Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ Catching Up ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17
Catching Up
“I really can't believe you did that.” Mizuki chuckled. “What's more, I can't believe I slept through it!”
“Neither could I really. I thought for sure you would wake up any second and blast me.” Sasuke rubbed the back of his head nervously at the memory.
“Then why didn't you just wake me up?”
“I know that's what I should have done…I just…couldn't seem to help myself.” Sasuke stole a look at Mizuki whose face now shone as bright a crimson as his own.
It was now close to three in the morning and the two were walking from the hospital back to Sasuke's house for some much needed rest. Mizuki had continued to yell at Sasuke for his `taking advantage of her vulnerable position' until Tsunade had finally come out and yelled at the both of them to scram before she knocked them both back to Sasuke's house. It had broken the tension somewhat and Mizuki had decided that settling things with Naruto could wait until everyone was rested up. They walked through the deserted streets slowly, savouring the quiet and calm; neither one afraid of another attack. They both knew that Itachi, although possibly still well hidden somewhere in the village, was in no condition to come after them right now.
Mizuki was very self conscious of how red she knew her face was so she turned away from Sasuke slightly, looking at the still full moon that was now slowly descending from the night sky. The sun would rise in just over three hours. She knew she needed sleep, her muscles had had quite enough for one night and they were practically screaming at her for rest. Her mind was still so abuzz with what she had remembered and how she felt however, that she wasn't sure she would be able to sleep at all. She sighed deeply and watched the moon move past her as she walked by it. She could see images of her former life flashing at her in its white surface. At Gaara's insistence, she had told the others everything she could remember about her life before meeting Itachi after they had talked about what they were going to do about Sasuke's relentless brother.
A young girl from the country of Grass who had loved her parents, her village and the moon. That was all the girl who was now called Mizuki was before meeting Uchiha Itachi. She thought it had been enough. She had lived in a small village near the border to the Earth Country whose inhabitants, even though the days of war were long over, still liked to pester the villages near them. Her parents had been killed in a random attack one day by several dissidents from the Earth Country just over a year before. She and a few others had barely managed to escape into one of many bamboo thickets that dotted their green country. When the attacks had been halted with the aid of some Hidden Leaf Shinobi, Mizuki had returned to her home, buried her parents and gone on with her life. But with her village nearly decimated and the natural solitude of being close to the border, (even though the attacks from the Earth Country had stopped, the border was still heavily guarded and travelers were extremely rare) loneliness weighed heavily on her. It made her easy prey for the ostensibly helpless Itachi. Upon recovering from his fever, he easily manipulated her weak heart and, using the Tsukuyomi to convince her that she was in love with him, used her to continue his devilish plan to regain his eyesight. Which apparently included trying to break her spirit and her heart; and destroying her mind. The only part of the situation that still remained a mystery was how Mizuki was so skilled in Taijutsu. Granted, there were still some blanks in her somewhat healed mind, but the memories of her past life that she did regain included nothing of learning any type of jutsu.
Thinking back upon it all now, Mizuki was annoyed but not surprised at how easily she had given in to Itachi. She knew she hadn't much choice in the matter; the Tsukuyomi was not easily fought against. But she hadn't realized until now just how lonely her life had been after her parents died. She never realized how much she missed just having someone to talk to, to share dreams and laughter with. She hadn't wanted to let it bother her; she was determined to be stronger than that and to do her parent's memory proud. And so the barrier had gone up around her heart. She would prove to the murderers of the Earth Country and to everyone else that she would not be beaten down. She would live her life, strong and in control, without anybody's help.
Mizuki looked away from the bright moon and stole a glance at Sasuke who was looking ahead and seemed to be thinking rather hard himself. A small smile crept its way onto her face without her realizing it. She had believed she hated him and his harsh and apathetic attitude. She thought that every time he snapped at her or groaned in annoyance, he was assuming her to be weak, causing her to throw her tough barrier up even harder. It had not occurred to her in her wildest dreams that not only had he seen past her hardened exterior, his attitude towards her was because he didn't know any other way to show her just how foolish she was being. After all, she knew now what Itachi had done to cause Sasuke so much pain and knew that Sasuke was just about as screwed up as she was. He truly did care about her and he just wanted to help her. And somewhere during the endless days of fighting and hurt feelings, emotions had developed that went so far beyond simple friendship that the very notion they had begun this adventure disliking each other so much was laughable. So much had happened in the last several hours, she supposed it hadn't really hit her yet just what the seemingly apathetic shinobi was to her. Not even twelve hours ago they were fighting and she couldn't stand to be around him. Now it was all she could do not to throw herself into his arms. She had never expected to feel so good with his arms wrapped around her. It had felt just like…
“Hey Sasuke…”
“Mmmm.”
