Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Respect & Understanding ❯ A Hero is not Born but Made! ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.
 
 
Chapter 15: A Hero Is Not Born But Made!
 
It had been hours now since the attack. The sun was already ablaze over the smoke filled, blood painted village of Konohagakure. As two epic battles took place outside the tall wooden walls, other battles inside waged that held significance just the same.
 
The relentlessness of the enemy was starting to weigh heavily on the defenders of the Leaf. Even the greatest shinobi had a limit and many were already getting dangerously close to that red zone.
 
Kakashi knew that due to weariness and fatigue mistakes were now bound to happen, both on their part and the enemy. The combined efforts of Cloud, Sound, and the hired mercenaries were an astounding sight to behold.
 
If only they could put that effort of teamwork into peace between the villages, but Kakashi digressed.
 
The silver haired ANBU member swung the four kunai, in between his fingers, into the crowd as he parried a sword attack with a kunai in his off hand.
 
He took a page from Gai's book as the crowd of enemies closed in. He flipped to his hands and kicked out with both legs in a high speed spin. Needless to say the enemies pushing in on him went flying back.
 
Yajima twirled his wires in one hand fending off a shower of shuriken, while he used his other wire encased hand to wrap around a Cloud ninja to his right. The man went flying screaming through the air.
 
Sasaki cleaved a man's arm off with the force of her downward arc. Next she grabbed the hilt of her sword with two hands and forced it behind her. The hired mercenary that had tried to sneak up on her from behind ended up with her blade buried to the hilt in his gullet.
 
His hands dropped the machete he had wielded as she swiftly turned and kicked him off her blade.
 
Next, her sword became a blur as she twirled it with both her hands like a cutting baton. Her blade edge cut into the flesh of the enemy ninja around her, spraying her and those within reach with blood. As Sasaki's spinning dance of blades came to a halt beside Kakashi, a stray kunai struck her thigh.
 
The purple haired woman faltered in her steps just long enough to allow her attacker to thrust another one into her side.
 
Yajima by this time was too far down the steps to get to her in time to be of any assistance. Kakashi kicked his opponent savagely into the crowd as he stabbed a kunai into Sasaki's would be murderer.
 
Yajima tried in vain to reach the pair, but regrettably the swarm of enemy was just too thick. Their fourth member had disappeared lost to the crowd.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
“Akamaru!”
 
A great white dog came bounding over with a wailing Sound ninja clenched in his teeth. The white gleaming coat was no longer so sparkling. Akamaru's fur was matted in several places with sticky red human blood.
 
The huge canine shook his head rapidly from side to side and finally flung the now dead man from his teeth.
 
Akamaru looked almost rabid as his eyes flashed and blood fell from his blackened lips and gleaming pink stained teeth. The huge canine stood next to Kiba, as Kiba's hands flew in a set of seals.
 
“Jujin Bushin!” (Beast Human Clone)
 
In a flash Akamaru was now an exact clone of his fanged human companion. The canine copy of Kiba growled as the real Inuzuka's voice rang out.
 
“Gatsuga!” (Double Wolf Fang)
 
The two forms burst into two identical cyclones and in the next instant they darted off in all directions effectively drilling holes through their opponents. The large crowd was now being thinned out. Bodies were constantly flying up into the air as the two tornadoes ripped through the mass of enemies.
 
Hana, Kiba's elder sister, used her brother's distraction to combine with her own companion. Unlike the younger Inuzuka's ultimate `two headed man beast' jutsu, when Hana joined with her companion Riatz, she took on his features and their two consciousnesses became one.
 
After the last seal was formed Hana fell to the ground on her hands and feet. Her back arched almost painfully as her body grew and expanded. Her nails grew at a rapid pace.
 
Her already pointy fangs became saber tooth like. Orange and black striped fur sprouted all over her body. Her eyes were no longer the pristine violet hue, but a black and gold catlike color and shape.
 
Her clothes were torn to shreds as well as her sandals. Her already long black hair broke free from her ponytail and whipped wildly around her as she let out an ear piercing howl. Muscle rippled beneath her fur covered body as she lashed out at her stunned enemy.
 
The adrenaline pumped throughout her body as she felt her new speed and strength.
 
Hana was on all fours striking out like a wild animal. The Sound Ninja that got to close felt her enlarged fangs sink into his throat. Blood ran down her lips and chin as she tossed him to the side.
 
