Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 8
 
 
“Hiro, you home?”
 
“In here Iruka.” The teen called and Iruka walked down the hall to Hiroshi's bedroom.
“Did you need something?” Hiro asked, looking up at the door from the scroll he'd been studying.
 
“Actually I was going to ask if you'd like to come with me when I take my class camping next week. There's a genin team going too so it'd give you the chance to get to know some people closer to your age.” Iruka told him as he leant against the doorframe.
 
“Camping?” He thought about it. He'd never been camping before, it could be fun.
“Okay, what do I need?”
 
“Clothes you don't mind getting dirty mainly. You'll share a tent and food is provided. I'll show you what to take later and lend you a pack.”
 
“Okay.”
 
---------------------
Hiroshi smiled as he looked around the Academy yard as parents tried to make sure their children had everything. He felt a stab of pain but pushed it away, there was no point wasting time on what if. The class of ten year olds was excited to be going on the trip, making them difficult to handle. He laughed softly as he saw Iruka trying to break up a fight unsuccessfully.
 
“Yo.” He grinned and looked up into the tree.
 
“Here to see us off Kakashi?” The ninja dropped to stand beside him.
 
“Of course. Here.” He handed Hiroshi a small package.
 
“What's this?”
 
“You need a way to defend yourself if anything happens. Not that it should, it's extremely rare for anything to go wrong on these trips but…” Kakashi shrugged and Hiroshi unwrapped the package to reveal a sheathed knife. He looked up at Kakashi in surprise.
“You've used a sword before, knife's got a similar grip but without the reach. Sheath ties around your thigh or calf depending on which you prefer. If you don't want it to be seen you can put it under your pants and slit your pocket. You put your hand in your pocket and come out with a knife.” Kakashi explained. Harry unlaced his boot and secured the sheath before putting his boot back on and taking a few steps to make sure it was comfortable.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“When you get back I'll give you lessons on how to really use it if you want.”
 
“Sounds good.” Kakashi nodded and vanished.
 
“Hiro!” He looked around at his cousins' all before spotting him and jogging over.
“This is the team coming with us. The teams' sensei Yuuhi Kurenai. This is Aburame Shino, Inuzuka Kiba, his partner Akamaru and Hyuuga Hinata. Team 8 this is my cousin, Umino Hiroshi.” Hiroshi smiled and bowed slightly in greeting.
 
“It's a pleasure to meet you.”
 
“It's nice to finally meet you too Hiroshi.” Kurenai said, smiling and her team nodded.
 
“Now that you're here we should round up the kids and get started.”
 
------------------------
Hinata watched as a figure staggered from one of the tents to retch into the bushes. Worried she left her post and approached, recognising Iruka-sensei's cousin as she got closer.
 
“Are you alright Umino-san?” He jumped, eyes wide and breath ragged. Now really worried she stepped closer but he stumbled back.
“Should I get Iruka-sensei?” He didn't answer and Hinata reached out to touch his arm. Hiroshi screamed and threw himself away from her. In an instant the rest of her team and Iruka were out of their tents and ready to fight.
 
“Hinata?” Kurenai called out.
 
“It's Umino-san.” She answered and Iruka ran over.
 
“Hiro? It's okay, it's just me. I won't hurt you.” He soothed as he knelt in front of the terrified teen.
 
“Iruka?”
 
“Could you please check on the children Kurenai? They may have been scared by his scream.”
 
“Is everything all right?” She looked at the pale, shaking teen in concern.
 
“Looks like another nightmare, we'll be okay.” She nodded and directed her team to check on the students. Iruka slowly pulled Hiroshi into his arms, soothing him gently. He wished Hiro would talk about the dreams but the teen refused and they had become less frequent over the last two months.
 
“Iruka?” He looked down and smiled at the groggy teenager.
 
“It's okay Hiro.” He kept smiling even though he doubted Hiro could see much in the dark. The teen looked around and noticed the movement around the camp.
 
“Sorry.” Hiroshi ducked his head.
 
“Don't be. Do you want to swap tents and stay with me?” Hiro shook his head.
 
“I'll be okay.”
 
“You sure?” Hiroshi nodded.
“Okay.” He stood and helped his cousin up, moving towards the fire. Team 8 looked over at them and Hiro looked away, embarrassed.
 
“Sorry for waking you.” He apologised softly.
 
“It's no problem Hiroshi.” Kurenai assured him.
“It was time for Kiba to take watch anyway.”
 
“Are you all right no Umino -san?” Hinata asked quietly and Hiro nodded.
 
“Call me Hiroshi or Hiro please.” She smiled and nodded. He took the mug Iruka handed him and sipped the tea, sighing as it helped settle his stomach.
 
-------------------------
Hiroshi laughed as he splashed and played in the river with the students. Kiba grinned as he dunked him and then yelped as Hiro pulled him under as well. The two teens surfaced laughing. Hiro was really enjoying the chance to act his age.
 
Iruka smiled as he watched them play. Kurenai walked over from the camp and sat beside him to watch.
 
