Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Stories of Metropolis: Battle for The Fire Country ❯ The Recruits ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Cartlon, Diego, and Jin sat and watch as the list kept on being swarm of names. Cartlon watched as the last person sighed up and left. “How many we got?” he asked “We have about 150 people signed up.” Cartlon then said “well train them as soon as possible.” He then got an idea. He went up to Tsunade’s office, he knocked on the door. “Come in.” she said, Cartlon came in he bowed and said “I came here to ask permission to take command of Naruto’s friends.” Tsunade asked “why will you need them.” Cartlon replied “Because I have very good used for them.” “What are you going to used them for?” she asked him. “I’ll use them to weaken the Fire Nation as they approach.” “How are you going to do that?” she asked “There is a weapon that you might not have heard of. It’s called a musket, it fires a small lead ball that can penetrate there armor, we will strike them and then retreat, we can keep on doing this till they reach here.” Tsunade thought about it. “All right, but be sure that they will stay out of harm.” She said. Cartlon bowed and left.

Cartlon was met by Diego who said “We have the people, why not train them now?” he said. “We can train them tomorrow; will start off with the basic. Then will suit them up, but I’ll need my friends to help.”

“Help?” Diego asked “They are wizards too?”

Cartlon nodded “They are quite friendly. But the one I’ll need for now is my best friend Morgan Canmore.” He said as he placed a crystal on his staff he then chanted a word, soon there was a bright light as a Scottish young male stood there wearing a kilt and was playing a bagpipes. He had his eyes closed but when he opened them he knew he was somewhere else, he looked around and saw Cartlon, he notices both Diego and Jin. “Where am I?” Morgan asked in his thick Scottish accent. “Your in other world, Morgan, this is Jin and Diego.” Both of them said hi to him. “Well, you caught me in very bad time, Cartlon.” Morgan said while snapping his fingers as his Wizard outfit returned back on him. His brown hair was tied, his claymore was held on his back. “Now, what am I here for?” he asked. Cartlon explained the situation to him. “Why was he wearing a skirt?” Jin asked Diego as he raised his shoulders.

“Well, that’s the story.” Morgan said to Cartlon. “So you need me to help train the local militia you have here to fight 1,420 soldiers…alright I will do it.” He said “you will?” Cartlon said. “Sure, you can always count on a Scotsman my friend.” Cartlon smiled. Diego walked to them “so when do we start?” he asked. “Like I said Diego, tomorrow.”

Meanwhile at the palace at Fire Nation capitol, General Zoah stood as Azula walked towards him “Welcome back general, please tell me how the new soldiers did. The young general replied “My princess, the new soldiers didn’t really see battle.” Azula suddenly said “what do you mean?”

“The swordsmen mostly did the work, but your cannons did their job pretty good. They ripped the enemy ranks in a quick manner.” Azula smiled “Well, there is another city that I want you to capture.” She said as the general asked “where is this city at?” Azula tossed him the map. “Use this, it will the easiest to capture, so you can lay off the cannons but I’ll be needing the new soldiers to see battle.” She step away from him, he looked at the map to see what the new target is.

Cartlon and Morgan decided to see Naruto about the idea, “now where he says he lived.” He paced down an alley, “well this is seems a pleasing.” Morgan said. “Why another country would want to capture it?” he asked. “Because 1,000 miles from here there is another city so they will try to surround it with another army from the far east of this continent.” “Hmm, sounds like you’re in a pickle my friend.” Morgan said “luckily I’m here to help.” He said.

Naruto was lying on his bed as he thought about the battle and what will happen, suddenly he heard Cartlon talking outside. He jumped out from his bed as he ran to the patio and saw Cartlon and Morgan waling down the alley. “Hey, Cartlon!” he yelled, Cartlon looked up to see him. “Oh, there you are, I have to talk to you.” He said. “About what?” Naruto asked. “Something very important.” Cartlon replied.

