Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Moon On Fire ❯ The Calm Before The Storm ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18
The Calm Before The Storm
Gaara found Mizuki sitting on a bench around the corner from the entrance to the hospital. She was not crying, as he almost expected, but instead was staring seemingly at nothing ahead of her and tapping her fingers restlessly against her legs with an intense frown on her face. Almost as though she were impatiently waiting for something.
Gaara did not ask for permission but sat down next to her. She shoved a little to the right to make room for him but said nothing. She just continued to stare straight ahead and her fingers were always tapping. Gaara waited for a few minutes but she still did not acknowledge him so he opened his mouth to speak but she surprised him by beating him to it.
“It's not what you think Gaara.”
“Oh? And with your memories did your psychic abilities also return?”
Mizuki did look at him then. He saw mostly anger in her eyes but she could not hide a trace of amusement. “Okay, you're not allowed to talk to Sasuke anymore. You're starting to sound like him and that's just frightening the hell out of me.”
“What else is frightening you Mizuki?” Gaara asked quietly. Mizuki did not answer but the drumming of her fingers was suddenly a lot faster and she looked away. Gaara was about to ask her again when she suddenly spoke.
“What the hell am I doing here?” She snapped more to the ground than anything. Gaara did not know how to respond but she didn't give him time to worry about it.
“Two weeks ago I had no idea they existed. One week ago I was trying desperately to survive and hide the near constant terror I felt at being around them. Yesterday I kissed one of them and today I'm in love with the other and having lunch with both of them like it's something perfectly normal that's been happening for years!” She threw her arms up in the air in an exaggerated shrug as if to emphasize how ridiculous the idea was. “What the hell am I doing here Gaara?” Her eyes read confusion and frustration when she finally turned them to him. “How did it go from me being just a lure for Itachi that needed protection to me being their…whatever the hell I am to them now?”
“I don't think that's all you ever were.” Gaara said before she could start rambling again. “Sasuke may have made it seem like that at first but I think you know deep down that you were never merely a lure or a burden on anyone. Also…” The smallest grin appeared on his face. “You aren't in love with Sasuke `today' I know it's been going on longer than that.”
Mizuki blushed but her tone was serious. “Yeah I know you're right.” She seemed to consider it for a moment but shook her head. “It feels like it's all happening too fast. Like it's not real. Believe it or not, part of me wants to think that this is another Genjutsu that Itachi has let loose on my mind; that you never really did appear to save me in the burnt house last night and Itachi had his way with me. I know what I feel in my heart and I want to trust it but…” She seemed at a loss for words.
“I agree that a lot has happened to you in the last couple of weeks; things have changed extremely quickly for everyone. However, even though you say it is not what I think, I do believe it's affecting you. And that how you feel right now has a lot do with the war I know is going on between your mind and your heart.” Gaara put his hand on her shoulder and looked at her semi-sternly, daring her to deny it again. She didn't even try.
“Alright fine, you got me.” She sighed again and suddenly looked extremely tired, as though even thinking about it sapped the energy from her. “I wanted to get my memories back so badly. But what price have I paid? I can't get it out of my head. The looks on their faces, the red rain and that horrible laughter follows me wherever I go now. I can't look at any of them without seeing it.” She paused and a pained look crossed her features. “I can't look him in the eye without my heart feeling like it's clamped in a vice. I don't know what to do Gaara. They're in there now talking happily and laughing like I should be; like I want to be. But I can't. What he's done, I can never undo.” A few tears fell down Mizuki's cheeks as she thought about the life that was right in front of her, holding it's arms out to her; and yet forever out of her reach. “I wish I'd never remembered any of it.” She buried her face in her hands and let a few tears fall. A few minutes later, when she felt arms gently close around her she didn't resist. She felt a chin on her head and a hand in her hair. She breathed in deeply and her eyes shot open in surprise but she sighed and, if possible, leaned into Sasuke even more.
“How did you do that?” She mumbled semi-annoyed.
