Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Healing ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16
Healing
 
 
Almost at once, the creature stopped fighting against Shikamaru's jutsu. It closed its eyes and one by one, each tail that had formed dissolved and disappeared. The fiery red chakra faded and Naruto fell to the ground; his mind his own now but the pain and exhaustion hitting him full force, knocking him unconscious. Shikamaru immediately let go of the Kagemane No Jutsu and fell to his knees, clearly exhausted.
Sasuke held his breath as he watched Naruto slowly return to normal and fall to the ground. He wanted to run immediately to Naruto and Sakura but his body stood frozen for a moment at the sight of the carnage before him.
Amongst the seemingly endless shards of burnt wood and sand lay Naruto, blood oozing from wounds that seemed to cover 90% of his body. He looked as though he had been skinned alive. His trademark orange outfit had been almost completely burned away and what was left looked as though it had melted to him. Sasuke had never seen anything like it in all the time he'd known Naruto. “This was bad.” He thought. “The worst it's ever been. Is he even still alive?”
“Oh for crying out loud you guys! What the hell are you waiting for?” Sasuke's paralysis broke as he saw Mizuki run past him, over to Naruto and Sakura. It was then that Sasuke realized that she'd been trying to get his attention for the last few minutes. He shook himself off and looked to Tsunade who had been as paralyzed as him but had begun to move immediately after hearing Mizuki yell. She knelt down in front of Sakura who had collapsed from her knees to her back in the time it took for Naruto to regain control of his body. Tsunade immediately began applying her medical jutsu to Sakura once again.
“Naruto.” Sakura whispered weakly.
“It's alright Sakura. It's over.” Tsunade said quietly as she poured her chakra into Sakura. “You did it. He'll be fine. You need to worry about yourself now.”
Sakura sighed with a small smile. She could feel the life leaving her body despite Tsunade's best efforts but as long as Naruto was okay, she would be happy with that. She tried to look over to where Sasuke and Kakashi had run to Naruto but her gaze was blocked by Mizuki who was looking at her intently. Sakura's eyes widened at the look she was being given. Mizuki looked almost…angry with her.
“Mizuki-chan…”
 
XXX
 
Kakashi and Sasuke reached Naruto along with another Anbu medic who immediately started to work on healing Naruto's many wounds. He had barely begun before they noticed that several of the wounds seemed to start closing on their own. Sasuke sighed with relief. Naruto's immense healing power had kicked back in and Tsunade was working on Sakura. He could be hopeful that his friends would be okay. He could hear faintly that Mizuki was talking to Sakura but his attention was drawn away by a soft and pained murmur that came from his injured friend.
“Naruto?” Sasuke leaned over Naruto's face. “Come on dobe, open your eyes.”
Naruto blinked slowly and his face twisted into a grimace. “Not the greatest sight to wake up to teme.”
Sasuke's eyes widened in shock but then he smiled and incredibly, began to laugh. Naruto chuckled too although his laugh quickly turned into a coughing fit and more blood ran down the side of his mouth. He reached up with a rapidly healing hand and wiped the thin trail away. Sasuke was still greatly concerned for his best friend but knew that if Naruto still had strength to joke around, he would likely be okay.
“We need to get him back to the hospital now.” The Anbu who had been trying to heal him said. “Please watch over him while I get a stretcher.”
“Not necessary.” Kakashi spoke up. “I'll take him.” Sasuke looked to his teacher surprised but Kakashi's mask could not hide his relief. Sasuke hid a small smile and stood up to allow Kakashi to lift Naruto into his arms.
Naruto opened his eyes briefly and croaked out. “Kakashi-sensei?”
“You knucklehead. You have NO idea how much trouble you're in.” Kakashi tried to say sternly but he couldn't keep his voice from cracking. Naruto smiled and closed his eyes as his exhaustion took over. Kakashi leapt away to the hospital, followed by the Anbu.
Sasuke turned his attention to where Mizuki was standing beside Gaara. He saw that Sakura had been placed on a stretcher being carried by two Anbu. Tsunade barked orders to them to move as quickly as they could but they had to be careful not to jostle her around too much. The Anbu ran off with Sakura after Kakashi's retreating form. Tsunade turned towards Mizuki and Gaara. “It seems we owe you our gratitude Kazekage-sama. However, I need to know exactly what happened tonight. All of you will come to the hospital to be treated and when I have stabilized Sakura and Naruto, we're going to have a long talk.” Without another word, she turned and leapt away.
Sasuke's first instinct was to go quickly to Mizuki's side but he stopped himself, remembering the hard time she was having with the visions that still assaulted her mind. Instead, he called out quietly from several feet away.
“Are you alright Mizuki?”
She turned slowly to face him. She didn't even try to force a smile or tough attitude this time; she knew now he would see right through it. Truth be told now she didn't want to even try lying to him or herself anymore. Her heart had made it very clear what it wanted back in the burned out basement. Whether Itachi was right about her choice in men or not didn't matter. She wanted to run to him. She wanted him to wrap his arms around her again and engulf her in that warm safe feeling she craved so badly but her body would not give her the satisfaction. She felt stiff and cold, her body wracked with a hundred pains, both real and remembered. She had spoken to Sakura, despite the torturous images that flashed through her mind as she did it but now as she looked at Sasuke, her heart and mind were warring over which one was correct. Exhaustion swept in like a tidal wave. She didn't feel any pain as she fell to her knees amongst the sand and debris. Darkness called to her and for once, she welcomed it.
 
