Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Gaara's Secret ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
Gaara's Secret
 
 
 
The teammates didn't have to go far before they came upon Gaara and Mizuki. Which was fortunate as Sakura was dangerously close to sending Sasuke and Naruto several feet in the air if they didn't stop pestering each other about their painfully apparent bad moods.
 
After a few careful steps and stretches, Mizuki's legs had fallen right back into working order and she and Gaara had walked almost a mile from the hospital. When the two groups met, they were taking a brief rest so she could catch her breath before they went back.
 
“Mizuki-chan! You made it this far! That's great!” Sakura called when she saw where they were. She turned her fisted hand which had been directed at Naruto's head into a fast wave. Naruto took the opportunity to slip away from her and behind Sasuke who just sighed and smacked him anyway. “Be sure you don't overdo it on your lungs though. How is your stomach?”
 
“A little sore but not enough to keep me still. Man that walk felt good!” She stretched her arms up over her head and sighed. Her breath wheezed out on the exhale. “My poor muscles feel like they haven't moved in a year either!” Her eyes betrayed her fear again but her smile was genuine when she greeted the group, until she saw Sasuke.
 
Sasuke expected her to immediately look away but she caught and held his gaze for a few seconds. This surprised him and although he had expected to feel relieved when she finally shed her fear of him, the expression on her face was not putting him at ease. She was not smiling but not frowning. In fact, the stoic expression made it almost impossible to tell what she was thinking. If possible, it was making him even more uncomfortable and he was angry when he finally had to look away from her.
 
“I take it your search has not yielded any results?” Gaara asked from where he sat beside Mizuki. Sasuke expected Gaara to ignore him as usual but was surprised when Gaara seemed to direct the question at him. And it hadn't been asked sarcastically either.
 
“Uh…no unfortunately we haven't located so much as a trace. I can't sense him anywhere around either. I believe he's left for now. Whether he's given up trying to cause trouble for you though still remains to be seen. We shouldn't let down our guard.” Sasuke said looking directly at Mizuki, his eyes practically daring her to look away. She met his gaze again unflinchingly. He forced himself to look into her deep brown eyes and although the fear was still there, it was almost overwhelmed by another emotion. Anger? Disappointment? He couldn't tell. “Her eyes so far have shown her emotions so completely so why can't I tell what she's feeling now? Hmph…she's annoying.” He thought sourly.
 
“Do you mind if we walk back to the hospital with you Mizuki-chan?” Kakashi asked pleasantly. “I think we've agreed that we're not going to find anything here to lead us to Uchiha Itachi and I'd like to discuss our travel plans for tomorrow morning if that's alright.”
 
Mizuki looked like she'd rather be doing almost anything else but she nodded. Gaara stood and said to Mizuki, “Then I will leave you in their care. I will visit later alright?”
 
“Of course Gaara and…thank you for the talk earlier. It really helped.”
 
“It helped me too.” Gaara said as he quickly looked at Sasuke before he turned to walk away.
 
“Gaara wait up a second!” Naruto called out running after him. “I'll meet you guys at the hospital in a bit okay?”
 
Sakura looked after Naruto with dark eyes but she saw Sasuke looking at her and she focused on Mizuki. “Alright. Let's get you back for some rest. I'm sure you can use it after this.”
 
Mizuki saw Sakura's dark expression and decided not to challenge her even though she wasn't feeling tired at all. “Sure Sakura-san.” She stood up too quickly for her still atrophied muscles and her right leg gave out underneath her. She almost went sprawling but Sasuke caught her by the shoulders just in time. Mizuki instantly went stiff. Her breathing became ragged and she shut her eyes tight and turned her head away as though she was expecting to be hit. Sasuke reacted by letting go immediately. Sakura stepped up and took Mizuki's arm before she could fall again. Mizuki opened her eyes but apparently Sakura was no better than Sasuke. She gasped and wrenched her arm from Sakura's grasp, landing on her knees on the ground and covering her face with her hands. The three leafs made no move as Mizuki sat there, trying to calm herself. After several tense seconds, Mizuki's breathing calmed and she slowly took her hands from her face. Sakura took a cautious step forward.
 