Her enemies around her seemed too stunned to attack. Hana being the predator that she was now leapt into the fray; if they would not come to her then she would go to them. The screams of three Sound ninja pierced the air as her tiger like claws lashed out.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
The battle had now breached the walls of the Jounin HQ building. Kakashi and his group of defenders were quickly being overrun. Sasaki was still holding her own even with her new wounds, but unfortunately their lives weren't the only things they feared for.
 
The Konoha Library was held within these walls. The library was the very place where their entire history and vital information was stored. Even if Konoha was able to win this war, if even one of the village's secret scrolls were to be carried outside those wooden walls…
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
It was becoming all too clear to the white eyed male that their precious village had at some point in time before the attack harbored spies. His enhanced eyes allowed him to look upon the village from their vantage point at the bottom of the stairs leading to the Hokage faces.
 
It was relatively clear that the enemy had planned the attack carefully. The largest portion of the attack was centered upon the middle of the village, namely the HQ. The second largest force was sent right to his position.
 
Obviously the hidden safe houses in the hillside were no longer so secret.
 
Neji could guess that their original plan had been to obtain the scroll half from the HQ and take out all the civilians first as a blow to the Leaf's morale. Since Tsunade had effectively disposed of the enemy's first objective, the enemy was no doubt intent on taking any other vital information as their prize.
 
Neji figured that any new jutsu or secret bit would suffice since they obviously knew where to look. It was fortunate that Konoha had a contingency plan for just these types of occasions.
 
It was unfortunate for Sound and Cloud that the path to the civilians happened to be guarded by himself and his cousin. Right now, Neji wasn't feeling too sorry for them in the least. A great deal of his comrades had already fallen around him.
 
Some died from wounds inflicted upon them and others because they had used up their very last ounce of chakra to aid in the defense. One of those mortally drained shinobi happened to be Hyuuga Hinabi, Hinata's younger sister.
 
With Neji's 360 degree vision when the Byakugan is activated, he was able to not only take in the moment she fell, but also Hinata's reaction as well. His heart not only broke in that moment for his cousin, but it also swelled.
 
Like Neji, Hinata was able to throw off her attacker while watching the younger dark haired woman's fall, but not once did Hinata falter in her attack. If anything, the untimely death of her 19 year old sister strengthened her resolve and lit a fire behind her pupil less eyes.
 
“Shugohakke Rokujuyon Sho!” (Protection of the Eight Trigrams Sixty Four Palms)
 
Hinata's hands started out in a slow swirl in front of her, but soon they were a blur. In their wake blue chakra lines were left hanging in the air around her like a neon circular cage.
 
The weapons that came in contact with her chakra like shell were cut to pieces and clattered on the cement ground below her.
 
Neji was equally surprised as his enemies when Hinata formed more seals and lunged forward.
 
“Hakke Hyaku Nijuhachi Sho!” (Eight Trigrams One Hundred Twenty-Eight Palms)
 
Even with his vein puffed eyes Neji was not able to see the pattern that Hinata wove with her faster than light opened palms. He was familiar with this move. It was the same jutsu he had used on those spiders that had rained down upon him all those years ago. The time Naruto, Chouji, Kiba and himself were led by Shikamaru to retrieve the Uchiha boy.
 
Neji also knew that the speed and strength of this move was more lethal than the 64 palm strike that was usually used to plug the chakra holes of a single individual.
 
Hinata's enemies died under her hands each time a single strike hit home on their bodies. By the time the 128th blow had been dealt half of the enemy that had amassed was now lifeless on the cold hard ground.
 
Neji rushed forward to catch the rapidly crumbling woman. His cousin hadn't used her last ounce of chakra, but she had been damn close to it. The long haired man looked down upon Hinata's weary features.
 
“You have done more than enough fighting this day. Please allow me to take care of the rest.”
 
Hinata could only turn and stare blankly at her fallen sister, but it only took her a mere second before she nodded her head. Neji set her tired body on the ground behind him before stoically taking up a protective position in front of her.
 
“You have all witnessed the power of the Hyuuga Clan! Your business is finished in this world if you are to be my opponent. Come; let me help you continue on to the next!”
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
The enemy had already breached the second and third floors of the HQ. It was rapidly becoming clear what had to be done.
 
