Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ A Day Of Filler ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7
A Day Of Filler
 
 
“I see. So that's how it is then.” Tsunade sat back in her chair and sighed. She closed her eyes and laced her fingers together just as she always did when she was thinking hard. Kakashi, Sasuke, Sakura, and Naruto were all standing before her desk. They had left Mizuki sitting with Shizune to look after her in the waiting area outside the spacious office, much to both of their annoyance. Kakashi had just finished relating all that had happened in the last several days and Tsunade was taking a moment to absorb it all.
 
“Alright!” Tsunade suddenly barked, opening her eyes and looking sternly at the ninja's in front of her. She pulled out a piece of parchment and began writing on it. “Naruto, you will take this and the girl to the hospital. Hand this to the medic on duty, I believe it's Hiro-sensei today. She's to be prepped for surgery, I will be along as soon as I have talked with Sakura about the best way to heal her. You may then take the rest of the day to rest. Kakashi, you will alert the Anbu and all the Jounin in the village to what I'm sure will be Uchiha Itachi's imminent attack on the girl. While she's here the village must be put on high alert. Sasuke, you have proven yourself to be equal to Itachi's strength. I want you to stay close to the girl. She may be here for some time while we attempt to recover her memory and every day she's here, brings us closer to a time when Itachi may attack.”
 
Sasuke looked like he'd just eaten something sour. “You mean you want me to play bodyguard?”
 
“Do you have a problem with that?” Tsunade asked slowly.
 
“Well Itachi has grown in strength these last few years. He has powers I've never seen before. I'm not sure I'm the right choice to protect Mizuki.”
 
“A Sharingan is the only thing that is a match for another Sharingan. And Kakashi has work to do around the village. Your Sharingan and the fact that you fought him once before and held your own makes you the perfect choice to protect the girl, whether or not years have passed. Is that understood?”
 
“Yes Tsunade-sama.” Sasuke said quietly.
 
“Regardless of this being a request from the sand village's Kazekage, it is in our best interests to have the girl here as a lure for Uchiha Itachi. Capture is our highest priority but if he leaves no other choice, eliminate him!”
 
“Tsunade-sama…” Sasuke began.
 
“I don't want to hear it Sasuke. You're mission while the girl is here is to guard her life. If I hear that you left her unprotected to go after your brother the consequences will be severe. Am I being clear?” Her voice had dropped to almost a whisper. Sasuke just glared at her. The others watched but wisely stayed quiet. This had not been the first argument between Sasuke and Tsunade about Itachi.
 
“Any other questions?” Tsunade asked suddenly looking at the entire group, taking Sasuke's silence as compliance.
 
The team shook their heads. “Very well, dismissed!” Everyone but Sakura turned to leave.
 
Mizuki was trying to alleviate her nervousness by chatting with Shizune but Tsunade's right hand was annoyed at being left out of the conversation and wasn't making for a good conversation partner. So Mizuki had taken to pacing back and forth, waiting for the leader of the village she hadn't even met yet to decide her fate. When the door to the office finally opened she jumped in surprise. Kakashi was the first to leave and as he passed by Mizuki, he paused to place a hand on her shoulder. “Everything will be fine Mizuki-chan.” Then he left. Mizuki felt heartened until she saw Naruto and Sasuke come out. The looks on their faces said nothing was fine at all. Naruto saw her reaction to their expressions and he forced a big smile.
 
“Tsunade-no-ba-chan is going to fix you up over at the hospital. We're to go there ahead of her. It's this way.” He pointed to where Sasuke was already almost out of sight. Mizuki sighed internally with relief for nothing else than it seemed that she wouldn't have to deal with Sasuke and his attitude anymore. Her relief was short lived however when she noticed that she and Naruto were following Sasuke's path.
 
“Does Sasuke live around here Naruto-san?” She asked although she felt she already knew the answer.
 
“No Sasuke lives in the east end of the village. He's coming to the hospital with us because Tsunade-no-ba-chan thinks he's the best choice to protect you while you're here.”
 
“What about you?”
 
