Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
Eventual Harry and Neji pairing but it will take a while.
 
Chapter 7
 
 
Hiroshi wandered the streets aimlessly, getting a feel for his new home. Everything was so different to what he was used to, even in the wizarding world. Seeing people running across the rooftops had definitely been an eye opener! Iruka had left that morning for school after giving him a key to the house and directions to the Academy if he needed to find his cousin. He smiled as he found a library and walked up the stairs, if only Hermione could see him now. He needed to learn as much as he could about this strange place, his home for the foreseeable future and he couldn't rely solely on Iruka for that information. Hence the library.
 
The building was larger than Hogwarts library and felt far more modern to his relief. He strolled through the aisles of scrolls and books aimlessly, getting a feel for the place and silently observing the other patrons. There were quite a few shinobi as well as civilians going about their business and ignoring each other's presence for the most part.
 
“Can I help you young man?” Harry started and spun around to find a rather amused looking older woman watching him. He forced his heart rate back to something approaching normal and smiled.
 
“Yes please ma'am. I am interested in history, especially that of Konoha.” He fought the urge to fidget as the woman studied him.
 
“I've never seen you here before.” She stated and Hiroshi could feel a few shinobi drift closer.
 
“No ma'am. I just moved here to live with my cousin.” He answered truthfully.
 
“Really, welcome to Konoha…”
 
“Umino Hiroshi.” He gave a polite bow and the woman smiled.
 
“I didn't know Iruka-sensei had any family.”
 
“I'm all that's left. We're actually second cousins, his aunt was my grandmother. My guardians died recently and Hatake-san was kind enough to escort me to Konoha. That's why I'm in here. I want to learn as much as I can about my new home.” Hiroshi smiled brightly at the librarian. The woman smiled back and beckoned for him to follow her, the shinobi drifting away again although several shot interested looks at him as they did.
 
--------------------------------------------
Ibiki moved to the side as an angry mother darted past after her son and promptly collided with something soft. He didn't even stagger from the impact but looked down as he heard a thud and the sound of someone exhaling in shock. Sprawled at his feet was a dark haired teen looking up at him a bit dazed. The boy was familiar but he wasn't sure why. Reaching down he helped the teen up and went to continue walking.
 
“You know it's polite to say sorry when you knock someone over.” Ibiki stopped, stunned as the teen spoke. He turned back to see flashing green eyes and then realised why the boy was familiar. He stared at the teenager and raised an eyebrow; very few people would talk like that to him even not knowing his position. His appearance was rather daunting but Iruka's cousin hadn't flinched in the slightest. Ibiki could see the gathering crowd, all gawking at the teen in shock. Emerald eyes flickered from him to the crowd and the slightest of smirks touched the teens lips, just enough for him to see but no one else.
 
“True, but you did walk into me…?” Ibiki countered, finding himself enjoying their little encounter.
 
“Why should I tell you my name when I don't know yours?” The teen asked almost cheekily.
 
“Morino Ibiki, Special Jounin.” He answered, deciding to humour the kid. He was surprised to see him wandering the village alone but Iruka did have to teach.
 
“Umino Hiroshi. And you walked into me, not the other way round.” The teen once again countered. Ibiki felt a flash of surprise at the name but it made sense, the one he had given Kakashi would stand out a lot.
 
“Well Roshi I suggest watching where you're going from now.” With that he walked off, smirking smugly.
 
“Roshi? Hey get back here!” The teen yelled indignantly causing the crowd to laugh as they dispersed. To Ibiki's surprise the teen caught up to him again and simply walked beside him, studying him openly.
 
“What?”
 
“You still haven't apologised.” Hiroshi stated simply but there was a mischievous look in his eyes.
 
“You're not going to give up are you?” Ibiki asked, amused by the teens actions. He didn't trust the kid, not with the little they knew about him but he was interesting and so far harmless, at least to them.
 
“Nope.” Hiroshi flashed him a smile, clearly enjoying himself, something that Ibiki found odd but also nice. He was used to people being nervous around him but he couldn't sense any fear in the teen. Green eyes stared at him for a few seconds before Hiroshi smiled widely.
“You're not that scary Morino-san.” Ibiki blinked, remembering what Kakashi had told them and blanked his thoughts. Hiroshi chuckled softly.
“I wasn't reading you sir, I could see it in your eyes.”
 
“I'm meant to be scary kid, it's my job.”
 
“So? Be scary at work and be yourself everywhere else.” Hiroshi shrugged.
 
“You're one weird kid.” He commented making the teen laugh.
 
“You're hardly the first to say that. Don't suppose you know the way to Iruka's house from here? I think I'm lost.” Ibiki pointed him in the right direction.
“Thanks, nice meeting you even if you still haven't apologised.” With that Hiroshi took off towards Iruka's, leaving behind a very amused interrogation expert. He'd heard about the teen's reaction to the Anbu guards and how he had reacted to Iruka seeing his scars and yet the teen he had just met seemed completely different. But so did the teen Kakashi had described. It seemed that Harry, now Hiroshi, was a puzzle. The teen had been playing with him, not really serious about an apology but just having fun and seeing how far he would let it go. But why test his reactions to his playful banter and not someone less intimidating? Or was it because he was intimidating? Shaking those thoughts away he continued walking towards the hokage tower.
 
-------------------------------
Hiroshi shifted nervously as he heard the front door open. He hoped his cousin liked his surprise but he wasn't sure he would. But it was the only thing he could think of doing to say thanks.
 
“Hiroshi? You home?” He smiled as Iruka called out to him.
 
“In the kitchen.” He answered. He waited as his cousin entered the room, arms full of paperwork, only to stop and stare at the table.
“I made dinner…to say thank you. I hope it's okay; a lot of it is recipes from England since I don't know much about your food. I think you'll like it.” Harry babbled nervously. Iruka looked over at him and smiled.
 
“It smells delicious and I'm sure it will taste just as good. Mind naming it as we go? I'll just wash up and then we can eat.” Iruka put the papers down and then moved to leave the kitchen put gave Hiroshi's shoulder a gentle squeeze as he passed.
 
“So what did you do today? I hope you weren't too bored.” Iruka asked as they ate. The meal was truly delicious even if he didn't recognise more than half of the dishes.
 
“I had fun. I found a library and spent several hours there reading up on Konoha's history. Even had a fun run in with a shinobi.” Hiroshi smiled at the memory of the teasing conversation.
 
“Really? Who?”
 
“Morino Ibiki.” Hiroshi raised an eyebrow as his cousin began choking.
“What's wrong?”
 
“A fun run in? He didn't scare you or anything did he?”
 
“Nope. He ran into me and knocked me over but it was an accident and he helped me back up. Never apologised though so I bugged him. He seemed to be enjoying himself as much as I was and he told me how to get back here since I was lost.” Hiroshi shrugged as he took a bite of his shepards pie. He completely ignored Iruka's incredulous look as he continued to eat.
 
“He didn't scare you at all? Most ninja are nervous around him.” Iruka commented, mentally admitting that he was one of them although not as bad as many were. Hiroshi's hand brushed at his the scar on his forehead before he dropped his hand.
 
“I've seen a lot scarier.” The teen said quietly and they ate the rest if the meal in silence.
 
TBC…