“I couldn't call myself a shinobi if you'd actually heard me.” Sasuke replied with a mirthless smirk. He sighed deeply as she snaked her arms around his waist. He'd heard the whole conversation and felt his heart break with every word she spoke. He'd spent the night before awake, in Mizuki's room again but this time sitting in a chair beside her bed where he watched her sleep for hours. He couldn't explain why he did it when his own body was aching for sleep. It was like a switch had been flipped in his head and now he couldn't get enough of her. He watched her expression change while she dreamed and listened to the rhythmic sound of her breathing and for the first time he truly searched his heart and actually found himself listening to it. He'd spent so much time trying to destroy his emotions, to turn his heart from red to black; he never believed he would ever be able to love someone like he loved her. But the feelings that had awakened within him were so strong it was all he could do not to wake her and take her into his arms right there, never to let her go. He gritted his teeth now as he thought of the despair in her voice. They'd both come so far. He'd never allowed himself to feel this much for any one person, he wasn't going to let her give up so easily.
“Whatever damage he's done, I'll undo it.” He whispered gravely into her ear. “I'll save you.”
“Don't make promises you can't keep.” Mizuki said a little too bitterly, pulling back from his embrace. “Why should you risk everything for me anyway? Two weeks ago you didn't even know…” She was silenced as Sasuke pulled her to him and crushed his lips against hers.
The kiss was intense if not a little angry. It pulsed with a raw passion Mizuki had never felt before. Sasuke was searching for something; anything worth fighting for and Mizuki felt the dark clouds of doubt that had been so persistent blown away as she surrendered to his demands and gave him what he was looking for. Her eyes fluttered shut and at once she could hear nothing but her own pounding heartbeat. Her other senses though were so heightened she thought she might explode. Her skin where he touched her felt like it was on fire. His hands moved to her back and pulled her even closer to him. She could feel the calluses on his hands through the thin fabric of her hoodie and it sent chills of pleasure up her spine. She thought for a moment again how utterly different Sasuke and Naruto were from each other. Naruto's kiss had been gentle and full of affection but unsure, masking a heart in pain. Sasuke's kiss was forceful and full of desire. She could still feel the insecurity in his heart but her body was responding to his kiss like it never had with Naruto and she all of a sudden felt as though everything that had happened to her up until now had been leading up to this moment. She suddenly thought about what it would have felt like if she'd been awake that night. If she had been able to feel his arms around her, his heartbeat so close to her own. She grabbed the front of his shirt, urging him even closer. A growl emanated from his throat and he grabbed her hands from his shirt, and pulled them up around his neck, removing the last barrier between them.
“God I'm such a drama queen.” Mizuki thought to herself as she ran her fingers through his hair. “We love each other and that's enough. Screw that bastard Itachi. I'm never going to doubt Sasuke again.”
Emotions that he would never be able to voice poured between them. Everything that he felt was now being mirrored back at him and if possible, it intensified the sensation even more. The fact that Sasuke had accepted and embraced his feelings for this girl was a miracle in itself. It would be a miracle again if they were both to survive the coming battle. For once however, he didn't let those doubts and uncertainties into his heart. He was in love with the girl in his arms and nothing was going to ruin this perfect moment.
Unfortunately, Naruto was far from nothing.
“Hey guys I have a problem!” Naruto's voice came loudly around the corner followed quickly by the rest of him.
Sasuke and Mizuki immediately parted, red faced and out of breath. Mizuki pressed her face into Sasuke's chest and Sasuke sighed. “It wouldn't by any chance be bad timing would it?” He said irritably and he could feel Mizuki laugh quietly.
“No, no much worse than…wait what're you two doing?” Naruto's face took on redness to match both of his friends. “OH! Uh…sorry guys.” He laughed nervously.
Mizuki looked up to her blonde friend. “It's alright Naruto-san. What's wrong?”
Naruto blinked and his face became serious once more. “I just finished talking to Tsunade-no-ba-chan. She said that my injuries from using the Fuuton Rasengan Shuriken aren't healing as fast as last time. She said I can't fight!”
Sasuke stood up immediately and faced his friend. “You haven't lost the ability to manipulate chakra have you?” He sounded alarmed and Mizuki stood up in reaction.