XXX
 
Mizuki awoke a little while later on a white hospital bed she was so familiar with. She sat up slowly, blinking as her eyes adjusted to the light. She sensed movement out of the corner of her eye and turned her head towards the window where Gaara stood watching her. She looked around the room but they were alone.
“How long?” She asked simply.
“Just over an hour.” Gaara answered just as simply. “You should not feel ashamed. Your mind just overloaded and couldn't take anymore.”
Mizuki smiled. “You got me.” She stiffened as sudden memory returned. “Sakura and Naruto! Are they going to be okay?”
Gaara looked away from Mizuki. “Naruto will be fine. Now that the Kyuubi is properly contained it's helping to heal rather than hurt him. Sakura-san…is still in surgery.” He didn't say anymore. Mizuki felt her stomach clench.
“I hope she believed me.” Mizuki said quietly. Gaara looked at her quizzically but she shook her head. She felt her face turn red before she even asked the next question. “I take it Sasuke is with Naruto?”
Gaara noticed how red her face had become but said nothing about it. “No, Sasuke is just outside. He has barely spoken since we brought you back here.”
Mizuki looked at Gaara alarmed. “Is he okay?” She immediately swung her legs over the side of the bed and, wincing at the pain from her still sore muscles, made for the door.
“Mizuki wait.” Gaara called out to her. She stopped just a few feet away from the door and turned to look at him, her face already impossibly red.
“Gaara…I…”
“It's alright.” Gaara smiled at the look on her face. “I had thought as much but I wanted to be sure.”
“Huh?” Mizuki looked at him confused.
“Never mind. Go to him. As stubborn as he is, I know he could use some comfort right now.” Mizuki gave Gaara an almost annoyed look at his little bite at her but knew he was right after all. She smiled and left the room.
Sasuke was standing a little ways down the hall. He was leaning his head against a window with his eyes closed and so did not notice Mizuki approach him. She saw how pale he looked and at once chastised herself for being so stubborn. They're fierce verbal battle ran through her mind once again as she went to him quietly and gingerly placed a hand on his shoulder. He had been completely right with what he'd said and even though she still felt that she hadn't a choice in the way she had acted considering what she'd been through, she felt a need now to show him that she understood. That she trusted him.
Sasuke's eyes shot open when he felt the hesitant touch on his shoulder. He turned his head, almost expecting to see Tsunade there to give him bad news but his breath caught in his throat when he saw that it was Mizuki. She looked at him almost fearfully at first, as though she was afraid she was going too far but he was just so glad to see she was all right and it showed. Her face relaxed and a small smile found its way into her eyes.
“Are you okay?” She asked quietly. She looked into his eyes and saw shock, pain, relief and hope all at the same time. Behind her eyes, pain and cruel laughter sounded and for an instant, she saw him as through red glass but she pushed with all her might and the images and sounds, though they would not be silenced completely, were at least hushed for now.
Sasuke saw the fight she waged within herself and frowned. “He's done so much damage. Can we ever really move past this?” He thought sorrowfully.
