Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ CHapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 9
 
 
Kakashi smiled as Hiro scrambled back to his feet. The teen was a fast learner but his past malnourishment slowed his progress. He was beginning to put on weight now and he could see some firmer muscle developing now that he had started teaching him to defend himself. One thing he seemed to share in common with Kakashi's blonde student was his ability to take a hit and get back up, neither teen seemed to know the meaning of thew word quit. Of course from what Hiroshi had told him if he had ever quit then he would be dead. That was part of the reason he wanted the teen to know how to fight, he doubted Hiro's past would stay in the past and the youngest Umino would need every advantage he could get. He wondered idly if he could get the Hokage to agree to having Hiroshi fully trained as a ninja. He winced, he had the feeling if he did Iruka's blow up at the Chuunin exam meeting would seem minor compared to what he'd do if he found out his lover wanted his cousin to be a ninja. But Iruka didn't know the full story behind Hiroshi's appearance in the elemental countries.
 
“Break for now.” He called and Hiro nodded and sat beneath a tree. Kakashi joined him and they both sipped from canteens.
“Mind if I ask something?”
 
“Go ahead.” Hiro said, breathing heavily.
 
“Why haven't you told Iruka?” Kakashi felt Hiro tense beside him and frowned slightly.
 
“Told him what?” Hiro asked softly.
 
“The truth about your past.” Kakashi said, making sure Hiro couldn't purposely misunderstand him. The teen looked away; staring off into the trees, whole body tense.
 
“He doesn't need to know.” Hiro stated coolly.
 
“Doesn't he? And if that past finds you here? What then?”
 
“If it does I'll deal with it. I won't let them hurt him.” Harry growled.
 
“And you don't think learning about it that way will hurt him?” Kakashi sighed.
“He cares about you Harry, all he wants to do is help you but you keep everyone at arms length.” Emerald eyes widened in shock at the use of the name he had given up upon moving to Konoha but then narrowed slightly.
 
“He can't get involved and he'll want to if he knows. I won't loose him too.” He stated fiercely, hands clenched into fists. Kakashi shifted slightly as he noticed the wind picking up unnaturally, realising it was due to Hiro's emotions.
 
“He is a ninja Hiro, he can take care of himself.” Kakashi said.
 
“My father and godfather were Aurors, didn't stop them dieing because of me.” Hiro told him bitterly.
 
“True but it was their choice. You're not giving Iruka a choice Hiro. Isn't it more dangerous leaving him ignorant? What if they show up looking for you? Iruka would have no idea what to expect. That would get him killed a lot quicker than knowing what to expect.” Hiro swallowed and stared stubbornly at the ground.
“Or is there another reason…” Kakashi trailed off as he remembered the little Hiro had told them of his other relatives.
“He won't turn his back on you because you're a wizard. He…well lets just say no one would blame him for hating Naruto and yet he cares for him as if he were his brother or son. Iruka is one of the most caring people I know. Magic won't change that.” Kakashi moved ever so slightly so that they were just touching. He could feel the tension and fear in the way Hiro held himself and groaned mentally. If anyone saw what he was about to do it would completely ruin his reputation of being distant towards everyone. Moving quickly he grabbed the teen and pulled him into his arms, hugging him tightly. Hiro struggled against him for a bit before finally going limp, silent tears falling from his eyes.
 
--------------------------------
Iruka looked up and smiled as his cousin entered the room but his smile faded quickly as he got a look at the teens face. He was on his feet and across the room in seconds to kneel beside the teen.
 
“Hiro? What happened? Are you alright?” He searched for wounds but couldn't find any much to his relief. Hiro nodded slowly, staring at the ground.
“Hiro?”
 
“He's right. It's not fare to you.” Hiro whispered.
 
“Who's right?” Iruka asked in confusion.
 
“Kakashi.” Hiro still refused to look at him. Iruka sighed and grasped his arm, pulling him towards the couch and then gently pushing him down onto it, taking a seat next to him.
 
“What did Kakashi say to you? You know to ignore most of what that idiot says.” Iruka smiled and brushed Hiro's hair out of his eyes.
 
“But he was right. It isn't fare to keep it from you.”
 
“Keep what from me?”
 
“My past.” Iruka blinked in surprise but didn't say anything. Letting Hiro say what he wanted to.
 
------------------------------
Iruka relaxed back into familiar arms but continued to watch Hiro as he slept the most peaceful sleep Iruka had ever seen him have. He turned his head enough to give Kakashi a soft kiss before pulling out of his hold and walking to his own bedroom.
 
“You okay?” Kakashi asked softly as he shut the bedroom door. He moved quickly to Iruka's side as he saw the unshed tears in his lovers eyes.
 