Buildings could be rebuilt, scrolls could be rewritten, and those that could not were better off vanishing from the face of this earth than ending up in the hands of their enemies. With all this in mind Kakashi called out to his teammates.
 
“Yajima, Sasaki! Defense Plan: Final Failsafe!”
 
No more was needed to be said. The two ANBU clad warriors next to him nodded their heads once in reply and vanished in the next instant.
 
In prior defense plan strategy meetings it was acknowledged that should such an occasion arise where defense was no longer an option, Defense Plan: Final Failsafe was to be initiated.
 
Defense Plan: Final Failsafe involved the placement of strategic blast-notes through out the building by the lead Squad, this being `Team Dragon'. The rest of the leaf shinobi were to lead as much of the enemy shinobi forces into the targeted area before the final blast note was placed.
 
Once all main support beams were tagged a signal was to be put out, marking the five minute countdown till detonation.
 
Sasaki headed to the top three floors, Yajima had the three under that, and Kakashi set about to take care of the remaining three including the basement ANBU HQ. Kakashi silently sent a prayer to Kami in hopes that neither one of his team members were killed during the endeavor.
 
Kakahsi stole one last glance at Sasaki's already injured body before he too took off for the first of his targeted beams.
 
'They've never once let me down. I have faith in you two...'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx< /div>
 
Sakura received a foot to the chest and flew back a few feet. Kurenai helped the younger kunoichi to her feet. As Sakura got up, she turned to her left and noticed the large mass of enemy rushing through the open doors of the Jounin HQ.
 
`When the hell were they able to get inside…? What the hell happened to the HQ's Defenses…?'
 
A twinge of worry crept up on Sakura.
 
“You better be alright…”
 
Anko pressed her back against Sakura's and in the next second an enemy to Sakura's immediate left went flying with the help of Anko's snakes. The dark haired woman sneered from behind her.
 
“You better keep your eyes in front of you girl. I just used up my one good deed for the day.”
 
Sakura only nodded in response.
 
`Anko's right. I have to concentrate on the here and now, besides Kakashi can take care of him self. He's been doing it for years…'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
The waters inside the central fountain frothed pink and crimson with the occasional face-down body floating by. The air was filled with a massive amount of chakra infused insect swarms. The buzzing was almost loud enough to drown out their victims dying screams…almost.
 
“Mushi Kabe no Jutsu!” (Bug wall Technique)
 
Shino and four of his other clan members had effectively created an insect wall around the group. The other members within this bug shield struck out from their temporary safety with shuriken, kunai, and insect shaped weapon swarms.
 
As the insect shield began to crumble, other members of his clan came into action.
 
A mass of moths flew out of the men and women's clothes behind Shino. The bugs flapped their wings over the crowd of enemies and with each flutter a cascade of sparkling powder descending upon the group. Enemy eyes and skin burned as the poisonous shimmering particles reached their victims.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Kakashi was relieved to see a flash of purple heading his way.
 
Sasaki was thankful to see that her Captain could be punctual when the time warranted it. As she reached his side she looked around.
 
“Where's Yajima?”
 
Kakashi's eyes cast around as he answered.
 
“He hasn't returned yet.”
 
Sasaki furrowed her brows as she dodged an in coming attack.
 
`That's odd, I know I'm usually the early one, but Yajima was in charge of the three floors below me….'
 
She started to not like where her train of thought was leading her. As she sank her sword through a mercenary's shoulder she yelled over her own to her Captain.
 
“I'm going to look for him. He may need back up.”
 
Kakashi mirrored a fire jutsu back to its owner before speaking.
 
“No! I'll go look for him. You are to continue getting the rest of our people out of here. If I'm not back by the time the last Leaf is out, you are to make your exit and form the seals.”
 
Sasaki shook her head in an affirmative as she parried another blow. She knew that if anyone could find Yajima, Kakashi could and she wasn't too worried about having to blow the building with him still in it.
 
`Shinobi like the Captain don't die in battle from things like that. He'll make it. I know it.'
 
Once Kakashi made it to the bottom of the stairwell he bit his thumb and slammed his palm to the marble floor.
 
“Kuchiyose no Jutsu!” (Summoning Technique)
 
Pakkun sat rather grumpily before Kakashi on the bottom step.
 
“Kakashi, I hope you remember that I am not a fighting dog.”
 