“Oh I'll be around don't you worry.” He said lightheartedly enough but Mizuki could hear a slight trace of bitterness in his voice.
 
“Good. If I had to spend every day without someone to talk to I think I'd end up comatose and not just an amnesiac.”
 
Naruto gave her a bright smile which she returned and they continued on. The hospital was not far from the Hokage's office and they were there in just a few minutes. When she and Naruto reached the entrance, they found Sasuke already there talking to another shinobi with long black hair and the strangest, most beautiful eyes Mizuki had ever seen.
 
“Oi Neji!” Naruto called out as they approached. Neji and Sasuke turned at the sound of Naruto's voice and Mizuki suddenly felt very self-conscious under Neji's stare.
 
“How's it going Neji?” Naruto said cheerfully as he reached the steps of the hospital.
 
“I just received word from Kakashi-sempai to meet you here at the hospital. Apparently there's something about our guest he'd like me to confirm.” He looked at Mizuki appraisingly. She fought the blush she could feel forming on her cheeks.
 
“You're good? Hey that's great. I'm doing awesome thanks for asking! Sheesh lighten up.” Naruto groaned and shook his head. Mizuki chuckled and even Sasuke smiled. They caught each other grinning and immediately looked in opposite directions, their smiles gone.
 
“He wants you to check her out with your Byakugan, Neji, to see if you can locate her chakra network.” Sasuke said seriously. “But it can wait until we're settled inside the hospital. I don't like standing out in the open too obviously like this.”
 
“Understood.” Neji said turning to go into the hospital.
 
“If you say so Mr. Bodyguard.” Naruto said cheekily. Sasuke glared at him and Mizuki quickly slipped between the two and into the hospital before the inevitable argument started. She caught up with Neji who had made it to the administration desk and was talking to the nurse in charge. He smiled at Mizuki when he saw her and she felt her face growing hot again.
 
“I did not have a chance to introduce myself. I am Hyuuga Neji. You're name is Mizuki?”
 
“For now.” Mizuki answered with a smile.
 
“Yes I understand that you lost your memory after your first encounter with Uchiha Itachi.”
 
“Unfortunately, or fortunately take your pick. I don't know which one to choose at this point.”
 
“I'm friends with some of the anbu who will be working on regaining your memory after you're properly healed. They are highly skilled. It should not take them long to retrieve it.”
 
“That'd be nice. But why are you looking for my…whatever it is they called it? Do you have the same ability as Sasuke?”
 
“No my eyes are quite different than Sasuke's. You'll see.” He said quickly as Sasuke and Naruto finally entered the hospital looking rather peeved at each other.
 
Naruto walked up to the front desk and handed the nurse the note Tsunade had given him. She nodded and called an orderly over to show them to the room. They followed the orderly in silence and when they arrived, he asked Mizuki to change into the hospital gown and for everyone to leave.
 
“Just one moment please.” Neji said and stepped toward Mizuki. “Excuse me Mizuki-chan.” Mizuki's confusion was replaced by shock when he muttered “Byakugan!” All of a sudden his eyes were large and the veins around them were standing out from the strain. They remained that way for only a few seconds, then without a word, his eyes were back to normal. “Interesting.” Was all he said.
 
“Well?” Sasuke asked impatiently.
 
“Sorry Sasuke. I've been told to report only to Tsunade-sama.” He said almost smugly. Sasuke and Naruto huffed in annoyance. Neji turned to Mizuki again. “I hope you are feeling better soon Mizuki-chan. Please take care.” He bowed and left.
 
“What the hell was that just now?” Mizuki said, still slightly shocked by what she had just seen.
 
Before Naruto could explain the orderly spoke up. “You can tell her later. Tsunade-sama will be here momentarily and we have to prep her for surgery. You will have to leave.”
 
“I'm not going anywhere.” Sasuke spoke up. “I'm to stay with her under Tsunade-sama's orders in case of attack.”
 
“Then you can wait outside the room for now.” The orderly's voice was growing harsher.
 
