Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 18: Christmas Eve Part 1 ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18: Christmas Eve Part 1
 
A/N: A few minor tweaks here, nothing that big... these chapters are getting easier to rewrite, since my writing had improved as the story was being developed.
 
 
Wednesday December 16th
 
 
In a small hotel room in Kyoto, two friends have a discussion about their current situation.
 
Ritsuko: I thought you weren't supposed to tell anyone you were alive?
 
Kaji: I never told anyone, don't worry... I'm not gonna get in trouble...
 
Ritsuko: I see. And Christmas?
 
Kaji: (Pauses) Don't you want to see her again?
 
Ritsuko does not say anything but her features softens as she sees the pain in his eyes and she feels sorry for him...
 
Kaji: (Changing the subject) It's been very quiet around here... I'm glad at least now I have you to help me out.
 
Ritsuko: About that, who was that woman that showed up yesterday?
 
Kaji: You're still not mad about her walking in on you, are you?
 
Ritsuko: (Colors slightly) Yes I am! And she had the nerve to think I was some hooker!
 
Kaji: (Trying not to laugh) Well you had just stepped out of the shower...
 
Ritsuko: (Glowering) I thought you said you were asleep!
 
Kaji: (Holding up his hands defensively) I was... until you screamed, and I fell out of the bed... I had to find out what was going on.
 
Ritsuko: (Grumbling) I bet...
 
Kaji: Look, um, I didn't see anything. I only heard what you said.
 
After a rather heavy pillow made its way towards the former double agent's head, Ritsuko coolly glanced at her friend and made her way back into the bathroom to finish getting dressed. As she does, she leaves Kaji with a few words...
 
Ritsuko: You can do better than that lover boy! (Closes the door)
 
Kaji: (With a sly smile) Great, now I have a bruised behind and a smothered head!
 
Ritsuko: (Laughing) Yeah, you tell yourself that Kaji dear!
 
Kaji: (Surprised) Hey, you haven't called me that since Kyoto U...
 
Ritsuko: Now that I wouldn't want to remember, especially that week you two lived, ate, slept, and did other things in that bedroom for a whole week! (Rolls her eyes)
 
Kaji simply smiles and thinks about that memorable week in his mind. A minute later, Ritsuko walks out of the bathroom and sits down in a chair across from him...
 
Ritsuko: Look, I know why you're doing this. It's not for the truth... it's for Misato and the pilots. I understand... (Pauses)... and I'm glad that you're going to help me figure what exactly is going on over at NERV...
 
Kaji: No problem, Ritsuko. That's why I was able to get that extra bed and have you stay here...
 
Ritsuko: I see. (Long pause) Well, I'm going to bed. Talk to you in the morning... (Heads over to her bed, lies down, and begins to relax)
 
Kaji: I might as well turn in too... (Turns off the light) Good night, Ritsuko...
 
Ritsuko: (Sleepily) Sweet dreams Kaji, and we will protect them...
 
As Kaji and Ritsuko go to sleep, both think of their friend in Tokyo-3 and the other pilots. Now both of them would be more determined then ever to find out what was really going on at NERV. Across the ocean, a new day is dawning in Northern Canada...
 
Chairman Keel is having a brief conference with the other SEELE leaders in their secret base...
 
Keel: In any event, it would seem as though NERV is now collaborating with the UN. This is unexpected. I can hardly believe that Gendo Ikari would be involved in a "community" organization...
 
SEELE 02: Perhaps it would be prudent to increase our efforts in learning what has occurred within NERV as well as accelerate the production of our own units...
 
SEELE 07: I agree. Commander Ikari is not to be trusted. The sheer fact that he "convinced" the UN to move against our agenda indicates that there is something going on...
 
Keel: Correct. Monitoring NERV is to be increased; as of now it would be wise to keep a close eye on our friend Commander Ikari. Regardless, funds continue to be diverted into our base here, so that is not an issue...
 
Keel continues to discuss vital matters with the other major SEELE members, and the all agree on one resolution- NERV must be watched and observed very carefully...
 