Kakashi had no time for the little pug's mood.
 
“Old friend, I need you to find Yajima for me.”
 
The little pug shrugged his shoulders, sniffed the air and then bounded up the stairs. His size allowed him to slip underneath and between the enemy's legs unnoticed, sadly Kakashi did not. The silver haired man had to dispel of his enemy's rather quickly to keep up with the fast moving pug.
 
Kakashi lost sight of his small companion on the way up to the fourth floor. A small group of three shinobi had stepped into his way at that point. A loud barking from further up the stairs alerted Kakashi that Pakkun had found his target.
 
Kakashi hurriedly sent the three obstacles flying with a set of kicks and headed toward the noise.
 
He was not expecting what he saw as he neared the top of the staircase. There on the landing of the forth flour, in front of Pakkun lay a bloodied familiar body. The little dogs barking stopped as Kakashi knelt next to the kunai riddled body of his teammate.
 
Yajima's eyes opened as Kakashi laid a gloved hand on the younger man's crimson splashed arm. The Iruka-look-a-like tried to speak even as the blood entered his lungs; his voice was gurgled and raspy.
 
It amazed the silver haired ninja how his mortally wounded teammate could produce a smile even upon the brink of death.
 
“I-I w-was able t-to…finish t-the job C-Captain…”
 
Kakashi vaguely felt the murderous intent from behind him as the younger ninja continued to speak what Kakashi knew to be his last breaths. Dragon Team's Captain flicked four shuriken from his pouch and with a flick of his wrist flung them expertly behind him, while never taking his mismatched eyes from his dying friend.
 
As the thump of four bodies hitting the ground could be heard behind him, Kakashi gripped the smiling man's hand tightly. Yajima turned slightly in a vain attempt to cough up the life blood that had entered his breathing organs.
 
When he looked back up to his Captain, Kakashi noticed that even more blood had caked his vest, mouth and chin. Yajima's light brown eyes stared dully into mismatched ones, his smile was gone now replaced with a sorrowful and regret filled grimace.
 
Blood and saliva frothed at the corners of the dying man's mouth as his darkening eyes closed slowly. Kakashi could feel the man's grip slackening in his own.
 
If anything could slip past the small cracks, created by a certain pink haired kunoichi, in the walls surrounding the silver haired ninja's heart….it would be this man's, his teammates, his friend's last words.
 
“I-I'm s-sorry I couldn't…b-be like you Captain…”
 
Kakashi hung his head as the last breath was forced viciously from the younger mans body, two words rode the winds from between Yajima's lips.
 
“…my hero…”
 
Kakashi squeezed the limp hand between his own two as a lump formed in his throat. Pakkun turned his head away from the anguished scene and chose this time to make his exit. Pakkun may be known as a smart alack companion, but he knew when to keep his mouth shut and if he was being truthful a lump had formed in his own throat.
 
As a `poof' signaled his trackers disappearance Kakashi closed his eyes tightly as he knelt there next to his deceased friend and teammate. Yajima's last words had slipped between the newly created cracks around his heart and created ones of their own.
 
As Kakashi's thoughts slipped past the knot in his throat his head bent even further and his silvery hair covered his eyes.
 
“You were an honorable shinobi Yajima. I don't deserve your praise…a true hero doesn't allow their teammates…friends…to end up like this…”
 
The echoes of the battle still raging around him seeped into his ears. No matter how much that little voice in the back of his mind shouted that the young man deserved a proper burial, Kakashi knew the truth.
 
Soon what's left of the body would be covered by the ruble of the demolished building. A shinobi did not know comfort even in death.
 
With one last look that would be burned into his memory and forced upon him as he slept, Kakashi made his way back to the main floor to support the last remaining member of his team.
 
`I will not fail her…'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
The distinct guttural howls of Kakashi's hounds suddenly resounded through the air and could be heard crystal clear over the din of war. The piercing sounds had even reached the ears of those who furiously fought outside the walls of the HQ.
 
Many a head stopped in mid action to turn to the source, the open doors of the brick Jounin building. Only the Leaf shinobi inside the walls knew what this meant, for this had been preplanned between the individuals set to protect their village secrets.
 
Sakura too had been drawn to the sound. Having not been part of “Team Dragon” for but a few weeks, Sakura too was ignorant to what that sound foreshadowed. She wasn't the only one who sported the confused look however.
 