“Then let me know when she's ready.” Sasuke said just as harshly and he left the room, followed closely by Naruto. They exited into the hallway and the door slammed behind them. They stood silent for a few minutes then Sasuke said, “You can go now Naruto. I've got things under control here.”
 
“Not likely.” Naruto said. “You may be the best choice to protect Mizuki-chan from Itachi but I'm the best choice to protect her from you. Besides, she's going to need a friendly face around when she wakes up.”
 
“Suit yourself.” Sasuke said simply. They were still waiting in the hallway when Tsunade and Sakura arrived.
 
“Is she ready yet?” Tsunade called out. As if waiting for her cue, the door opened and the orderly came out followed by Mizuki who's face almost matched the white hospital gown she was now dressed in. She bowed deeply to Tsunade.
 
“I spoke with Neji on my way in here. He had several interesting things to say about you Mizuki. It's going to be an interesting challenge healing you.” She looked at Mizuki in the same appraising way as Neji had but coming from Tsunade, it was just frightening.
 
Mizuki could feel the blood drain from her face. “I'm sorry for all the trouble I'm causing you.”
 
“Oh trouble indeed.” Tsunade said, her voice growing hard. Beside her, Sakura just sighed. “Leaving this village open to attacks from one of the most powerful shinobi's of our time, not to mention all the time and manpower it's going to take to look after you.”
 
“That's out of line you old hag!” Naruto immediately spat out as he stepped in front of Mizuki.
 
“Silence!” She yelled at Naruto. He immediately fell silent but glowered at her and she turned her attention back to Mizuki. She spoke again and said not unkindly, “Fortunately, this village is equal to any trouble you could possibly cause. And willing. As is evident by Naruto's outburst.” She smiled briefly and then looked at Naruto. “Alright you. Out! You've earned your rest. You too Sasuke. There's not much you can do while she's in surgery. I'll send for you when I'm finished.”
 
“I'm not leaving.” Naruto said simply. Sakura stared at him for a moment then turned to Sasuke.
 
“And you?”
 
“I've been charged with protecting her haven't I? And even if my charge is annoying, I take it seriously.” He looked at Naruto. “I'm not leaving either.”
 
Tsunade's annoyance was only outmatched by Sakura's. “Fine!” Tsunade barked. “Go to the waiting room and wait for us there.” She stalked off down the hall.
 
Sakura took Mizuki's arm gently. “It'll be over before you know it Mizuki-chan.” She smiled and led Mizuki away.
 
“I'll be here when you wake up Mizuki-chan don't worry.” Naruto called out after her. “Do your best!”
 
Mizuki favoured him with a troubled smile before disappearing down the hall with Sakura.
 
XXX
 
Three days later, the strange girl with no memory and no chakra was the talk of Konoha. (Nothing ever remains a secret for long with Naruto in possession of it.) The girl herself was still in the hospital recovering from the surgery that successfully healed her lungs and any leftover damage done by Itachi. Recovering quite rapidly in fact.
 
“It's so strange.” Sakura murmured quietly as she poured over the latest dusty volume she had pulled from the library in an attempt to research any other incident of a human being not having any chakra. It had taken her and Tsunade a full day and a half to recover themselves from the strain of healing Mizuki. Sakura had never felt a drain on her reserves like it. She literally could not stand after the operation was finished. Tsunade, although still standing, was pale and leaning heavily on Shizune for support.
 
“Life doesn't exist without chakra.” Sakura murmured to herself. “Chakra is the result of a mixture of stamina and spiritual energy. We know Mizuki has stamina. At the rate she's healing she may have even more stamina than Naruto. Which should be impossible considering that all of Naruto's incredible stamina comes from the Kyuubi living inside him. Why is having no chakra healing her so quickly?”
 
“Sakura?” A voice suddenly sounded beside her so quietly it made her jump right out of her chair.
 
“Ino! You scared the hell out of me what are you doing?”
 
Ino was laughing freely at her friend's expression. “I called your name several times billboard brow but you were so absorbed in that ancient book you didn't hear me.”
 
