Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Respect & Understanding ❯ Dawn of War ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto
 
Chapter 14: Dawn of War
 
 
Blackish grey billowing smoke rose to the heavens in front of the huge wooden doors that enclosed Konohagakure. Bloodied bodies fell from the tops of the gates with dying screams, only a few of the many that promised to perish by the end of this furious struggle.
 
Shouts of men, women, and children could be heard from all corners of the village as Sakura tore a path to Naruto and Hinata's home. Sakura never slowed her steps once she was close enough to notice that the door stood wide open.
 
`He's not here, good that means he's getting Ichigo to safety. Hinata is no doubt going to join in the battle. I just hope her servants take good care of the kid. Now where the hell is Naruto? I wish I had been assigned early enough to find out our rendezvous point for these situations.'
 
Wishful thinking was not to be afforded in the time of battle unfortunately and especially not in times of war.
 
`Think damn it, where the hell would Naruto and his team be the most effective?'
 
Lots of answer came her way as she ran full speed toward the front of the village, defending the scroll happened to be one of them. No doubt it was possible, but Naruto was one of the few who could summon an other worldly boss type. With Jiriaya and Tsunade being the only other two, it made it feasible that he might go this way to the gate. Sakura picked up her speed as she ran toward the huge doors.
 
Even as Sakura made her way over the many rooftops in search of her Captain and new team, the rest of the village moved mechanically like a well oiled machine. In another part of the village, elderly, young mothers and children alike were being lined up and hurriedly shuffled into the hillside safe houses. Ten-Ten was already overseeing the safety of the civilians. The dark haired weapons master's calming voice was heard trying to sooth the fears of those who were too old, too young, or in no position to fight. This was her duty and she was more than ready to be the first person to come to these people's defense.
 
`Not one of them is going to be touched on my watch…'
 
These were Ten-Ten's thoughts as she ushered the last of the village folk into the shelter. Ten-Ten turned to the side and cast her eyes upon the thick eye-browed man she had come to love.
 
`As long as he's by my side I know that even if I die here protecting these people, I'll die happy….'
 
Unbeknownst to Ten-Ten, the warm hearted Taijutsu master was sharing her same thought.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Unfortunate souls who could not make it to the safety of the hillside shelters remained within the walls of the Konoha Hospital. Fortunately there was already a line of defense being set up for these people. Lucky for these already battered patients, the front steps of the gleaming white building was now surrounded by a formidable line of medic Leaf Shinobi.
 
These brave vets, nurses and doctors were ready to show their enemy the true uses of their medical skills. Hands that had saved a countless number of lives were now ready to take many more if anyone dare try to enter. Their village hung in the balance, not to mention the lives of their already defenseless patients. They had always been ready to cure their patients' ailments and today they would stand as their human shields. This was the medical Leaf shinobi way of the ninja.
 
Men and women were not the only ones who graced the stone steps of the hospital. The entire Inuzuka Clan's canine companions stood ready to attack on command. Kiba and his sister Hana stood in the forefront. The huge body of a snowy white mane gleamed under the first rays of the morning dawn.
 
Akamaru and his companions were ready to defend the men and women who had raised them in this precious village. They were never considered pets, but fighting partners and companions. This bond between human and canine ran deeper than blood. Akamaru's large dark eyes cast in the direction the enemies smell lingered from. He let out a loud howl letting all know that any shinobi who did not bare the Leaf symbol would be torn to shreds by his claws and mangled between his long sharp teeth. No one was going to touch his humans.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Hinata and Neji were only two of the many shinobi who stood guard at the bottom of the numerous steps leading up to the faces of the past Hokages. This path also led to where the many civilians were now sheltered.
 
Gone were the days were the long haired pearly eyed man despised the woman next to him. She had grown into a formidable kunoichi and a respectable Hyuuga in his now vein puffed eyes.
 
They were doing as members of the Hyuuga clan should have always done from the very beginning. They were fighting side by side, for each other and all of Konoha. The name Hyuuga related them, but they were bonded by more than blood and a name alone. Neji cracked his knuckles as he peered through his Byukagan enhanced eyes to the woman to his left. They had grown so close over these past few years.
 
`None shall pass the two great Heads of the Hyuuga Clan this day. I will kill any who dare try to reach her son, my god son…'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
In the center of the village, a hooded figure cast his sunglass covered eyes to the slowly lighting sky. The sun reflected off Shino's glasses as he stood in his position around Konoha's central water fountain. Shino did not stand alone by any means. The rest of the Aburame clan had taken up their positions facing each street that intersected the main plaza.
 
They stood as one, silently awaiting their time to engage the enemy. Their insects clicked and buzzed noisily away hidden within their clothing, ready to fly out at their command.
 
