Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Out Of The Hospital and Into the Fire ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
Out Of The Hospital And Into The Fire
 
 
Less than an hour later Sakura, Sasuke and Naruto had been called to Tsunade's office. Neji had been called in to guard Mizuki in the meantime, his Byakugan making him the next best opponent against Itachi.
 
“She has healed that quickly Sakura?” Tsunade asked with eyebrows raised.
 
“It's amazing Tsunade-sama. I've never seen anything like it. I can't find anything that references anything close to it either. There's no need for her to be in a hospital anymore.”
 
“Well then it becomes a question of where to put her while she has her sessions with the Anbu memory experts.”
 
“She can stay with me.” Sakura said quickly before Naruto's opening mouth could release any words. “Don't even think about it Naruto. You're house is a complete pigsty. I don't want Mizuki-chan to get sick again now that she's just recovered.” Naruto glared at her.
 
“I appreciate the offer Sakura but I've already decided where Mizuki will stay for the remainder of her time here in Konoha. It's actually why I called all of you here. Sasuke, have you any perception at all as to when Itachi will come for Mizuki?”
 
“No. Only that he will. I'm a little surprised that he hasn't shown up yet but I may be overestimating his state of health. He may be physically unable to enter Konoha undetected. But one thing we can't underestimate is his need. If his health is as bad as I think it is then he's going to have to do…whatever he has to do with Mizuki soon. Desperation will push him here sooner rather than later.”
 
“I thought as much.” Tsunade sighed. She looked at Sasuke with an almost sympathetic look. “Sasuke, you moved back into your old family home several months ago yes?” Sasuke had been living in the same building as Naruto for the first year and a half since coming back to Konoha. Being a missing Nin, his return called several policies into place, the most important being that he needed to be constantly supervised by a Konoha ninja until his loyalties could be proven again. He had met the requirements and had finally been able to live in his family home again.
 
“Yes. Why?” Sasuke asked, his eyes narrowing.
 
“And it has several rooms?” Tsunade pretty much asked without having to ask.
 
“Oh you have got to be kidding me.” If Sasuke's mouth were to be any more puckered, he could have swallowed his own lips.
 
“Shishou you can't be serious!” Sakura eyes were alight with shock.
 
“What? What's everyone's problem?” Naruto looked from Sasuke to Sakura clearly confused.
 
“I know you have some issues with Mizuki but they are as of this moment supremely unimportant. Her safety until Itachi can be captured is of the utmost importance. Do you understand Sasuke?”
 
“Yes of course I do.” Sasuke said resignedly. “And I will protect her Tsunade-sama, I promise you that.”
 
“I know you will.” Tsunade replied seriously. “But don't worry. I will provide breaks. For you and for her.” She turned her attention to Sakura. “You will handle Mizuki's release from the hospital Sakura and send Neji back to see me when you do. Naruto, you will advise Kakashi of her change of address and tell him to alert the anbu memory specialists. Memory retrieval begins tomorrow.”
 
“But I don't understand. Where is she going to stay?” Naruto said exasperated.
 
“Oh come on Naruto.” Sakura said grabbing his arm after bowing respectfully to Tsunade. “Maybe you'll catch on when we break it to Mizuki-chan.”
 
XXX
 
“WHAT?” Naruto didn't have a quiet voice to begin with but the windows practically shook with the volume of his yell.
 
Mizuki just smiled at Naruto's outburst. “It's alright. I was sort of expecting something like this. If Tsunade-sama was so keen on having Sasuke with me all the time then I guess it make sense. (even if it makes me cringe)” she thought the last to herself.
 
“If Mizuki-chan can deal with it I'm sure you can Naruto.” Sakura said calmly enough but inner Sakura was raising hell. “She's going to be living with my Sasuke!” Her inner voice screamed. “Alone with him! Sleeping just a wall away with no one else there! Thank God they hate each other!” She smiled a million dollars as she grabbed Mizuki's small bag with the clothes she had received while staying in the Sand village. “Now that you're out Mizuki-chan, we're going to have to go shopping for some more suitable clothes for you. I know these don't fit very well and you can't wander around Konoha in one of our hospital gowns either. We can go after we get you settled into Sasuke-kun's place.”
 
Mizuki nodded only half-listening as she headed for the hospital room door. With the face of one heading to a funeral, Naruto held the door open for her and the four walked out of the hospital and towards the east end of the village where the entire Uchiha clan had once lived.
 