“What was that Ino pig?” Sakura said back dangerously. Sakura and Ino had been very close friends when they were little but a rivalry over Sasuke had sprouted between them and they had spent much of their ninja careers trying to outdo each other in everything. Even after acknowledging each other's power during the Chuunin exams and solidifying their friendship once more, they couldn't get past their usual insults to each other. Although much of their anger was now a façade for old times sake.
 
“What are you doing anyway?” Ino came up beside Sakura and looked at the page she had been reading. “The origin of life?”
 
“I'm trying to figure out why Mizuki-chan is lying there in the hospital, healing more rapidly than anyone ever has after that kind of operation, hell even breathing, without even an ounce of chakra or a chakra network.” Neji's report to Tsunade had made the conclusion that there existed no system of any kind for chakra production or flow within Mizuki. He could see her normal circulatory system and he could see that she had vast quantities of energy but he had no idea where the energy was coming from or how it was so evenly distributed throughout her body. The mystery was deepening.
 
“Oh yeah I heard about her when Team Asuma returned from our latest mission.”
 
Sakura smiled. It had been a few years since Sarutobi Asuma's death at the hands of the Akatsuki member Hidan but Ino, Shikamaru and Chouji still referred to themselves as “Team Asuma” in honour of their old sensei.
 
“Yeah her story has been causing a practical uproar since Naruto told Kiba about her. And you know how well those two keep secrets.”
 
“I'll say. I stopped to talk to Chihiro ba-chan on the way over here and she said that Mizuki was a secret experiment planted by the Akatsuki in the Sand village to seduce all the men so the Sand village could take over Konoha and Uchiha Itachi would be Hokage.”
 
Sakura just stared at Ino. “I literally have nothing to say to that Ino.”
 
“So…is she?” Ino winked at Sakura.
 
“An Akatsuki spy for the Sand Village? Ino that's so stupid I'm not even going to dignify it with an answer.”
 
“No no!” Ino leaned in even closer. “I mean, is she attractive?”
 
“Huh?” Sakura looked confused. “Well yeah I suppose so.” Even as she said the words, images of Mizuki and Naruto sitting by the fire talking and laughing burned their way to the front of her mind. She shoved them back and said, “Yeah Mizuki-chan is really pretty actually, however,” She shut the book with a louder than necessary bang and stood up. “I'm glad that you interrupted me. I'm supposed to be giving Mizuki-chan her check-up today. Why don't you come with me and see for yourself?”
 
“Sounds good to me.” Ino helped Sakura put away her books and they walked to the hospital together.
 
They arrived to a scene somewhat different than that which had become familiar in the last few days. Usually Mizuki would be sitting in a chair beside her bed reading some books she had requested from Sakura about the history of the world she had forgotten. Sasuke would be sitting in a chair over by the window and staring out of it looking morose and pissed off. There had been no sign of Itachi since the altercation in the Sand Village and it was putting everyone, especially Sasuke in a bad mood waiting for the worst. Well almost everyone. The only person who didn't seem to mind Itachi taking his time was also the only one missing. Naruto, who's constant enthusiasm and energy had kept Mizuki and Sasuke from having to speak to each other and so kept from losing their minds, had been called away by Tsunade to join Kiba in an afternoon of manual labour for being such blabber mouths. As a result the silence was deafening as they entered the room. Mizuki was sitting in the same chair she usually did but the book was lying forgotten on her lap. Her arms were crossed, her face was beat red and she looked positively annoyed. Sasuke was sitting in his chair being as diligent as ever in his efforts to look morose and pissed off to be babysitting. But his face too was red and he kept shooting glances at Mizuki as if he was waiting for her to say something. Sakura sighed internally.
 
“I knew I left the two of them alone too long. I wonder what they were fighting about this time.” She closed the door behind her and Ino loudly to announce their presence and Sasuke and Mizuki both looked up surprised. Sakura saw Mizuki's face pale considerably and chided herself for scaring her when she was already so uneasy. She put on her best smile.
 
“Well it's like I never left.” She said smugly as Ino came up beside her.
 