Asuma spat blood from his mouth, a byproduct of the earlier blow to the mouth he received prior to the alert.
 
“What the…?”
 
Fortunately Gai was able to shed a little light on the situation. The key to succession over your eternal rival was knowing your opponent like the back of your hand.
 
“It's a signal.”
 
Raidou didn't look so impressed by his bit of information though, as he shoved his foot into an enemy face.
 
“I got that much, but what's the signal for exactly?”
 
Gai's features became uncharacteristically tense; this was not a good sign in Sakura's book. She started to get a bad feeling about what it might mean. Gai sent his opponent into the netherworld with a hard thrust of his fist as he spoke with a grave voice.
 
“It means whoever can hear it had better…”
 
At this Gai grabbed the backs of his two nearest friends, which happened to be Genma and Asuma.
 
“…run! Run like your youth is flowing free!”
 
Gai was gone in a flash with his two bundles of flesh beneath his iron clad grip. Raidou had paused for only a few seconds with his eyes wide at this new information. A shower of shuriken aimed for his head woke him up easily enough and in the next instant he was right behind Gai.
 
Kurenai finished off her opponent, who was wrapped up by the limbs of a tree she had conjured with her favorite genjutsu with a kunai through the heart.
 
The crimson eyed Kunoichi then set off toward the fountain area where the Aburame clan was still holding their own. Sakura heard her shout the warning to flee the area to their head and watched as Kurenai disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
 
Anko set off toward the bloody steps of the Hospital to warn the defenders there. Sakura was caught up in steadily defending herself as she watched the steps as many a Leaf Shinobi made their desperate exit.
 
`What the hell are you doing in there…?'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxx
 
Kakashi neared the purple haired kunoichi's position who was steadily helping the leaf members fighting to reach the exit. As Sasaki's eyes locked with her Captains no words were needed. The absence of her dark haired fighting companion was enough to clue her in. She didn't need to see the slightly haunted look in the depths of Kakashi's eyes.
 
Sasaki's grip on her sword hilt tightened as her shoulders slumped as she broke eye contact. She turned her head saddened. In the year she had spent with the younger man they had formed a bond quite close to that of brother and sister.
 
Sasaki had enjoyed the ribbing and light banter between herself and the youth obsessed with their famous Captain. Another space was hollowed out of her heart next to the one already created by the loss of her former lover.
 
`I will miss you little brother…'
 
Sasaki pushed the heartbreaking emotions aside with all the strength she could muster. Yajima had died a warrior's death. He had fought bravely defending his teammates and village.
 
`He fought to ensure our victory and by god we shall have it! I promise you little brother that you death will not be in vain.'
 
Sasaki's righteous anger flowed from every pore in her body as she drove her sword blade through her enemy's shoulder nearly cutting him in half.
 
The only thing left for the remaining members of “Team Dragon” was to wait until the last of their kind had exited the building. The only problem in doing this was the massive amount of enemy now gathered around the entrances.
 
Kakashi and Sasaki were now up to their elbows trying to make escape routes for those still trapped inside. The going was slow and tedious, but it was against everything the Copy Ninja believed in to leave a comrade behind.
 
He would make sure every damn one of them made it out alive.
 
By the time the last of the Leaf Ninja had safely been evacuated it was only Sasaki and Kakashi left to fend for themselves inside the brick walls of the HQ. The building was now overrun with Sound and Cloud.
 
The enemy had a clear path to the library were all the important scrolls resided. Kakashi knew he had to act fast.
 
The two ANBU members were covered in blood, bruises, and wounds. Each proud Leaf shinobi was bone tired and almost drained of their chakra. The path to either exit was blocked; Kakashi knew he would have to make his own if they were to survive.
 
The huge mass of enemy ninja converged upon them and Kakashi was forced to make a snap decision.
 
He couldn't use a blast tag or anything that might cause the other tags to ignite so…
 
`It's the only way…I won't let another teammate die.'
 
When Kakashi spoke, his voice was hard and commanding. It held no room for argument.
 
“I need you to watch my back while I make an exit to our immediate left. When I do, I want you to run for it and don't look back! When you've fled to at least 100 meters I want you to detonate!”
 
Sasaki looked round at him alarmed and started to argue. For the first time ever she was not willing to blindly follow her Captain's orders.
 