Back in Japan, a new day begins...
 
 
Thursday December 17th
 
 
In the early morning hours, Maya calls Toji and Kensuke and tells them to come in for more battle simulation tests. With a hint of reluctance, Toji acknowledges the request and head down to NERV headquarters for the test. Kensuke also makes his way down there, but not as enthusiastically as the last time... the harsh reality of what it means to be a pilot is starting to hit him.
 
The school day passes by rather quickly. Hikari immediately heads home and calls Toji, to see how he is doing. Asuka heads home and plays her NSS system while Shinji and Rei have a talk about the upcoming Christmas holiday...
 
To see a picture of Shinji and Rei talking, go to picture 14 on page 2...
 
Shinji: Rei, I'm not sure what to get Asuka for Christmas... do you have any ideas?
 
Rei: (Thinks to herself for a moment) You should get something that symbolizes your relationship with Asuka... perhaps mom would be able to help you?
 
Shinji: Yeah, that's a good idea. Misato would have some ideas about a good Christmas present for Asuka... (Pauses) Rei, have you figured out what to get for everyone?
 
Rei: I have made a list of what to pick up for Christmas presents. Mom said she would help me out...
 
Shinji: That's good... ((Holds a brown leaf in his hand (Just like in picture 14)) Rei... it's nice to have a family and everything... I'm just a little bit scared about what's ahead. I still have... dreams of how things might have turned out. Being alone on a desolate planet, scraping by and surviving on what humanity left me as they spent their existence in their own fantasy world...
 
Rei: (Curious) Really?
 
Shinji: (Chuckling softly) I have them almost every night ...even when Asuka's at my side. They're not happening as often anymore...
 
Rei: Why do you think that is so brother?
 
Shinji: Because of you, and Misato, and Asuka being my family.
 
Shinji quietly stands and hugs Rei. She returns the affection and both stay there for a few more minutes drawing the love and affection each needs. Both knowing that from now on they would be there for each other from then on...
 
Shinji and Rei head back to the apartment and then play against Asuka on her NSS system. After eating dinner and spending some family time together, Asuka, Shinji, and Misato turn in for the night. Rei, however, remains awake and is thinking to herself and staring out of the balcony window...
 
To see a picture of Rei at this point, go to picture 90, page 11...
 
Rei thinks about what to say to Kensuke and tries to sort out these new feelings that she is experiencing in her heart...
 
Rei: (To herself) Is Aida someone like me? Lonely? Yet he acts out when he is frustrated, while I show indifference. We are similar in motive but different in behavior. Interesting, there may be a reason to interact with him. When I look at him, I see a soul like mine- one of loneliness but also of wonder.
 
Rei then opens the glass door and steps out onto the balcony, gazing at the metropolis of Tokyo-3. She begins to think out loud to herself...
 
Rei: I remember... several times in class as I've looked out the window, I could see another face, his face, gazing at me? Though he always seemed to be... smiling? Rei pauses to think some more, and to gaze out on the city. A little while later, she begins to think out loud again... `Should I ask Shinji about what to say to him...'
 
Misato: (Stepping outside) How about asking your mother? (Smiles at Rei)
 
Rei: (Surprised) Mom? (Turns around) I thought you were asleep...
 
Misato: Well, I was... I got up to get a glass of water and noticed you out here... is everything okay?
 
Rei: (Nods) I am fine, but I have been thinking...
 
Misato: (Curious) About what?
 
Rei: (Slightly blushing) I was debating about what to say to Aida...
 
Misato: Oh... you mean Kensuke... (Scratches her chin) Hmm... my daughter has a crush on the guy and is not sure what to do...
 
Rei: MOM!
 
Misato: (Chuckles to herself) Looks like my daughter really is growing up... (Rei looks at Misato and begins to blush even more)
 
Rei: (Trying to bring the conversation back to the problem at hand) (Hesitantly) Mom, I... I was wondering what I should say to Aida. I would like to... to get to know him a little bit more...
 
Misato: Why? How do you feel about him?
 