“Not this time.” Tsunade's harsh voice came from the corner Naruto had just run from. “But the damaged to his arm is worse than the last time. I've been forced to place restrictions on his use of chakra for several days. He will not be able to help, Sasuke.” She said bitterly. She had warned Naruto so many times not to use that jutsu. This time he had been lucky but she knew Naruto's good luck was Sasuke's bad luck. His plan was shot.
Mizuki took Sasuke's arm. “I guess that means I'll just have to…”
“NO!” Came a chorus from the other three. Naruto spoke up first. “Gaara told me about Sasuke's plan just now. Just because I can't use a Kage Bunshin with a Henge to pose as you doesn't mean you're going to go as yourself! It's way too dangerous!”
“Well if you've a better idea I'm listening.” Mizuki crossed her arms and looked at the others annoyed.
“It's out of the question.” Sasuke said looking intently at Mizuki and matching her annoyed look with one of his own. “I'll think of something else but you will not even bring that up again.”
“You said it yourself Sasuke, we can't wait around for Itachi to attack us again. This time we have to bring it to him and this is the best, not to mention probably only way to do it! I'm the one he wants and you know some random Henge-No-Jutsu won't fool his eyes. Naruto's expertise with the Kage-Bunshin-No-Jutsu makes him the only one with the ability to create a clone that has the possibility of fooling Itachi. If he can't do it then the only alternative is to have me do it myself!”
“Might I remind you, you have no chakra and no real training as a shinobi? You may have some skill at Taijutsu but that will not be enough to protect you facing him alone.” Tsunade said.
“And who said I'd be going alone?” Mizuki said slyly as a wicked glint suddenly appeared in her eyes. “Where's Gaara?”
XXX
“And that's my idea.” Mizuki sighed and reached for a glass of water. After finding Gaara, Shikamaru, Neji and Kakashi, all of them (including Naruto who would not be left out despite his being left out) had gone to Tsunade's office to talk about the changes to Sasuke's plan. Almost two hours of arguing and scheming later, Mizuki had managed to put forth her idea. There had been much grumbling, especially from Sasuke and Gaara but Tsunade had finally given her okay to the plan.
“I don't like this.” Sasuke grumbled once more as the meeting was adjourned and everyone went their separate ways until the following morning when the plan would commence.
“That's why I didn't ask you if you did.” Mizuki said simply as she stood up from her chair and stretched.
Gaara stood up also. “It will take me some time to make preparations. But I should be ready by this evening.”
“That's perfect Gaara. We'll all meet for dinner when you're ready.” Mizuki said with a smile. Gaara nodded and left. Mizuki smoothed the wrinkles out of her pants and looked at Sasuke expectantly. “You coming?”
“Since when did you suddenly become the leader of this operation?” Sasuke said irritably as he stood up.
“What's that supposed to mean?” Mizuki put her hands on her hips and glared at him. “Despite my minor tweaks, this is still your plan Sasuke. No need to be jealous now.”
Sasuke pulled her into his arms. “You idiot. There's no need to get so excited about this. I don't want you anywhere near him.”
“You know, nice as it is being in your arms, if you keep calling me an idiot every time you do it, I'm not going to let you touch me again.” Mizuki said as she hugged him back just as tightly.
“Pfft! Try and stop me you chakra-less wimp.” He smiled to himself knowing what her reaction would be. He wasn't disappointed when she pulled back her arm and punched him hard in the shoulder. He couldn't believe now what a hard time he'd had trying to read her two weeks ago. It was as though he was looking at her through new eyes.
“Have you forgotten so easily how good I am at Taijutsu?” She glared at him mock threateningly. “Perhaps you need a reminder?”
Sasuke put his arm around her shoulder and steered her towards the door. “Much as I hate to admit it, Itachi was right about one thing. You are feisty.”
“You love it.”
“You have no idea.”
XXX
Naruto had left Tsunade's office and headed back to the hospital. Instead of going to his own room though like he'd been told, he went straight to Sakura's room. He knocked and heard her still too small voice tell him to come in. He walked in and heaved a giant sigh of relief.