A few years after the infamous massacre, the Sandaime had ordered the area to be cleaned up and made of use for the rest of village citing that memories, especially ones horrible as this, should remain memories. So the village had slowly taken over the homes and businesses that the Uchiha clan had been responsible for. In deference to the clan's sole survivor however, Sasuke's house had been left empty with the understanding that he would once again live there when he was old enough. It had never happened before Sasuke's defection but when the Godaime had tried to make use of the house after his disappearance, Naruto had stopped her with his undying determination that he would bring his friend home. And so the house stood empty, waiting for its master to return to it. And at last, its patience had been rewarded.
 
Mizuki's eyes went wide as she saw the sprawling estate. “It's one of the biggest houses I've seen in the village.” She thought amazed. “Who was Sasuke's family?” The house was indeed spacious, with five bedrooms grouped at the back end, a large open concept living area and kitchen and a mud room with a large porch off it that wrapped around the whole house. And the entire structure was surrounded by a lush garden with a man-made pond. Like an appendage of the pond, a stream ran under a small bridge by a pavilion that looked much newer than the rest of the house. Sasuke had taken great care to restore his family home to its former grandeur but could not resist adding the pavilion in the backyard. It was his quiet place for meditation and his haven when the memories that still swam in his house proved too much.
 
Mizuki felt almost dizzy with apprehension as she followed Sasuke up the steps and waited as he unlocked the door. She had shown a strong smile to Naruto but her insides were squirming violently. “How am I going to do this?” She thought wildly. Of everyone she could have stayed with why did it have to be him? Even Sakura would have been a better choice. She barely managed to stammer out, “Sorry for the intrusion” before stepping over the threshold. Sasuke just grunted and looked away. She looked around the front room, trying to calm the thumping in her chest. She had no logical reason for her fear but her heart was screaming at her that it would be better to face off against Itachi and die than to live with this man she couldn't stand for even one day. At least her suffering would be over sooner.
 
Naruto had carried her bag for her and now passed her to one of the back bedrooms with a look on his face that almost mirrored what Mizuki was feeling. Mizuki had time to wonder why Naruto was so upset about the arrangement when Sasuke spoke.
 
“Naruto put the bag in the second room on your right.”
 
“But that's right next to your room!” The sound of Naruto's voice placed him in the bedroom at the end of the hall. The farthest one from Sasuke's.
 
“No kidding.” Sasuke replied. “If something should happen during the night, don't you think it'd be easier to hear if she were in the next room? Honestly dobe.”
 
“Damn I was hoping he wouldn't notice either.” Inner Sakura seethed. Aloud Sakura said, “Okay Mizuki-chan, we need to get you something a little more flattering than grey pants and a t-shirt Let's go shopping for oh I don't know…a couple hours.” Her smile could have lit a thousand light bulbs and Mizuki found herself a little frightened of it.
 
“Is she really okay with this?” Mizuki thought as Sakura practically grabbed her arm and dragged her out the front door. Sasuke followed grumpily.
 
“Can't this wait?” He grumbled. “It's the first time I've been home in over a week too you know.”
 
“Oh don't worry about it Sasuke-kun.” Sakura chirped at him. “Let's stop by Yamanaka flower shop to see if Ino wants to join us.”
 
“Naruto.” Sasuke groaned
 
“Yeah I know.” Naruto said back just as unhappily. They had seen Sakura like this before. Shopping mode. It was going to be a long afternoon.
 
“I have to stay with them you know.” Sasuke groaned again.
 
“Don't worry. I'm with ya teme.” Naruto patted Sasuke on the shoulder.
 
“You're a real pal Naruto.”
 
XXX
 
Two hours later the group, of course joined by Ino, had been to four different stores; and hadn't bought a single thing. They were just coming up on the last store on the strip when they heard a loud “Naruto-nii-chan!”
 
Naruto looked up the street and smiled. “Konohamaru! It's been a while! Had any good missions lately?” Mizuki looked to where Naruto was yelling and saw a young boy about thirteen years of age running towards them. He stopped a few feet away and started talking to Naruto animatedly about his latest mission to help rebuild a house recently destroyed in a fire. When he had finished he said hello quickly to everyone there before stopping to stare at Mizuki.
 
