Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Valentine's Day! ❯ The Killer Stairs ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

They walked side by side down the street.
 
*At least things are starting to look up.* Sakura thought as she watched two birds fly overhead. *I've got a place to stay overnight, and I've even got a date for Valentine's Day.* she glanced at Naruto. *Even if I'm going out with a complete idiot.* She thought and smiled.
 
Naruto noticed someone was watching him and looked over to where Sakura was walking and noticed that she was looking at him.....and SMILING?! *Woah, is she okay?* he asked himself and quickly looked away when she did.
 
~Note to Sakura: Don't stare at a guy unless you can admit to liking him.~ Inner Sakura stated smugly.
 
*Would you shut up about me liking Naruto-kun already?!* Sakura snapped at her inner self.
 
~Sure, as soon as you explain why you just called that bimbo Naruto-KUN!~ she snapped back
 
-“We're here!” Naruto exclaimed, stopping Sakura's war with her inner self. Sakura looked at the building and tried not to puke.
 
~It's so unclean!~ Inner Sakura exclaimed.
 
Sakura just kept looking at the place in disbelief. It was a total dump! All the windows where smashed. There was no front door, just the hinges swaying in the wind. There was piles of god-knows-what in front of the place and it didn't look like it had any electricity!
 
-“This......is your apartment?” Sakura asked slowly, making sure that Naruto wasn't joking.
 
-“Yeah. It's a bit of a dump, but it's all I got.” he said and walked up to it and through the `door'.
 
~A bit of a dump? That's not what I was gonna call it.~ Inner Sakura said smugly and crossed her arms.
 
Sakura followed after Naruto. They got inside and Naruto went to the front desk, which was actually a three legged coffee table, and told the bum behind it that he was checking in.
 
Sakura just stood in the middle of the lobby and looked all around. She saw a single light bulb lighting the corner behind the bum and the coffee table.
 
~Well, at least they have electricity here.~ Inner Sakura said sorta sarcastically. Naruto came back beside her.
 
-“Kay, my room's upstairs. But I gotta warn you about these stairs.” he said, pointing to a really old looking staircase.
 
-“Uh Naruto, why are there holes in the steps?” Sakura asked after looking at the condition of the first 5 steps.
 
-“That's just it.” Naruto said with a little chuckle. “Anybody who doesn't know which steps to walk on end up falling through the step and into the basement.”
 
Sakura looked at the stairs again and shuddered.
 
-“So,” Naruto continued, “Al over there (he pointed to the bum behind the coffee table) marked all the bad steps with duck tape. So, just don't step on the steps with duck tape on them. Like this one.” he said and held onto the railing and stepped down hard on the first step. His foot went right through the step and hung there until he pulled it out. “Got it?” he asked and looked at Sakura.
 
Sakura just nodded. “You go first.” she said softly.
 
-“Kay.” Naruto put out his hand. “Hold my hand.” he said
 
-“What? Why should I?” Sakura asked.
 
-“The last person who tried to get up these stairs fell through on the 7th step and broke they're leg. I don't want that happening to you, Sakura-chan.” he said firmly and took hold of her hand. Sakura nodded and gratefully held his hand.
 
 
They got up the stairs without any problems until Naruto stepped on a step without duck tape and it gave in anyway.
 
-“Naruto!” Sakura exclaimed and tightened her grip on his hand.
 
-“Shit!” Naruto cursed and grabbed the railing with lightening fast reflexes and stopped himself from falling. “Dammit! That's the third time this week!” Naruto said angrily and pulled his foot out of the hole int the step. “Hey Al! Another step gave in! Throw me the duck tape, would ya?!” Naruto called down the stairs.
 
-“Yeah, sure.” Al grumbled and threw the duck tape up the stairs. Naruto caught the tape with one hand and let go of Sakura's hand to tape the step.
 
-“God damn stairs. Why can't the old geezer just get them fixed?” Naruto mumbled to himself as he taped a big X on the step.
 
-“Are you okay Naruto?” Sakura asked while watching him finish up on the step.
 
-“Yeah, I'm used to this sorta stuff.” he said and threw the tape back down the stairs. It wacked Al on the back of the head, making him fall off his chair. “Common.” he said and took hold of Sakura's hand again.
 
They got to the top of the stairs and Sakura sighed with relief.
 
~Faze one complete captain! Bring on the next challenge!~ Inner Sakura exclaimed with her fist in the air.
 
They walked down a hall and Naruto still had to warn Sakura about some unsafe spots on the floor. Sakura didn't realize that she was still holding Naruto's hand. Naruto didn't bother to tell her, he loved holding her hand.
 
They came to a door and Naruto had to let go of Sakura's hand do he could get his key out of his pocket and unlock the door. He was about to open the door when he stopped and turned to look at Sakura.
 
-“Hope you don't mind the mess.” he said with a forced smile. Sakura smiled. Naruto slowly opened the door and walked in. Sakura was about to follow him but he stopped her. “Hold on, I'll get the light.” he said and kept walking in.
 
After a few crashes and curses, Naruto pulled a little string that turned on a light bulb in the middle of the small room. Sakura tried to hold in her gasp but didn't succeed.
 
~Oh my god......~ Inner Sakura whispered softly.