They were one of the few insect using clans of this day and age. No enemy, no matter the number, was going to take over their home and wipe out their kind; no, not this day, not ever.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Chouji stood next to Nara Shikaku, Yamanaka Inoichi and his father Choza. The four ninja stood protectively in front of a large white wooden archway. This particular archway led to the section of the village that held their homes.
 
The Akamichi clan member was willing to risk his life just like the seasoned ninja beside him. This was the place him and his wife resided, the same place that his future baby would grow and learn the many secret jutsus he had to offer.
 
He would fight this day and bring honor to his wife and their unborn child. If he died at least his son or daughter would know their father had died a hero. He would fight his hardest to secure their future.
 
He would not let the seasoned skills of his best friend's father, his wife's father and his own father over shadow him. He would use every last ounce of his chakra until the last drop of blood ran from his body if need be. He would do this for Ino, his baby, and for Shikamaru who could not be there by his side this day.
 
`I'll watch your father's back for you Shikamaru…this I swear buddy.'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Morino Ibiki's men were already fighting away on the tops of the tall wooden walls. He was shouting orders to his men and occasionally throwing his own explosive tagged kunai at the enemy below. They hadn't attempted to break their way through yet. It seemed the enemy hadn't accounted for the alert being sent out. It looked to Ibiki as if they had wanted to send their men over the walls first in stealth. They had no doubt planned on taking out all his men and then be free to quietly open the front gates and attack the sleeping occupants.
 
`Ignorant asses, don't ever underestimate my men…'
 
If Ibiki had it his way not one of those Cloud and Sound bastards would ever make it over the walls of his village.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Six elite Jounin stood side by side among other leaf shinbo with weapons ready. They were the defenders of the main road that lead through the village.
 
Six good friends and even better drinking buddies had gathered there as had always been planned. Genma, Raidou, Gai, Anko, Asuma, and Kurenai stood shoulder to shoulder, front and center of the large mass of Leaf ninja.
 
Years of service and sacrifice would not be in vain this day. They all reveled in the great fortune that if one of them died, at least it would be defending the village they loved and at least they would die beside their friends who had become their family.
 
No one seemed to take notice the brief joining of hands between the bearded man and the ruby eyed woman. If they did, they didn't let on. It was no secret that the bearded shinobi and the ruby eyed kunoichi shared something the others did not. The two knew that if either fell here a part of them selves would die with the other. They both silently shared a small glance letting the other know that they would do everything within their power to not let that happen.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxx
 
Kakashi stood with his team on the steps of their HQ. It was up to them to keep their village's secrets from getting into the enemies hands. Other shinobi stood behind them as well but “Dragon Team” served as their leader. Kakashi wouldn't have it any other way.
 
Kakashi knew Sakura had set off in search of her new Captain and squad. At this moment he silently wished he had kept her in his own. Kakashi was quit aware of the location of the Kyuubi container and his men.
 
`If she was here with me….no, there would be no way possible to concentrate…I'd end up getting us both killed…'
 
Sasaki saw the furrowed brow and the slight far away gaze. She knew who he was thinking about, but if they were going to stay alive she knew he had to keep his mind in the game. Sasaki wasn't heartless. She offered him a reminder of his need to concentrate and a little reassurance to boot.
 
“She's strong…don't doubt her. We need all of you here Captain.”
 
Kakashi's thoughts cleared at the purple haired kunoichi's voice. A small grunt was his only reply.
 
`Sasaki's right. She doesn't need anyone to watch over her. No matter what happens you better stay alive Sakura...I'm not through with you yet.'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxx
 
Sakura stood between her two new teammates and Shizune. There was no time to exchange pleasantries or names. Ibiki's men were still beating back those who dared to make their way over the walls. Their Captain and the Hokage stood before them. Sakura vaguely wondered what the scroll was in her sensei's hands.
 
Tsunade's calm voice broke through her thoughts.
 
“I suggest you all stand back! Naruto are you ready?”
 
The blond in question only gave a curt nod and a grunt. When the crowd around them moved at a far enough space, the two strongest warriors bit their thumbs and slammed their bloodied hands to the ground. Both male and female shouted voices mixed in the air.
 
“Kuchiyose no Jutsu !” (Summoning Technique)
 
A huge gust of wind swept through the area. Most were forced to cough slightly from the cloud of smoke that had suddenly appeared.
 
Sakura watched in awe as she took in the scene before her. In front of her stood Naruto and Tsunade, each impressive Leaf shinobi stood atop their most powerful summons.
 
Naruto stood proudly with his arms crossed on top of the head of Gama Bunta. The boss frog stood imposingly next to the Queen of Slugs own summons, Katsuyu.
 
