Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Conversations ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
Conversations
 
 
 
When Mizuki next opened her eyes she could feel something incredibly soft and cool underneath her. The metallic taste of blood was still in her mouth and she swallowed reflexively to get rid of it. Content with feeding her meaningless jumbled images and sounds, her brain now had to contend with her consciousness and was scrambling madly trying to arrange those images and sounds so they made sense. The result was making her head pound. She decided not to focus too hard on what had happened and instead focus on where she was and her condition. She could hear faint voices hovering somewhere above her and she strained to listen.
 
“How's your side now Sakura-chan?”
 
“Don't change the subject! You have to be more careful! The seal has weakened even more over the last few years and the more angry you get…”
 
“Well what did you really expect Sakura-chan? He was about to kill you! Was I not supposed to get angry? Besides, my training over the last few years has given me better control. `That' incident will never happen again.”
 
“I saw your eyes Naruto. They haven't been that red in a long time. You can't afford to let that power out anymore, not even for me. Do you think I want to be responsible for that?”
 
“But it's because it's for you Sakura-chan that I can…”
 
“I think she's coming around. Mizuki-chan can you hear me?”
 
Mizuki tried to answer but her breath escaped her. She tried taking a deep breath but only got half way when pain hit her chest and she suddenly got the sensation of trying to breath underwater. Fear flooded her veins but she forced it back and blinked a few times, trying to bring her surroundings into focus. The first thing she saw was a pair of clear blue eyes almost directly over hers. Blinking a few more times, the world gradually became more centred.
 
“Naruto…san?”
 
“Naruto give her some breathing room would you? I need room to work with too you know.” Sakura's voice reached Mizuki and she tried to turn her head in Sakura's direction. “Just lie still Mizuki-chan. You're not in danger anymore but I've still got some work to do on your lungs. Try and sleep some more okay?” Mizuki felt a blessedly cool hand on her forehead.
 
“Gaara…”
 
“He's right outside with the others. Just rest.” Sakura's voice was soft until, “For God's sake, Naruto you're in the way! You know she's awake and going to be fine now so get the heck out before I throw you right back to Konoha!” was said at a much higher volume.
 
“Hmph, probably could too with that super-human strength of yours.” Was the mumbled reply.
 
“Who are you calling a super-human freak of nature!”
 
“No one said anything like that!”
 
“OUT!”
 
Mizuki didn't realize it but she drifted back into sleep with a smile on her face.
 
Naruto looked once more at Mizuki lying on the hospital bed and walked out the door, quietly shutting it behind him. The others were indeed standing together talking and Naruto put a finger to his lips and said, “Mizuki-chan's trying to sleep so we should be quiet.”
 
Sasuke and Kakashi sighed and shook their heads at exactly the same time having heard all too well what a good job he'd done being quiet earlier. Gaara just stared at Naruto.
 
“I take it she'll be fine then?” Kakashi spoke up.
 
“Yeah Sakura-chan's finishing patching her up now. She still wants to leave tomorrow for Konoha. This second bout with the Mangekyou Sharingan was brief but it made her lungs worse so the sooner we get her back to Tsunade no ba-chan the better.” Naruto looked at Sasuke who, from the look on his face was really bothered by what was happening. “Have you been able to make any sense of what Itachi was saying Sasuke?”
 
“Not really. It's clear Itachi is still out to save his eyesight. It's also clear that although he claims to have some sight left, using his eyes still causes great strain on his body. Your being able to land a kick on him at all shows that he was being affected by it. I noticed that his reaction time went right down as well after he tried putting Mizuki back under the Tsukuyomi. Despite his tough act, he's not doing as well as he'd have us believe. But we still can't underestimate him. He's gotten a lot stronger in the last few years, despite his handicap.”
 
“Well it's not like we've been sitting around on our asses for the last three years Sasuke.” Naruto said annoyed. Sasuke ignored him and continued.
 