“Who's this Naruto-nii-chan? A new girlfriend?” He said slyly, winking at Naruto. Sakura's eyes went three shades of red and she bopped Konohamaru over the head.
 
“You're too young to say things like that in such a tone!”
 
“Ah Sakura-chan I think that was a little harsh.” Naruto said placating and introduced Mizuki to Konohamaru. Mizuki smiled at Konohamaru but when he smiled at her, she suddenly felt as though all warmth had left her body. She could feel gooseflesh cropping up on her arms and her heart was beating uncomfortably fast. She didn't want the others seeing anything was wrong so she closed her eyes and pushed the fear back. When she opened them again she looked Konohamaru in the eye. The feeling did not return.
 
“I must be tired.” She thought to herself. She put on her best smile and said, “It's nice to meet you Konohamaru-kun. Naruto-san's told me you're his rival for the next Hokage.”
 
“Hmmm I think Naruto-nii-chan has other things on his mind right now than becoming Hokage. Not that I blame him. I'll see you later nee-chan.” Konohamaru winked and ran off before Sakura could take another whack at him. Mizuki looked at Naruto who was trying to play turtle to hide his suddenly red face. Sakura was shooting him a dirty look and Sasuke started walking away.
 
“Can we get on with it? The next store is the last one Sakura. Whether you find something here or not we're leaving right after.” He snapped as he walked into the last store on the corner. Sakura scowled but quickly followed with the others.
 
“What about this outfit Sakura-san?” Mizuki held up a pair of black pants with a white top.
 
“No no Mizuki-chan, think colour. Think feminine!”
 
“I'm a girl Sakura-san what do you think I'm thinking?”
 
“Sakura look at this!” Ino stepped up with a dress in hand.
 
“Oh that's perfect! Mizuki-chan, try this on!”
 
“Are you sure I should be buying things like this considering the situation I'm in?” Mizuki said uncertainly eyeing the low neckline.
 
“For once I actually agree with her.” Sasuke's impatient voice came from the bench he and Naruto had been sitting on for the last twenty minutes. He did not look towards the three but said, “Her life is in constant danger until Itachi is captured, and it's going to be really hard to run away in a little dresses and skirts.”
 
Mizuki shot Sasuke a dangerous look. She grabbed the dress from Ino's hand and stomped into the change room. A couple of minutes went by and then Mizuki's uneasy voice sounded from within. “I don't know about this Sakura-san.”
 
“Come out let me see!” Sakura prodded.
 
The door opened with a reluctant squeak and Mizuki stepped out.
 
“Perfect.” Ino breathed. “Do they have my size too?” She immediately started pulling the rack apart.
 
“Mizuki-chan that's beautiful!” Sakura said. “It might be a little too beautiful actually.” Inner Sakura groaned but Sakura kept on her bright smile.
 
Mizuki looked up and felt her face turning bright red as she saw Sakura and Ino's reactions. She immediately looked away and ended up looking right at Naruto who, at the sight of her, had sat up straight and wore the look of someone who had just been sucker punched. She felt her face grow even redder as his eyes roved her entire body, seeming to take it all in. She looked away quickly and did not see Naruto poke Sasuke hard in the ribs.
 
“What the hell dobe I don't care what ugly thing she has…” his voice trailed off as he saw Mizuki.
 
The dress was knee length and had an empire waist. It was a bright turquoise with a geometric pattern of whites and yellows running through it. The neckline was low but flatteringly so and it was finished off by short cap sleeves. Mizuki was radiant in it, even with her apple red face.
 
Sasuke remembered vaguely that he had been in the middle of saying something but he shook it off, stood up and walked out of the store. “Get whatever you want. It's not like she'll be here long anyway.”
 
Naruto stood up and walked over to where Mizuki stood looking beautiful, and hurt. “That dress looks great on you Mizuki-chan.” He smiled brightly but Mizuki barely paid attention as she watched Sasuke stalk out the door.
 
“Thanks Naruto-san.” She mumbled and turned away quickly. She went back into the change room without another word.
 
When she emerged, Sakura grabbed the dress out of her hand and ran up to the check-out with it and a few other decidedly less colourful and feminine items before Mizuki could say anything. Mizuki walked slowly up to the cash. The clerk looked from Sakura to Mizuki and his face dawned with recognition.
 
“Hey you're that girl everyone's been talking about. But you're not seven feet tall.”
 