“Mizuki-chan. Are you alright?” Mizuki looked at her and Sakura gasped. “My God she's sweating!” She thought as she saw the beads of perspiration run down Mizuki's forehead. “Is she that terrified?”
 
“I'm…alright Sakura-san.” Mizuki said as she slowly stood up. None of the leaf shinobi dared help her again. “I'm sorry about that. I guess my balance isn't as great as I thought it was.” She favoured them with a sheepish look and Sasuke could tell she was just as confused as they were as to why she had reacted that way but he could also tell one thing crystal clear. She did not trust them.
 
XXX
 
Naruto walked with Gaara towards the Sand's central building where his office was located. He said nothing at first, he was unsure how to bring up such a sensitive topic. Finally Gaara stopped and stared at Naruto. Naruto stammered out a few unintelligible words until Gaara said,
 
“Temari or Kankurou told you didn't they?”
 
Naruto looked at Gaara surprised for a moment and then looked away and nodded. Gaara sighed and began walking again. Naruto kept steady pace beside him. “Why did you never say anything? I might have been able to help.”
 
“There was nothing you could have done. There was no time.”
 
“No. I meant to help you.” Gaara stopped again and looked at Naruto who continued. “It must have hurt so much, losing someone close to you like that. And now, to see it happening all again with Mizuki-chan…I honestly don't know how you've found the strength to deal with it.”
 
Gaara began walking again and said nothing for a few minutes. Just as Naruto was about to ask if he was alright, Gaara said, “I was able to remain strong for the sake of my village and my bonds…because I knew that's what you would have done.”
 
It was Naruto's turn to stop in his tracks and look shocked but a small smile came to his face. “You've come so far Gaara.” He thought in admiration before catching up to his friend again.
 
They walked in companionable silence for a few more minutes but Naruto, never having been a fan of silence, broke it again. “So what were you and Mizuki-chan talking about when we found you?”
 
“Uchiha Sasuke.” Gaara said simply.
 
Naruto sighed. “I know you blame Sasuke for letting Itachi live and so for what happened to Mizuki-chan but it's really not his fault Gaara. He's just as disturbed about it as you are.”
 
“You are wrong.” Gaara said. He did not stop walking but his eyes narrowed. “Neither I nor Mizuki blame him for what happened to her.” Gaara thought back to the conversation he'd had with Mizuki which started as they left the hospital.
 
XXX
 
“I know you are frightened of Sasuke but I can promise you he means you no harm.” Gaara had said as they walked slowly through the hospital doors.
 
“He doesn't give a damn about me and you don't trust him that much is clear. So why should I?” Mizuki replied.
 
“I have my reasons but he has done nothing to harm you. And even if his intentions were malignant, Naruto would never let anything happen to you and I do trust Naruto.”
 
Mizuki was silent for several seconds before speaking again. “I know there's some major history between you and Naruto-san, Temari-san told me you two are close friends. She also said that the last time you saw Sasuke, you were in some fight to the death and it got interrupted….”
 
“I know what you are asking Mizuki but it's not what you think.” Gaara said as he helped Mizuki down the last step of the hospital entrance. “My grudge towards Sasuke has nothing to do with our past malice towards each other. You said Temari told you that Naruto and I are good friends?”
 
Mizuki nodded.
 
“What Naruto and I share is beyond mere friendship. He is my saviour. He saved me from the hell called loneliness from which I believed there was no escape. Long ago,” He paused as if trying to find the right words to say. “I hated every living thing and lived loving only myself. I had no friends, even my own siblings were a nuisance I'd just as soon kill as look at. The best part was that I honestly thought I was happy that way. I thought that taking the lives of others was the only way for me to prove my existence. The way it was meant to be.” Gaara eyes became hazy with remembrance. “After an encounter with Naruto, I began to see differently. He made me realize that bonds with other people are something to be cherished and protected even at the cost of one's life. If I had not met Naruto, I truly believe I would not be here now.” He was of course remembering the confrontation with Akatsuki but not wanting to have to explain the organization as it would bring up Uchiha Itachi again, Gaara did not elaborate further. “Naruto showed me what true strength and happiness was…in his own loud and determined way of course. I have lived for the sake of my family, friends and village ever since.”
 