Mizuki and Sasuke both gave Sakura the same completely unimpressed look. Then Mizuki's eyes went blank at the newcomer as Sasuke waved a hand nonchalantly and said, “Hey Ino.”
 
“Having fun Sasuke-kun?” Ino said smiling.
 
“Hmph always.” Sasuke replied looking back out of the window. Mizuki shot her protector another dark look and Sakura just shook her head. Ino switched her attention to Mizuki and stepped forward.
 
“Hey, I'm Ino. You must be Mizuki-chan. I've heard a lot about you.”
 
“Well I don't doubt that.” Mizuki replied. “That Naruto couldn't keep a secret if my life depended on it. Oh wait…it does!” She smiled and shook her head. She wasn't really angry with Naruto, she was just amazed that within an hour of her waking up from the surgery, after he'd made sure she was going to be okay, he'd run right out to get his fill of his precious ramen. On the way he'd met Kiba and had excitedly told him all about the adventures of the last week. Kiba had told Shino and Hinata, (who he'd been going to meet for training) Shino told Lee, Hinata told Ten Ten and the both of them gave Neji a blast of crap for not telling them sooner. Between the six of them (excluding Neji of course; he was much bigger than that; the five or so Jounin he'd told when he met them later for lunch didn't count…a security thing you know) the entire village was trading stranger and weirder stories about the mysterious visitor within two hours. And it wasn't showing any signs of slowing down.
 
“Actually, what I've heard about you seems to be only partially true.”
 
“Yeah I have a feeling that people are going to be mighty disappointed when they find out I have only two eyes, no tentacles and my tongue isn't forked.”
 
A sudden series of loud coughs came from the chair by the window.
 
“Perhaps you need a drink of water.” Mizuki said scornfully.
 
“I think I do.” Sasuke said smirking and rising from the chair to walk towards the pitcher of water on a nearby table.
 
“While you're over there why don't you go soak your head?”
 
“What and ruin my hair?”
 
“Oh my God I'm absolutely crushed by your wit.”
 
Ino decided in a moment that she liked this mysterious girl. Anyone who was a match for Sasuke was alright in her books. She expected Sakura to be irritated at the childishness but she was actually smiling.
 
“You know I think you two are getting better at this.” Sakura said with a wry smile. “But I'm afraid I'm going to have to break up the love fest here I have to give Mizuki-chan her check up today. Can you wait outside for a few minutes Sasuke-kun?”
 
“Oh please don't send me from her sight.” Sasuke said in a deadpanned voice as he poured a glass of water and took it over to where Mizuki was sitting in her chair. Mizuki looked at him as though she were waiting for the next insult but he simply put the glass on the table beside her and walked out of the room.
 
Ino watched the exchange and smiled at Mizuki. “Glad to meet you Mizuki-chan. When Sakura springs you from here come by the Yamanaka flower shop and we'll chat.” She quickly followed after Sasuke.
 
Ino caught up with Sasuke a little ways down the hall. She walked silently beside him for a few steps before muttering, “She really is as pretty as people are saying.”
 
Sasuke glanced from the corner of his eye at her. “If you say so.”
 
“Funny too.”
 
“Whatever.”
 
“Seems strong too. I mean, anyone who can stand up to your abuse Sasuke-kun would have to be…”
 
“Is there something I can help you with Ino?” Sasuke interrupted Ino as he stopped just before the stairwell entrance.
 
Ino grinned mischievously. “Not really. Except…do you really think Itachi will come after her again? It's been almost a week hasn't it?”
 
“Absolutely.” Sasuke replied. “He's made it clear that it's the girl he wants and he's not one to lose sight of his goals.” He realized his mistake too late. Ino gasped and then giggled madly.
 
“Did you just make a joke Sasuke-kun? It looks like our mysterious new friend is having an effect on you after all.” She walked past Sasuke and down the hall. “See you later.” Sasuke watched her go out of sight and leaned against the wall with his hand on his head.
 
“Itachi, what is taking you so long?” He moaned.