“Sorry to disappoint you.” Mizuki mumbled sarcastically and grabbed her bag. She walked out of the store and in her annoyance, walked straight into Neji who was just turning the corner. She bounced right off him and fell backwards to land straight on her behind in the dirt.
 
“Huh? Mizuki-chan! Are you alright?” A hand shot down towards her, she grabbed it and pulled herself up.
 
“Neji-san! I'm so sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going. Are you alright?” Mizuki stood up and bowed slightly to Neji, feeling absolutely mortified. “Can this day get any worse?” She thought miserably.
 
“No harm done.” He smiled at her reassuringly and she felt the familiar tingle come to her cheeks. She suddenly found herself wishing she was still wearing the dress. “I'm glad to see they finally let you leave the hospital.”
 
“Huh? Oh yeah Tsunade-sama and Sakura-san did a great job so it didn't take long. I've never felt better in my life.”
 
“And then you had to ruin your suave exit by falling flat on your ass.” Sasuke said smugly from beside the door where he had been waiting for them to exit the store.
 
“I don't remember asking for your two cents.” Mizuki said without turning.
 
“Oh two cents nothing. That one was free of charge.”
 
“So are most worthless things in life.”
 
Neji watched the exchange with interest. Tsunade and Sakura had told him that Sasuke and Mizuki did not get along but he had no idea it was this bad.
 
“It's a good thing Tsunade-sama made the request of me that she did.” He spoke loudly to get their attention. They stopped fighting and looked at him.
 
“What request?” Naruto said with narrow eyes as he came out of the store followed closely by Sakura and Ino.
 
“It seems that Tsunade-sama anticipates that Mizuki-chan will be the village's guest for a while. And despite her confidence that Sasuke will be able to protect his charge, Tsunade-sama feels it prudent that she learn at least some basic fighting skills while she's here. To that effect, I've been asked to begin training you in basic Taijutsu after your sessions with the Anbu. That is, if that's acceptable to you Mizuki-chan.”
 
Mizuki was silent in surprise. One on one training with Neji acceptable? “Oh Hell yeah!” she thought but she was also amused at Tsunade's attempt at giving her and Sasuke a break from each other. Out loud she said, “I'm honoured Neji-san but, does Tsunade-sama really think I'll be here that long?”
 
“I thought we determined that her memories weren't buried that deeply.” Sasuke said sharply.
 
“While that is likely, my analysis regarding her complete absence of chakra is going to make the Anbu's job a little more difficult. They will have to exert a large amount of energy to properly induce a hypnotic genjutsu. As a result they will not be able to keep it up for long. It will probably take several days to retrieve her memory completely.”
 
Sasuke sighed dejectedly but Mizuki felt her heart thump heavily in her chest at Neji's use of the word genjutsu.
 
“Training eh? I'll help too Mizuki-chan!” Naruto spoke up. I've learned lots of great jutsu's that will help you fight back against Itachi.” He grinned widely and Mizuki favoured him with a large smile of her own.
 
“She can't learn Ninjutsu without chakra you knucklehead.” Sakura spat out as she whacked him across the back of the head. “You have other duties too. Sasuke-kun is the only one who's been told to spend every minute with Mizuki-chan, the rest of us have things to do!”
 
“Jeez Sakura-chan that was unnecessary.” Naruto said rubbing his head. Sasuke just sighed.
 
“Well at least it'll get you out of my hair for a few hours.” He said as he walked past the group. “Now if you all don't mind, I'd like to go home to get some rest. Are you coming Mizuki?” He asked impatiently without looking back.
 
Mizuki looked after Sasuke's quickly retreating form, sighed and shook her head. “I'll see you tomorrow then Neji-san?”
 
“Yes. I shall pick you up when you have recovered from the memory retrieval.”
 
“Recovered huh? Seems to be all I'm doing lately.” She turned to Naruto. “I appreciate the offer Naruto-san but I don't want your other duties to suffer because of me. Thanks for the clothes Sakura-san, Ino-san. I'll see you later I guess.” And coercing her feet to move, she walked off after Sasuke.
 
Naruto stood still for several moments afterward, watching Mizuki catch up to Sasuke and fall in step beside him. First Sasuke and now Neji. Did that old bag of a Hokage really think he was that useless? “I told Mizuki-chan I would protect her and that's a promise I'm going to keep.” He said quietly. He turned around with a mischievous smile and headed off to finally find Kakashi to give him Tsunade's message.