Gaara paused enough for Mizuki to consider that she might be wrong in not trusting Naruto. But even as she thought of his face, she could barely suppress the shiver that went down her spine. Logical or no, she was afraid of him and his friends from the leaf village. She was suddenly feeling cold and as a result, almost didn't hear Gaara start to speak again.
 
“Naruto and Sasuke have always been rivals. But underneath that was an understanding and friendship so deep that it bordered on brotherhood. But Sasuke threw it away.” Gaara's voice lowered menacingly. “Obsessed with defeating Uchiha Itachi, Sasuke lusted after power. When he felt his own growth as a powerful ninja was taking too long, he ran after and joined a truly evil being to gain power more quickly, leaving behind his village and his friends. Even though he would never admit it, Naruto was heartbroken. Sasuke represented one of his first bonds and he risked his life to get Sasuke back and keep that bond intact. Sasuke almost killed him…twice…for his troubles.” Gaara heard Mizuki gasp but he continued anyway. “As someone who had to have the meaning of friendship beaten into him...literally, it infuriates me to see such a strong bond tossed away as if it were nothing but a sand fly at a picnic.”
 
“But Sasuke is back with Naruto-san and the others now. So a reconciliation had to have happened at some point.”
 
“When Sasuke went up against Itachi and failed to defeat him in a one on one battle, Naruto once again risked everything to rescue him. He was brought back to Konoha and quite easily fell back into his old role. Naruto forgave him his crimes with no hesitation, even though he was hurt so badly. It's infuriating to watch.”
 
“I think I understand.” Mizuki could understand where Gaara was coming from but, “If Naruto-san has forgiven Sasuke then Sasuke must have regretted his actions. So why do you still hate him?”
 
“I do not believe he has changed.” Gaara said simply. “His actions since he came here have proven that his obsession is as strong as ever. Especially the way he treats you, as if you are nothing but a slab of walking information. It shows me that he is still the revenge fixated bastard who left his best friend for dead to further his own gains. He is not deserving of Naruto's friendship or trust. Nor mine.”
 
They walked in silence for a little while after that, Gaara slowing down purposefully when he heard Mizuki's breathing becoming harsher.
 
“There is a public seating area with benches a little further up. We will rest there before heading back.”
 
Mizuki wanted to argue but Gaara had a way of looking at you that brooked no argument. She smiled warmly at him instead. Like no one else she'd met since regaining consciousness in this unfamiliar world, she trusted Gaara. His solid as stone, stoic face didn't fool her for a second. His intentions and his heart were crystal clear. “A girl could fall for him easily.” She thought as they reached the bench and sat down. “And I think whoever wins his heart is lucky indeed.”
 
She took a deep breath but that only served in making her cough harshly. Gaara was anxious as he watched her bring her breathing under control again but tried to conceal his concern. He'd learned quickly that she didn't like people fawning over her like some invalid. She was strong and independent and he admired her for it, but he knew that her inner strength would only get her so far. She needed Konoha's Hokage to heal her completely.
 
Mizuki got over her coughing fit quickly enough and when she was sure she could talk again properly she said, “I think I know where you're coming from Gaara. Your friendship with Naruto means a lot to you and seeing him hurt makes you want revenge on the one who hurt him. But perhaps it's not that simple.” Gaara just looked at her so she continued. “I don't know what happened between Sasuke and his brother,” At Gaara's shocked look. “If Sasuke didn't want me to know about the connection then he shouldn't yell so loudly when right outside my room.” She smiled grimly before continuing. “As I said, I don't know the whole story but what is pretty clear to me is that Sasuke is a loner, even now that he's back with Naruto and Sakura. I'm willing to bet he's always been that way. Never trusting anyone, always keeping them at an arm's length, seeing them as an annoyance, hating them and what he saw as their foolish dreams of peace and friendship, living only for himself and his revenge. It must have been a horrible and lonely way to live. A path of true darkness.” She paused as she suddenly wondered why she was defending Sasuke to Gaara. It's not as though there was any love lost between herself and the vengeance-obsessed shinobi. But in her heart, she knew what she was saying was completely true and she somehow felt a need to make Gaara understand Sasuke a little more. She looked at Gaara but he was not looking at her. His eyes were wide as he heard what was essentially his own story told back to him.
 