She saw his face and smiled sadly having a good idea what he was thinking. She paused and looked away for a moment as though she was having a hard time finding words. Then suddenly she shrugged and slid her arms around his waist before he could say or do anything. He hesitated for a heartbeat then returned her embrace just as tightly. They stayed like that, just holding each other for what felt like hours, neither feeling the need to speak.
Tsunade had cleared her throat three times to get their attention and she was getting annoyed. Finally she spoke up, “I'd tell you to get a room but I won't have any of that in my hospital.” She said smugly feeling a need to lighten the situation. Mizuki and Sasuke immediately separated, both with red faces at being caught in a moment of affection. Sasuke recovered first to speak.
“Sakura…”
Tsunade's eyes were downcast. “The surgery was successful but she's not out of the woods yet. I've done everything I can. It's up to her now.” If possible, Sasuke went even paler.
“I wouldn't worry too much Sasuke.” Kakashi's voice reached them as he turned the corner. “Sakura's been raised just like a second Tsunade. And we all know how stubborn our Hokage-sama is. Sakura doesn't know how to give in to something like this.”
The temperature dropped twenty degrees. Tsunade glared at Kakashi with one eyebrow raised and her arms crossed. Kakashi coughed nervously and turned away from her frightening glare. “Ahem…I've just been from visiting Naruto.”
“How is he?” Mizuki spoke up quickly, stepping away from Sasuke. Sasuke blinked at her but said nothing.
“Awake and coherent but he still needs rest.” Kakashi said a little more loudly than necessary, purposely keeping his back to Tsunade.
“What…happened to him?” Mizuki asked quietly, looking from Kakashi to Sasuke.
“Perhaps this is a story I should tell.” Gaara appeared from Mizuki's room having heard Kakashi talking loudly about Naruto's condition.
Tsunade nodded. “That would make sense Kazekage-sama but I think we all should convene somewhere a little more comfortable than the hospital hallway to exchange stories.” The others nodded and followed Tsunade to her office. No one noticed Naruto behind the corner that Kakashi had just come from. Kakashi had skirted around giving him any information about Sakura's state and he was determined to know she was okay. Hiding behind the corner, he had heard Tsunade talk about Sakura's condition.
“Sakura-chan…” He took off down the hallway as fast as his injured body would let him.
He may have been an injured shinobi but he was still a shinobi. No one noticed the escaped patient making his way through the hospital to the critical care wing. There were several rooms in the wing and he wasn't sure how he was going to find Sakura's room without getting caught but he heard Shizune's voice coming from the fourth door on the left. He waited, hidden behind a linen cart, as Shizune and another nurse left Sakura's room and turned the far corner. He waited for another few minutes with bated breath but finally crept around the linen cart and the door to Sakura's room opened with a squeak.
Sakura lay on the bed in a white hospital gown and covered by a thin sheet. Any number of IV's and machines were hooked up to her suddenly small and fragile seeming body. One of those machines was a heart monitor and it beeped sluggishly, registering a barely stable heartbeat.
Naruto silently closed the door behind him and sat gingerly in a chair beside her bed. He reached out through the hospital bed bars and gently took Sakura's hand in his. Naruto didn't know why he was being so quiet and careful, it was as though he was afraid if he burst in with his normal obnoxiousness, he would hurt her again. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze and laid his head down on the bar.
“I'm here…Sakura-chan.”
 