Cartlon and Morgan were sitting on Naruto’s table; Naruto was barefooted as he walked over to Cartlon “Will you like some Ramon?” he asked. Cartlon shook his head “No thanks I’m not hungry.” He looked at Morgan “no, I have a bad reaction to the it; I think they kill it with salt.” He looked at Cartlon. Naruto replied “Alright sued yourself.” He started to prepare the cup o noodles.

Cartlon started to explain “I talked to Tsunade about you and your friends being skirmishers.” Naruto then asked “what is a skirmisher?” Cartlon pulled out a musket from out of nowhere. “This is what a skirmisher is…it’s a musket, it a smoothbore rifle that you have to load it from the muzzle.” He showed Naruto. “Then you load gunpowder in the little pan here.” He showed him where the pan was which is located near the flint lock.

Naruto stopped what he was doing “Can I hold it?” he asked Cartlon lend him the rifle. Naruto looked at it and aimed it at his calendar. “This is nice.” He said. Morgan said “even thought its pretty lad, it’s not a toy, you kill with this, and we have to show you how?” he took the rifle from him “and you are?” Naruto asked. “I’m Morgan Canmore of Scotland.” He said he shook Naruto’s hand. “You must tell your friends or any body who wants to fight.” Naruto smiled and nodded.

Soon in an open area in the town or village (any word you prefer) Naruto along with our fellow ninjas that we are all familiar with. Cartlon and Morgan came while holding a dozen of muskets. Diego and Jin were with them to see the training. “Cartlon, if you are going to train them then who will train the local militia?” Morgan asked. “Well, you are and maybe Diego since he’s here.” Cartlon answered as he looked over to Diego whose ears popped up. His eyes widen as he nervously scratched his head “I…uh…I just know how to load a pistol.” He said showing his pistol which he kept in his vest. “The flintlock pistol loading is the same as the rifle, Diego, nice try.” Morgan said.

Cartlon saw the group that Naruto brought. There were 11 of them, Cartlon notices Ino, and he blushed as he passed her. “Naruto had told me that you all had seen many things and done many things that I thought is impossible to do for your age, by Naruto informing that Its seem okay to teach all to handle these…” Morgan laid out the muskets on the table. “These are called muskets, it a smoothbore rifle that you have to load it from the muzzle…Morgan.” He said “show them how it’s done.” Morgan then said “you say the commands.” He said. Cartlon then said “oh yeah.” Neji looked at him “there idiots.” He thought.

“Prime and load.” Cartlon command. Morgan quarter turn to the right at the same time bringing the musket to the priming position.

“Handle Cartridge” Morgan pulled out a cartridge consisted of a spherical lead bullet wrapped in a paper cartridge which also held the gunpowder propellant. The other end of the cartridge away from the ball would be sealed with a twist of paper.

“Prime.” Morgan pulled the dogshead back to half-cock and poured a small pinch of the powder from the cartridge into the priming pan. He then closed the frizzen so that the priming powder was trapped.

“About” Morgan dropped the butt on the ground and he poured the rest of the powder from the cartridge.

“Draw Ramrod” Morgan drew his ramrod from below the barrel.

“Ram down the cartridge.” Morgan used the ramrod to firmly ram the bullet, and powder down to the bottom followed by tamping it down with two quick strokes. He then returned the ramrod to its hoops under the barrel.

“Present” Morgan aimed the rifle at the dummy that they made from wood. He pulled back the cock.

“Fire!” Morgan fired it as the bullet went thought the thin outline of a man.

“This weapon is lethal if in the hands of an excellent marksmen, once were done, you’ll be the greatest gunners that ever walk on this earth.” Cartlon said. Diego watched as Jin asked “Diegi, I’ll like to learn how to use the musket.” Diego responded “I’ll show you, but first, I should show how to fire a pistol first.” Diego said giving her an unloaded pistol in his vest.

“Now, like Cartlon said this is not a toy, you can kill a person or thing with this.” Jin nodded. Diego flip open the priming pan, “This is where you pore the powder in.” Diego then took out a cartridge. “This is the paper cartridge that holds the powder and the lead ball in it.” He show it to her, “Then you bite the end of the cartridge where the powder is, then you pour it in the barrel and some in the priming pan, then you drop in the ball.” Diego then pulled out the ramrod which is located beneath the barrel. “Then you have to pushed the powder and ball till it reaches the end.” He then gave her the pistol.