“Mizuki does not know about the Uchiha clan or exactly why Sasuke desires revenge on Itachi. Yet she's read him...and myself so well. She's very perceptive. And she's also completely right.” Gaara thought as he looked down at his hands, hands which had taken the lives of so many people, all because he'd been in so much pain from his loneliness that he couldn't see past his own nose. Sasuke had lost his entire clan, he must have felt pain too. Loneliness from which there was no escape. Until Naruto. That made the only difference between him and Sasuke the fact that Gaara needed no revenge. He recognized his own strength and therefore did not feel weakened by the light Naruto brought into his life. Sasuke must have doubted his own power and felt insecure about his ability to take revenge on his brother. It pushed him to seek power and thus into a darkness even Gaara had never known. “I think I may have misunderstood him a little.” He thought amazed. He was amazed at the revelation but even more so that Mizuki had caused it all with just a few words, knowing nothing of the situation. He looked at her warm and smiling face wonderingly and thought, “Who is this girl?”
 
XXX
 
Naruto was silent for several minutes after Gaara finished his tale. They were still walking slowly towards Gaara's office and it crawled just as slowly towards them.
 
“I need to apologize to you Naruto.” Gaara said quickly. “I know I haven't kept in contact as much I should have in the last few years. The truth is that I was so angry when I heard news about how you risked everything for Sasuke, I thought you were being foolish and I kept it all to myself. I guess I didn't learn the lesson very well after all.”
 
He looked at Naruto, sure that he would be on the receiving end of a nasty look but Naruto was not looking at him. He was staring straight ahead and his eyes were sad. “I didn't know you felt that way Gaara. It never even occurred to me that you wouldn't be able to forgive Sasuke and that was the reason why you've been so cold with him. I knew everyone back home took a while to forgive him but I thought once Sakura and I had, everyone would. But now I know I was a fool to think that. You're not the one who didn't learn the lesson Gaara. I'm the one who still has things to learn.” Naruto felt even more horrible now at how little he had been able to understand the person who was one of his best friends.
 
Gaara put his hand on Naruto's shoulder and when Naruto looked up, Gaara was smiling at him! “I suppose it's a good thing no one ever said we had to learn everything all at once.” Naruto was wide eyed for a moment but smiled back.
 
They reached the building that housed Gaara's office just as Temari came running out of it with a frantic look on her face.
 
“Gaara! Naruto! We have to get back to the hospital quick! Uchiha Itachi is back and he's trying to kill Mizuki-chan!”
 
XXX
 
At the same time as Naruto and Gaara were having their talk, the others had started back to the hospital, Mizuki walking ahead of the other three, keeping a fair distance between them and herself. Sakura could hear the wheezing and gasps of her struggle for air but she did not slow down or show any other sign that she was having a hard time. “We have to get her back to Konoha soon.” She thought worriedly. “But how is she going to be able to travel with us if she's so terrified of us?”
 
Sasuke looked after Mizuki's walking form bitterly. “Showing off like that is only going to make her condition worse and that will cause problems traveling back to Konoha.” He sniffed in disgruntlement and tried to ignore the other thoughts that came to his mind. He did not like this girl in the slightest but like it or not, thinking about how scared stiff she'd been earlier worried him. Sakura had been right. It wasn't just him the girl was frightened of. “It's as though she's expecting at any moment for us to attack her. The craziest part is she doesn't even know why she's scared of us.” He thought as he stalked behind Kakashi towards the hospital. “And why us and not Gaara?” That thought led to a whole other can of beans. Gaara had been different with him then. He hadn't spoken with a sneer or sarcasm. And the look he given Sasuke just before walking off with Naruto. “What on earth were they talking about when we found them?” Thinking about that made his mood even darker so that by the time he heard Mizuki cry out and Sakura yell Itachi's name, he was just plain pissed off.
 
He leapt in front of Mizuki who had fallen backwards to the ground in shock when Itachi had appeared out of nowhere in front of her. Kakashi was quickly beside him. Sasuke could not stifle a gasp. Itachi stood still before them still in his traditional Akatsuki garb and although he was looking right at Sasuke, his iris' had turned a milky white. Itachi was blind!
 