“I can't figure out what the girl has to do with any of this. She's not an Uchiha and she hasn't even got chakra that we can see much less a Sharingan. Itachi told me that it was a destiny that two Uchiha brother's shared for one to be replacement eyes for the other. I don't understand how she would be able to help Itachi regain his eyesight.”
 
“He said there were ways other than stealing your eyes Sasuke and also that Mizuki-chan was special…that she had what he needed.” Kakashi interrupted. “Could that have to do with her seeming to have no chakra?”
 
“That's more than likely.” Gaara added his two cents. “But how is torturing her through Genjutsu going to get the Uchiha his eyesight back?”
 
No one had an answer to that. They were still silent in their own thoughts when Sakura emerged. “She'll be fine.” She spoke up before anyone could ask. “I was able to repair most of this recent damage so Mizuki-chan will still be able to travel tomorrow. I'm anxious to get her back to Tsunade-sama.”
 
“When he placed her under the Genjutsu this time Sakura, did she remember anything at all?” Kakashi asked.
 
“She said she recalls disconnected images that aren't making a lot of sense. After she rests some, she may regain some sagacity.”
 
“We should not leave her unattended.” Gaara said. “If he had the brazenness to show up in the middle of the village during broad daylight, he could come back tonight.”
 
“I don't think that's likely.” Kakashi and Sasuke said at almost the same time. Sasuke continued. “Using the Mangekyou Sharingan always put a strain on the body and now it seems as though it's even worse for him. It's probable that we won't see him for a few days. But you're right. For him to come out like this and attack us in broad daylight…he's either gone insane or getting desperate.”
 
“I vote for both.” Naruto said with a grunt.
 
“That'll make traveling a lot easier on everyone. But we still shouldn't take any chances.” Sakura sighed and stretched her back. She looked exhausted. “Okay why don't you guys go prepare for tomorrow morning. I'll go watch over Mizuki-chan.”
 
“Wait Sakura I'll….” Sasuke began.
 
“I'll do it Sakura-chan.” Naruto broke in before Sasuke could finish. “You've done enough for now. You need rest too. I'll look after her. Someone can spell me for a while at dinner.” And he walked into the room and shut the door without another word.
 
Everyone stared at the door for a moment in astonishment then Kakashi said stoically, “Alright then. Shall we get going?” And he walked off down the hall.
 
XXX
 
Day had turned into a musky twilight when Sasuke entered Mizuki's room. Naruto was sitting comfortably in a chair by the bed and looking towards the window where Mizuki stood with her back to him. His eyes lit up at the sight of the food tray that Sasuke was carrying. “That looks awesome Sasuke I'm starving!”
 
“This isn't for you dobe. It's for the g…it's for Mizuki. You can go eat with the others. I'll stay with her for a while.”
 
“Are you sure that's a good idea?” Naruto said looking at Mizuki.
 
“It's alright Naruto-san. Go eat, you deserve a break from having to entertain me all afternoon.” Mizuki spoke up. Sasuke looked at her where she was standing looking out the window. She turned to give Naruto a reassuring smile and Sasuke was involuntarily struck again by how strong she seemed. It was obvious that Naruto had made her laugh not long before he had come in, her cheeks were bright pink and her eyes, although still full of fear and mistrust, were twinkling. She coughed a few times and Sasuke could hear her ragged breathing but she either wasn't bothered by it, or wasn't letting herself be bothered by it. He had a feeling it was the latter and found himself looking away from her quickly although he couldn't explain to himself why.
 
“Don't be silly Mizuki-chan it was great being able to talk with you for a while.” Naruto said as he stood up. She favoured him with a bright smile but it disappeared as she looked to Sasuke almost expectantly. Naruto looked from Mizuki to Sasuke like they were two rabid tigers he was about to leave locked in room together. “Alright I'll be back later.” As he passed Sasuke he said quietly, “Be nice teme.” And then he left.
 
“Whatever.” Sasuke placed the tray on the side table and sat down in the chair. Mizuki turned and faced the window once more and did not move. Silence stretched out for a few minutes and Sasuke was just beginning to regret his decision to play bodyguard when Mizuki finally turned and looked at him.
 