Rei: (Nervous and still blushing) I... I... have this feeling... (Slowly pats her chest with her slightly shaking hand)
 
Misato: You want to get to know him better?
 
Rei leans into her mother and nods. Misato lets out a slow sigh, then puts her arms around her daughter. As she does this, she unknowingly begins to rub her daughters' arm with her hand...
 
Misato: Well, I know he's a good boy... most of the time. First of all, I want to know why you like him...
 
Rei: Why would you need to know that?
 
Misato: Because then I can see how serious you are about this, so I can advise you properly on what you should do.
 
Rei: From what I remember of your dossier, you seemed to be... impulsive with your relationships, mother...
 
Steam slowly comes out in small wiffs from Misato's ears...
 
Misato: (Sternly) Take it from me Rei... I have found out enough to give you advice about this, OK!
 
Rei: Okay, mom...
 
Misato: Why don't we go back inside and talk about it? I'm starting to get cold out here... (Shivers)
 
Rei: (Smiling) Sure...
 
Misato and Rei head inside and go to Rei's room. Misato is holding her as she talks... who slowly falls asleep so that she is laying her head in her mothers' lap. After that, Misato sits there, running her fingers through her daughters' hair. She then softly whispers... "I hope that my advice helps" before leaving the room carefully and going to sleep...
 
 
Friday December 18th
 
 
The last school day before Winter Break has arrived, and all of the kids are anxious about getting out of class and enjoying the break. The day passed by quickly and without incident for most of them. For Rei, however, the time slipped by without her even knowing it. She spent the whole school day thinking about what to say to Kensuke... and didn't even notice when the last bell rang, signifying the end of the school day...
 
Asuka: Rei... (Waving her hands in front of her)... time to go...
 
Shinji: Come on Rei, let's go home...
 
Rei: (Looks around the room) I have something that I need to do, I will be home later...
 
Asuka: All right, we'll see you later...
 
Shinji and Asuka leave the room, and the classroom quickly empties. Soon only Rei and Kensuke remain in the room. Kensuke is still staring at his computer screen when Rei hesitantly approaches him...
 
Rei: I...
 
Rei has a feeling inside of her, a stirring of emotions. She pauses for a moment to focus on the task at hand...
 
Rei: I... would like to talk to you, Aida... (Has a sudden warm feeling in her heart)
 
Hearing her voice, Kensuke tilts his head and looks at Rei. He suddenly realizes that the classroom is empty- he had been daydreaming again...
 
Kensuke: Is this a dream?
 
Rei: (Having a blank look on her face) Not that I am aware of...
 
Kensuke: (Embarrassed) Oh, um, err... what... what did you need?
 
Rei: I would like to talk to you...
 
Kensuke: (Blushing) You... would? I mean, um, sure, Rei...
 
Rei: Since school is over for today, I would like to go somewhere with you and talk...
 
Kensuke almost falls over in his chair at her suggestion...
 
Kensuke: Umm... umm... ok...
 
Rei: Come with me...
 
A shocked and curious Kensuke follows Rei like a lost puppy as she heads to a local ramen shop. As they head to the shop, Shinji and Asuka have a brief exchange on their walk home...
 
Asuka: This is unusual. Rei normally walk home with us, what could she of had to do?
 
Shinji: Hmm... (Pauses) She mentioned that she had a list made up for Christmas presents... maybe she's picking up them up now...
 
Asuka: Yeah, that must be it, she's out Christmas shopping... (Pauses)... we better get home. I have to make up my own list...
 
Shinji and Asuka continue heading towards home. In the meantime, Rei and Kensuke have arrived at the ramen shop and are sitting across from each other in a booth...
 
Rei: You are curious at my insistence for you to come with me?
 
Kensuke: (Nervous) Y... yeah...
 
Rei: (Looking at Kensuke with her customary emotionless look) You must also be questioning why I chose you to come with me, correct?
 
Kensuke: Um, is this about what you asked me to think about at Asuka's party?
 
Rei: Why did you give Asuka a gift that would hurt her?
 
