man that she had given her heart to and left the fate of their future together in his hands.
 
Beneath this stony grave lay the hands that had held her passionately, the eyes that had looked deep within her soul to her very core tenderly, the lips that had covered her own so very softly.
 
Here lay the Famous Hatake Kakashi cut down in his prime, not by enemy hands but by his own doing. Sakura was more than positive that his death had saved many lives, but even that did nothing to hinder the pain of loss, of being left alone… again.
 
Sakura now stood over the slab of rock. Her nails dug deeper into the skin of her arms. Blood dripped between her fingers as she tilted her head back and let out a sorrowful wail.
 
Her knees buckled beneath her scrapped knees met the ground in a thump. Sakura's pain entrenched mind didn't even register the sharp jagged stones digging into her shins.
 
The only thing that mattered to her right now was the appalling realization that the man she had come to respect, understand, and love had slipped through her fingers never to return the love she so willingly gave.
 
Never would those hands touch her in such a way…for they were now bleeding, cold, and crushed. Never would his lips form the words her heart so desperately needed to hear…they were now mangled and torn. Never would she be able to look upon the face she had just recently discovered…it was now disfigured and unrecognizable.
 
Trails of bloodied fingerprints were left on the surface of the rock before her, as she felt its hard roughness.
 
A wild urge formed in the pit of her stomach as she felt its rigidness. Slowly the impulse to pick up and castaway the offending slab that had crushed her love and her heart balled itself in her guts and pushed its way to her shaking fingers.
 
Crushed, mangled, and deformed be damned. She had to see him, she had to look upon the man that she now realized she would have died for if given the chance.
 
Sakura numbly pushed herself to her feet. Flesh was scrapped from her already bloodied fingertips as she desperately slid them between rock and earth.
 
`I have to see you…'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxx
 
Tsunade's bound hands glowed blue as she concentrated chakra to the palms of her hands and the ends of her fingers.
 
Her chakra like scalpels on the edges of her red painted nails cut through her binds as the spiders snapping mouth got ever closer. Even with her efforts she knew she wasn't going to make it in time.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
 
Sakura's tired and sore muscles stretched and constricted as she lifted the huge chunk of wall a few meters off the ground.
 
The sounds of the battle around her were drowned out by the constant, drip, drip of hot tears hitting the surface of the item she currently bent over. With eyes shut, Sakura raggedly sucked in a huge breath and started her silent countdown.
 
`5…'
 
“Why did you have to leave me…?”
 
`4…'
 
“Didn't you want to be with me?”
 
`3…'
 
“Why is my love never enough?”
 
`2…'
 
“Maybe if I would have told you…”
 
`1…'
 
“…that I …”
 
In the next instant the raged and cracked stone went flying into the air. Sakura's eyes didn't open until she heard the heavy stone break into pieces some distance away.
 
“I love y-y…”
 
As one set of lashes opened slowly and an emerald eye was visible, Sakura's words left her.
 
An angry anguished scream filled the air as her shaking knees buckled yet again.
 
“Damn you Kami! Why do you do this to me! Why!”
 
Sakura pounded her blood and dirt covered fists into the gravel covered ground. Sakura's hair fell over her face obscuring her features as her body shook and her screams betrayed her beaten and defenseless state.
 
The conflicting emotions within her were enough to make bile rise to her throat. Sakura forced the urge down as she pathetically hunched there on the ground next to the gruesome sight.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
“Your finished bitch!”
 
“Not quit asshole!”
 
By this time Katsuyu had reformed behind the spider without the leader of Sound noticing, he was too caught up in his gloating.
 
“Zesshi Nensan!” (Tongue Tooth Sticky Acid)
 
Greenish liquid splashed onto the hind end of Raiu's summons. The spider reared up and let out a loud ear piecing shriek as the sticky substance coating its hind quarters. Its back side sizzled and bubbled.
 
The spider continued to shriek in pain while its legs floundered around. Tsunade used this time to make her escape. Half her body was still covered in sticky fibers as she stood her ground.
 
“Again Katsuyu!”
 
The huge slug repeated its move and the spider let out one final shriek before it disappeared in a puff of smoke back to lick its wounds in another world. Raiu fell to the ground a feet away from Tsunade.
 
“Looks like it's just you and me now, care to test your fate with an old woman?”
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
The body next to Sakura was indeed mangled and crushed. It was a horrid scene, one that would haunt her till her dying days.
 