“Now, love, once you load it you can pulled back the cock with your fingers or your hands, like so.” He used his thumb to push back the cock. “Okay it’s loaded, be careful.” He said as Jin held the weapon, she somehow felt a presence that she was going to be good with it. She rose up the muzzle aiming for the dummy. Diego watched in amazement as Jin fired the first shot as it hit the dummy between the eyes.

Diego looked back at Jin as she smiled, Cartlon was shock so was Morgan, “Beginners luck, have her try again.” Morgan said as Diego let Jin tried it. Jin then followed Diego’s instructions, Diego watched as she did it in a perfect form, she raised the weapon and fired but this time it hit the groan area of the dummy. Diego smiled “you’re a natural, love.”

Cartlon then said “see, it’s simple.” Now go ahead and try to load it, tell me if you are done.” Soon everyone tried to load it, Cartlon watched as he said, “Remember, the cock needs to be in the half-way position before you load.” Everyone successfully did. “Now, you may load.” Diego was showing Jin how to fire a rifle now. “Now, love, loading a rifle is like loading a pistol, only different is that the barrel is longer and it gives more kick when fired, go ahead and try.” Jin grabs the rifle, she carefully loads it and she held up the rifle to aim. “Don’t put the finger on the trigger unless you are certain of the target.” He said. Jin aimed and fired; she was pushed back a bit and flinches. The bullet hit the forehead of the dummy. Diego smiled. “Now, love, there is an important quote that my captain told me when I first fired a shot.” Jin listened. “Aim small, miss small.” Jin asked “What does that mean?” Diego replied “it means aim something small on the soldier; if you miss it you will still hit the guy.”

Cartlon watches as a voice said “I’m having some trouble.” Cartlon realize the voice he turned to see that it was Ino who called him. He walked on over, “I’m having trouble with the powder here, how much do I pore in?” she asked him. Cartlon blushed, “Only a small amount, then you pore the rest in the barrel, then you get the ram rod, and shoved it till it reaches the bottom.” He caught himself loading it for her. “Thanks you for loading it for me.” Ino said as she took it from Cartlon. She aimed it, as Cartlon helped her; Morgan was helping the rest as Diego was still with Jin.

The Ed’s were usually just exploring the place as they were being followed by both Calvin and Hobbes, the people in the village stared at them as they never seen them before. “Well, jezz, don’t make your looking obvious.” Eddy said as Double D said to him “Now, Eddy, they never seen guys like us.”

“Nor, us.” Hobbes said. “Now, what can we do while Cartlon and the others are training.” He said as they stopped, he thought for a moment. “I know! There is a movie theater, let’s see what showing.” He said. They raced to the nearby movie to sadly it was only showing one movie that was only of adults. “Shoot! We will never find anything to do.” Eddy yelled as Ed cried “They can be so cruel!” Double D then said “Maybe we can see what Cartlon up too.” He said as Eddy grabs him “No! If we go there, he’ll be making us train with the people he always have.”

“Eddy, Cartlon will be training with us tomorrow. He will let us train with the people. That’s if we want.” Double D explained.

“Well, I don’t want to! I didn’t want to be stuck here and might get killed!” Eddy cried. Double D replied “I believe Cartlon is a good and brilliant commander, and we will get reinforcements from the Republic.”

It was a moment of silent for a while, “So, what do we do?” Calvin asked breaking the silent. Eddy then said “Let’s just walk some more till Cartlon and the guys are finish.” He said as they continue on walking “Don’t worry guys, Cartlon is a great person and I know it.” Double D said. “I hope so.” Hobbes, Eddy, and Calvin all thought. The sun set as Cartlon and the crew finished there lesson. “Now, sense you know the basic use of the musket, tomorrow Morgan and Diego will show you the part of taking care of your gun and march in a formation and shoot in a formation…your dismiss.” Cartlon said as the group left. “I see two people, who might be unwilling to fight.” Morgan said. Cartlon asked “who?”