Kensuke: (Sighing heavily) You don't mince words, do you Rei?
 
Rei stares back at him blankly... he fumbles for a moment, then makes another statement...
 
Kensuke: Ok, ok... I was hurt. I felt like Asuka took my friends away from me. I saw how she had Shinji wrapped around her finger, so to speak, and of course it was obvious to me that she had influenced Hikari to eventually get on Toji's good side. So what I did was simply a reaction to that...
 
Rei: So... you sought revenge for your perceived slight by Asuka's relationship with my brother, and her influence of Hikari and Toji, by trying to embarrass her in front of her friends?
 
Kensuke: (Sighs) Yeah... (Pauses) I let my emotions run off with my intelligence. I'm really sorry I did that... (Lowers his head)
 
Rei now knows at this point that he is truly sorry for what he had done. She then asks him another important question...
 
Rei: We are having a Christmas Party on Thursday... I would like it if you would attend... (Slightly blushes)
 
Kensuke: Umm... are you sure you want me to go? I'm not too popular with Asuka or Shinji right now...
 
Rei: I was never popular in our class, Aida. I can understand that you may feel it would be inappropriate for me to ask you to come. I see you as I was before. I shut myself away in the EVA and did not bother to appreciate what was happening around me, and who was around me...
 
Kensuke looks at Rei, her words are really striking him head on...
 
Rei: I ask you to come so you do not end up like I was then. (Takes his hand) You cannot lose your friends Aida, it will hurt you as I had been hurt. I want to do this for my brother and your friends. I would like to be your friend, and I would like to assist you...
 
Kensuke: (Looking at Rei intently) You consider me your friend? (Rei nods) Thanks, Rei. (Pauses) Since you asked me as a friend, I would be honored to be there. (Smiles at Rei, who returns his smile with one of her own)
 
Both of them stand up, and Kensuke walks Rei home. After arriving at the apartment, they hesitantly go their separate ways. Little did they know that Misato had been watching them from the balcony, a smile on her face... `She did it! I knew that my girl could do it...'
 
Later that evening, Misato talks with her kids and begins to figure out what they want for the upcoming Christmas Party. Ideas get thrown around and they set up a plan on paper. Much later in the evening, after Misato, Shinji, Asuka, and Rei have turned in for the night, something unexpected begins to happen...
 
 
Saturday December 19th
 
 
Rei wakes up first in the morning and heads to the kitchen to get some cereal. As she walks into the kitchen, she notices something happening outside. Rei quickly walks up the balcony window and stares outside, awestruck at what is happening...
 
To see a picture of Rei staring out the window at this point, go to picture 88 on page 11...
 
Misato opens the door to her room and notices Rei staring out of the window. Squinting her eyes, she sudden realizes what Rei is looking at...
 
Misato: (Loudly) It's snowing! It's snowing!
 
Rei looks back at her mother and motions her to come to the window...
 
Rei: (Still in awe) This is... snow?
 
Misato: (Happily) Yeah, it is. I haven't seen it snow since I was a kid...
 
Pen-Pen waddles over to the window as well, and watches the light, fluffy snow fall to the ground. A few minutes later, Asuka and Shinji wake up and find the whole family staring out of the window...
 
Asuka: (Rubbing her eyes) What are you guys looking at?
 
Misato: (Enthusiastically) It's snowing!
 
Asuka: (Excited) Really? (Grabs Shinji and rushes to the window) Wow! It looks so pretty!
 
Shinji: I don't think that I've seen it snow before...
 
Misato: (Thinks to herself for a moment, then speaks) I think that all of us need some winter clothes... we better eat and rush down to the store. Winter clothes are scarce here and probably will go fast!
 
Asuka: Misato is right, let's eat breakfast now and get down there!
 
The whole family chows down a quick bowl of cereal, then Misato takes the kids over to one of the few stores in Tokyo-3 that has winter clothes. At the store, they run into Hikari and Toji, who had also come to get some winter clothes of their own. The store is jam packed with people, and the clothes are fast disappearing off of the shelves...
 