It instilled a deep sorrow within her soul, but it also stirred up many other emotions. Many she was ashamed to be feeling while looking down upon the body before her.
 
Traitorous feelings of hope, relief, and thankfulness swirled within her. Before her was not the body of the man she loved. The light brown lifeless eyes of one Akiko Yajima stared up into the orange-purple vastness of the evening sky.
 
Hollow laughter spilled from her chapped and bloodied lips. Her laughter soon turned to the sort that had no rational thinking behind it. It was erratic and dripped with something close to insanity.
 
Sakura stood there laughing into the four winds as she once again hobbled off in search of her lover, Hatake Kakashi.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
“I can finish you myself! Metal blades can be blocked but blades of the wind cannot! Take this…”
 
Raiu formed a series of rapid seals as Tsunade firmly stood her ground. She knew what was coming and she knew he was right, she was in trouble.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
This time Sakura was sure she had found the right man. Kakashi's silver hair was painted white with the dust from the shattered stone walls.
 
His clothes were torn and covered with blood, both his and his many enemies. Crimson dripped from the corner of his mouth. Pieces of the building covered his legs and his right arm. Red liquid flowed around the edged of a kunai protruding from his stomach and shoulder.
 
Neither of Kakashi's eyes were open and she couldn't feel his familiar chakra signature as she stood there taking in the sight.
 
What little hope she had after realizing that he was still out there somewhere now shattered. This was the real deal no question about it.
 
All her defenses had already crumbled when she had first thought she had found him. There was no holding back for her now. She couldn't even if she had attempted to try.
 
Seeing him laying there and knowing without a doubt that it was him broke her. Pieces of her heart fell like the blood sliding down her arms from her nail puncture wounds.
 
Pitiful moans and sobs were emitted from her body as she stumbled to his side. A loose pile of stones caught her foot and she fell to her hands and knees. Instead of attempting to right herself, she continued to crawl forward.
 
When she finally reached Kakashi's side, she fearfully reached a shaky hand out to his neck.
 
Two fingers shakily pressed upon his throat. Sakura held her breath as she tried to separate her own hammering heartbeat from what she was trying to feel for.
 
Sakura blinked and more tears fell from her eyes, but a relieved choked sound came from her throat. She lowered her cheek to his blood soaked vest even as she kept her fingers in place. It was there. Kakashi had a pulse, it was very faint but it was there and that's all that matter to her.
 
Finally Kami was offering her something she could work with, this was her field, her forte. Sakura's head rose from the silver haired ninja's chest and she savagely wiped her tears away with the back of her gloved hand.
 
She ran a hand through his soft red and white stained hair and then down his masked covered face before rapidly getting to her feet.
 
Her will was fortified as she tore the kunai from her back and her strength returned as she spoke.
 
`I won't let you …Kakashi, I won't let you die.'
 
With new resolve and what felt like a second wind, Sakura almost jumped up from her place on the ground and started with the huge slab of stone crushing his legs. Sakura's tired muscles burned with the exertion. She felt her left bicep tear, close to ripping but she didn't care.
 
`I won't let you leave me…'
 
The thrown slab of stone disintegrated into pieces over her shoulder as she moved to the next piece. Sweat poured off her face as she demonstrated her monstrous strength yet again.
 
“You're not going anywhere I can't follow!”
 
This piece too soon flew through the air to break into little pieces a good distance away.
 
Sakura hastily slammed her knees into the ground beside him and placed her hands around the tip of the kunai sticking out of his stomach. Sakura took in a shaky breath as the tears began to already dry on her face. She was a medic ninja and a damn good one. She knew which wound was the most life threatening to him.
 
Her chakra reserves were dangerously low, but she knew what she had to do and she was more than willing to give this man every last drop to safe his life. Her voice was clear and steady as she gripped the metal end of the object impaling his stomach.
 
“This time I'm going to do the saving.”
 
`3'
 
`2'
 
`1'
 
As air was sucked into Sakura's lungs the piece of weapon was pulled forcibly from his gullet. Sakura quickly tossed the bloodied weapon to the side. Metal vaguely clanged in the back ground as her hands flew to stench the flow of blood.
 
All thought, all doubt seeped from her body as she concentrated with every fiber of being to center her chakra to the palms of her hands. Sakura's eyes closed as her hands seemed to glow a light blue hue.
 