XXX
 
When everyone was comfortably seated in Tsunade's office, she looked at Gaara to start. Gaara turned to Mizuki. “If you've gotten any of your memories back Mizuki, can I assume you know of the existence of the Bijuu?”
Mizuki nodded and her eyes went wide. “You don't mean…”
 
XXX
 
“I heard you, you know. I was so mad. I was ready to let it destroy everything. When I saw you lying there like that. Sakura-chan…I've never felt so much in my life. I've been such a jerk. I've been so tired of it all, I thought I could just move on and forget about you. But I can't. I've hurt everyone.” Naruto knew he was babbling but he couldn't seem to form the words the way he wanted to. He wasn't even sure she could hear him but he needed to fill the silence and he needed to get it off his chest.
“I heard you. The Kyuubi tried to interfere. He tried to make me believe you were lying to me. But I knew better. You've never lied to me Sakura-chan. When you said you felt the same as me…when you asked me to come back to you…I knew you weren't lying. So I came back. It was stupid of me to let that damn fox out I know that. And I swear I'll never do it again. You'll never have to worry about me again Sakura-chan so…please…I came back for you. You gotta do the same for me.”
 
XXX
 
Mizuki's eyes were wide as the information Gaara gave filtered through her brain.
“Both of you?” At Gaara's nod, “You know, I think I remember Itachi telling me something like that once. It was when I first met him. I was walking along the side of the road and he was coming at me in the opposite direction. As he neared me, he suddenly collapsed. I ran to help him and it was then that I discovered that he was totally blind and suffering from a fever. I remember I brought him to my home to recover. He was out of it for a while and he said a lot of strange things. I was never sure what was real and what was feverous delusions.”
“So your memory has returned?” Tsunade asked.
“Mostly. There are some blanks but for the most part yes.”
“Wait.” Sasuke spoke up. “If you've got your memory back, what's your real name?”
Mizuki looked down at her lap. “I don't know.”
“But…” Sasuke began but Tsunade interrupted.
“It's alright Sasuke I think I know what may have happened.” She said, sitting up straight in her chair. “After hearing the results from your first memory retrieval, it got me thinking. I remembered a long time ago, Orochimaru was experimenting with ways to obtain more chakra. Back before the Sandaime discovered his experiments and he was exiled, Orochimaru was developing a jutsu to increase the capacity of the chakra network of the one it was cast on. An unusual side effect of this jutsu was that the person could no longer remember their name. Orochimaru never discovered why this happened and his test subjects never lived long enough for him to experiment further. No record of this jutsu or experiment exists any longer.”
“Then how would Itachi have gotten hold of the info?” Sasuke asked. “Presuming this is where he got the idea.”
“Oh I know it's how he got the idea.” Tsunade said darkly. “Orochimaru's research documents were destroyed to prevent his horrible ideas ever being repeated. But not before they were read by the Sandaime, myself, and several members of the Anbu Black Ops. Of which your brother was once a member Sasuke.”
Everyone was silent for a few moments as the implications of what Tsunade said hit them. Mizuki spoke up. “So he took Orochimaru's research and twisted it around to suit his own ends and then started trying it out. When he had me captured in the house, he told me that I was the only one to have survived this jutsu. He'd tried it on several others but they'd all died. He said I was special but he never told me why I survived.”
“We may never know.” Kakashi said. “It could be that he finally perfected the jutsu or it could be that you really are special Mizuki-chan. There could just be something about you that made the difference between life and death.”
“I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.” Mizuki shrugged. “At this point, I'm just glad I did survive.”
“I promise you Mizuki that we will deal with your recovered memories and get you back to where you belong but we have to deal with Itachi first.” Tsunade said seriously. “Although I'm sure I don't have to tell you that.” Mizuki shook her head with a smile.
“We can worry about all that later. I'm not in any giant hurry really.” She said, stealing a glance at Sasuke who was looking at her rather intently. “Besides, I can't exactly go anywhere without a name and with Itachi constantly chasing me.”
“So what you're saying is,” Gaara spoke up. “Mizuki's real name will only return to her if Uchiha releases the jutsu he's cast on her chakra.”
“Or he's killed.” Sasuke said sternly, looking at Kakashi who looked back just as gravely at him.
“Have you got an idea Sasuke?” Kakashi raised an eyebrow at Sasuke who just smiled dangerously.
 