“Sasuke, I should have known you'd be here. This pathetic Sand Village never could handle its own crisis by itself. Always looking to the leaf village to bail them out. And aren't you glad you went back to them little brother? After all, the Jinchuuriki saving you yet again enabled us to see each other again. You must be very grateful to have such a `powerful' friend.” Stoic as ever, Itachi's expression did not change but his sightless eyes practically twinkled as the insult left his lips.
 
“Itachi….” Sasuke was so shocked by his appearance he could hardly form words. A sudden sharp pain burst from his left shoulder. He hissed it back. “How…why?” Was all he could growl out.
 
“Still as eloquent as ever I see. But I will answer your questions. You are wondering how I was able to find you and attack that girl there with my eyes in this state. After I failed to acquire your eyes in our little skirmish, six months was required for me to regain full use of my body although I heard your recovery took longer. In that endless time, the Kyuubi Jinchuuriki and others from Konoha ripped the Akatsuki to pieces and even managed to take out Pein thanks to that meddling Sannin Jirayia. The only one besides me to survive was of course my mentor Madara but he has disappeared to who knows where, licking his wounds and sulking no doubt.” Bitterness flowed through Itachi's voice freely. “By the time my body healed enough to assist my fellow members, my eyes were dead and I was too late. Everything I'd worked so hard for years to accomplish was gone. But we Uchiha are nothing if not resourceful eh little brother? So I cut my losses and turned my efforts to finding a way to regain my eyesight. There were other ways than stealing your eyes, although that would of course have been the ideal. I searched and managed to find a way to keep a certain kind of sight even with my useless eyes, but the ultimate answer eluded me. Until three months ago, which incidentally leads me to the why part of your question.” His voice dripped with malevolence as his seemingly sightless eyes moved over to where Sakura had Mizuki out of the way.
 
Mizuki, for her part, was standing just behind Sakura but instead of being terrified and hiding like Sasuke imagined she would be, she was looking at Itachi with just as much venom as his look favoured her with. “You.” She practically spat out between wheezing breaths. “You're the one who attacked me. You've caused so much pain to everyone here and now you appear again and all you can do is spout meaningless drabble and insult Sasuke's strength? This is not a school yard fight between 8 year olds. Honestly considering what I've heard of you, I thought you would have some better material than that.” Despite Sakura's warning, Mizuki's anger was strong and she took a step forward. “Why are you really here now? Haven't you done enough damage?”
 
Itachi looked straight at Mizuki and an evil grin crossed his face. “Still feisty, I always did admire that. But no actually, I have not done enough. I did attack you and I will continue to do so until I have what I need.”
 
Mizuki's face became pale but she stood her ground. “And what the hell could you possibly need from me?”
 
“Amnesia is it?” Itachi shot back, his grin widening. “I'm not surprised. What I put you through was terrifying I'm sure. It only makes sense that you would block the memories. But you girl have exactly what I need to regain my power. And I will have it.” He started to walk towards Mizuki whose courage began to falter under the gaze of the sightless yet somehow seeing eyes. Sakura moved in front of Mizuki again but while Itachi was still several feet away from her, he swung his right arm out in a wide arc. Glowing red chakra came off of his arm in waves, striking Kakashi, Sasuke and Sakura and sending them flying. Sasuke hit the ground hard from the unexpected attack.
 
