Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Sasuke's New Found Love for Sakura ❯ Surprise ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I don’t own Naruto and if I did, believe me, I would’ve added some NejiSaku romance! lol, Enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------


It has been well over a year now that Sasuke has been gone and Sakura just had her 19th birthday.

Naruto had arranged a surprise party at her apartment, gathering everyone from Ino to Kakashi--Gaara couldn’t make it due to Kazekage duties. Anyways, Naruto had cooked up a gigantic pot of mushroom and shrimp ramen and also made several rice cakes. It was a pot-luck. Ino had brought shiitake mushroom soup, Kakashi actually brought with him stir fry, Chouji was more than happy to supply large amounts of salad rolls, and everyone else brought a little something to help with the fiest.

When Sakura came home, it was extremely quiet and once she switched her light on-Naruto came bounding up to her and gave her a tight hug and a sweet peck on the cheek.

“Haha, Happy Bithday, Sakura-chan!” she was wide eyed again and gazed at the amount of people who actually fit in her tiny apartment. She then looked down to meet her eyes with Naruto’s. She opened her mouth but it took her a while to speak in a proper language.

“I…is that?…Huh!….Naruto, thank you so much!” she returned the hug again, and he released her so that Ino can hug her too.

“Happy Birthday, Billboard Brow!” Ino squeezed Sakura and snickered playfully. She knew that Ino didn’t really mean it this time and returned the mock insult.

“Why thank you, Pig!” many more of the guests greeted her and she was being overflowed with each ‘happy birthday.’ She just felt so special, that all of her friends would come out of their way and stay at her little surprise. Sakura had never received so much attention in her life!

The newly aged girl couldn’t stop grinning as she received more hugs than ever. The feeling was so over the top that she could burst out crying just like that-and oh my, how it happened soon.

Just when she thought that she had greeted everyone, her guests started moving out of the way and gave a space in the center of the room. From the back of her living room, her parents were slowly appearing. Tears began to blind her vision of both reasons: good-she was touched that her parents had come to her surprise for their daughter, on the other hand; bad-she was concerned that they might make a whole speech in front of everyone that now she was officially an adult, a young-woman and she must show everyone that she is a woman and not just a child. However, something in her mind just let go of her concerns and faced her parents.

“Mother, Father….thank you for coming..” a tear trembled down her cheek as her mother took her daughter’s hand and kissed it. Her father nestled a hand on her shoulder somewhat assuring her that this time, they weren’t going to scold her. Sakura managed a weak smile as her nightmare began to collide with this wonderful moment, but it came softly.


“My daughter, you are now a strong young lady and now have the responsibility to bring honor to our name. Though your mother and I do not fully approve of you becoming a shinobi, you have grown into a strong woman. We are very much proud of you.” her father had given her both words of caution and delight. She herself, had never heard her parents speak to her this way and her smile grew even wider.

She could only choke back her tears and manage a simple, “Thank you, Father.” Everyone was staring at them, teary eyed and silent, until Naruto pushed himself in the center with Sakura.

“Awh, this is all so sweet! Sakura-chan, your parents are wonderful! Now why in the world did you just tell me yesterday how horrible their scolding were? I mean, really-”

Naruto had absolutely broken the peaceful silence and everyone was staring at him now, including Sakura’s death glare.

“Uhm…what I-?” Kakashi had kicked Naruto on his rear to shut him up before he said anything more. He cringed a bit like he did back when he got a good kick from Sakura. She looked passed Naruto and gave Kakashi a smile. Kakashi only showed a pleased face and dragged the brat at the back of the crowd.

Sakura turned back to her parents, gave them a hug, and led them towards the food-filled table. Everyone began to eat and the mound of edibles quickly vanished.

She was so occupied with helping her guests feel comfortable that she nearly forgot about Naruto. Right after everyone left, she spotted Naruto cleaning up the garbage cans. She bit her lip as sudden guilt welled up inside her.

‘Oh, I haven’t even thanked him enough for arranging this for me..’ sympathy brought out more tears as she watched Naruto, covered in soot, cleaning out the thrash and washing the dishes. She sucked up her tears and walked slowly towards him.

“Hey there, Blondie.” he turned his head around with a frustrated expression then once he realized it was Sakura, it softened immediately and was replaced with a cheerful grin.

“Oh, hey, sorry I haven’t finished cleaning all the dishes yet. Have I told you how much Chouji eats!? I mean wow-” he stopped when Sakura rested her hand on his shoulder again. She only did this when she wanted him to listen, to listen carefully. Her grip tightened and she fought back tears making it almost impossible to speak clearly but she managed.