From her high position behind the tall wooden gates Tsunade was able to gaze down on the other side. Both Cloud and Sound stood before her in a large mass. The leaders of Cloud and Sound were quit easy to pick out to her honeyed brown eyes.
 
Raiu, the leader of Sound, stood atop a giant spider, and the leader of Cloud, Kasu, stood atop a giant snail. Without turning or looking at the young man beside her, Tsunade began to speak in a calm voice.
 
“Naruto, I've already named you as my successor to the elders if I should die. So as my last possible act as Hokage, I hereby order you not to die. You here that kid, your new A-Class mission is not to die today.”
 
Naruto replied without taking his eyes off the scene in front of him. His arms were still crossed as his brow furrowed in determination. His voice was uncharacteristically calm and serious as he replied.
 
“That's one mission I don't intend to fail, but to tell you the truth I'm not up to taking the title just yet. You better show me you still got some years left in you old woman.”
 
Tsunade just smirked while staring hard at the leader of Sound.
 
Tsunade bellowed out from atop her position to her enemy while holding high the now unrolled scroll.
 
“Is this what you came for you bastards? Well, we've discovered its use…”
 
Tsunade reached into a pocket of her robe and withdrew a shiny Zippo lighter. She flicked it open with one hand and a flame flickered to life. She slowly ran the flame over the curling bottom of the parchment. She flicked the lighter closed and pocketed it once again. As the paper blazed in her hand she laughed loudly.
 
“…and there's no way in hell I'll let you get your damn hands on it!”
 
Needless to say Raiu's blood boiled at seeing his prize go up in flames. This was it, they may not have Orochimaru's secret jutsu up their sleeve anymore, but they still had the upper hand in numbers. With the combined effort of Sound, Cloud and the extra muscle he had hired…he would make sure Konoha was destroyed.
 
`That bitch will pay. I'll kill her myself and then I'll hang her pretty little head on one of the towers as a warning to all who try to mess with us. Fire Country will be mine…I'll dispense with Kasu right after I take her head. The greedy bastard should have known better than to believe I'd just let him have half of Fire Country…'
 
Raiu gave the signal with a wave of his hand. A volley of arrows was released from the front of his army of ninja. The second the wooden metal tipped weapons thwacked into the wood of the giant doors, their attached blast seals ignited. In one simultaneous explosion their entrance to the village was procured.
 
As the rush of enemy ninja flocked toward the now opened space Tsunade set into action.
 
“Zesshi Nensan! (Tongue Tooth Sticky Acid)
 
A greenish tinged liquid shot out of the white and blue slug's mouth. Screams of pain filled the air as the acid landed with a splat onto bodies below. Naruto's voice was next to be heard.
 
“Katon: Gamayu Endan!” (Fire Release: Toad Oil Flame Bullet)
 
The giant frog hit a flipper into his stomach and out shot a ball of oil. Naruto blew out a huge burst of flame and the ball caught on fire. The massive fireball landed scorching the ground and many bodies under it. The smell of burnt flesh and shrieks filled the air.
 
As enemy ninja poured in around the feet and body of their summons Tsunade yelled to her people.
 
“Alright kids, lets give them hell! Don't even think about leaving even one of these bastards standing!”
 
With that said Katsuyu slithered out to greet the Sound Leader, promptly crushing who ever got in her way. Gama Bunta hopped easily over the walls and onto a few of their enemies who were too late to move. Naruto set his sights on the leader of Cloud.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
There were so many incoming enemies that large groups of them had easily slipped by the first wave of defenders. The large mass of Cloud and Sound broke apart, jumped over rooftops and traveled down every side street only to meet the next wave of Leaf shinobi.
 
It looked like every Leaf ninja, no matter where they were stationed, was going to see some action. Vaguely Sakura wondered where “Team Dragon” had taken up post, but that thought was quickly forgotten as her hands formed seals.
 
"Katon: Hosenka no Jutsu!" (Fire Style: Art of the Pheonix Flower)
 
Multiple balls of flame shot out of Sakura's mouth and assaulted the mass of ninja in front of her. Hidden shuriken within the flames slammed into flesh and bodies crumpled yards away from her.
 
The war was on and in full force. If your mind strayed even for a second you would die. Bodies flipped through the air from rooftop to rooftop, engaged in fierce battles to the death. Sakura next relied on her speed and skill with her two kunai in each hand. In flashes so quick, the human eye would have trouble picking up, her body danced in a series of bends, flips, slices, punches, and kicks. Sakura's weapons cut into what ever enemy ninja came within reach as they continued to pour in.
 
Loud booms shook the very ground under her swiftly moving feet as the opening continued to be bombarded with explosive tagged kunai from Leaf ninja both on the walls and surrounding roofs.
 
