Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Shinobi and The Miko ❯ Encounter ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kaguya listened to the sound of the campfire as cold crept in around her. The nights were getting chillier as they headed northward; it might not be too long before they had to turn in some other direction or buy new clothes. She shivered and brought the blanket closer around her. Being on the run like this was really starting to take a toll on both of them; they had ceased speaking altogether a few days ago in order to conserve all the energy they could. Sasuke led, and she followed. That was all there was.
 
He was sitting next to her for the sake of heat, though there was still about a foot of distance between their shoulders. She could distinctly hear his breathing at this distance, though the camp was quiet enough that the same would have been true if he was ten feet away as well. A log cracked in the fireplace, and she shook her head to clear her thoughts.
 
“I'll take first watch,” she murmured. “You should sleep.”
 
In response, she heard him lay down on the ground and pull his own blanket over himself. A few minutes later, his breathing became more regular and steady. She pulled her knees up to her chest and hugged them tightly; there was nobody around for miles. Yet, she couldn't shake a feeling of foreboding from deep within herself.
 
It was a strange sort of loneliness, this feeling. She wasn't alone, she knew that. But she couldn't help feeling so anyway. The past couple of days had seen Sasuke retreating deeper and deeper into himself, reaching for the feelings of anger and hate that had long sustained him. These were feelings which she had no desire to share, and so she had allowed herself to become more and more disconnected from him, choosing instead to focus on her surroundings. It was a dangerous proposition; being directly connected to plants and animals was far riskier than with people. She could lose her own identity if she wasn't careful.
 
She focused briefly on Sasuke; sleeping, his feelings were dulled, though she had no doubt he still dreamt of betrayal and revenge.
 
 
***
 
“Kaguya. Wake up. It's time to go.” Sasuke had just finished breaking camp, a task he usually did by himself. It was obvious she was bone-tired, might as well let her sleep as long as she could. “Hey.” He was considering placing a hand on her shoulder when she stirred.
 
“Sorry,” she managed foggily, pushing a few stray hairs out of her face. He waited as she packed up her belongings and walked to his side. Her expression seemed troubled. Better get this out of the way before they moved.
 
“Something wrong?” he asked.
 
She pursed her lips. “There's someone two miles West of here. He must have showed up while I was sleeping, because he wasn't there before.”
 
“Is it a search party?”
 
“I don't think so. It's just one person, and he isn't moving. It's odd though. It's just woods there. Nothing special.”
 
“Hn.” Sasuke leaped into the nearest tree. “Let's go find out.”
 
“Wait, Sasuke,” Kaguya protested, following. “Isn't that unnecessarily risky?”
 
But Sasuke didn't answer, only kept running. She struggled to keep up with him. What was going on? None of this made any sense.
 
***
 
Kisame grinned, rows of pointed teeth bared. They were coming. Itachi had been right. The lure of a lone fighter in the woods was too suspicious for them not to investigate. Still, he had been skeptical when Itachi said that all he needed to do was sit around and wait. How could anyone possibly detect him?
 
Not that any of that mattered. This was bound to be interesting, and that was all he cared about.
 
Sure enough, two people came into sight not long afterward. Kisame stepped forward to make himself completely visible, and the two came to a halt.
 
“You.” Sasuke growled. “Where's Itachi?”
 
“Heh. Wouldn't you like to know, eh Sasuke?” Kisame grinned as the younger Uchiha gritted his teeth.
 
“He's another half-mile beyond,” the girl said quietly.
 
“Oh, so the rumors are true,” Kisame taunted. “You do have a little chakra detector.”
 
“Out of the way. I'm not here for you.”
 
“Patience, patience, Sasuke,” he waved dismissively. “You can go fight him. I'm just here to make sure you go alone. We don't want missy here interfering, do we?”
 
Sasuke's eyes narrowed considerably; he glared at Kisame through slits. “She's a noncombatant.”
 
“Your point?”
 
“This one won't harm me, Sasuke,” Kaguya reassured him.
 
Kisame laughed, a sharp barking sound. “Oh? And what guarantee do you have of that?”
 
Kaguya smiled at him. “I can give you detailed information on what happens.”
 
Kisame grinned. “Ohhh. You drive a hard bargain, missy. I do love to be entertained. You have a deal.”
 
Kaguya turned to Sasuke. She wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, but there wasn't much she could do now. Still, she was worried. What if those feelings he'd been reaching for in the past few days were to take him over for good? There would be nothing left of the Sasuke she knew.
 
“You aren't going to try and convince me to walk away, are you?”
 
She shook her head slowly. No. She had to trust him. “I accepted long ago that you would do what you feel you must. Just remember who you are. You aren't Orochimaru, and you aren't Itachi.”
 
Sasuke was taken aback. There was that word again. Just what made it so easy for her to accept him? He'd expected a righteous sermon. He knew she didn't agree with his motives any more than anyone else. Yet…
 
“Yeah, whatever. Later.” He fell silent and walked off, passing Kisame, the latter showing no resistance.
 
It's time, Itachi. Time for you to die.