“Do you remember back in the Sand Village when Itachi attacked us?”
“Yeah.”
“After Itachi rendered me unconscious, well…I remember waking up for a minute and someone was carrying me.” Mizuki trailed off, trying to remember the sensation and the voice she had recognized.
“Did you think it was Naruto?” Sasuke was looking at her now as they walked and his steps started to slow down. After everything that had happened and all that he had confessed (sort of) he still couldn't help but feel jealous of his best friend. Naruto and Mizuki had grown so close in such a short space of time. But Sasuke wasn't Naruto. He couldn't be cheerful, optimistic and comforting like Naruto. In all truth, he couldn't blame Mizuki for feeling about Naruto the way she did. Could he ever hope to really be with her like he wanted so badly?
“Wasn't it?” Mizuki slowed down to keep pace with Sasuke and watched his face carefully. She had seen his expression change when he mentioned Naruto. She was sure in her heart of how Sasuke felt about her. She was even more sure of her feelings for him. She wanted desperately to show him everything that was in her heart and erase in his mind what had happened between her and Naruto. If only she could get those horrible images in her mind to go away.
“It was…at first.” Sasuke said looking ahead again. “He ran to where Sakura had you out of the way and picked you up. We left Kakashi to deal with Gaara and made for the hospital. We hadn't gone very far when Sakura suddenly grabbed her side and hit the ground. Naruto and I stopped and ran to her. She wasn't hurt badly, just a nasty bruise to her ribs but she couldn't run anymore. Naruto immediately gave you to me and picked Sakura up and we took off again.”
“I'll be Sakura-san just loved that.” Mizuki smiled ruefully.
“It wasn't a quiet trip back to the hospital after that it's true.” Sasuke smirked at the memory.
“Then when I came to for a moment, the voice I heard, the one who was holding on to me so tightly…”
“It was me.”
They walked on for several steps in silence. Mizuki had never imagined that Sasuke could be so kind to her. She had convinced herself that it was Naruto in whose arms she felt so safe. But knowing now that it was Sasuke in the Sand Village and in her vision…
“Mizuki…” Sasuke suddenly stopped in his tracks and looked down.
Mizuki stopped just a few feet ahead of him and looked back. “What's wrong?”
“I…before at the hospital, before my little uh…slip, I was trying to apologize for something…”
“It's alright Sasuke.” Mizuki said covering the distance between them and smiling up at him reassuringly. She tried her best to ignore the images that threw themselves to the front of her mind as she looked into his obviously pain filled eyes. Whatever he was trying to apologize for, it was going to be tough for him to do. “It can wait until tomorrow can't it? When you've rested and can think a little more clearly.”
“No!” He snapped. “I have to do this now or I…” He trailed off and looked away. “What happened tonight…it's my fault.”
“Huh?” Mizuki asked and rolled her eyes slightly. “Okay I know you've got some weird guilt transference thing happening where whatever Itachi does you feel responsible for but how could what happened tonight possibly be your fault?”
“Because I wasn't there to protect you!” Sasuke looked at her, his eyes blazing. “When you and Naruto were sitting in the field, when he…I had already decided that I felt…I couldn't watch. I took off when I should have been looking after you and I wasn't there when you remembered and ran off and I couldn't stop Itachi getting his hands on you. Itachi has known all along just how this would play out because he knows my weaknesses. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if Gaara hadn't shown up when he did…” Sasuke's fists were clenched tightly and Mizuki could hear the self-loathing in his voice.
The smile melted off Mizuki's face. She leaned her forehead against Sasuke's chest and played idly with the edges of his shirt. “Please don't worry about it Sasuke. I don't blame you for any of that. The truth is, I think I had already decided how I felt too, I just…I was so confused about what I wanted. And I thought you really hated me, I never thought…it must have been so hard for you. I'm sorry that I hurt you.”
Sasuke wrapped his arms around her and muttered, “Don't be such an idiot.”
Mizuki could have been angry but heard his voice crack and smiled. “I won't if you won't.” She looked up at his slightly annoyed expression and stuck her tongue out at him. His eyes went wide for a moment but he shook his head and smiled. He released her and they continued walking towards his house.
