Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chspter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
fsdfff” English.
 
Chapter 11
 
 
Hiro stood facing Kakashi, hands empty and relaxed at his sides. The older man was holding a single kunai and for once not reading his book, instead his focus was locked on the teen. Suddenly Kakashi moved, hurtling towards Hiro, kunai raised. The teen dropped, rolling out of the way, his wand hand coming up.
 
“Expelliarmus.” Kakashi dodged the spell and came at him again.
“Petrificus Totalus.” This time the spell connected and Kakashi hit the ground, his body rigid. Hiro as instructed left the curse on to see if Kakashi could find a way to throw it off. It took a bit but his body suddenly relaxed and then the older man was back on his feet.
“So it worked?”
 
“Yeah. Took a lot though.” Kakashi admitted.
 
“And I'm only technically a fifth year student, they'll have more power behind their spells.” Hiro warned him, sitting down since wandless magic was a lot more draining than if he had his wand.
“I want my wand back.” He admitted.
 
“It makes that much of a difference?” Kakashi asked, curious.
 
“Yeah, most people can't really do anything without one. It's exhausting and takes more focus and power. I'm putting almost three times more effort into these spells than I ever used to have to. Unfortunately I don't think I can summon something from that far away.” Hiro shrugged and Kakashi nodded before offering him a rice ball.
“We should drag Iruka out here for this. If…well he'll be a big target.”
 
“I want to work on it for a while longer. Figure out if there's an easier way to throw off your spells. Iruka's good but his chakra stores are nowhere near mine.”
 
-----------------------------------
Hiro stood up, looking around for what had disturbed his meditation. He yelped as something dive-bombed him, hooting angrily. He froze and then smiled widely.
 
Hedwig! Hey, stop it girl! I'm sorry! Will you stop it already!” Hiro ducked and dodged as best he could as the irate bird continued to attack. He didn't blame her for being mad but this was just ridiculous.
Come on girl, let me explain!” He pleaded. Finally, after nearly ten minutes of merciless attacking she stopped and settled on a branch just out of his reach, glaring down at him angrily. Hiro sighed but couldn't help smiling at his first real friend. He sat down at the base of her tree and settled in for a long talk trying to calm his familiar down.
I never meant to leave you behind but everything happened so quickly. If I hadn't sent you to Moony for the summer you would have died with the Dursley's. I spent the first few days here in a cell in another village; I don't want to even think what they would have done to you girl. I know you think you have to always look after me but this way at least you were safe. Konoha's a great place Hedwig and I have family here, real family. He doesn't care about magic or that I have a maniac after me. I know I have to go back one day but for now I have a place to live and train in peace. You understand, don't you?” He smiled as she gave a reluctant hoot, holding out his arm to her. The snowy owl flew down and walked up his arm to settle on his shoulder, preening his hair diligently. He laughed and gently stroked her feathers.
I missed you too.” What he failed to notice were the pale eyes watching the entire encounter.
 
-------------------------------
“Hiro, why is there an owl in the lounge room?” Hiro smiled at Iruka and held his arm out, Hedwig obediently flying over to rest on it.
 
“This is Hedwig, she was the very first gift I ever received. She finally tracked me down and was none to happy about being left behind.”
 
“Someone gave you an owl?” Iruka asked not quite believing it then again wizards seemed to have a few weird customs.
 
“Yeah. We use them for delivering mail and they make great friends.” Hiro explained, strolling the soft feathers.
Hedwig this is my cousin Iruka.” He extended his arm towards Iruka who just stood there uncertainly.
“Hold out your arm.” Slowly he did so and the owl moved to his arm and up to his shoulder. He jumped slightly as his ear was nipped before she settled in to preening his hair. Hiroshi laughed at the sight, glad that Hedwig liked Iruka. He smiled as he thought of her meeting Kakashi, maybe she'd think he was a relative with his hair colour. The thought of having her attack whenever Kakashi took out a certain book was very tempting.
 
“So where exactly is she staying?” Iruka finally asked.
 
“My room.”
 
“With Ves? Are you sure that's smart?”
 
“Sure, they'll keep each other company.”
 
“Aren't you worried about Ves eating Hedwig?” Iruka looked at Hiro like he was crazy.
 
“I'd like to see her try, she'd more than likely get her eyes clawed out. Making a perch for her will give me the chance to practise transfiguration.”
 
-----------------
Neji paused and then entered the clearing, watching the older teen closely but he gave no sign that he new the shinobi was there. He ducked as a white blur dove at him and that got the youngest Umino's attention.
 
“Hedwig stop.” He called and the blur, a white owl, settled onto a branch above the green eyed teen.
“Sorry about that Neji, she can be a bit over protective at times.” Hiroshi smiled at him and stood up. Neji nodded stiffly, watching the other boy closely. He found the older teen puzzling. There were times when he would almost swear that Hiroshi was a shinobi with how silently he could move and the shadows he would glimpse in his eyes and others when he was simply a teenager with a previously bad family life. Since they'd first met three months ago Hiroshi had changed a bit physically, no longer looking unhealthily thin he was beginning to fill out a bit and gaining some muscle definition as well which Neji knew was from some light training curtesy of Kakashi. But after seeing him that day with the owl that had just attacked him he had become even more intrigued. Because the other boy had been speaking a language he had never heard of before. That naturally made Neji suspicious of him. He'd learnt from the others that not even Iruka had known of his existence until he had suddenly shown up claiming to be Iruka's cousin and that the rest of the family had just been killed.
“Um, hello?” Neji focused on Hiroshi, mad at himself for getting that lost in thought.
 
“She?”
 
“Yeah, Neji this is Hedwig my oldest friend. She got left behind the mess when I left home and caught up a few days ago. She's being a bit overprotective at the moment.” Hiro stroked the soft feathers gently and then the bird moved to his arm and Neji stayed still as Hiroshi approached.
“Go on, she won't bite.” Hiro smiled at him and Neji found himself petting the soft feathers, Hedwig soaking up the attention. He felt his lips turn up in small smile as he petted the white owl making Hiro's smile widen.
 
TBC…