Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Time Travel is Impossible, at Least for Humans ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
Sorry for the wait but life has been hectic then there was the trouble with switching internet providers and losing the internet for nearly 2 weeks!
 
Chapter 9
 
 
Kakashi couldn't wipe the small smile from his face as he slowly showered. Looking back over the last few years made him very grateful that he had seen that look pass between Iruka and Itachi, if he hadn't he never would have started following Iruka and he would not trade their relationship for anything. The thought of spending these years alone as he had before meeting Iruka made him feel cold and he pushed those thoughts away. He knew the odds of him ever having to live without the other man again were slim, he was the one who took the dangerous missions and Iruka was harder to kill than a human so in all probability it would be Iruka who would one day loose him. Kakashi froze suddenly, just how long do water sprites live and how much of their life span would Iruka have since he did carry human blood as well? Would he live to see Naruto and Sasuke's grandchildren grow old? He shivered; he didn't want that fate for his lover because Iruka would be alone. He knew that being alone like that would kill the kind hearted man inside even if he was physically fine. He'd have to do his own research without Iruka knowing. Getting out of the shower he dried off and got into a comfortable pair of sweatpants since he was still on medical leave. He wondered if Iruka would like a repeat of the previous night or even a reversal of roles and smiled at the thought, either option would make him very happy. He picked up his book and curled up on the couch to await the chuunin's return.
 
--------------------
Iruka smiled as he watched Kakashi sleeping, his book about to slip from lax fingers. He felt better since talking to Sandaime, almost lighter somehow. He grinned as Kakashi suddenly opened his eye, startled to no longer be alone.
 
“It's just me.” Iruka assured him as he made himself comfortable on the couch next to his lover. Kakashi stretched and then laid his head in Iruka's lap.
 
“Work go okay?” He asked sleepily.
 
“Genma has decided I have a girlfriend so there was some teasing. Sandaime put a stop to it though. How did your day go?” Iruka ran his fingers through the silver mop in his lap.
 
“Slept a bit, had a really long hot shower, nothing much.” Kakashi shrugged, content to let Iruka pet him as much as he liked. Once he started going on missions again they wouldn't get many evenings like this.
“What's for dinner tonight?”
 
“Ramen, we're having the kids over, remember?”
 
“Itachi isn't really a kid you know.” Kakashi corrected him.
 
“Isn't he? Just because he is ex-Anbu doesn't mean he isn't still a child in some ways. Besides I don't think he minds me calling him that.” Iruka told him and Kakashi nodded, if Itachi minded he would have let Iruka know long before now.
 
“Guess that means I need to get up?” He frowned.
 
“Unless you want Naruto glaring at you all night again.” Iruka teased and Kakashi jumped up before offering him a hand up too.
 
-------------------------------
Iruka rubbed at his scar tiredly before putting his pen down. He stretched and stared out the classroom window. The students had been gone for hours now and he was almost finished his marking so he could go home soon. Kakashi was out of the village for another few weeks and Itachi had Sasuke and Naruto so he was alone for the night. Because of that he had simply stayed behind to do his marking instead of taking it home.
 
“Still going Iruka?” He looked over to the door and managed a genuine looking smile for his one time friend.
 
“Nearly finished Mizuki. I thought you'd gone home already.” I was on my way home from training and noticed the classroom light was still on. Want to get some dinner together?” The other chuunin offered.
 
“Maybe another night, I'm pretty tired.” Mizuki nodded and Iruka waited until he was sure he was gone before relaxing. The annoying thing was he didn't know exactly when Mizuki had decided to turn traitor and he knew he shouldn't be letting that influence his behaviour. What if it hadn't happened yet and he could be saved but Iruka pushed him away? But if it had already happened then he needed to do something to stop him before anyone else got hurt. Iruka groaned and buried his head in his arms. Time travel was too confusing some times! He snorted lightly at the thought. Weird thing was there were times he seemed to forget he was from a now alternate future and simply let things happen. Was he slowly forgetting his past/future as time went on and he changed it? He hoped not because then he wouldn't remember that he needed to change things and could end up having to do it all again. That would not be good. He forced himself to stop thinking about and finish his marking so he could go home and crawl into bed.
 
---------------------------
“Happy Birthday Naruto!” Iruka spun the now eleven year old around making him laugh.
 
“Iruka-sensei!” The boy complained when he was finally put down, swaying dizzily. Iruka just laughed and ruffled his hair before going back to putting up the last of the decorations.
 
“Happy Birthday Naruto.” The blonde gave the newcomer a grin but eyed his book with distaste. Iruka smiled at his lover, the other ninja had only gotten home a few hours ago but had made the effort to crawl out of bed for Naruto's party.
 
“Thanks Kakashi! Glad you're home, now Iruka-sensei won't be so grumpy!” With that Naruto ran for it before the irate chuunin could grab him.
 
“Grumpy?” Kakashi teased and Iruka huffed.
 
“I have not been grumpy just…concerned about you.” Kakashi smiled behind his mask and nodded as if he believed him, earning him a swat to the head.
“The kids won't notice you sneak out in about an hour if you need to get some sleep.”
 
“I'll be fine. You should see your friend Mizuki later though.” Iruka gave him an odd look.
 
“Why?”
 
“His team got back just after me, they lost a man. Apparently Mizuki hung back to try to help him but there was nothing he could do.” Iruka paled, his breath catching in his throat.
“Ruka? What's wrong? Mizuki's fine, I figured you would want to see him though, maybe cheer him up.” Kakashi wrapped an arm around his lover and pushed him into a chair.
 
“I'm fine Kashi, just a bit of a shock I guess. Their mission wasn't meant to be that dangerous. You're right though. I should see Mizuki later; make sure he's doing okay.” Iruka forced himself to calm down and breathe normally, so it had happened, Mizuki had made a deal with Orochimaru for power. Why hadn't he gone to dinner with him last week? Maybe he could have said or done something that would have helped Mizuki choose another way. He pushed the guilt away; Mizuki had killed his team-mate without the sannin's prompting after all. The want for power had always been there, Iruka just hadn't seen it when he was younger. Would Mizuki wait another year to try for the scroll since Naruto wouldn't be such an easy target or would he pick another kid to steal it for him? He'd have to watch him very carefully now. He really didn't want that particular scar back this time around. Getting a giant shuriken to the back hurt a lot no matter how fast he healed.
 
TBC…
The info on Mizuki's actions I got from the anime during the prison break, luckily I saw those episodes even though I still haven't seen the Valley of the End stuff or any episodes after the prison break.