“How…he's been through so much.” Kakashi wrapped the smaller man in his arms and just held him as silent tears fell.
 
“He's strong, a lot stronger than he looks, rather like a certain cousin of his.” Kakashi smiled and wiped the tears from Iruka's face. Iruka smiled slightly at that.
 
“Do you really think they'll find him here?”
 
“Maybe. But if they do they'll have to get through us first. Plus he seems to be making friends with the rookies and they won't just stand by either. We won't them take him, I promise.” Kakashi assured him. Iruka nodded and smiled again before moving to kiss Kakashi. The jounin smiled and pushed Iruka down onto the bed.
 
---------------------
Hiro slowly let his breath out and opened his eyes. He smiled as he let his magic slip from his conscious grip and then stood, brushing his clothes off. He stretched before grabbing his jacket and moving to leave the clearing he had spent the last four hours in. Between his own studies and Kakashi's self-defence training he didn't get to meditate on his magic as much as he'd like but at least it was easier in the clearing than back at the house. Though the atmosphere back home had been a lot lighter the last two weeks, ever since he had taken Kakashi's advice and told Iruka the truth about his past and their family. Iruka had been shocked and horrified by the way he had been treated but he hadn't pushed Hiro away. And for that he would be forever grateful.
 
He headed home but then paused as a distant sound caught his attention. Cursing his curiosity since it had a tendency to get him into trouble he changed direction and headed towards the noise. He crouched behind a bush and watched as a teen dressed in the most awful green spandex he'd ever seen repeatedly punched a pole. He shook his head in amusement at the younger males attire but had to admire his commitment to training as he looked around the clearing. Deciding not to bother the other male he went to leave only to freeze at the feel of cold metal against his throat.
 
“Keep your hands still.” A cold voice said in his ear.
“Stand up.” Hiro stood slowly and then moved into the clearing as his captor pushed him. The teen he'd been watching stopped training to stare at him.
“Who are you and what are you doing here?” Hiro swallowed but made himself relax.
 
“Umino Hiroshi, I heard a noise and was curious. Do you mind letting me go?”
 
“Umino?” The voice questioned.
 
“Iruka is my cousin, I moved to Konoha three months ago. Will you let me go?”
 
“Let him go Neji.” Hiro smiled as he was released.
 
“Nice timing Kakashi.” He said moving away from his captor.
 
“Yes well I hate to think what Iruka would do to me if anything happened to you. For a teacher he's scary.” Kakashi grinned behind his mask and Hiroshi shook his head in amusement. Hiroshi walked over to Kakashi's side and finally got a look at the person that had so recently been threatening his life. Obviously related to Hinata in someway with the same white eyes and dark hair but his was a lot longer than hers. Where Hinata was quiet and shy this teen held himself arrogantly and his face was cold.
“You okay Hiro-kun?” Kakashi asked.
 
“Fine.” One hand went to his throat were the kunai had rested only moments before and he was glad to find it hadn't even broken the skin.
 
“Are you really related to Iruka-sensei?” The one in green asked, eyes wide. Hiro couldn't help but stare for a moment before nodding.
 
“Of course Team 9 has been on a mission. Umino Hiroshi meet half of team 9, Rock Lee and Hyuuga Neji. Hinata is his cousin.” Kakashi explained and Hiro smiled though it was a little shaky.
 
“Pleased to meet you.” He turned back to Kakashi.
“I should get home, it's my night to make diner.” With that he left the clearing, able to feel cool eyes watching his every move.
 
-----------------------------
“You look a bit shaky.” Iruka commented as they ate.
 
“Had a run in with Team 9 that ended with a kunai at my throat.”
 
“WHAT!” Iruka had paled at that. He had a pretty good idea who had been holding said kunai too.
 
“I heard a noise and was curious. Next time I think I'll keep walking. Kakashi showed up so everything was okay.”
 
“It was Hyuuga Neji wasn't it?”
 
“Yeah. But he didn't hurt me, not even a scratch.” Hiro shrugged, standing to wash the dishes.
“Hey Kakashi, there's leftovers in the fridge if you want them.” Hiro said startling Iruka.
 
“How is it you can tell when I'm around and yet Neji snuck up on you?” The jounin asked as he got the plate of food out after kissing Iruka hello. Hiro shrugged as he dried the dishes.
 
“I know you plus I was distracted by the umm well weird outfit Rock-san was wearing.” At that both Kakashi and Iruka laughed.
 
“Wait till you meet his sensei.” Looking between the two men Hiro shuddered.
 
“I get the feeling I don't want to. Night.”
 
TBC…