`You've always risked your life for me…it's only fair that I risk mine…'
 
Sakura could feel her energy, her very life force slowly leaving her body through the opening created in the palms of her hands. It was a sensation that always sent small shivers down the length of her spine.
 
Sakura quickly wiped her brow before withdrawing the other weapon sunk into his shoulder. Her glowing hands moved over the hole seeping his life blood and his tissue began to reform under her healing hand.
 
Sakura's vision was becoming blurry as her hands next moved over Kakashi's skull. Her chakra stretched out and she could feel the fracture on the right side of his head. Her resolve faltered just the slightest bit at this new found injury.
 
She could feel herself becoming weaker as the seconds ticked by and she knew her efforts were only the extent of emergency healing. He would still need to be hospitalized for a complete set of treatment, but she would give it her all if he had a better chance of survival.
 
Sakura placed one palm on top of the other and shut her eyes once again in concentration as she started what little healing she could give him.
 
She poured her chakra, her life force, her belief, her faith, her love into the man she would surely die for. The light blue hue around her glowing hands quickly pulsated to a brilliant white.
 
The light from her healing hands illuminated the area around both her and Kakashi's fallen body.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
“Kaza no Yaiba!” (Blade of Wind)
 
Thrashing wind formed around Raiu making his hair whip in his face as he thrust both hands forward.
 
You couldn't dodge what you couldn't see and you couldn't dodge what surrounded you on all sides.
 
Tsunade crossed her arms in front of her as the full brunt of the attack assaulted her clothes and flesh.
 
The force of the erratic air cut deeply first into her thigh, then the other, then her right arm and then her left. Soon the wind had picked up so much so that it felt as though she was being slashed by a hundred swords at once.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A wry smile appeared on Sakura's illuminated face as the glow from her hands began to dull. The fading light slowly took with it the life of the owner.
 
Sakura opened her eyes to gaze one last time at the masked face she loved. Masked, uncovered it didn't matter. She loved the man behind it. A single tear slipped past her lashes and created another clean streak on her dirt and blood covered cheek.
 
As her world began to darken, as her life slowly dwindled away she had but one wish and one thought. She wished that he would open his eyes, so she would know her sacrifice would not be in vain. Her one thought was this….
 
`I feel as if I understand Obito a little more now...he sacrificed himself so that you could live…not for you to wallow in his absence…because he cared about you…and I…'
 
Sakura's hands slumped to his bloodied vest, where the gaping hole had once been. Her voice sounded groggily innocent, like sleep simply beckoned her. If only it were that simple.
 
Sakura gave his still form a slow sad smile as a single tear made its way over the curve of her cheek.
 
“…I …was…kidding… myself…”
 
Two more tears followed the first.
 
“..I'd…have… never…been...able...to…”
 
“…move…on…after…last …night.”
 
A familiar voice whispered in her ear like a gentle comforting breeze.
 
`Live a life of no regrets.'
 
A vision of orange swam in front of her blurry distorted vision.
 
`…I'll miss you too Naruto. Watch over him for me…'
 
The darkness encroached on her eyes, heart, and mind as she spoke her last words. She only wished that he could hear them.
 
“I…. love…you…Kakashi.”
 
As her eyes fluttered shut she caught the one sight that made her slowly fading heart soar, a pair of mismatched eyes.
 
He was awake, he was alive and he had heard her.
 
Sakura's body fell to a heap on top of his bruised, scrapped, and bloodied own.
 
She had said her last words, thought her last thoughts and breathed her last breath.
 
At the ripe age of 24, Haruno Sakura knew no more.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Tsunade's screams were drowned out from the roar of the winds around her.
 
Raiu's hands shook out in front of him. This was his final move. As long as his outstretched hands kept the seal Tsunade's torture would continue.
 
Raiu would hold the leader of the Hidden Village of the Leaf contained within his wind prison until her life finally left her body.
 
Torn pieces of Tsunade's clothes, slashed strands of her hair, and not to mention droplets of her blood was caught in the swirling tornado around her.
 
Tsunade tried to push forward and out of the gales of wind but her footing slid back in the dirt and grass.
 
`I will not let this filthy vagrant destroy this village! This is my home and these are my people…!'
 
“I…”
 
Tsunade dug her blood covered sandals into the ground and leaned with all her might into the cutting winds.
 
“...am…”
 
Raiu's eyes went wide with alarm as he watched the events unfold before his very eyes. No one had survived his final attack…no one.
 