“The fat one and the shy girl with purple hair.” Morgan said. “You mean Kouji and Hinata.” Naruto said, while holding his musket. Morgan and Cartlon turned to face him. “Kouji is more than he looks, and be careful with the word fat, cause he gets pretty mad if you do and there will me major problems. Hinata is a shy girl, especially when see me.” He explained to them. “I don’t care about the kid. If he wants to be here, he needs to lose a few pounds.” Morgan said. “A good unit doesn’t have some plump person to slow them down.” Cartlon listen to Morgan’s words. “For Hinata, I think…will I’m stuck, I never know if she wants to fight, but it will be best if you ask her.” Naruto said. “Well, Jin over there is going excellent, she a natural marksmen.” Morgan said “Never, in my life I have ever seen a girl shoot with a straight accuracy.” He said again while watching her shoot and hitting it in the face once more. “Well, let’s get some rest, tomorrow is a big day.” Cartlon said. “Well, for you, but it just a same old day.” Morgan said. They left Diego and Jin behind.

The guys wanted to eat somewhere so they stop at a restaurant, they sat at a table which they notice that the Ed’s and Calvin and Hobbes were there too. “Oh, hey guys, how was your day?” Cartlon said as Eddy looked at him “Well we did absolutely nothing!” Eddy said, “This is place is the worst place I been, I mean Cartlon, Will we ever get out of here alive?” he said Cartlon then said “Well, that is a tough question, indeed, but Eddy my friend. I will promise.” He said. He left as Morgan asked him, “Do, you think we should summon the rest of the guys?” Cartlon looked at him. “I mean, we will need all the help we can get.” He said again. Cartlon thought about it. “Yes, I believe we might. But I’ll be leaving now.” He said as he got up. “Wait! What for?” Morgan stopped him. “You remember what happen when we summon him, he was in an middle of a ceremony and he was pissed at me then ever.” He explained. Morgan said “oh, will good luck getting them.” He shook hands with him and left. He passed by Ino “Oh, Cartlon!” she yelled Cartlon stopped and ran backwards to her. Ino and Cartlon both blushed, “I was just wandering if…you will like to go out sometimes.” She asked. Cartlon then said “well, not tomorrow, how about tonight after the training?” he said. Ino smiled “That will be perfect.” She said as she kissed him on the cheeks. “Good night.” She said as she walked off leaving Cartlon standing there. He too turned and run as fast as he can.

Diego and Jin were just now finished up with the lesson. “That’s some pretty good shooting, Jin.” Diego said “I’ll have never shoot that good.” He said as they left the range as he carried a musket. They walked under the night sky, as the moon was full. “Remember the time we were looking at the stars on your ship.” She said while they held hands. “Yeah, it was something.” He said. He thought for a moment then he said “Jin, uh, can you tell me more about this Zuko guy that you’re saying about? If you don’t mind.” He asked. Jin took a deep breath “Well, I thought he was a neat guy, I mean we went out and ate dinner, I thought he was in a circus or something, he even lied to me about that.” She said as Diego stopped “What did he lied about?”

“He said he was in the circus, I thought it was truth because he had a bad scar where his right eye is. Then as he was about kiss me, he pulled back and said…it complicated. It was a few days or so and they said that he was the prince of the Fire Nation. That broke my heart, he was even had a sister…” Diego ears popped up “Azula.” He said. Jin looked at him. “I know that girl, she nothing but pure evil. I can even sense it. I almost fell for her tricks to join her, just for money, but that change once I met you, then I realize that I’ll never work for a evil person.” He said. Jin listened, Diego then said “That’s my reason of escaping Ba Sing Se with you.” He said. Jin hugged him, “Thanks for being with me, I love you.” “I know, love.” He said. “But soon, you’ll be back home and we will free Ba Sing Se.” Diego said. It was silent, “Now, are you hungry?” Diego asked while smiling.