“Naruto, I can’t thank you enough for what you’ve done. Thank you, so much. I truly appreciate it….you know, I’ve never had a celebration just for me before…” Sakura looked intently in his bright blue eyes. Her grip only tightened even more and this told Naruto to keep his mouth shut until she was finished.

He had always thought that with all the awards, staright A’s, and wonderful complements Sakura gets form her teachers that her parents would’ve given her a party almost every week! Especially now that she had grown into an incredible ninja that her parents would’ve thought of at least taking her out to a meal and praise her. But he knew better, with all the complaints she had confided to him-he was just so confused. Her parent’s expectancies were so high…almost reminded him of Sasuke-there was never enough.

“I would never have thought of you as someone this caring, that I have to admit.” she chuckled slightly and her tears retreated, “Naruto…you have been such a wonderful friend to me. I would better put up with your antics than Ino’s attitude.”

‘Wow, really?!’ Naruto said in his thoughts but he didn’t say it aloud for he knew there was more coming.

She sighed deeply and looked him straight in the eye, “Naruto…. I love you.” this was followed by a cheerful smile.

What did she just say?!’

Naruto was shocked! Surprised! Astounded! And all the rest of the synonyms!

My goodness, he would never have imagined her saying this to him at all! This feeling was beyond anything he had ever felt before. His smile was shining magnificently.

“Sakura-chan, do you really mean it?!” he asked eagerly. Sakura’s smile softened and there was a bit of worriedness to it.

“Yes, of course Naruto. You of all people should know that you’ve become my closest friend lately.” just then, Naruto’s smile disappeared into a painfully blank face. Sakura was struck with guilt again. How it hurt so much to see that wonderful smile of his just vanish all of a sudden.

“Naruto…I-” but Naruto’s smile came back just that he did a darn good job at making a fake one.

“Hm? what-me? Naw, Im okay. Heh, for a moment there I thought…” he muttered the rest and regained himself.

“Anyways, I know there’s only one room in your heart for a true lover and evidently its not me. Heh,” he still kept on smiling…she choked at this and tears began blurring her vision once more. “But, hey, I can still squeeze in and be your best friend right? Well unless Ino already took up all the space…hmm, her ass has gotten quite big you know so maybe-”

“Stop. I’m sorry, really.” she whispered. “I didn‘t think you‘d take it that way..” she had both hands taking grasp on his shoulder now. ‘I thought we got past this already?’

“Your…right.” hope dissolved away from the Uzumaki. “but there’s still a lot of room in my heart for your love.”

There was a spark in his eyes now and he knew that what she said was the truth and not guilt or sympathy for the boy. His smile came back once more and this time it was a true and a cheerful one.

After what she had just said, he couldn’t stop himself from caressing her cheek. She smiled sweetly as his touch softened her too. He then stepped towards her and whispered in her ear…

“Sakura-chan, I love you with all of my heart.”

She was a bit startled by these words. She never thought it possible for anyone, a boy especially to say this aloud all in one sentence. She opened her mouth to return the sweet praise, but her mouth was engulfed by his lips. He kissed her tenderly yet was filled with so much meaning. Then right after the kiss she was stabbed by guilt once again.

‘Naruto, I’m sorry but you can be no more than a very close friend to me.’ she dared not say this aloud but had to admit that somewhere deep within her heart, she had a special kind of emotion for Naruto-the loving feeling she had to Sasuke. Yet somehow it just wasn’t enough of a feeling to really mean that much.

The blond boy before her had openly announced his love for her in those dazzling azure eyes of his which made him seem even more striking. The small feeling he had for Naruto began to expand slowly, noticing how wonderful he had been all through Sauke’s loss. Sakura sighed and gave back the kiss but once she opened her eyes…she couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

Actually, she wasn’t sure what she was seeing. Some distance from them, there was a dark figure with half his body concealed in the darkness. He looked utterly familiar, and obviously hurt. His eyes flickered bloody red then dissolved completely into the darkness. She let go of their kiss and gasped. Naruto furrowed his brows in concern.

“What’s wrong? ..look if it’s the kiss.. I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it…” He scrated his head while fumbling about trying to explain. Sakura gaped for a moment still gazing at the brush where the figure disappeared. Then quickly turned back to Naruto. She giggled a bit to ease him down.

“It’s not you silly, its nothing. I just..uh..didn’t know you were so good, ne?“ she chuckled and Naruto laughed as well.

“Well, there’s a whole lot more where that came from..” they laughed for a moment and hugged each other good-bye. Sakura watched as the blonde dissipated into the night. She sighed happily and went inside her own home.