As Mizuki walked, she realized that, if only slightly, her heart and mind were feeling a little lighter. “Somehow, things are finally starting to make sense.” She spoke aloud without realizing it.
“What was that?” Sasuke asked.
“Oh nothing.” Mizuki waved dramatically at him. “I was just thinking that I don't feel quite as confused as I did before.”
“That's a switch.” Sasuke smirked. “Glad I could help.”
“Jerk.” Mizuki mumbled with a smile.
“Brat.” Sasuke said back simply, doing a bad job of trying to hide his own smile.
They walked in companiable silence until they reached Sasuke's house. He opened the front door and stood back to allow Mizuki to enter first. Her legs would barely carry her up the front steps she was so tired so it should have come as no surprise when her toe hit the last step and she went sprawling forward, arms waving frantically in front of her. She grit her teeth tight in anticipation of the impact but instead of hard wood, two hands gripped her shoulders, stopping her mid-fall. She took a breath in surprise and then before she could breathe again, the arms connected to those hands scooped her up bridal style. She opened her eyes and looked in shock at Sasuke's tired but amused eyes.
“What the hell do you think you're doing?” She asked flatly.
“You're welcome.” Sasuke replied dryly. “Geez, klutzy much? That's the third time…”
“Don't even say it Sasuke I am warning you.” She glared at him.
“It's really hard to feel threatened by someone I'm carrying who has all the grace of a one-legged drunken frog.” Sasuke said as he stepped over the threshold and kicked the door closed behind him.
“Oh that is it put me down now.” Mizuki's eyes flashed in anger.
“What so you can trip and fall again? What if you knock into a table or chair?”
“Sasuke…” Mizuki eyes began to soften.
“Exactly. It's not like I have klutz insurance you know.” He grinned as her eyes went hard again. It could have been because he was just so tired or it could have been that the stress of the night was finally catching up to him. Whatever the reason, Sasuke knew he was acting utterly unlike himself. If he were to actually think back to what kind of person he had been before his entire clan had been massacred and he'd been set unwillingly to his dark path, he wouldn't have had cause to worry about anything other than losing his well maintained reputation for being cool and standoffish. As it was, at this moment, the feelings he had finally given in to were just too strong and he was just too damn tired to worry about it. He was also too busy keeping his grip on Mizuki who had begun verbally and physically thrashing him in an attempt to make him let her go.
Mizuki was so busy trying to loosen Sasuke's grip that she didn't pay any attention to where he was headed. All of a sudden, without a word of warning, he let go. She gasped at suddenly being airborne but let the air out in a `woof!' as she hit something soft. She opened her eyes as she bounced and looked down. Sasuke had carried her to her bedroom and dropped her unceremoniously on the bed. She reached out to stop
herself from bouncing up and down and glared dangerously at Sasuke.
“You are freakishly strong.” She spat out.
He leaned down and cupped her chin in his hand. He turned her face towards his and leaned in until they were barely a few inches apart. “You should be glad for it. Sleep well Mizuki.” And with that, he turned around and left without another word, shutting the door behind him.
Mizuki sat where he had dropped her for a few seconds with her mouth agape. Then her eyes narrowed. “What? No goodnight kiss?” She yelled and smirked as she quite clearly heard him drop something in the next room. She changed and got into bed. As full as her mind was with the night's adventures Mizuki's eyes had no problem closing and despite the hard day she knew was coming, she fell asleep with a smile on her face.
XXX
“Ohayou Mizuki-chan.” Naruto greeted Mizuki a little less than exuberantly the next day.
“Ohayou Naruto-san. Can I come in?” Mizuki could feel the temperature suddenly drop twenty degrees as she entered Naruto's hospital room. She restlessly pulled at the pockets of her purple hoodie. The laughter and foolishness of several hours previous had been needed but now that everyone had a chance to get some rest, the full impact of the night's events were thrown into the foreground. Mizuki hadn't forgotten that the last time she had spoken to Naruto, she had yelled angrily at him.
Naruto nodded and she stepped over the threshold only to see Konohamaru seated in a chair beside Naruto's bed and Gaara standing beside him. Upon explanation from Shikamaru, Konohamaru had been brought to the hospital to be released from Itachi's influence and had been questioned as to what he remembered. He had been able to confirm his helping Itachi into the village and hiding him in the burnt out house. Through strange and unknown jutsu, Itachi had been able to see out of Konohamaru's eyes as he roamed freely about the village. Which justified why Mizuki had felt so uneasy whenever he was within a certain distance of her. She looked at Konohamaru but he turned away with downcast eyes.