Sakura glared at him. “What was that for? Did you think you'd come back here only to find me dead or something?”
“Not funny Sakura-chan. Not even close to funny.” Naruto grumbled as he took the chair beside her bed. “I'm just relieved that no one else is here.”
“Tsunade-sama told me about your arm.” Sakura looked to Naruto's oversized bandage with a small scowl.
“Don't bother Sakura-chan.” Naruto said immediately. “I would have done the same again and if it means saving your life I'll do it again and again until I can't use chakra anymore and that's all there is to it!”
Sakura sighed and gingerly sat up. She took Naruto's good hand in her own. “Why do you put me in these situations Naruto?”
“What situations?” Naruto looked puzzled.
“I can't decide whether I want to hit you for being so stubborn or kiss you for being so sweet.” She shook her head with a rueful smile.
“I'd take either at this point, as long as I knew you were okay.” Naruto squeezed her hand and smiled as her face turned ten shades of red.
“I'm fine. You know I'm fine.”
“You took a sword through the gut! You're no where near fine!” Naruto said a little more loudly than he intended. He couldn't help but shudder at the memory. He knew he would never be able to forget the sight of her laying limp across his legs, an impossibly large pool of blood under her with more oozing lazily from the wound that had been meant for him.
“But I will be.” Sakura knew the blonde in front of her better than he would ever believe she did. She didn't spend all those years watching over him when he wasn't looking not to learn anything about how he ticked. She knew that despite Itachi practically laughing off all of their best efforts, Naruto was blaming only himself. Not only for failing to protect her, but also for failing to protect Mizuki.
“And so will Mizuki-chan.” Naruto looked at Sakura as though he was shocked that she could somehow read his mind but his eyes grew distant and he looked at the floor.
Sakura could have felt jealous of Mizuki at that moment. She had been jealous of their new friend for a while now, ever since she first noticed Naruto paying attention to her. Of course she had never been willing to admit it to anyone, least of all herself. And even though things had ultimately worked out between the four of them, when Sasuke had blurted out that Naruto had kissed Mizuki (in his own highly indelicate way) Sakura had found herself ready to give up. She knew she was too late and she couldn't deny to herself that her heart broke just to look at him. When she saw Itachi appear behind Naruto with the chakra sword, she didn't even think about moving. Her feet moved on their own, driven by her heart's desire to see Naruto alive and happy, with or without her. It was that moment when she felt the sword pierce her skin, that she realized just how much in love she was with her knuckleheaded friend; her best friend. When she had awoken and Tsunade had told her that Naruto would be okay, she had felt in all honesty that her wounds were too serious for even Tsunade to heal. But she was okay with that. As long as he was alive, she felt that she could let go with a smile. At least, until Mizuki had knelt down beside her.
XXX
“Sakura-san.” Mizuki leaned over and took Sakura's hand. “Can you hear me?”
“Mizuki-chan.” Sakura's vision had become blurry and clouded from the glow as Tsunade desperately tried to heal her broken body, but she could see the anger in Mizuki's features and hear the harsh tone of her voice. “What…”
“Don't even think about giving up now Sakura do you hear me?” Mizuki whispered the words but somehow that just made it worse. Sakura scowled. How dare Mizuki demand that she fight! She'd fought for so long, endured every blow and wound, all for him. And now he was lost to her. Why the hell should she continue to fight now? Despite her body desperately wanting to give in to the encroaching darkness, Sakura forced her own low tone.
“Don't talk about things that you know nothing about. It's too late now. He's safe and that's all that matters.”
“Don't you dare play the self-sacrificing martyr with me Sakura!” Mizuki whispered again but Sakura could see her eyes were alight with anger and fear. She could tell that Tsunade had looked up in shock at Mizuki but for all the wisdom that comes from age, she kept quiet. “He came back to you and now you're going to just give up?” Mizuki snapped, still whispering. “You've come far enough to confess everything you've been feeling and now you're just going to leave it at that? Yeah you saved his body but what about his heart? You know well better than I do Sakura that Naruto's heart is too big for his own good.” She paused as she thought to how she'd hurt him. “If you let go now it would kill him in more ways than one. He loves you Sakura. He's always loved you. You can trust me on that one. And me…well…you've got nothing to fear from me.” She said as she glanced back to where Sasuke was leaning over Naruto.