XXX
 
Naruto said nothing for a long time. He still held Sakura's hand in his own and he only moved to wipe a frightened and frustrated tear from his face from time to time. The monitor beeped rhythmically and incessantly, the only indication the pink haired shinobi was even still alive. Naruto's body was still exhausted and in need of sleep but he would not grant it's request. Not until he was sure Sakura was going to be okay. Irrationally, he felt that if he let go of her hand and fell asleep, he would wake up to find that she had really left him. So he fought the fatigue as hard as he could.
“Please tell me what to do Sakura-chan.” He mumbled. “I should be able to do something to help you back. But I don't know what it is.” He sighed and rested his head on his arm. His eyes were burning from overtiredness and he closed them lightly. Just for a moment, to stop them from stinging…
Naruto felt warm. His hand was grasped tightly by someone else's warm hand and another hand ran softly through his hair.
“Naruto you fool, wake up.”
Naruto only grumbled in response and turned away from the annoying voice that dared interrupt his nap.
“Okay really Naruto! God you never change. Wake up would you?” He felt the hand that had been stroking his hair suddenly give him a weak slap.
“Geez Sakura-chan why are you always hitting me?” Naruto mumbled quietly as his brain began the process of clearing the fog between asleep and awake. Just a moment later his eyes shot open and his head shot up so fast it sent a sudden and sharp pain running through his neck and down his spine. “Oh my God my neck!”
“It's your own fault dummy. Falling asleep bent over like that. You better not have drooled on my bed.” He heard an unmistakably amused and familiar voice say.
Naruto sat up straight immediately and opened his eyes. Sakura was lying on the bed, her hand tightly gripping his, with her eyes open and looking tired but very amusedly at him!
“Sakura-chan! You're awake!” Naruto stood up quickly, knocking the chair he'd been sitting on over onto its side on the floor.
“This is a hospital Naruto! You make enough noise to wake the dead!” Sakura complained but she couldn't keep the smile off her face.
“Sakura-chan….” Naruto eye's watered. “I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you. Are you really alright?” He half leaned, half crawled onto the bed and gathered her into as gentle a hug as his adrenaline pumped body would allow. He was practically lying across her but he wasn't about to let the steel bars or anything else keep him from her right now.
She hugged him back just as tightly, ignoring the pain in her stomach. “Come on Naruto you're a man aren't you?” She chastised through the tears that ran down her face. “I'm so happy you're okay.” They stayed like that for several minutes, each just content to feel that the other was alive. But soon enough, the pain from Sakura's wound started to get the better of her.
“Naruto, I'm sorry but you're going to have to move now. This position is kind of hurting.”
“Umm that might be a problem Sakura-chan. I've been trying to. I think my back has seized up. I'm stuck!” Naruto's voice sounded pained.
“What?” Sakura yelled.
“Just what the hell is going on in here?” A stern voice boomed as the door was thrown open. Both Sakura and Naruto froze wide-eyed and red faced at the compromising position they had been caught in.
“This isn't what it looks like!” Naruto hastily yelled, suddenly wishing he hadn't bent over to hug Sakura with his back facing the door.
“Honestly you two are as bad as Sasuke and Mizuki!” Tsunade's voice rang stern but amused as a chorus of “Hey!” was yelled out behind her.
“Um I hate to break up your entertainment Shishou, but I'm kinda in a lot of pain here.” Sakura wasn't kidding. Her face had gone considerably white in the last few minutes.
“And I'm stuck!” Naruto groaned.
“Okay, really?” Mizuki stalked over to where Naruto was very close to being smothered by Sakura's pillow. “I know this situation is anything but funny and I know I haven't known you that long but really Naruto…only you.” Several other voices joined hers in laughter as she patted him on the back and stood up. “You got the other end Sasuke?”
“Why the hell do I get the ass end?” Sasuke complained loudly though he was having a hard time keeping his face straight as he took hold of Naruto's legs.
“You are his best friend are you not?” Mizuki asked as she took firm hold of Naruto's shoulders.