“Visible chakra from his arm! And from such a distance! What has he been doing these last three years?” Sasuke thought alarmed as Itachi continued to close the distance between himself and Mizuki. Seeing her shinobi protectors swatted away like so many flies evaporated Mizuki's anger and it was replaced by terror. She tried to back away but her legs failed her and she fell to the ground on her knees. Then as Sasuke struggled to get his footing back, he saw something that made his shoulder radiate pain like it hadn't in a long time. Itachi stopped in his tracks and stared into Mizuki's eyes. She could not look away. Within seconds, her eyes had gone blank and a few seconds later, she let out a heart wrenching scream and clutched at her chest as she coughed up a fair amount of blood. “He's doing it again. He's put her in the genjutsu again! Sakura!” He called as he struggled to stand up. “Release her now! I'll deal with Itachi.” Willing the curse mark to shut its ravings, he ran forward just as another wave of chakra came flying at him. He drew his sword and, charging it with a Chidori, reflected the chakra right back at Itachi. It looked for a second as if he wouldn't be able to dodge it but at the last moment he jumped high and out of the way and the energy hit the ground, blowing a not insignificant crater into the sandy soil. Sasuke charged again but Itachi flicked a finger and a wall of chakra sprung up in front of him. Sasuke couldn't avoid it at his speed and ran full into the wall, yelling as the chakra surged in his body like electricity. Sasuke fell to the ground breathing hard. He glared at his brother. “He's different than before. Sight or no sight he's become even more powerful over the last few years. At this moment, I can't defeat him by myself. At least it was enough.” He looked to where Sakura was tending to Mizuki. His attack had distracted Itachi allowing Sakura to reach Mizuki and release her from the genjutsu. Mizuki collapsed unconscious in Sakura's arms. Realizing the ploy, Itachi turned back to the kunoichi and her charge.
 
“You are Sakura.” He said and Sakura noticed that he was squinting as though his eyes were causing him pain. “You have the power to release my Tsukuyomi? I must say I'm impressed. There are very few who can. However that makes you an unallowable annoyance to me. Forgive me.” He broke into a run towards Sakura and the helpless Mizuki and swung his arm. The red chakra flew towards them in a wave…
 
And hit a wall of sand!
 
“You leave Sakura-chan the hell alone you BASTARD!” came the bellow from the blonde spiky-haired ninja as he leapt over the sand wall. His fury at seeing Sakura threatened was such that his eyes had turned a molten shade of red and his pupils were mere slits. He yelled his rage and before Itachi had a chance to react, Naruto landed a kick expertly to his chest! Itachi stumbled backwards clutching the spot of the impact. He gave Naruto a glare of intense hatred but then without another word, his hands became a flurry of signs and he vanished!
 
The wall of sand collapsed and Naruto ran to Sakura where she sat on the ground holding Mizuki. By the time he reached her, his eyes were their normal shade of bright blue.
 
“Sakura-chan are you alright?” He yelled as he skidded to a halt and dropped to his knees in front of her. In the same movement he scooped Mizuki up in his arms. Sakura stood up and brushed herself off.
 
“I'm fine Naruto but we must get Mizuki-chan back to the hospital on the double!”
 
“Sakura!” Sasuke yelled as he reached his friends. He wanted to make sure Sakura was okay but his attention was diverted by what he had seen and heard his older brother say and do. He looked at Mizuki laying unconscious in Naruto's arms. There was blood on her chin and she was breathing very shallowly. He looked to Sakura but instead of what he planned to ask, out came, “She'll be alright won't she Sakura?” He managed to stifle the shocked look he knew he was about to make.
 
Sakura looked at him for a moment but looked away just as quickly. “We have to go now Naruto!” Naruto nodded and the two leapt off in the direction of the hospital which fortunately was not far away.
 
Sasuke heard footsteps behind him and saw Gaara and Temari approaching Kakashi. The look in Gaara's eyes was positively dangerous. Kakashi began to explain what had happened but Sasuke was in no mood to deal with Gaara's contempt at his being incapable of protecting Mizuki. He leapt off to the hospital after Sakura and Naruto.
 
When Mizuki opened her eyes she had the sensation of moving quickly. Her vision still hazy, she thought at first that she was dreaming. It had to be a dream because she'd never felt so safe. She was being held by something strong and warm and she could hear a heartbeat close to her ear. She forced her eyes open a little more and tried to swallow. She tasted blood which scared her and a small moan escaped her.
 
“It's alright, I've got you.” A soft voice she recognized but could not place sounded from somewhere above her. She wanted to know who was holding her but her eyes would not focus. The voice continued to speak in a soothing tone but she could no longer understand what was being said. Her eyes were heavy and it was taking all of her effort just to draw enough breath. But she was no longer frightened. Whoever had her, she knew she would be safe with those strong arms protecting her so she closed her eyes and let sleep overtake her.