“…the…”
 
Tsunade's muscles rippled and flexed painfully as she strained against the sharp invisible barrier. Her now short and uneven locks blew against her scratched and bloodied face. Blood flowed freely from thousands of cuts all over her body. A lesser human would have fallen already but Tsunade, the woman who could never refuse a bet just happened to be…
 
“Hokage!”
 
Tsunade's burst of strength forced her bloodied body through the invisible cutting barrier. She charged the startled Sound Leader like a raging bull.
 
Her fist hit the man's sternum cracking it on impact. The broken bones pierced through the organs beneath making Raiu cough up blood onto Tsunade's already soaked back.
 
The enraged Godaime's furious charge didn't stop until she had slammed his body through the trunks of three trees.
 
By the time Raiu had been forced through the second, he was already dead.
 
As Tsunade removed her hand from the indent in the corpse's body the sky darkened over head. As she stood there desperately panting for breath, the rain began to fall.
 
The massive blood loss took away her will to stand in that moment. She fell to her knees and her hands fell to the slowly moistening ground.
 
A deep calm washed over her as the stinging pain was numbed by the cold waters of the rain.
 
It was as though Kami was trying to ease her wounds and wash away her pain…and her sin.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxx
 
Usually when some one is brought back from the brink of death, the first thing they do is thank Kami that they are alive. This was not the case for Hatake Kakashi.
 
The drops of rain were pure torture as they plip-plopped onto his lids and onto the ground beneath him. Pain kept Kakashi from turning his head or shielding his eyes with his hand.
 
His right arm and left leg were crushed. His entire body hurt so bad that bile rose in his throat and the world swam in front of his eyes if he tried to move a single muscle.
 
To top it all off the woman he loved lay lifeless upon his stationary body. He couldn't even lift a hand to the cheek that rested on his steadily soaking chest.
 
Kakashi felt pathetic as he laid there under the darkened sky that seemed to suit his situation perfectly. Kakashi eyes began to hurt; they had been straining to look down his chin toward his chest for what felt like forever. Regardless he would not break his gaze.
 
She looked like a sleeping angel simply laying down for a rest, his angel. Her features were so peaceful and serene, a look that could invoke false hope, but Kakashi knew the truth.
 
`She gave herself to save me…she had said she loved me…again…and I…'
 
As he continued to stare the last pieces of the wall around his heart crumbled the way the walls of the Jounin HQ had.
 
Just like Obito, Sakura was taken from him just as he had realized how much she had meant to him. Like he had feared, the pain of loss embraced him like an old friend, welcoming Kakashi back into its dark folds.
 
It was said that time heals all wounds, but the holes left in Kakashi's heart from the deaths of Obito, Rin, his sensei, and even his father and Sasuke were still waiting to be mended.
 
What little remained of his heart had disappeared the moment the woman he had come to love took her last breath.
 
Kakashi had been afraid to let Sakura into his heart for this very reason. He had done everything he could to keep his distance, but he had been doomed from the start.
 
Sakura had grown into a strong willed young woman who took what she wanted and surprisingly what she wanted had been him.
 
Like Obito, Kakashi and Sakura only had one night of understanding. In that one night that they shared together he had actually thanked the gods that he was alive. It was something he thought he would never think gain.
 
Right now he cursed his very existence.
 
This pain was different than the type inflicted by a weapon, those he could handle. This was a raw ache that burned through out his entire body and left its imprint on his very soul.
 
Morbidly Kakashi was thankful for his complete incapacitation for if he could move at least one arm Sakura's death would be in vain, but then again at least he would be with them, with her.
 
Kakashi pushed those thoughts brought on by utter despair to the darkest recesses of his mind.
 
`She wouldn't want that…'
 
His dark thoughts helped him do one thing though as he laid there under the steady downpour, mesmerized by the droplets of rain now trailing down her pale features. He now understood the depths of his feelings for the woman he so desperately wanted to hold, even in her lifeless state.
 
`I'd do anything to have her open those beautiful green eyes if only for a second. Just so I could tell her that there's not a man on this earth who loves her more than I do. If only I could have told her…'
 
Regret filled the hollowed out space in his chest, a new regret to add to the old ones already swimming within him, but this regret was the most painful of all. She had said it twice and he….
 
Kakashi was thankful for the rain in that moment. The tightness in his chest became unbearable as his brows knitted together.
 
A stream of hot water flowed from the corner of his dark eye down to his temple and into his hair. The sharingan stayed relatively dry except for the rain due to the damage done so many years ago due to the transplantation.
 
