Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ What am I to you? ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On her bed, Sakura hugged her legs to her chest sobbing silently.
Naruto's words had hit a nerve. She couldn't sleep or think about anything else but him and him alone. She crushed her face into the pillows and tried to push thoughts about him far from her mind. Kiba wanted her to join some squad team with Ino. It would keep her mind preoccupied because they would do some excessive training to get strong and protect the village.
Her downstairs' door slammed making her jump. Heart beating as a drum, she slid out of her bed. Not again, this had better not be another attacker. “Naruto, is that you?!”
Stupid, what would Naruto be doing in her house at this time. What if he was here to get revenge? He had lied about Sasuke…said that Sasuke had raped him. What a disgusting thought. How dare Naruto say such things about her Sasuke?
She had never hated anyone as much as she hated Naruto; he was a joke and didn't deserve to be a ninja.
Something smashed and broke into small pieces. What the freaking hell was going on? She ran downstairs very quickly and turned on the lights. You know one of those times you just have this feeling that something was about to happen.
But, you never listen to that small voice that told you over and over that you should be cautious of your steps. She was one of those that never listened to that small voice.
Her mind went back to when she joined the ninja academy. Something had told her that it wasn't for her, something had told her to go do something that she knew that she could do and not waste her future away.
But, had she listened? No.
The lights brightened the room and her eyes widened at seeing a figure perched against the wall tossing a kunai up and down. What-she couldn't feel her feet. Could it be very true? She blinked wondering if her mind was making her see things.
“Sasuke…” she said his name softly and reached for the banister behind her to hold her weight up.
He had changed, his clothes had. He wore the robes of Orochimaru, darker in color, and open at his chest. His hair was longer and tied at the nape of his neck. She swallowed wondering why she felt so afraid of him, maybe because he was supposed to be dead.
She tried to breathe properly and not pass out. He was here standing in her home. She didn't understand. Maybe she was dreaming, maybe it was all a dream. Sasuke was dead.
“You are dead,” she said out loud to him, maybe trying to make herself believe it but she wasn't sure. Her heart was clenching so tight against her chest, she opened her mouth and sobbed.
“I'm so sorry though. I'm so sorry for a lot of things.”
He wasn't talking to her but still tossing his kunai up and down.
She bit her lower lip and coughed trying so hard to control herself. “I'm sorry about Naruto too. He-he isn't in his right head. I'm sorry.”
A deep, rich, harsh chuckle left him.
She wiped her eyes looking at him wondering what the hell he was laughing about.
“Sasuke, what is funny?”
“You are annoying Sakura,” he stated the words that still broke her heart to small pieces.
Her eyes widened but she kept her mouth shut. What? He still hated her even after trying so hard to fight for him. This was a dream she had to remind herself but still…
“What kind of ninja sends their comrade to their death?” he asked her not even stopping what he was doing.
She opened her mouth shaking her head; she had been doing it for him. “I was doing it for you Sasuke and Naruto promised.”
“Sakura if you had really wanted me back, you could have come with him.”
She wanted to say something back to that but she had nothing, his words were so true. She could have gone with Naruto to get him back.
“I'm sorry…” she finally spoke up. Why hadn't she thought about that?
“Now, look what you did. Naruto left you defenseless to any attack.”
Why did he mean that? He couldn't mean that he was going to attack her and kill her. She took steps backwards but ended up falling down on her butt on one of the stair steps.
--
Naruto met up with the old hag and another person with her, all were under hoods attached to cloaks.
“What the hell is going on?” he asked wondering what the Hokage was doing out of the village, out in the open of an attack. He hadn't been paying attention when Kakashi had been explaining the mission to him.
“Well, Naruto, we are to protect the Hokage but we have to wait for word when it is safe to leave,” Kakashi's voice came from behind him.
Naruto took off the hood off his head.
“Well, isn't this going to be fun?” he sarcastically said and looked back at his village from the hill he stood on, searching out for Sakura's chakra. His eyes widened when he felt her chakra increase. What the hell?
All of the sudden he had this feeling that he shouldn't leave Konoha. Something bad might happen to Sakura. But, why should he care? She wasn't his like Kyuubi told him before. He should just leave and forget about her.
She thought that he was someone to push around. He let out an animalistic growl and when heads turned his way, he remembered that he had company with him but he didn't apologize to any of them.
His eyes returned to his new team, Kakashi and Jiraiya. Jiraiya was busy talking with the Hokage about something they all couldn't hear. The old hag must hate the fact of them protecting her. However, it was good that her and Jiraiya were happy with each other and loved each other, unlike him and Sakura.
Well, he loved Sakura but she didn't love him back. Anyway, he didn't know anymore if he wanted to go with the group. His heart was beating so loudly wanting him to stay at home and with Sakura.
But-but, she wasn't his to protect. Maybe, Sakura and Sasuke were meant to be. Maybe… didn't that tattoo on her thigh mean that? Which made him wonder if she had been seeing Sasuke behind his back?
If she hadn't then how the hell had it gotten there? He hated it when someone played with his head and that was just what Sasuke was doing. As much as he hated to admit it, it was true that Sasuke had finally broken their bond.
The bastard had promised to break away from all Konoha bonds he had and he had just disbelieved him saying that there was no way he could possibly do that. However, he had been so naïve then.
He had trusted so quick and ended up to dead ends.
Well, that had been a mistake on his part. Who could blame him though; all he had wanted was companionship. He had been so tired of being alone and so unhappy. He had wanted people that he could call his own special people.
