Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
 
Chapter 10
 
Hiroshi grinned as he all but danced around his clearing. He could hear Vespillo's amused hissing from a nearby tree branch but honestly didn't care how much of an idiot he looked at the moment. He'd done it!! Still giddy with success he held out his hand, aiming at a fallen branch.
 
“Wingardium Leviosa.” He said and the branch began to rise up. He knew he was grinning like an idiot but hey; who wouldn't be if after four and a half months they'd finally managed a spell, wandlessly.
“Come on Ves lets head home, I think I should cook Iruka dinner tonight.” He told his familiar, still grinning. The snake hissed her agreement and headed off through the trees. Having energy to burn Hiro took off at a flat out run towards home.
 
----------------------------
Iruka couldn't help but stare at the sight that greeted him when he got home that night.
 
“Hiro?” He called and nearly jumped, as his cousin seemed to appear out of nowhere.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Are we having people over for dinner?” Iruka asked cautiously, eyeing the heavily burdened table.
 
“Nope, just us.” Hiro answered as he put the last of the food on the table. Hiro looked at the table and then blushed.
“Oops?”
 
“So what has you in such a good mood?” Iruka suddenly wanted to run as he saw the mischievous smirk that suddenly appeared on Hiro's face.
 
Kakashi froze for a split second on the doorstep as a terrified shriek reached him.
 
“HIROSHI PUT ME DOWN!!” He kicked the door in and tore into the house only to stop and stare in disbelief at the sight that greeted him. Seeing Iruka flailing around in mid air he couldn't help his next reaction.
 
Hiro nearly dropped his cousin as the sound of someone laughing their head off reached him. Turning quickly he grinned at Kakashi before gently lowering Iruka back to the floor.
 
“Hey Kakashi, want to stay for dinner?” Hiro asked happily and Kakashi blinked, well it was more like a wink, at the sight of all the food on the table. Hiro gave a small nervous laugh.
“I felt like cooking.” He shrugged.
 
“For what army?” Kakashi asked as he went to put the front door back where it belonged.
 
“Ummm, I don't know why I cooked that much really. I just started and this happened.” Hiro blushed and the two men laughed at him.
 
------------------------------
“I've never seen Hiro like that.” Kakashi said later that night. Iruka smiled and cuddled closer.
 
“The closest I've seen was on the camping trip when he was playing with the students and Kiba. He's really happy to finally be making headway with his magic.”
 
“I think I know why.” Kakashi said softly, wrapping his arms tighter around Iruka. It wasn't often they just got to cuddle like this and Kakashi knew he'd have to leave in a few hours but it felt so good.
“It's because he's been defenceless. Without a wand and easy access to his magic he's had to rely on others for safety, something he's not used to. On top of that he'd seen his godfather die, came home to find said home gone and then spent time as a pris…. forget that last bit. He's had it very rough and for his people has been all but defenceless even with the training I've been giving him. But now he's found a way to tap into his magic again. Sure it's going to take him time to figure out how to use it efficiently and all but it is a start. I think we're going to be in for an interesting time as his confidence grows.” Kakashi chuckled and Iruka smiled.
 
“Could be interesting. I'm just glad he's finally happier. Still, that doesn't explain some of the looks you've been giving him lately.”
 
“It's nothing! Absolutely nothing!” Kakashi insisted quickly, a little too quickly.
 
“Kakashi…” Iruka growled and his lover swallowed.
 
“It was just a passing thought and all so please don't kill me. And I'm not going to suggest it or anything.”
 
“Kakashi just tell me.”
 
“Okay so it crossed my mind that seeing if he could be trained as a ninja would give him a better chance against the other wizards but it was just a passing thought I swear.” Iruka went silent and still.
“Ruka?” Kakashi asked nervously, ready to be yelled at, kicked out or even killed due to one protective chuunin but to his surprise Iruka wrapped his arms around him tightly and buried his head in his chest.
“Iruka, love?”
 
“I hate it but you're right.” His lovers answer shocked him but he didn't say anything, just hugged him close.
“The thought of Hiroshi as a ninja scares me, he's already been through so much but it would give him an edge against other wizards.”
 
“I'll talk to him about it tomorrow during training.” Kakashi said and Iruka nodded before moving to kiss him softly.
 
----------------------------------
“Kakashi?” Iruka looked at the other shinobi worriedly. Though his face was covered as usual Iruka could still see the surprise and shock on his lovers face.
 
“He said no.” Iruka blinked. What?
“Hiro said no to the training.” Kakashi said and Iruka felt something inside relax even though his cousins' answer confused him.
 
“Did he say why?” Iruka asked, curious about Hiro's reasons.
 
“He said that he is going to fight them as a wizard when the time comes and not as anything else.” Kakashi shrugged, it was the teens' choice after all.
 
“But…” Iruka sighed and nodded, he knew Hiro had made his choice and there was nothing they could do to change his mind.
 
----------------------------
Hiro laughed as he watched Kiba and Akamaru fooling around. He grinned at Hinata who was giggling shyly behind her hand. The whole of the Rookie 9 that remained in the village plus team Gai had gathered for their weekly get together and team 8 had made it their mission to drag Hiro along not that he had really complained about it. He had accepted Lee's rather exuberant apologies on behalf of his teammate for their last meeting even while Neji himself simply stared coldly. Hiro honestly couldn't see how Hinata and Neji were related with their very different attitudes and personalities. It was nice that the younger teens wanted to include him in their activities even if he just sat and watched as they sparred and had mock battles. One of the girls always sat out to keep him company though he didn't mind watching alone it was nice that they didn't want him to be. It was odd and very different to what he was used to where people only hung around him because of his fame.
 
Hiro didn't regret turning down Kakashi's offer. He had enough blood on his hands already and he could see the shadows in these teens' eyes. Knowledge and memories no one their age should be forced to carry. He knew that one day he would have to go back, that one day he would have to face him and only one of them would walk away from that fight but when that day came it would be wizard versus wizard. Yes he was meant to have the power the Dark Lord knew not but something inside was telling him that being a shinobi wasn't it. So he would continue his self defence lessons with Kakashi and his own magical training for now and enjoy the chance to be free for once. Because Hiro knew that it wouldn't last forever, they'd find him eventually.
 
TBC…