“I've never seen him this happy and…well childlike before.” He said softly.
 
“His eyes are too old for his age.” She commented.
“I never knew you had any living family.”
 
“Neither did I till Hiro showed up. My aunt left Konoha years before I was born and was never heard from again. After his family were killed he came looking for me.”
 
“Did he see them die, is that why he has nightmares?”
 
“He was in town when it happened, got home to find the house no longer standing. He doesn't talk much about anything before coming to Konoha but I know my cousin and her family never wanted to take him in after his parents died. It's hard, I want to help but he won't let me in.”
 
“Give it time. If the rest of the family didn't want him he could be having trouble adjusting to the fact that you do.”
 
“Maybe. It's just…Kakashi and Tsunade-sama know more about my own cousin than I do and no one will tell me anything.” He sighed, watching as Hiro and three of the children tackled Kiba, laughing the whole time.
 
-------------------------
Hiroshi sat on the floor of his room, relaxing as much as he could. He closed his eyes and focused on his magic, trying to find it. He hated being helpless without his wand, which was still in Sound, if it hadn't been destroyed. He knew wandless magic was possible, he'd done it himself a few times and seen Dumbledore and Voldemort use it too. But it was very draining to do so. Never the less he was determined to learn, he would not be left with only a knife for defence if attacked.
 
Vespillo watched her master from her place in the sun on his desk. She could feel the power flowing around and through him. It was different to the type used by her old master and the humans here used, older and more comforting, at least to her. She hissed as it reached out to twine around her as well. Suddenly she could feel what her master felt and could `feel' where he was without using her senses.
 
$Harry.$ She hissed, gaining his attention.
 
$What is it Ves?$ He asked as he blinked.
 
$Something happened, I can feel you.$
 
Hiroshi's eyes widened in surprise. She could feel him? He thought about it and then smiled, somehow he'd accidentally bonded Ves as his familiar. Hedwig would not be happy with him having another familiar but hopefully she'd accept it, eventually. Pity there wasn't a wand maker around since using a part of your familiar was meant to make the bond between your wand and magic stronger.
 
------------------------------
“Hello Hiroshi.” He turned and smiled.
 
“Hey Hinata, day off?” He fell into step beside her.
 
“Yes, Kurenai-sensei has a mission.”
 
“Care to join me for lunch then? Iruka had to work at the missions office today.”
 
“I'm meeting the other rookies for lunch.”
 
“Okay.” Hiro shrugged, a little lonely but he'd find something to do.
 
“They wouldn't mind if you came. They've been wanting to meet you.” She continued softly.
 
“Lead on.” Hinata giggled as he offered his arm but took it, leading him to Choji's favourite barbecue restaurant.
 
“Hey Hinata, over here! Hiroshi! Grab a seat!” Kiba yelled as he spotted them.
“Guys this is Umino Hiroshi, Iruka-sensei's cousin.” Kiba told the rest of the group.
“You already know our team. That's Nara Shikamaru, Akimichi Choji, Yamanaka Ino and Haruno Sakura.”
 
“Nice to meet you all.”
 
“Team 9 were meant to be here too but they got a last minute mission.” Sakura told them. Hiro sat back and let their chatter wash over him. It was nice being with people nearly his age but they still didn't really have anything in common.
 
“Hey Hiroshi, how old are you?” Ino asked and he blinked in surprise.
 
“Sixteen.”
 
“No way! You're two years older than us? No offence but you don't look it.” Kiba said and Hiro shrugged.
 
“Iruka's the tallest family member I've seen. There…well there wasn't always a lot to eat when I was little.” He added softly and Sakura nodded.
 
“A lack of proper food at a young age would have stunted your growth.” He looked at her, curious and she blushed slightly.
“Sorry, I'm training as a medicnin.”
 
“Sounds interesting.” Hiroshi smiled at her.
 
“So you're not a ninja?” Ino asked.
 
“No, there weren't any ninja villages around and my family needed the help on the farm.” He lied.
 
“So you don't know anything about fighting?” She asked in surprise, he was different to most of the boys she knew in that case.
 
“Not really, other than the normal tussling boys tend to do. Though my cousin was several times my size so those fights were more than a little uneven.” He grimaced slightly, remembering all the injuries Dudley had given him over the years.
 
“How do you like Konoha so far?” Sakura asked, catching his expression.
 
“It's different. Got the shock of my life the first time I saw people running across the rooftops.” They all laughed at that.
“I like it. I've been spending a bit of time at the library, learning what I can.”
 
“Want to know anything book wise ask Sakura.” Ino teased making Sakura blush again and Hiro smiled ever so slightly. Seemed there was a Hermione in every group. Hiroshi politely thanked the waitress that delivered the food and dug in with the others. He excused himself an hour later and began leaving the restaurant.
 
“Hey Hiro!” He turned back.
“We usually get together once a week, you're welcome to join us.” Kiba called out and Hiroshi nodded and waved. They were a good group, friendly and loyal though he could see it in their eyes, someone had betrayed them.
 
TBC…