Misato: Quickly guys, pick out what you need and meet me in line! Go, go!
 
The kids head off and grab gloves, coats, and other winter necessities and join Misato in the huge checkout line...
 
Misato: (Looking at the line of people waiting to checkout) Damn, look at this line. We're lucky we got down here right away...
 
Asuka: You can say that again... this place is a madhouse...
 
Shinji: Yeah, this weather caught people off guard... including us...
 
Asuka looks over her shoulder at Toji and Hikari...
 
Asuka: I think some will be warm even without the extra clothes... (Winks)
 
Her comment caused Misato to nearly choke while Shinji blushes wildly...
 
Asuka: Since the weather is getting cold, I guess we'll be sleeping in the front room, right Shinji? (Nudges Shinji, causing him to blush even redder)
 
Shinji: Umm... yeah, of course. (Slowly puts his arms around Asuka and talks softly) I'll keep you warm...
 
Asuka: (Blushing) Shin-chan...
 
Misato: (Nudging Shinji and Asuka) Would you two move up? The line is moving...
 
Asuka playfully sticks out her tongue at Misato and shuffles forward, still in the hug...
 
The line keeps moving forward, and finally, after what had seemed to be an eternity, Misato and the kids reach the cashier and she pays for the clothes...
 
An idea suddenly pops into Misato's head as she waits with the kids for Hikari and Toji...
 
Misato: Hey, why don't we all go back to the park by our apartment and have a snowball fight?
 
Shinji has a blank look on his face...
 
Rei: What is that?
 
Asuka: (Snaps her fingers) Oh, yeah, a snowball fight...
 
Misato: I'll show you guys when we get to the park...
 
Rei: Okay...
 
To see a picture of Asuka and Shinji in their winter outfits, go to picture 133 on page 17. To see what Hikari and Toji look like at this point, go to picture 114 on page 14...
 
Hikari and Toji finish paying for their clothes a few minutes later, and accompany Misato and the kids to the park. After they get there, Misato quickly runs back up to the apartment and gets Pen-Pen, who is absolutely delighted to be outside in the snow...
 
Misato: Okay, guys, here is what we are going to do. Asuka and Toji will be with me, along with Pen-Pen. Rei, Shinji, and Hikari will be on the other team. Since we have a decent amount of snow on the ground, we can make a snow fort. Both teams will make a fort, and then make snowballs like this...
 
Misato picks up a ball of snow and packs it just slightly, forming a ball. Then with an evil glint in her eye she calls for Shinji and rares back to throw it, but instead of it hitting him, she turns to the side and nails Toji...
 
Toji: Misato!
 
Asuka begins to laugh at Toji's misfortune, and he begins to get upset. He quickly throws a snow ball at Asuka, who happens to fall over from laughing at the right time, dodging it. The snowball did hit someone, however...
 
Hikari: (Angry) Toji! Watch where you're throwing! (Asuka continues to laugh)
 
Toji: Sorry!
 
Misato: I see you guys have the basic idea... let's get started!
 
Everyone splits up into their respective teams and begin to construct the snow forts. Once that is done, the snowball fight begins...
 
Toji throws a snowball at Asuka and hits Hikari instead... she is quite vocal about being hit. "SUZAHARA! YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT!" Events begin to happen rapidly. Rei is pelted three times in rapid succession, making her fall down. She shakes her head and then keeps her head down, observing how her team is making and throwing the snowballs. Within one minute, she has gathers three dozen snowballs and then in rapid succession she nails Misato in the chest, Asuka on the side of her head, causing snow to go into her ear. Toji is the next one to get hit, and the snow goes up his nose...
 
Misato bends over and then opens up her jacket. She begins to brush off the snow off of her chest when Toji catches a glimpse of what she is doing... his nose begins to gush blood. Just a few seconds later, a snowball thrown by Hikari nails him in the face and the snow turns pink. Shinji notices what just happened and stops throwing snowballs. He starts to roll around on the ground, laughing uncontrollably at Rei's accuracy and the predicament of those she nails with the snowballs...
 