“I'm not leaving with out…!”
 
Kakashi cut her off as he flung an enemy into the crowd.
 
“I'd just be dead weight and then Yajima's death would be in vain! No one else is going to die on my Squad you got that! I've never tolerated insubordination and I'm not about to start now! When I say run, you fucking run! Is that clear!”
 
Sasaki coated herself in enemy blood once again as her sword slid across a Sound's throat. Even though her heart screamed at her not to... she gave her agreement through gritted teeth.
 
“Alright.”
 
Sasaki circled around the silver haired ninja as Kakashi's Sharingan eye swirled and changed form.
 
The three black dots within the sea of his red orb expanded and connected to form a shape that was much similar to Uchiha Itachi's Mangekyo Sharingan. The black shape was that of a shuriken. Unlike the late eldest Uchiha's, Kakashi's form had a circle that connected the three blades in the middle.
 
The shuriken blackness swirled into a blur as he Kakashi's rotating pupil stared resolutely at the crowd and wall in front of him. The images of the men and wall facing him began to bend, blur and distort.
 
An interdimensional spacetime warp opened up before Kakashi and the blackness swallowed both the opposing shinobi and the section of wall creating Sasaki's exit. It was the first time Kakashi had ever tried to use his ultimate Sharingan form on so many objects.
 
Kakashi swayed on his feet as he squeezed out one word from his deep tired voice.
 
“Run…”
 
Sasaki's jaw clenched and her brows knitted but her legs were already in motion. She would not dishonor her Captain by disobeying what was to be his last order ever. With out looking back she ran at full speed through the stunned crowd to the outside…to her freedom. Unfortunately the newly created exit was her salvation and Kakashi's doom.
 
Muscles burned and limbs moved at almost a blur as she made the mad dash outside and onto and over rooftops. She neared her fellow ninja taking cover and Sasaki ground to a halt.
 
Her orbs looked past the crowd in front of her. Her mind was on nothing but the horrendous task she was about to complete. Her actions would safeguard the secrets of their village, but even this knowledge wasn't enough to erase the fact that she would still be one thing…
 
…Kakashi's grim reaper.
 
Sasaki's hands flew to form the seal to release the chakra inside the hidden notes as shouts and yells engulfed her, but the only thing she could hear was the grinding of her teeth in her ears.
 
A lone tear slipped through Sasaki's lashes and words broke forth from her quivering lips as the first slip of paper was ignited.
 
“A true hero…to the very end….”
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxx
 
Kakashi watched with slightly glazed dull eyes as his companion made her way to safety. His senses still worked but his movement was severely crippled by the use of his Mangekyo Sharingan.
 
The proud warrior within him would not let his body submit to defeat so easily though.
 
`This may be it, but I'm not about to make it easy…'
 
With strength, chakra and consciousness waning, Kakashi was still able to send a few Cloud flying back into the encroaching mass. Kakashi exhaustively shoved down his headband to contain what little chakra he had left while ripping out his last two kunai from his pouch.
 
“Come on you bastards…”
 
As his kunai bit into flesh his internal clock chimed letting him know that his teammate had enough time to reach a sufficient distance.
 
Kakashi had lived a rather tragic life, but it was a long life considering the shinobi lifestyle he led. He even had friends and family he missed every day, waiting for him on the other side.
 
He did not regret his decision one bit. It was his duty as Captain. Kakashi had always believed that the Captain should protect his subordinates. Well he had already failed two of them; he would not fail the last.
 
`Sasaki I know you will survive this war…'
 
But it wasn't just a duty to him, it was also an honor. Kakashi had never had delusions of grandeur when it came to the idea of his death. Images of dying in his sleep of old age had never crossed his mind.
 
What were conjured in his nightmares were images of him dying alone in a hole somewhere from someone who wanted to become famous from his death.
 
If he could die this day saving at least one person then so be it. Kakashi thanked Kami that he could be so fortunate
 
If this was to be Hatake Kakashi, The Famous Copy Ninja's last stand then he would damn sure go out in one hell of a blaze of glory.
 
His second kunai sank into a chest as a naked sleeping pink haired kunoichi's image swam across his steadily groggy vision. Her whispered sleep murmured words filled his ears as his reflexes slowed and he took a kunai in the stomach.
 