Mizuki regarded her would-be protector for a moment with a vague sense of curiosity. She had been utterly terrified of him when his eyes had turned that menacing shade of red and black that was only familiar to her in the farthest depths of her closed off memory. But seeing him sitting there just a few feet away from her, she could tell right away that he was a completely different person than the one who had hurt her. His dark hair fell into his even darker eyes. Eyes that when not the shade of what Sakura had called the Sharingan, seemed empty and pained. “He's the polar opposite of Naruto.” She thought. “How the hell are those two friends?” She realized that knew next to nothing about Saskue and yet she found herself almost upset at his apathy towards her. Perhaps it was because the other leaf shinobi acted so concerned that she noticed his aloof attitude but it bothered her just the same. “No that's not it.” She thought. “This attitude seems feigned. It just doesn't feel like it's really him.” She had no idea where this feeling was coming from but she trusted it.
 
Sasuke met Mizuki's gaze with his own appraising look. Wearing the standard issue Sand village hospital garments (which were an unflattering shade of grey and very baggy) should have made her look pale and sickly but the energy he saw in her warm brown eyes completely overshadowed her drab clothes. She looked strong and full of life so Sasuke was almost surprised when he saw the same look in her eyes as before. A mixture of fear, vague anger and disappointment all directed at him. He didn't understand it but he was determined to not look away from her this time though so they stared at each other challengingly for several seconds until Mizuki finally looked away and chuckled slightly. “That's okay. It's not as though I was actually expecting we would become friends anyway.” She walked over to the bed, sat down and started nibbling at her dinner.
 
“You don't trust me. I know that.”
 
“Not in the slightest. I know I've been about as subtle as a brick wall about it but if it makes you feel any better it's not just you. I don't trust any of them.” She said matter of factly as she bit into a sandwich.
 
“But you don't know why.”
 
“Nope.” She answered flippantly enough but her eyes flashed with annoyance.
 
“I understand why you don't like me but Sakura and Naruto have been nothing but caring and sincere to you.”
 
“You understand why I don't like you do you?” Mizuki paused just before taking another bite and gave Sasuke a fierce look. She looked like she wanted to say something else about it but suddenly switched topics. “Sticking up for your friends huh? That's pretty admirable coming from you.” It was Sasuke's turn to look annoyed. He suddenly had a good idea what Gaara and Mizuki had been talking about. Mizuki correctly interpreted his look and relented. “I'm sorry. That was a low blow, even for me. Look, I'm extremely grateful for what Sakura-san did for me. I know I'd be dead right now if it wasn't for her. I've learned enough talking to Naruto-san for the last few hours to know he's a really loud, really obnoxious, really great person. And believe it or not, I actually defended you to Gaara during our talk earlier when he was determined to hate you for the way you hurt Naruto some years ago. I have no personal grudge against any of you but for some reason I have yet to understand, I'm afraid you'll hurt me and so I can't trust you. I could be wrong, I hope I am but until I get my memory back I have to trust my feelings. At this point, they're really all I have left.”
Sasuke was quiet for several moments. That was the reason Gaara had been treating him so coldly? He was still angry over Sasuke's defection to Orochimaru? And she had defended him. Was that why Gaara was no longer speaking to him with contempt in his voice? He wanted to ask exactly what they'd talked about but Mizuki stood up at that point and walked back over to the window. She was purposely not looking at him but he could see her reflection in the glass. Silent tears coursed down her face.
 
“Mizuki, are you alright?” Sasuke stood up but she waved a hand at him so he sat back down. She sniffed a few times before turning around with a smile on her face.
 
“Yeah I'm okay.” She sat back down and took another bite of her sandwich. She looked like she was enjoying it as much as she would a piece of plaster and she couldn't stop a tear rolling down her cheek.
 
“Do you want me to get Gaara?” Sasuke was getting really uncomfortable now. He wasn't great with the whole emotions thing to begin with and to be faced with this crying girl who he didn't like was making the room seem rather claustrophobic.
 
“No he doesn't need to see this.” She sniffed again and wiped her eyes.
 
