Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Affairs ❯ Date ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Affairs
Chapter 3: Date
 
Is it good or bad for having your girlfriend in a date?
 
“Tenten,” Neji called her after the training.
“What?” replied Tenten unwillingly. A certain frown reflected on her gloomy face.
“Hey, why are you looking like that? You looks like a grim reaper,” Neji joked unpleasantly.
`I would be a certain grim reaper soon, Neji…' whispered Tenten in her heart. She really wanted to show him about what she was thinking right now, but instead of yelling it out loud, Tenten said another thing.
“I'm tired, Neji. That's all…”
“Huh? So I think it's not the right time…” said Neji.
`Yea, it's not the right time to break up with me, right… Neji? I will be like this forever, so you'd never dare to say a `bye'' Tenten glared at him.
“I'm thinking to ask you on a date, but to see your current condition, I suppose you will turn off my offer,” Neji explained.
“D- Date!?” exclaimed Tenten in disbelief.
“Yup,” Neji nodded his head once, “A date. Start on eating, end in sunset.”
“I… I'm going with you!” Tenten cried in happiness. Seemed that she had completely forgotten about what she had seen two days before. Nah, that was not important again. What was so nice to look back at hell, while the heaven was waiting in front of her eyes?
“Huh? Aren't you tired?” asked Neji, tone in disbelief with Tenten's sudden change.
“No, it'll be okay! Then Neji, first stop: Ichiraku Ramen!” Tenten dragged his right arm in her, leading him towards Konoha's citizen favourite Ramen restaurant.
***
“Neji? Why didn't you eat? The Ramen wouldn't come by it self to your mouth,” Tenten slurped on her own Ramen, while Neji only watched on his bowl.
“No… I'm not hungry,” reasoned Neji.
“Oh,” came a short reply from Tenten. She then slurped again on her food. She might be so hungry that she didn't ask Neji to eat his food anymore.
`This idiot Tenten… for how many years she had been my team mate!? I really hate ramen…' Neji grumbled on his own thoughts.
“Wah! I'm full!” Tenten rubbed her belly, and then drank half of her tea.
Neji smirked to see her. She was so sweet when she was not trying to act gracefully. She should be what she is, and not trying to push things on her. Neji knew that she was not gifted to be a serene girl, so to be her self was the best way.
“Hey? What are you smirking at?” asked Tenten when she caught him.
“Ah? Nothing… you're looking cute…” Neji mumbled. He didn't lie though, Tenten was so sweet to be like that.
Tenten blushed furiously, “T- thanks…”
“C'mon, Ten. Let's leave this place,” Neji stood up from his seat, and paid the bill. Tenten walked out from the building, waiting for Neji.
“So, where are we going now?” asked Tenten when Neji has gone outside from the building.
“Well,” Neji looked at his watch, “It's almost sunset time. Why don't we go to the hill?” Neji pointed on the hill in front of the Hokages' carved faces. The best place to see the sunset.
Tenten blushed, `Wow, Neji… he is so romantic!'
They arrived on the top of the hill the next three minutes. Tenten heaved a deep sigh. While Neji sat down on the open ground. He smiled to see Tenten was so happy with what they did together.
“Hey, Ten. Why didn't you sit here?” Neji patted on the empty ground beside him. Tenten, blushing, accepted his offer and sat beside him.
“The sun almost set down,” said Tenten as she laid her head on Neji's shoulder. Neji flinched a bit when she did that, but he ignored it somehow.
“Ten-”
“Neji-”
Both of them called of the latter's name at the same time. Neji nodded his head once, allowing Tenten to talk first.
“I'm so happy to day, Neji… Thank you very much,” Tenten hugged Neji's arm, buried her head deeply on his shoulder. The sun has set down, leaving the red sky behind.
“You're welcome,” replied Neji.
“I love you, Neji. I love you now… and always will…” Tenten kissed Neji softly right on his lips. She kissed him for some moment, waiting for him to kiss her back, but Neji stunned. He didn't know how to react at her kiss. The next second, Tenten withdrew her lips from him.
“Why…? Is there something on your mind?” asked Tenten.
“No, nothing…” Neji shook his head slightly.
“You're not thinking about Hinata, right!?” asked Tenten, her voice became tense.
“No… really!” indeed, Neji didn't lie. He didn't even thinking about a single thing of Hinata right now.
Still, Tenten could not believe him. In a threatening voice, she said: “You said that you loved me, Neji.”
“Yeah, I do Tenten… I love you,” uttered Neji. He fell silent after that. Tenten could not react hearing of Neji's confession.
Neji heaved a deep breath. Braving his self, he told her the thing that had disturbed his mind these couple days.
“Tenten… I'm not lying that I love you. But you have to know that I… love you as my friend… best friend ever… you are my sweet, beloved… friend, and I couldn't make you more than that in my heart,” Neji said it so carefully. He did not want to make Tenten mad.
Tenten stupefied. Her eyes widened in shock. She could not believe that their first date was ended to be the last date.
“So…? Y- You want to break up with me!?” Tenten yelled. Her hand hold his arm tightly in angriness.
“Technically... it's yes, Tenten,” Neji said in a small voice.
“But-” Tenten doubted.
“Didn't you say that you are happy, Ten? It means that I've completed my promise. I'm really sorry Tenten, but please… I couldn't stand like this anymore!” Neji explained.
The shock expression on Tenten's face has changed into a sad one. Tears rolled down on her cheek. She couldn't believe this. Indeed, she wouldn't believe this. All those smiles and praises that he said to her back there were all… lies.
“But, I didn't lie to you, Tenten,” said Neji in a sudden. His Byakugan activated. It was certain that he had read her mind.
“W- What do you mean?” Tenten sobbed. She didn't bother to wipe her tears that kept rolling on her cheek.
Neji deactivated his Byakugan. He looked straight at her eyes.
“All the things I said back there, it were true,” he explained.
“But now you want to break up with me!” Tenten yelled. She smacked Neji on his chest for many times. Neji grabbed both of her wrists, calming her down. Tenten retreated her wrists from his grip. She stood up quickly and turned her back at him furiously.
“You hurt my heart, Neji!” Tenten demanded.
“And that's why I apologize to you! I'm really sorry Tenten! You could slap me for thousand times if it would make you better!” Neji kneeled behind her, his voice became steady.
Tenten glanced at him for some seconds. She was sure wanted to hurt Neji. Kicked his ass so badly for hurting her heart. But she didn't do it for indeed she couldn't do it. The desire to hurt him was beaten by her love. She really loved him. Really. But somehow, she have decided her decision.
Tenten turned back at him. They looked at each other's eyes.
“I hate this, Neji!” She raised her arm, in time when Neji had shut his eyes. He didn't dare to face it. Not to face the fact that she would slap him, but the fact that he had hurt her heart so badly.
But nothing happened.
Neji opened his eyes slowly. Tenten have vanished from where she should be. When Neji had closed her eyes that time, Tenten might has been leaving with Ninjutsu.
Neji stared blankly at the sky. Hinata was right. Being honest would hurt both of them so much. But Neji was sure that… time will heal…
***
AN: I'm not really keen on this chapter. Why? Well actually because this chapter was more a NejiTen rather than NejiHina… but this factor didn't make you lazy to write reviews, ne? Please…. Yea, the next would be the last chapter, but of course I will post it if you give me your reviews… Nyaaah, see you! ^~^