The memory of her soft touches and gentle kisses were enough to drown out the pain.
 
`I couldn't love you in this world…but I promise…When we meet again in the next…I will….'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Sakura stood beside Asuma on the rooftop of Kakashi's yellow apartment building as Sasaki headed their way at break neck speed. Sakura's emerald eyes frantically cast around the kunoichi approaching, searching for any signs of silver she could find.
 
`Where the hell is he?'
 
The purple haired woman finally ground to a halt a little ways in front of the crowd on the roof. The elite ninja looked highly troubled and kept her back to the building she had just escaped.
 
Sakura was already questioning Sasaki even as the violet haired woman brought up her shaking hands to form a seal.
 
“Where is Kakashi? Where's your Captain?”
 
Sakura took in the look on the ninja's face. She saw the tear slip down Sasaki's cheek and heard her quivering words. Sakura turned her eyes to the perfect circular hole in the side of the building and the trail of clues finally led her to an understanding.
 
There had been no explosion.
 
`He used it. He used the Mangekyo…'
 
The world seemed to stop at her next realization as her gaze turned back to the new arrival.
 
`He used it…to save her…'
 
Sakura's eyes widened.
 
`…but that means that Yajima…'
 
Her heart clenched in her chest as she thought about the young man that had so recently become her friend, but then another thought made the blood in her body turn ice cold.
 
`…Kakashi…he's still in there…!'
 
Her body rushed forward intent to stop the last seal from being formed on Sasaki's hands. A cry ripped from her lips as she moved.
 
“No! You can't…!”
 
Sakura's hands closed over her former teammate's own. The last seal was visible beneath her smaller pale hands.
 
`Oh god no…'
 
The explosion of the HQ building rocked the foundation of the apartment complex beneath them. A huge gust of wind forced Sakura's eyes shut as her hair was whipped behind her. She released her hold on the other woman to shield her eyes from the flying debris.
 
When Sakura opened her eyes, the sight before her made her fall to her already scrapped and sore knees. The air of the central plaza was filled with smoke and the dwindling of white powder from the blown rocks and stones of the building.
 
Pieces of the walls covered the blood covered ground around the center of the village. The remaining pieces of the building had collapsed in and upon themselves.
 
The explosion had taken a substantial amount of enemy forces with it, both inside and out. The scattered Leaf Shinobi around the rooftops of the area began to whoop and holler at this sudden turning point.
 
Sakura didn't hear or see any of it; she continued to stare in shocked horror at the sight before her. Asuma, Kurenai, Gai, Genma, Anko, and Radiou were more than aware that they had just lost their seventh member. They had been a tight knit group of friends that had formed quite some time ago.
 
Kurenai closed her eyes and dropped her head onto Asuma's shoulders as he wrapped a tanned arm around her own. Genma put a brotherly arm around the neck of his younger scarred faced friend who hung his head.
 
Gai put a slightly shaky hand onto Anko's shoulder as he looked down and to the side. Anko's usual cold demeanor cracked as she put her own hand upon the one on her shoulder as she continued to stare hard at the remains of the building before her.
 
The proprietor of the explosion stood dejectedly, trying in vain not to look at the kunoichi she knew to be secretly special to her Captain, a woman that Sasaki had just inadvertently wronged.
 
The first step of loss settled upon Sakura's shoulders, hot burning tears silently streamed down her dirt and blood splashed face. Words failed her, breathing failed her.
 
Shock set in…
 
`I can't believe…'
 
`…how could …'
 
…and then self pity….
 
`Why is it every time I…'
 
`First Sasuke and now….'
 
…and finally denial washed over her like a warm blanket.
 
`He can't be…'
 
`There's no way…'
 
`No! He's The Famous Copy Ninja damn it!'
 
`He can't! H-He's not dead…!'
 
Words formed on Sakura's lips as the tears flowed like a silent raging river. Kurenai moved forward to put a hand on the distraught woman's shoulder. Sakura found her voice as she pushed the offending comfort away. Sakura's voice dripped with venom.
 
“No.”
 
Sakura dazedly pushed herself to her feet as the ruby eyed kunoichi backed off in surprise. Gai spoke from behind Kurenai, his voice lacked his usual jubilancy. He sounded solemn.
 
“Kakashi died an honorable death. A shinobi could only hope to leave this world in such a proud and heroic way….”
 