“Naruto…”
He looked straight at Kakashi who had put his book aside against his lap and was close by as though he didn't want the others to hear what he was about to say to him.
Naruto's eyebrows rose, not in the least eager to listen to what the man had to say to him. His mind was on other things and he wanted to think about the other things. “What do you want Kakashi-sensei?”
The man's hesitance caught him unawares and it amused him. Kakashi had never hesitated with something. He was always straightforward.
“There is something you have to know…”
Naruto chuckled softly and nodded slowly. It was really starting to get awkward. “That is something I figured.” He furrowed his eyebrows all amusement gone. “Whatever you have to say, say it.”
--
“We still care for you Sasuke!” she shouted and put her hand against her beating pulse on her neck.
He didn't comment.
She thought that she was getting to him and continued. “That is why Naruto came for you. He is the strongest and could get you back.”
“Sakura, you could have come too but you didn't. Knowing that there is a chance that Naruto might die, it sounds to me like you have a grudge against him,”
That was the longest sentence that Sasuke had ever spoken to her in a conversation or an argument.
She forced a laugh, okay, she had been jealous. She had been so jealous of Naruto. He had everything, Sasuke and everyone's love. Sasuke looked at Naruto for anything. They hung out together and fought together.
She had just been a shadow of the team. Kakashi had acknowledged Naruto more in strength. She had just been there with no one even caring if she got strong or not.
Sasuke always picked Naruto over her, always. She had been jealous, so freaking jealous. Tears left her eyes and she sucked in her cheeks.
“I…I,” how could she say it, how?
--
“Whoa, whoa, brain freeze,” he waved his hands at his ex-sensei. Okay, he had to take this all in slowly. “What?!” he yelled ignoring he got attention on them.
What the freaking hell?
“I'm sorry,” his sensei apologized. “That is why you have to go back to the village and protect Sakura and kill Sasuke.”
He inhaled deeply. His sensei-no wait, his ex-sensei betrayed Konoha village. He betrayed Konoha village and-and him. Oh-oh how many others more had lied to him and-and expected him to just forgive them.
Without word, he ran back to the village.
--
The burning started in her low region. Her thigh was starting to itch and burn. She remembered Naruto's words about the tattoo there. Had Naruto been right all along?
She lowered her hands to her thigh and she held it screaming in pain.
Sasuke strolled to her and squatted to her eyelevel. He hooked his finger in the hole at the butt of his kunai that he sung the kunai around as an airplane wing. “Did he tell you what I did to him?”
She shook her head and at the same time having a hard time to concentrate on what he was saying, the pain in her thigh made her feel as though acid was burning her. Screams and screams left her until she was dry throated and couldn't scream anymore.
“How I touched him? You should have been there Sakura, maybe you could have fed off his groans of discomfort.”
She cried and choked for air. Her hands moved to her throat and she wailed making herself deaf to her own cries.
“He told me to stop. He cried like a little baby.”
What had she done? What had she done?! She tried to control her pants before she lost all the oxygen she had. Sasuke's words had found an entrance in her ears and the words disgusted her. How could Sasuke have done that?!
She rolled on her stomach and he moved out of her way. Writhing in pain, each of her eyes dilated to a small tip of a sawing needle.
Naruto appeared in the room and he glared at Sasuke. Sakura's pained sounds were so loud and distracting but he had to put the threat away first before he attended to her.
“Sasuke…” he dropped into a stance, his nails growing in size, his canines following.
Sasuke smirked sadistically while putting his kunai back in its sheath.
“You have grown horns Naruto even after our little incident…”
He wasn't here for talk. Naruto attacked, chest in, sharp teeth bared, claws of one hand back as he jumped in the air towards Sasuke. Everything was a blur to Naruto. But, he knew when his claws sunk into his best friend's body. Blood spilled on him, and like a squashed pint of juice, it splashed everywhere else it could.
He never questioned why Sasuke hadn't fought back. Sasuke's body just fell backwards and he didn't even catch it. He just ran towards Sakura who was lying on her back on the floor.
“You will be okay Sakura.” He neglected of kneeling down and touching her.
Her head moved from the ceiling and she looked deeply into his eyes, hers were leaking with rain of tears and guilt.
“Naruto…Naruto, I'm so sorry.”
He just shrugged his shoulders and glanced at the ANBUnbu guards and the nurses that had shown up at the scene uninvited. A few nurses with a stretcher came towards them.
They lifted Sakura in care and put her on the stretcher.
When they started moving, Sakura called out to him. Her hand stretched to him. “Naruto, come with me…”
If this had been two days ago, he would have been more than happy to go with her to the hospital. But, this was now and that was then.
“No, you don't need me anymore…” He told her and nodded his head to the nurses to take Sakura and mend to her wounds if she had any.
The ANBUnbu guards worked on Sasuke's body with the help of the nurses who pointed out that and that.
He started for the door feeling so exhausted. He might as well go home, take a shower, and then go to bed.
Kyuubi, thank you.
Anytime, kit.
You know we make a great team.
Don't spoil the moment now.
Naruto laughed feeling so good and stretched his arms to the ceiling before opening the door out of Sakura's home.
“Hey Uzumaki…”
He glanced at one of the ANBU guards that had called him. But, another ANBU got that ANBU's attention whispering something in his ear. Was that Neji? The ANBU that had called him turned back to inspecting Sasuke's corpse. Naruto told himself to thank Neji later.
He left Sakura's home.