`I will not dishonor your death by wishing for my own, but…I can't help wishing you were here instead of me…I don't deserve a second chance Sakura. I couldn't even tell you what was in my broken heart…'
 
Kakashi fought against the pain and nausea as his fingers crawled in the dirt toward the pale white hand by his side. His eyes finally broke contact with Sakura's features. They looked down to his side where his hand rested on her own.
 
It was ice cold.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
 
Naruto exhaustively slumped down next to the older woman's body on top of Gama Bunta's head. The gruff voice of the boss frog bellowed over the walls of the hidden village.
 
“You're leaders have been dealt with and both have perished! Flee this village now if you value your lives!”
 
The ground had shaken with the frogs spoken words and next it trembled as chaos broke out among the ranks of Sound, Cloud and the hired mercenaries.
 
The decision was easy for the last mentioned group for their employers were now deceased and they were now working for free. They were the first to flee.
 
The huge frog's words sparked the fires in each of the remaining Leaf shinobis' heart.
 
Their Hokage and the man next in line to be their leader had won against the two heads of the opposing villages. Leaf's two strongest shinobi didn't disappoint yet again.
 
The remaining Leaf defender's renewed efforts helped the left over Sound and Cloud ninja to make their decision. Weapons were discarded and streets were emptied as the enemy fled.
 
Naruto's rain obscured gaze looked down upon the fleeing men and women leaving his precious village. When his gaze next traced over the devastation left behind in the wake of this horrible war, he only saw one thing…victory.
 
The hidden village of the Leaf, his home survived and that's all that mattered.
 
His gaze next went down to the battered and bloody woman next to him and his smile faltered slightly. Tsunade smiled back as she spoke.
 
“You did good kid. I need your strength more than ever now that each day brings me all that much closer to death…”
 
Naruto's smile vanished and was replaced with a scowl as he looked away.
 
“You're not old.”
 
Tsunade's face showed her surprise and her voice was playful as she spoke.
 
“Oh really now…”
 
Naruto turned back to her, this time with that youthful smile she secretly loved. How it reminded her of another young man she had known.
 
“An old woman couldn't have kicked Raiu's ass the way you did…but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop calling you baa-chan….baa-chan.”
 
It was Tsunade's turn to scowl.
 
“Well, why don't you get this old woman out of the rain then? ”
 
Naruto stood and gave her a thumbs up.
 
“Yes Mam!”
 
Tsunade simply rolled her eyes at the young man she had come to love like a little brother.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
 
As the shouts and cheers started Raidou turned around to give his best friend a happy punch in the arm. The scarred faced man's fist stopped in mid air as his eyes took in the sight a good distance over Genma's shoulder.
 
Sakura's still form lay hunched over an equally motionless form of their seventh member. His shocked words slipped from his lips quietly.
 
“Fuck…”
 
Genma quickly turned and followed his friends gaze.
 
“Damn it!”
 
His admission caught the attention of the others around him. Akamaru's ears perked up and turned toward the scene as well. He let out a sorrowful howl and Kiba turned to his companion.
 
“Why the so sad Akamaru, we just finished kicking their asses all over the place.”
 
His keen eyes followed his canine friend's and his face became grim. His clawed hand gripped the shredded uniform of his sister beside him. His usual loud voice was low and grave.
 
“Sis, come on, follow me.”
 
Hana didn't even ask. She knew her brother well and when he spoke like that, she knew it was something important.
 
Even though things didn't work out between Sakura and himself, the pink haired kunoichi still held a special place in his heart. He had been too caught up in the heat of battle to even notice she had made it to this part of the village.
 
He cursed his blindness as they followed shortly behind Genma and the rest of his troop. Sasaki followed at a slower pace inwardly fighting with herself if she should approach or not. Kiba only hoped it wasn't too late as they neared.
 
Anko was the first to realize Kakashi's eyes were open and that life was still aglow behind them.
 
“Holy shit! You're alive!”
 
Asuma's eyes went wide as he too realized it.
 
“You are one tough son of a bitch, do you know that Kakashi?”
 
Tears welled in Sasaki's eyes as she choked out a single word.
 
“Captain…”
 
As Genma stood over his friend his eye line traveled the silver haired man's who still hadn't acknowledged their presence. He took in the joined hands and smiled a toothy smile with his trademark senbon in between his pearly whites. Kurenai's tired voice spoke up from beside him.
 