“How are you feeling this morning Mizuki?” Gaara asked when he saw her.
“I'm much better now thanks Gaara.” Mizuki smiled brightly at him but it didn't quite reach her eyes. She looked to Konohamaru sympathetically. She understood how he felt completely. She walked over to where he sat still refusing to look at her and knelt down in front of him. “Konohamaru-kun, it's alright. If there's anyone who knows what you've been through you know it's me.”
“I know but it's still my fault ne-chan was almost…” Konohamaru couldn't finish.
Mizuki stood up and crossed her arms across her chest. “Alright I've had just about enough of this.” Naruto, Konohamaru and even Gaara looked at her shocked but she continued in a heavy voice. “It seems to me that ever since this whole mess started, everyone has been blaming everyone else except the one who's really at fault. And frankly, I'm starting to get really tired of being expected to forgive everyone for something that's not their fault!” She grabbed Konohamaru by his collar and dragged him to his feet. “So when I say it's alright that means it's bloody alright got it?” She growled to his shocked face.
“H..hai!” Konohamaru gasped in shock but he could see the humour in Mizuki's eyes and he smiled sheepishly at her. Mizuki gently let go of his collar and set him down on the chair again.
“I'm glad we understand each other.” She smiled at the wide-eyed ninja but the smile vanished in an instant as she looked at Naruto. “Um…I don't mean to spoil this warm moment of understanding but I really need to…could you guys maybe give us a few minutes?” She looked at Gaara and Konohamaru who nodded in understanding.
“Of course Mizuki. Come Konohamaru, let's get some lunch. We'll bring back something for you two as well.” Gaara and Konohamaru left, shutting the door quietly behind them.
Mizuki waited until the door was closed tightly until she turned back to Naruto who was sitting against his pillows looking glum. His right arm was bandaged heavily due to the strain of using the Fuuton Rasengan Shuriken. Most of his other wounds from transforming into the Kyuubi had, for the most part, healed over. Mizuki stood for a moment, unsure of how to begin when Naruto pointed to the chair Konohamaru had recently vacated.
“You may as well sit down Mizuki-chan.” He said slowly.
Mizuki nodded and sat down. She opened her mouth to speak but all the practiced words left her. She twiddled her thumbs nervously.
“Mizuki-chan…I'm so sorry.” Mizuki's head went up like a shot at Naruto's words.
“Wha…Naruto-san what do you mean? You have nothing to be sorry about. This is my entire fault. If I hadn't been so damn stubborn none of this would have happened. I…I'm sure someone told you that my memory, for the most part, has returned.”
Naruto nodded. “Kakashi-sensei told me that's what happened when I…kissed you.” His face turned red at the memory. “That it triggered your memories to come back and…well he wouldn't say what you saw, he said he didn't have the right to tell me, but he said it wasn't pretty and that I shouldn't be angry with you for how you acted.”
“I don't blame you if you are angry. Lord knows Sasuke was and he had pretty much figured it out before I said anything. I just…” Mizuki sighed deeply and hesitantly told Naruto what she had remembered. Everything about where she was from, to what Itachi had done to her and made her see, and ending with why she had yelled at him and sent him flying across the field.
Naruto listened with a passive face until she got to the part about the Genjutsu. His eyes widened as she told him the horrors she had seen.
“You…have got to be kidding me!” Naruto said through gritted teeth. “How could he…how the hell could you think I would blame you for any of this after hearing that?”
“Because that has nothing to do with what happened between us Naruto-san and you know it.” Mizuki said simply. “I know you know what it feels like to be lonely.” At Naruto's look, “Gaara told me all about what happened to you last night and what it means to be a Jinchuuriki. I never realized just how lonely I was, and not just because I couldn't remember who I was. When you began paying attention to me, it made me feel good and I wanted more of that. So I led you on…hell I led myself on. Believing you could fill the hole that was bothering me so much.” She sighed and looked to her hands. “But I was wrong. Ever since I met you and Sakura-san and Sasuke, I've done nothing but hurt you all. I don't deserve your protection or your friendship.” Mizuki stood up and walked to the other end of the room, desperate for Naruto not to see her cry.
