Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 23

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them.
I've lost track of how much time has past instory! I know Harry was 16 when it started and that it's been around a year since he rescued Kakashi, add in the time spent in Konoha before hand and...I'm going to say he's just 18 which makes Naruto and co 16 and Neji's group 17. So sorry if Naruto's been gone training longer than he should have but since this is definitely AU it doesn't really matter.
 
Chapter 23
 
Hedwig flying by and tilting her wing let him know there was someone up ahead on the path just out if his range. She wasn't agitated so there was no obvious threat and this close to the village things should be fairly safe but he had just spent the last nine months in a war so he made sure sword, knife and wand were in easy reach as he continued to walk. It was twilight now but since bonding with his three familiars his sight had improved to where it wasn't a problem. It was nice not having to rely on something so easily lost as glasses. He spotted a small camp just off the side of the path and decided to approach, worse came to worse he could apparated. Ves, Hedwig and Fawkes were spread out and keeping their distance so as not to draw attention to him. A small frown flittered across his face as he spotted the two males sitting at the fire, something was tugging at his memory but he ignored it for now.
 
“Hello.” He called out and both males turned to him. The white haired man wasn't at all familiar but the blonde... He smiled, maybe that would save him from Iruka's rant. He could see suspicion in the older man's eyes and couldn't blame him. Hiroshi held himself like a warrior but had nothing on him to identify a village allegiance.
“Mind if I share your camp?” He asked, making sure to keep his hands away from his weapons and his tone friendly.
 
“Who are you?” the older man asked.
 
“Usually it's polite to give your own name first but as I am the one asking to stay...Umino Hiroshi. And if I'm not mistaken you are Uzumaki Naruto.” He grinned at the blonde who looked surprised.
 
“Umino? Are you related to Iruka-sensei?” Naruto asked and Hiro nodded.
 
“His cousin. I recognised you from the photo he has and the fact he talks about you, a lot.”
 
“Jiraiya.” The older man finally gave his name and Hiro nodded.
“Take a seat.” Hiro sat down across the fire from them.
“So what are you doing out here?”
 
“Heading back to Konoha. I had some...business to attend to back home. Though I guess Konoha's more home than that place ever was.” Hiroshi shrugged. He could feel Jiraiya's suspicion but he didn't really mind too much, he was too busy laughing as Naruto described a prank that had made his cousin more than a little mad. They spent the next hour making small talk before deciding it was time to sleep.
 
“I'll take first watch, Naruto you'll take second. Do you know how to stand watch?” At Hiroshi's nod Jiraiya's gaze sharpened a little.
“You can take last watch then. We'll leave at seven. Do you want to accompany us?”
 
“Sure. Wake me for my watch.” Hiro answered, rolling out his sleeping bag and laying close to the fire.
 
-------------------------------
Jiraiya watched Hiroshi and Naruto as the two walked ahead of him, talking animatedly about something. He'd never heard of Naruto's first teacher having any family, from what he knew the man's family had been killed by the Kyuubi. It was possible the man had distant family elsewhere though. The boy wore no village symbol but definitely knew how to fight; he carried a sword and obviously knew how to use it. He'd only asked the young man to accompany them to make sure he wasn't a threat.
 
Seeing the village gates Jiraiya smiled. He then laughed as Naruto grabbed Hiroshi's hand and began dragging the older boy towards the village until he managed to start running beside the blonde. Seeing the pure joy on both teens' faces was a treat and made him think that Konoha might just be Hiroshi's home after all.
 
“Naruto!” Came a shout of joy and a pink haired missile knocked the blonde over, leaving Hiroshi doubled over in laughter.
 
“I think you should let him up Sakura.” Hiroshi held out a hand and she stared in shock.
 
“Hiro! You're back!” then it was his turn to be knocked to the ground.
 
“Nice to see you too Sakura.” Hiro laughed and pushed her off.
 
“You know Hiroshi, Sakura?” Naruto asked and she nodded.
 
“Sure. All the Rookie Nine do and Team 9. Do you know how much trouble you're in? Iruka-sensei yelled for days when he found you were gone! Is it...is it over?” She asked, suddenly getting quiet and then Hiro smiled at her and she laughed, hugging him.
 
“It's done.” Hiro whispered, leaving Naruto and Jiraiya confused. Sakura stepped back, grabbed each boys hand and then began dragging the two through the village and towards the Hokage's tower.
 
---------------------------
Tsunade looked up as her door flew open only to stare in shock at who her apprentice had dragged in. Standing before her were one teen she was beginning to think she'd never see again and her favourite blonde ninja.
 
“Baachan!” Naruto cried, hurtling around the desk to greet her. Hiroshi's greeting was far more subdued.
 
“Hokage-sama.” He bowed slightly.
 
“Good to have you back brat. As for you Hiro, next time tell Iruka in person. I'm pretty sure Suna could hear him shouting.” Hiro shrugged and she took her time studying both teens. Naruto had grown and no longer wore pure orange thankfully. Hiro too had grown to a respectful 5'8” and had lost the hopeless look in his eyes. Though she mentally winced at the few new scars she could see. Looked like they were in for another screaming rant from Iruka.
“Sakura, if you'd send for Iruka please.” She nodded and left.
 
“Couldn't you have waited till later?” Hiro asked nervously.
 
“Oh no, I'm looking forward to this.” She almost purred and Hiro shifted uncomfortably.
“So how did you two meet up?”
 
“Found Naruto and his sensei on the road and asked to share their camp.”
 
“Hiro's been telling me about pranks his Dad used to pull!” Naruto told her, despite Hiro trying to shush him and Tsunade laughed. The door slammed open and Iruka stood there, staring between the two teens, obviously torn over who to greet first. With a small smile Hiro pushed Naruto forward and Iruka grabbed the teen in a bone crushing hug before releasing him and pulling Hiroshi in for one too.
 
“Naruto you can tell me all about your trip over ramen later. As for you young man, you're lucky I can't ground you! A note!!! You left me with a note!” Iruka yelled and Hiro began to edge behind Tsunade, much to her amusement.
 
“I didn't want to disturb you.”
 
“DISTURB ME! You could have died and all I had was a note!” Hiro hung his head, realising that maybe the note hadn't been such a good idea.
 
“Perhaps you should continue this elsewhere.” They all looked at Tsunade and nodded.
“Naruto stay, I need a report on your trip. Hiro I would like the same from you tomorrow.” He nodded and reluctantly followed his cousin out of her office.
 
“So he's really Iruka-sensei's cousin?” Naruto asked and Tsunade nodded.
 
“His family was killed so when he found out he had further family here he came looking. Ran into Kakashi on the road and he led him here. Speaking of Kakashi...” She trailed off, not sure how to tell Naruto what happened to his sensei. Seeing the look on her face Naruto tensed.
 
“Is he....?”
 
“He's alive. He was captured on a mission about a year ago. They had him for a while Naruto. He's a lot better than he was but still not on active duty.” It would be up to Kakashi and Hiro whether or not Naruto learnt the whole story.
 
“So he's okay?” Naruto asked hesitantly.
 
“He's a lot better than he was. Just...just don't startle him too badly. So let's hear about what my old teammates had you up to.”
 
TBC...