“Thank God.”
 
Gai quickly turned his back on the scene with a river of tears flowing freely from his bushy eyes with his lips quivering; both his shaking fists were raised in front of him.
 
“Kami truly smiles down upon me this day! My eternal rival has returned! Kakashi!”
 
Kiba called from behind them as Genma's group and Sasaki circled around the two on the ground.
 
“Hey, how's Sakura?”
 
Raidou was already bending over her neck to check her pulse. When his fingers connected with her cold skin, the smile he had worn due to his friend being alive vanished.
 
Genma heard Sasaki's quiet voice behind him.
 
“Oh no…”
 
Kiba's heart thumped loudly in his chest at the lack of response and the looks of horror forming on the other's faces. He roughly grabbed his sister's arm and half dragged her behind him toward the scene. Akamaru bounded after them.
 
“Hey I asked you a question!”
 
Raidou dropped his head as he continued to crouch next to Sakura's body. Anko spoke up while staring at the man who continued to ignore them all.
 
“The girl must have given her life for silver top…seems he's in shock or something...”
 
Anko's words held truth. Kakashi hadn't even noticed the other's arrival as he continued to stare at his and Sakura's joined hands. It was the only sight he wanted to see. His ears heard no sound but the constant assault the rain beat down upon him.
 
Kiba growled as he turned to his sister.
 
“Isn't there something you can do? You're a medic for Kami's sake!”
 
Hana growled right back but with less conviction. She knew what her brother was feeling.
 
“I'm a vet, not a doctor…besides I doubt there's anything I can do at this point.”
 
In the next instant Kiba reminded her of the little brother he had once been as he pleaded with her with large round wet eyes. Hana sighed as she moved Radiou out of the way. She knew this was a waste of time, but she also knew that she would do anything for her little brother, the only family she had left.
 
Hana put two sharp nailed fingers to the clammy skin of the girl's neck. As expected she felt nothing, but she wasn't about to let her brother say that she hadn't tried. She let a small amount of chakra reach out from her fingers and it trailed the veins inside Sakura's body to her heart.
 
Hana concentrated hard for a moment and she felt it, a very slight pulse of the vital organ. It wasn't enough to pump blood through every vein, she reasoned that's why neither her nor Raidou had noticed, but it was a sign that there may still be hope.
 
The medic in her took over and she started barking out orders.
 
“There's a slight chance but she requires more treatment than I could ever give her. Anko, wrap you jacket around her! We need to retain her body heat. Gai since you are the fastest, get this girl inside the hospital. Go every second counts if you want her to live!”
 
Gai didn't need to be told twice. He would do anything for the one who had given him back his rival and friend. He quickly stood up from gathering the girl in his arms. His motions were halted; she was apparently snagged on something.
 
As the green leotard wearing man looked down he noticed the snag was in fact Kakashi who had somehow tightened his hold on her hand. Gai also noticed that his friend had still not taken his eyes from where they were joined.
 
Kurenai stepped forward to help out. Kiba stamped down a twinge in his chest, this was hardly the time and he knew it. Kurenai leaned down and whispered soothing words into her friend's ear.
 
“Sakura still has a chance Kakashi. We're just taking her to the hospital. Come now, let her go. I promise to keep you updated if you let her go. It's alright.”
 
Kurenai's words cut into his befuddled mind and reluctantly his grip loosened and Sakura's hand slid out of his own. Truthfully his exhausted muscles couldn't hold out much longer. His arm fell limply to the ground.
 
Hana hurriedly move out of the way and began checking over Kakashi next.
 
“Genma, Raidou, you two take care of this one. He's no longer close to death thanks to that girl but he still needs treatment. Get him to the hospital fast. Asuma hold his head steady incase of spinal injury! This rain isn't helping his condition, now move!”
 
Kiba had already taken after Gai with Akamaru close behind. Anko, Kurenai and Sasaki followed after the procession carrying the Copy Ninja.
 
Hana, for the Copy Ninja's and her brother's sake, hoped that the pink haired Kunoichi pulled through. There had been more than enough death this day already.
 
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
 
Author's Footnote:
 
 
I added in so much more that another chapter is vital.
 
I figured the mood would be better set at the start of a new chapter.
 
So yes there is another final chapter on its way.
 
If I had hoped to do anything in this chapter, I had hoped my readers would be able to feel what was going on.
 
I hope I did an adequate job of that…