“You know, I'm getting really tired of having to forgive people for things that aren't their fault.” Naruto's voice said semi-amused as he got up from his bed and came to stand right behind her. “Why do you think you're the only one to blame here? I asked you out first remember? I kissed you. You said you had just used me as an escape from your loneliness well the truth is Mizuki-chan that I did the exact same thing.” Naruto had started out this confession with a hard voice, determined to make her understand she was not to blame but once the words had left his lips, he felt his stomach drop again. He'd been such a fool.
“I used you to try and forget about Sakura-chan. Her infatuation with Sasuke had been getting on my nerves for a long time and when I met you, you seemed so frightened and alone, and I swore I would protect you. I confused my feelings of wanting to watch over you with my feelings for Sakura-chan and mixed everything up. Sakura-chan, Sasuke and I have been fighting this stupid triangle for years and I dragged you into it. I acted like a complete idiot.” He shook his head feeling frustrated.
“No, no Naruto-san I was the one who acted like an idiot. If I had just been a little stronger and trusted you guys in the first place none of this would have happened.” Mizuki cut in.
“Can we just say you're both idiots and call it a day? I'm getting really hungry waiting for you two to figure yourselves out.” An annoyed voice called from the door.
“What the hell do you want? I thought you were figuring your own stuff out with Sakura-san.” Mizuki said with a raised eyebrow as Sasuke came into the room.
“We got that straightened out a while ago. It's you two who just won't let it go.” He replied smugly back as Naruto and Mizuki glared at him. He had entered Sakura's room with much the same reception as Naruto had given Mizuki but there had been no one else there so they had been able to talk freely. Naruto and Mizuki hadn't known each other all that long and so things had felt awkward. Sasuke and Sakura didn't have that problem.
“Sakura, we need to talk.” He began as he sat down beside her bed. She was still hooked up to innumerable IV's and was still quite pale but the shine had returned to her eyes and Sasuke felt relieved despite the awkward conversation he knew they had coming.
“Yeah we really do.” Sakura said quietly. They sat in silence for several minutes before Sakura shook her head and smiled. “We really screwed this up didn't we?”
Sasuke chuckled. “Who are you kidding? We've been screwing it up for years. It's just amazing to me that it took that stubborn, obnoxious amnesiac falling in the middle of this mess to finally force us to straighten things out.”
Sakura smiled. “You really do love her don't you?”
Sasuke felt his face turn several shades of crimson. But he sighed and nodded. “Unfortunately. What about you? You really do love that dobe don't you?”
Sakura nodded, her face turning red as well but the smile never leaving her face. “Yeah I do. Don't ask me why cuz I will never understand it.” She shrugged.
“I know why. And I'm really happy for you Sakura.” Sasuke took Sakura's hand in his as he leaned over and kissed her forehead. She looked at him surprised at this sign of affection but he stood up and walked towards the door. “Good I'm glad that's settled. Get some rest; I've got work to do. I'll catch you later.”
“Is this what Mizuki-chan meant?” Sakura thought to herself before she yelled out, “Wait Sasuke-kun! What's happening with Itachi?”
“There's not much you can do about it at the moment so you don't need to know. But we have a plan. I'll let you know how it turns out okay?” And he left with a smile, ignoring Sakura's cursing behind him.
XXX
“Can you guys just hug or something so we can go? I'm hungry. I never did get breakfast this morning.” Sasuke snapped again from the doorway.
“Oh suck it up princess, neither did I.” Mizuki snapped at him, causing Naruto to burst out laughing.
“You two really suit each other don't you?” He laughed, causing dangerous glares from Mizuki and Sasuke.
Mizuki smiled. “Oh? Is that how it is? I guess he doesn't want to hear about your plan to capture Itachi huh?” She walked towards Sasuke and winked at him.
He smiled and said, “Guess not. We'll go get him ourselves shall we?” He put his arm around her shoulders to lead her out of the room but barely made it two steps when Naruto practically leapt at them.
“What plan?”
XXX
Gaara and Konohamaru were eating breakfast in the hospital cafeteria with Ino and Shikamaru who had come to check on their friends but had been diverted by Gaara until the others could straighten everything out.
Sasuke and Mizuki entered the cafeteria with Naruto right behind them, still trying to get them to tell him what their mysterious plan was all about. Ino stood when she heard them come in.
“Thank goodness you guys are alright!” She smiled relieved. “What about Sakura?”
“I just came from there, she's fine Ino. Go on up.” Sasuke waved towards the doorway. Ino excused herself and left.
“I'm surprised you haven't been in to see Sakura-san this morning Naruto.” Gaara said as Naruto sat down beside him.
