Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Shinobi and The Miko ❯ The Temple ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kaguya's feet ached; her shoulders bowed against her previously insignificant pack. Then again, I suppose a feather would feel like a ton after walking for four days straight. It was only a slight exaggeration; Sasuke had them travelling almost constantly, their breaks usually no more than two hours at a time. They were tired and hungry, but they couldn't stop until they reached a more populated area.
 
Of course, she knew exactly where the nearest populated area was going to be. She wasn't exactly sure how she felt about the information, either. She was almost certain that the temple had been rebuilt in the months since it had burned, but she was unsure of how many of the order had actually survived.
 
Pushing the thoughts from her mind, she resolved to see it as an opportunity. At the very least, she would be able to meet some of them again. That surely counted for something. Right. She felt the kerchief on her head slipping, and hurried to fix it. Anko had made an unsuccessful attempt to dye her white hair another color, but somehow it just wouldn't stick. Instead, she'd had to carry along a headscarf to keep it covered. It wouldn't do to look quite so… distinctive when trying to evade pursuit. She and Sasuke had decided to do their best to look and behave like travelling teasellers. It was a little out of the ordinary, but not unheard of; it helped that Kaguya could actually make a decent tea.
 
Food, as Sasuke had discovered, was another matter. Neither of them was particularly adept at cooking, but he had decided to take on the task nightly since he could at least boil rations to an edible degree. Kaguya had tried the first time, turning bright red and uttering a long string of apologies when he had nearly choked on the result of her efforts. Still, they'd need a proper meal soon, or they'd both starve.
 
He'd realized a few hours ago that the route they were taking would lead them through Kaguya's village. He wondered how she'd react, being surrounded by all of her old friends. He'd heard the story of its burning, of course, but still. He hoped it wouldn't hold them up too long. Better to be at a place where the people are on your side, though.
 
***
 
The acolyte sighed, rubbing his shorn head ruefully. Last time he ever gambled. The old man had given him extra gate duty for three weeks. It was about the most boring job he could think of, and he had to do it for eight hours a day now. Talk about harsh.
 
He sank into the grass at the edge of the road. Still, at least he didn't really have to do anything. He could probably even take a nap and get away with it, if he were willing to risk yet more punishment…
 
His thoughts paused as he peered down the pathway out of the village. If he wasn't mistaken, something was moving at the edge of his line of sight. He pushed himself to his feet again, standing on his toes and squinting for a better view. Sure enough, there was something there. Two somethings, unless he missed his guess. He pursed his lips thoughtfully. There was a time when they would have been allowed to pass unmolested, but recent events had made all of the temple's denizens a little more cautious. Perhaps it would be best to warn the high priest… But then, he couldn't just abandon his post and let them wander in.
 
He stood his guard until they were within earshot, then called out.
 
“Ho, there, travelers!” They closed most of the distance remaining, then stopped. Surprised that his warning had actually produced the desired effect, he struggled to find something to say next. It didn't help that the male traveler was glaring at him with disconcerting black eyes, apparently irritated by the delay. He looked like an ordinary merchant or some such, but gave off an air of something completely different.
 
A few feet to his right was a girl, dressed in much the same manner, a dirty kerchief covering her head. It was a bit hard to tell under the road dust and grime that smeared her face, but she may just have looked familiar.
 
“Er…” he began haltingly, but the girl chose that moment to step forward.
 
“I'm here to see Touya-sama,” she said quietly.
 
“The high priest?!” He couldn't keep the disbelief from his voice. “I'm sorry, miss, but Touya-sama is a very busy man, and cannot be disturbed…”
 
The girl sighed gently, and reached up to the knot in her kerchief, tugging on it a few times before pulling it away.
 
The guard saw it, and his demeanor changed. “You're of the order then? Follow me.” He wasn't exactly sure what one of the priestesses was doing outside of the temple, and with a stranger no less. But an acolyte's place wasn't to question these things.
 
***
 
Touya stared into the depths of his teacup. He wanted to help her, he really did. He considered all of the younger clergy his children, and Kaguya no less than the rest. Probably moreso, actually. He had been a friend of her mother, and had taken the child at her behest. It was no secret that she was also among the brightest of his students.
 
But she had still broken her vows. He understood why, and he really couldn't fault her entirely for it. She had thought the temple entirely destroyed, so perhaps abandoning her robes and prayers was understandable. But, it was still not something that he could ignore. He had promised to lodge her for a day and a night, and he would send her away with replenished supplies, but that was all he could do.
 
Setting down the teacup, he rose. Perhaps he should pray about this. He turned left out of his study toward the gardens, so lost in thought he almost didn't notice the boy standing outside his door. As it was, he was forced to halt rather abruptly.
 
“Uchiha-san. Is there something I can do to help you?”
 
“Take her back,” was the blunt reply.
 
Touya flinched, but his words were calm and composed when he replied. “I cannot.”
 
The boy's eyes narrowed. “Why not? She'd be better off here than where I'm going.”
 
Touya sighed. “Walk with me a while, if you would?”
 
Sasuke said nothing, but kept pace with the older man as he walked.
 
“Do you know anything about our order? No, I suppose not. Well, to simplify some very complex things, we serve a deity called the Water Goddess. She is an embodiment of patience and peace. It is these qualities that we strive to improve in ourselves. To this end, we seek to eliminate as many worldly attachments as we can, and realize our place in all things.”
 
Touya glanced at his audience, who appeared ready to interrupt. “It is from this detachment that we gain the ability to act as channels for energy. It is a most unusual power, and one with varied applications. It affects change in us as well, turning our hair white long before its time.” He smiled ruefully. “Other effects are more…subtle.”
 
“And the part where you know what other people feel?”
 
“That… is difficult. It means reversing something that was done in the past, in essence reattaching oneself to the world. It has to be done carefully, only after seeking the Water Goddess's permission, and under the supervision of other priests. It also comes at a heavy price, one that most are not willing to pay.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“All things must have balance. One kind of sight is paid for with another.”
 
“But she was blind when I first met her.”
 
“It works better if you can affect the alteration at an early age.”
 
“Why are you telling me this, anyway?”
 
“I already told you why. All things must have balance. The Water Goddess grants us these capacities only if we agree to live according to a specific set of tenets. We must pray twice daily, always wear our habits, forgo violence except in defense of others, and we must never use our power without asking permission from the Goddess. This last rule is the ultimate law of the order, and Kaguya by her own admission has violated it numerous times, to say nothing of her other sins.”
 
Sasuke's eyes narrowed. “She did those things to help other people. You think that makes her unfit for your temple?”
 
Touya passed a hand over his face. “I don't like it either, but those are our tenets, and there is nothing that can be done. She could conceivably find work with the local craftsmen if she wishes to stay, but the rules of the temple will not allow me to accept her back among us.”
 
“Whatever.” Sasuke turned to walk away. Coward.
 
 
***
 
“You ready?”
 
Kaguya stood, hefting her pack onto her shoulders. “Yes.”
 
“You know, the old guy said you could still work in the town,” he said, tone measured and cautious.
 
Kaguya thought back to the last afternoon. She'd spent some time visiting with old friends, but it seemed as though a distance had grown between them. There were halts in conversation where there hadn't been, and the wall of courtesy seemed impenetrable. Not to mention the discomfort radiating off of just about everyone. Had they all changed that much? No, she had decided, I'm the one that's changed.
 
She smiled brightly. “Oh, I don't think that would work out too well. I don't really belong here anymore.”
 
“Hn. Whatever. Let's go.”
 
“Of course.”