“Oh and I get to? Wonderful.” Sasuke thought to himself sourly. He really should have listened to Sakura and let her come up. He couldn't even remember why he had volunteered in the first place.
 
Mizuki must have seen the look on his face because she smiled grimly. “I'm sorry Sasuke. These tears have been threatening for a while now and I've tried so hard to keep anyone from seeing them. But I haven't had a moment alone since I woke up here and I guess I couldn't keep them hidden forever.”
 
“It's alright.” Sasuke said as he purposely found an interesting mark on the wall behind them. “It's not like I blame you. I know what he's capable of and I can only imagine how much it hurts.”
 
“He knows me you know.” She said and Sasuke looked at her sharply. “I was thinking about what he said earlier. That I was still feisty and that he always admired that in me. It implies he's known me for some time.”
 
Sasuke just stared as he thought back to the encounter. “You're right. He did say that.”
 
“And the second time he put me in that…thing that you…”
 
“Genjutsu.”
 
“Whatever.” She said irritated. “I completely understand what it is now.” She shuddered involuntarily. “I still can't remember what happened last time and I can't remember exactly what happened this time but I get pictures that flash in my mind. Dark, frightening faces floating in red darkness that I can't recognize and always the feeling of being trapped, unable to move.”
 
“As if you were tied down.” Sasuke said what he knew she couldn't. She nodded gravely at him. “If you're right then it's unlikely he just accosted you one day thinking you might have what it takes to heal his eyes. He'd probably known about you for a while and either he captured you just recently when he was ready to do whatever it is he wants to do or it's even possible he approached you a while ago and gave the pretence of friendship. He may have even pretended to be a poor beggar with bad eyes or something to gain sympathy from you, to gain your trust. Then when he had you right where he wanted you…” Sasuke looked off into space as his brain fought with this new info.
 
“But why here? Why out in the open where someone like Gaara could find me? Why not just complete what he was going to do somewhere private where he couldn't be disturbed?” The tone with which she asked that question showed that it had been on her mind for some time.
 
“It's lucky for you he didn't. Although the thought's crossed our minds more than once. It's almost as if he intended for you to be found by Gaara.”
 
“Because he knew that Gaara would send for your team?”
 
“Perhaps but I don't know.”
 
“You know, if Itachi has known me for a while and…well it's not a secret he hates you guys…let's say for arguments sake that I did trust him at some point. Could it be that he told me bad things about you that I can't remember but are still there subconsciously? Could that be why I can't bring myself to trust you?”
 
“It's possible…” Sasuke paused as a particularly disturbing thought suddenly entered his mind. He didn't want the extremely perceptive Mizuki to pick up that something was wrong so he shook it off quickly and continued. “But whether or not he did the effect remains the same. I can't make you trust me Mizuki. All I can say is that I have no intention of harming you. We were sent here to find and capture Itachi if we can and to help you. It's my job and that's what I'm going to do. Whether you like it or not really.”
 
“Your job huh?” Mizuki's eyes had dried completely and she now regarded him with a smug look. “Well don't I feel special?”
 
Sasuke looked shocked for a moment and then threw his own smug look back at her. “You know, I really don't think I like you at all.”
 
She raised an eyebrow at him. “Oh stop you're breaking my heart.”
 
Sasuke was ready with a retort but a knock at the door silenced him. Gaara entered the room followed by Sakura, Naruto and Kankurou.
 
“Everyone still alive in here?” Naruto called out from the back of the line.
 
“You won't be in another few seconds you keep that up.” Mizuki called back with a smug smile. As everyone entered and began chatting, Sasuke silently stood up and just as silently left the room. He closed the door behind him and started off down the hall. His head was swimming with several different thoughts.
 
Mizuki's wit was as sharp as his own. Extremely reluctantly, Sasuke realized he did hold some respect for this weird girl. She could definitely hold her own. But that was overshadowed by the disturbing idea he'd gotten. The more he thought about it, the more it made sense and the colder he felt.
 
“That bastard. God I hope I'm wrong.”