“Who says I haven't?” Naruto said back. “Sakura-chan and I didn't get to sleep in like you guys did. Nurses coming in at ungodly hours poking and prodding at you, I can't wait to get sprung from here.” He grimaced as one of the cafeteria staff brought the new arrival's lunch. “If the food doesn't kill me first.” He poked at what was proclaimed to be scrambled eggs but what looked suspiciously more like bright yellow gravel.
“I agree with you there dobe.” Sasuke poked at his own dangerous looking meal.
“So you got to talk to Sakura-san this morning?” Mizuki asked as she took a mouthful of her eggs. Naruto and Sasuke peered at her curiously. “Oh for crying out loud you're both being foolish! The food is fine! Stop acting like a couple of spoiled brats and eat your breakfast…er…lunch! Whatever!” She shoved a couple of plastic forks at them as Gaara and Konohamaru smirked at her. Shikamaru mumbled something about bothersome women but snickered just the same.
“Yeah we talked for a while before she had to get some more rest.” Naruto smiled wistfully at the memory. “We…um…”
“So you're together now right?” Mizuki asked plainly, ignoring the sudden choking fits that went around the table. Now that she and Naruto had worked things out, she realized she was looking at him through the eyes of almost a sister. And now that she knew how he and Sakura truly felt about each other, she was determined to make up for her part in the misunderstanding by making sure they got together.
Naruto's face went more shades of red than exists in the colour spectrum. “Well…I guess…I don't know…maybe…”
“You cannot tell me we went through all that crap and you're not even together!” Mizuki smacked the table and glared at Naruto.
“What about you and Sasuke, Mizuki, are you two together now?” Shikamaru asked as he took a gulp of milk. He was lucky that Sasuke and Mizuki were sitting across the table from him although if looks could kill he would have died anyway. Eight times.
“Touché.” Mizuki said bitterly. “Gaara.” She said turning to the quiet redhead for a change of topic. “Have you let Temari-chan know that you're here? I'm sure you suddenly disappearing last night caused quite an uproar.”
“A letter has been dispatched to the Sand Village explaining the situation and leaving Temari in charge of things until my return.” Gaara said simply. “Temari knew of the summoning jutsu in the sand I gave you so she knew what to expect when I disappeared. I'm sure she will be relieved to know you're alright.”
“That was one awesome jutsu Gaara.” Naruto said brightly. “Kakashi-sensei told me what you did. You arrived just in time.”
“I gave my word to Mizuki-chan that I would protect her. You know how the rest goes Naruto.” Gaara said quietly.
“You bet I do.” Naruto nodded seriously. He smiled at Mizuki. “I know what happened last night was intense Mizuki-chan but you shouldn't be worried anymore. You've got a lot of people here determined to protect you!”
Mizuki smiled back but her heart felt uneasy. “How did this happen?” She thought as Naruto suddenly started berating Sasuke with questions about his plan. “In just a few days I've gone from being terrified of them, to caring this much for them. For crying out loud I'm in love with one of them! And there's no doubt at all that they care about me. When did everything change?” She smiled as Sasuke yelled at Naruto to sit down and shut up, all would be explained at the meeting later with Tsunade. Konohamaru threw his roll at Naruto's head when he wouldn't stop and even Shikamaru got into it when Naruto accidentally knocked over his glass with his oversized right arm. Gaara just sat silent through the melee and ate his lunch. Before Mizuki even realized it, the room started feeling very claustrophobic.
She stood up quickly, causing the others to stop their fighting in its tracks. “I'll be right back okay guys? I just need some fresh air.”
“Are you alright Mizuki?” Sasuke looked at her quizzically as he stood up also. “I'll come with you.”
“No, no that's alright.” Mizuki forced a thousand kilowatt smile. “You stay and finish your breakfast. I won't be long.” And she took off out of the large cafeteria doors before anyone could react.
The five friends sat silent for a minute. Sasuke pushed his chair back but Gaara stood up. “I will check on her. She may be having unpleasant visions again.” And before Sasuke could say anything, Gaara went after Mizuki.
Sasuke sat back down in his chair heavily. Shikamaru and Konohamaru wisely continued to eat and didn't say anything. Naruto looked from the door to Sasuke and back, “I'm sure that's all it is.” He said quietly.
“Even if that's all it is, it's enough.” He said bitterly. “She can't be around me without seeing me hurting her and it's driving her mad. How are we ever supposed to be together?”
1