"Dokugiri!" (Poison Mist)
 
Shizune let out a large cloud of purple gas in the direction of her on coming attackers. As her first wave succumbed to the noxious gas, she started her next set of seals.
 
"Fukumkuchi Hari!" (Hidden Mouth Needles)
 
The first five ninja able to make it through her cloud of gas fell from long silver senbons lodged accurately in their throats.
 
Soon the dying cries of Sakura's comrades could be heard even as she ripped her right kunai across a Sound ninja's chest. Blood sprayed from the wound coating her white vest with even more enemy blood. Out of the corner of her eye she saw her red haired teammate fall from a shuriken to the neck.
 
Sakura didn't have time to mourn the man she had barely known. It was now more than apparent that the few front line survivors needed to fall back. Sakura quickly did a few seals and in a `poof' she was standing next to a senbon sucking brown haired familiar face.
 
Genma was in the middle of kicking his enemy through the wooden door of a nearby shop. It seemed the full brunt hadn't reached this part just yet but she could hear and feel them coming.
 
“I'd say I was glad you could join in the fight my sweet Cherry Blossom…but it looks as if you've already started.”
 
Sakura pushed the strands of pink hair that stuck to the blood on her face out of the way as she nodded her head at him in reply.
 
“There's a large group headed this way from the roof and the ground.”
 
Genma sucked his teeth with the metal weapon still dangling from his mouth.
 
“Hmph, I wouldn't expect anything less. How about you and me find a nice quiet spot together when this is all over?”
 
Sakura couldn't believe the man's ability to flirt even in their current situation. She rolled her eyes as a masked face ran across her mind's eye. Sakura smirked as she spoke.
 
“Sorry Genma but I don't believe you'd be able to live up to my expectations…not after last night…'
 
"Trust me babe, there's not a man alive that could compete with my skills."
 
Sakura shook her head.
 
"Trust me on this one."
 
Genma sucked his teeth again as a shower of shuriken rained down on them.
 
"Let's show them how those in the summer of their lives do things here in Konoha my friends!"
 
Gai disappeared in a blur and reappeared again with his enemy crushed between his fist and the wall of a restaurant. Anko cackled evilly next to the green leotard wearing man.
 
"Finally we get some damn action around here!"
 
A Cloud ninja tried to do a quicksand genjutsu on the dango obsessed woman. Without a second thought Anko bit down hard on her bottom lip. The genjutsu promptly disappeared and the trench coat wearing kunoichi bared her blood covered teeth at her enemy. Her own blood ran down her lips and chin as she yelled out.
 
"Seneijashu!" (Hidden Shadow Snake Hand)
 
Venomous snakes shot out from underneath her right sleeve and wrapped around her victim's throat and both sets of his arms before biting down on the man's exposed skin. Anko followed her move up with a bone crushing kick to the man's sternum.
 
Asuma was like a rabid whirlwind with his signature trech knives looped over his knuckles. He cut a throat here and a chest there as he twirled and flipped, all the while his trademark cigarette still rested easily between his lips.
 
"Hien!" (Flying Swallow)
 
Asuma charged at his next enemy and appeared to miss, but instead his chakra seemed to extend the blades of his brass knuckle like weapon and delivered a fatal blow to the man's chest. Asuma quickly ripped his weapon from the Cloud ninja's heart.
 
"Kokuangyo no Jutsu!" (Bringer-of-Darkness Technique)
 
Kurenai's opponent was suddenly surrounded by a veil of darkness. The poor bastard couldn't even see her attack until the kunai had already sunk deep into his chest.
 
Sakura's fist collided with the under side of her attacker's chin. The man went flying up into the air and then down the street creating a long gash in the road. Two more attackers came at her. Sakura flew up into the air with her one leg almost completely touching her forehead.
 
"TsutenKyaku!" (Painful Sky Leg)
 
The back of Sakura's heels smashed into the top of both men's head killing them instantly as a crater was formed beneath their feet. The incoming Cloud and Sound shinobi were caught in the blast and thrown back. Sakura's hands fell to the ground and she performed a handspring back to a standing position.
 
The enemies just continued to come, wave after wave. Soon even their position in the main street had been over run and it was time to fall back again. How much longer would Konoha hold, how much longer could Sakura hold out? Only time would tell, but one thing was sure. The battle had only just begun.
 
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
 
Authors Note:
 
I'm convinced that there's an evil monkey inside the "uploading document thingy" here that loves to make your life miserable by taking out spaces between words in your work. ..shakes fist.. You will rue the day you damn dirty ape!
 
I hope this doesn't seem too rushed. I wanted to get out what little I already had.
 
Not much Kakashi in this one because the enemy hasn't made it to his position just yet, oh but they will.