“Mizuki-chan…” Sakura didn't know what to say. She was angry at Mizuki's words but at the same time she swore she could feel the blood in her veins pumping a little easier. “Sasuke-kun is…”
“An idiot.” Mizuki finished with a small smile. “And so am I. As perceptive a person as I am most of the time, I've misunderstood a lot of things since coming here. He was probably the biggest one. Maybe it's for the best that things happened the way they did. I think it's safe to say that all of us have changed in some way since this whole mess started but his is probably the most drastic. Don't ask me why or how I know cuz I don't exactly understand it myself, but I felt it just now when he was holding me.” Her eyes faded for an instant before becoming hard again. “You're the only one in Naruto's heart, Sakura believe me. That's why you have to hold on. You just can't do this to him now.”
XXX
“Sakura-chan are you alright?” Sakura came back from her mind's eye to see Naruto peering at her quizzically from about two inches away. She gasped in surprise and shoved him away. Of course, not considering her immense strength, even when she wasn't focusing chakra, she sent him flying quite a few feet across the floor.
“Naruto I'm sorry!” She yelled out as the situation fully returned to her. She almost leapt out of bed, despite her injuries but Naruto was instantly on his feet and shaking himself off.
“You'd think I'd have learned that lesson by now.” He mumbled as he picked up his chair and sat back down in it.
“What lesson?” Sakura asked.
“Not to come within three feet of you when you're spacing out.” He said annoyed but couldn't hide a smile at the look on her face.
“Well you never were one to learn things quickly.” She snapped but her eyes softened and she ignored the flush across her face as she gently took his hand. “But I guess I'm no better.”
Naruto looked at her confused for a moment before realizing what she meant. She wasn't looking at him, she was looking at her lap and her face had the slightest tinge of pink that almost matched her hair. She had a wistful smile on her face and Naruto suddenly felt an urge that was altogether different than anything he'd experienced with Mizuki. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze as he stood up from the chair and sat instead on the side of her bed.
Sakura looked up at him when he squeezed her hand and she wanted to ask him just what the hell he was doing sitting on her bed. But when she looked in his eyes she was instantly silenced. His impossibly blue eyes stared into her and she felt as though he was looking right through her. If he was, he obviously liked what he saw because a ghost of a smile played on his lips and if possible, his eyes shone even more. Only in dreams she would never admit to having had she imagined seeing the love, respect and desire she saw now in those eyes. She wanted to speak; she wanted to tell him that she understood now and that everything she saw in his eyes she felt, just as much if not more than he did. But though her mouth opened, no words made it past her lips. The same force that kept her gaze locked on his stopped them cold. It also narrowed her vision to just his face. She couldn't see anything else around her so she didn't notice when Naruto let go of her hand and brought his left hand up to cup the side of her face. She felt his skin warm against her skin. This feeling enveloped her senses so, that she didn't notice her hand reach up for the collar of his shirt. She gently pulled him closer, expecting the same feeling of nervousness that she'd had with Sasuke but instead all she felt was pure elation when he leaned forward suddenly and captured her mouth with his own.
His kiss was gentle and sweet, but also a little hesitant. It felt like he was holding back, as though he was afraid to hurt her. She leaned in and pressed her lips against his much more firmly and she felt his hesitation disappear. His hand went from her cheek to being entwined in her hair and her hands reached up to cup his face. The more their kiss deepened, the more euphoric Sakura felt. She couldn't believe she'd waited so long, risked so much with her stubbornness. Of anything that had ever happened to her in her life; becoming a shinobi, training as Tsunade's pupil, getting Sasuke back; none of these things felt as right as being in his arms.
When they finally parted, she leaned her forehead against his and they sat like that for minutes that felt like long, blissful hours. She barely heard his whispers above the pounding of her heart but she smiled and whispered the same. If only for today, all was right in the world.
1