“We're not that damn close!” Sasuke yelled out as he suddenly lifted Naruto's legs, effectively moving his weight off of Sakura but causing a loud yell of pain from Naruto.
Mizuki just looked at Sasuke annoyed. “I never said I was ready to lift.”
“Didn't you?” Sasuke asked indifferently. “You ready now?”
“I hope you two are enjoying this.” Naruto snapped from his extremely vulnerable position.
Mizuki leaned down so she was face to face with the injured and highly embarrassed blonde. “Oh you have no idea.” She smiled as she took hold of his shoulders again. She nodded at Sasuke and carefully, although less carefully than they probably should have been, they managed to get Naruto off of Sakura and seated onto a nearby chair.
Tsunade checked on Sakura, chastising her for letting herself end up like she was but beaming madly all the while to see her protégé awake and alright.
Kakashi glared at Naruto but said nothing. Knowing his student as well as he did he knew Naruto wouldn't listen to a thing he said anyway. He and Gaara approached Naruto and each took an arm. “You should be glad Naruto, you've given everyone a reason for a good laugh.” He chuckled ruefully and they started back to Naruto's room.
Tsunade glanced over her shoulder as they reached the door. “I'll be in to check on you in a little while Naruto. If I don't see your body in that bed, and that includes NO Kage Bunshins, you're going to have one more injury to worry about. Clear?”
“Clear as mud Oba-chan!” Naruto said cheekily as Kakashi and Gaara led him away. Mizuki laughed and Sakura just shook her head.
“I will never truly understand him.” She smiled.
“As long as you love him I think that's all that matters.” Mizuki said as she looked at Sakura intently from her position of leaning against the bed.
Sakura stared at Mizuki just as intently and sighed. “I understand Mizuki-chan. I needed to hear it earlier though just the same. Thank you.”
“Anytime.” Mizuki said gingerly standing up. Her muscles were still sore and lifting Naruto, although a welcome form of entertainment and release of tension, had aggravated her pain more.
Shizune, having caught the tail end of the conversation in Tsunade's office, had come back to the hospital with the group and now smiled at Mizuki kindly. “I'm sorry Mizuki-chan. We were so caught up with Naruto-kun and Sakura's injuries, I totally forgot about you.”
“Oh don't worry about me.” Mizuki said, waving her hands emphatically. “A couple bumps and some sore muscles aren't going to do me any real damage. A good night's sleep is all I need. Really.”
“That's something we could all use.” Tsunade said. She looked at Sasuke. “You said we should have some time before he tries to attack again?”
“Yeah, resting for a while won't hinder the plan in any way.” He looked at Mizuki who for all her joking and laughing was white as a sheet. “We won't have any chance anyway if we're all exhausted. I'm…really happy you're okay Sakura.” His face was stoic but his eyes were soft as he looked at his friend. She smiled sleepily at him. He looked to Mizuki. “Come on Mizuki.” He said turning towards the door. “Let's go home.”
Sasuke and Mizuki left Sakura's room and Sasuke quietly closed the door behind him. He started down the hallway but realized that Mizuki was not following him. He turned to see her staring at the floor and looking very uneasy.
“Are you alright?”
“Um Sasuke…” Mizuki said quietly. “I know we need sleep but so much has happened in the last several hours…and I don't just mean with Itachi. I kinda feel like I should talk to…”
“I know.” Sasuke interrupted suddenly feeling very nervous. “Before that though, there's actually something I need to apologize to you for.” He thought back to how he had taken off when he saw Naruto kiss her. He failed her, and it almost got her killed.
“If it's about sneaking into my bed last night don't bother you're forgiven.” Mizuki waved impatiently at him, suddenly feeling better. There was no better cure for nerves than teasing someone like him.
Sasuke opened and closed his mouth like a fish out of water. “How…how did you know about that?” He blurted out before realizing she had only been joking.
“What?” Mizuki's eyes went wide as saucers.
Inside Sakura's room, Tsunade and Shizune were applying some last minute needed healing to Sakura when all of a sudden they heard Mizuki's very angry voice in the hallway.
“YOU MEAN YOU ACTUALLY…I WAS ONLY JOKING…YOU REALLY? WHAT THE HELL?”
“Should I see what's going on Tsunade-sama?” Shizune looked to the door nervously.
“Don't even try.” Tsunade shook her head as Sakura sighed. “I just don't want to know.”