Hearing his words made her blood boil. She turned a fiery gaze upon the older man.
 
“No! You're wrong! You're wrong because….he's not dead…!”
 
Sakura turned her back on the group. Her next words made Gai, Asuma, Genma, Radiou and even Anko try to grab on to her.
 
“…and I'm going to prove it!”
 
Sakura sprinted to the edge of the rooftop and simply walked over the tiled edge. Her landing created a small crater in the ground. The six jounin and Sasaki were left to stare dumbfounded as the younger woman took off like a bat out of hell from her crouched position on the ground.
 
Sakura was running solely on need, the need to see him. She was breaking every shinobi rule ever ingrained in her as a child in the academy. Her heart and emotions had taken control.
 
Her mind may have been numbed by desperation, but her reflexes were kicked into high gear. Both fists glowed with a brilliant blue unearthly hue.
 
Her numbing fists caused more than one vital organ to stop as she flew through the crowd at top speed. It was like Moses parting the red sea, as her lethal hands came in contact with the flesh above so many enemy hearts.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
“Sakura!”
 
“No!”
 
“Come back!”
 
“You'll get your self killed!”
 
Genma spit out the new senbon he had placed in his mouth. It fell over the edge of the roof he stood upon with the others to clatter to the cracked ground below. He shook his head in shock as he watched the frantic woman rip through the crowd.
 
“What the hell does she think she's doing and how the hell is she doing that!”
 
Anko jerked her head to the side as she added her own two cents.
 
“He's dead. Seeing his corpse isn't worth her life…stupid girl.”
 
Sasaki, being the only one who understood the distraught woman spoke up.
 
“It is to her.”
 
Gai shook his head next to the hidden snake woman, his voice sounded strained.
 
“Even my Lee wouldn't…”
 
Asuma scowled and cut him off in a slightly annoyed voice.
 
“Oh yes he would.”
 
Sasaki spoke up.
 
“Kakashi and Sakura's relationship may be different than Gai and his former pupil but they meant something to each other just the same….more so than any of us could have guessed apparently.”
 
Her meaning was not lost on him or the other jounin. Sakura's earlier words of how her night had faired rung a bell in Genma's hentai mind and his mouth dropped slightly before forming a wide smile.
 
“Well, I'll be damned…”
 
The fact that the woman he had been trying to bed had chosen his friend's instead of his own didn't matter to him in that moment. Genma wasn't stupid. He knew the reasons why Kakashi had held back that night at the bar. The orally fixated ninja knew that if his silver haired friend had chosen to bed his pink cherry blossom then Genma knew that Kakashi had done the one thing he never could. Kakashi had fallen in love.
 
Genma's smile quickly turned to a scowl as he was brought back to reality.
 
"Kami is one sick bastard..."
 
Raidou feigned having something in his eye as he straightened up.
 
It was ironic that the youngest of the bunch decided to take charge of the situation. Raidou puffed out his chest and spoke commandingly.
 
“Well regardless, she's taken out a nice chunk of the enemy. I say we stop gawking like a bunch of Genin and start kicking some enemy ass! From the looks of that kunai in her back she might need some help soon….”
 
Without another word Raidou dropped to the ground and the others trickled off the rooftop after him with the same determination.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
`You can't be…your just hurt…that's all…your just hurt…'
 
This was her silent mantra as yet another kunai found its home in the softness of her flesh. These were just the first few of the many wounds that were to be inflicted upon her during her desperate journey to find the man she loved.
 
`You can't leave me now…'
 
Her fist collided with another chest as a shuriken embedded it's self into her thigh. Sakura pushed past the pain toward her goal, the crumbled remains of the Jounin Building. Her tear filled voice rose into the air as her bloodied legs carried her forward.
 
“I'm coming for you Kakashi! Don't you dare leave me!”
 
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQ
 
Author's Notes:
 
 
 
I really hope that my lack of motivation didn't shine through in my writting...cries a river of tears...bows down and begs her readers forgiveness...
 
For those who don't read the manga Kakashi does achieve a new sharingan form in the second story arc and it does exactly what I described...sorry if I spoiled it for anyone...
 
 
Will Sakura find Kakashi? Will he already be dead if she does? Will she even survive the trip to find him?
 
Was this a doomed relationship from the start or will Kami smile down upon them?