Shinji continues to roll around on the ground. He does not notice that Toji, Hikari, Misato and Asuka are soon standing over him holding snowballs... until it is too late...
 
Shinji: Um, Rei... help... (Gulps)
 
Rei: Sorry brother, you are on your own, I am out of snowballs.
 
Toji, Hikari, Misato, and Asuka pelt Shinji with a maelstrom of snowballs. Shinji manages to quickly pull himself into a ball just before the barrage starts...
 
Asuka: (Commenting on the situation) I guess the "Invincible" Shinji didn't get out of this one...
 
Shinji: (Pleading) I'm sorry!
 
Asuka: (Standing in front of Shinji) I think he gets it, guys. Stop throwing at my Shinji!
 
Out of the blue, Rei pelts Asuka, and she falls forward onto Shinji. The two of them are face to face in the snow. Misato, Hikari, and Toji turn and see that Rei has a large smirk on her face... she has thrown a perfect shot...
 
Asuka: (Pulling Shinji into a hug) Protect me, Shinji! Your sister is a deadly shot!
 
Hikari, Rei and Toji chuckle at Asuka's reaction. Misato looks around and notices Pen-Pen playing in the snow nearby...
 
Misato: (To herself) Pen-Pen is the only one who hasn't been hit... hmmm... (Has an evil smile on her face)
 
Misato quickly makes a snowball and launches it at Pen-Pen, hitting him in the side...
 
Pen-Pen: (Angry) SQUAWK! SQUAWK!
 
Rei: (Protesting) Mom! Why did you do that?
 
Misato: (Chuckling and crouched over) Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. He was the only one who didn't get hit with a snowball...
 
Pen-Pen looks at Misato, and sees an opportunity for revenge. He runs towards Misato and slides on his stomach down the ice covered path towards Misato. A few seconds later, he hits a mound of snow at the end of the path and flies into Misato's stomach, knocking her on her butt. All of the kids break out in laughter...
 
Misato: (Loudly) Pen-Pen!
 
Pen-Pen: (Standing on her stomach and pointing at her) SQUAAAAWK!
 
Misato: (Sighs) I'm sorry... (Sits up, then grabs Pen-Pen and holds him in her arms) (Softly) How about I get you some beer and salmon when we get home? Would you like that?
 
Pen-Pen nods and relaxes in Misato's arms. Hikari and Toji head home as Misato and the kids return to the apartment. Shinji whips up a tasty lunch for everyone. After lunch, Shinji and Asuka watch some TV together. Misato takes Rei out to get a formal dress for the upcoming party...
 
At the store, Rei and Misato look around to find a nice dress for the party...
 
Misato: What kind of dress do you want, Rei? They have so many here... (Continues to look through racks of dresses)
 
Rei: I would like something in blue...
 
Misato: (Pointing to a rack of dresses across the room) They have some nice blue ones over there! Come on, let's check them out!
 
Misato and Rei head across the room and look through a collection of formal dresses. One blue dress in particular catches Rei's eye, and she takes it off of the rack and holds it in front of her...
 
Rei: How about this one?
 
Misato: Yeah, that would look great on you! Go on and try it on! I'll wait here for you... (Shoves a small white box into her hands) Put these on as well. They'll be perfect with that dress...
 
Rei takes the dress and the box and heads off to a nearby changing room. She tries on the dress, and attaches the clip on earrings that were in the box. Standing in front of the mirror, Rei looks at herself and begins to think about how she looks...
 
To see a picture of Rei in her formal outfit, go to picture 89 on page 11...
 
Rei: (To herself) The dress and earrings make me look... different. (Smiles) My new outfit is quite nice. To think only a few months ago, I would never have even thought about wearing different clothes, let alone a dress... this dress. I know that mom will like the dress, and my brother will comment favorably about it. Asuka may comment on how I am becoming my own person with my taste in clothing. (Pauses) I wonder if Kensuke will like the dress... (Blushes)
 
Misato: (Yelling from outside the changing room) Are you almost ready, Rei?
 
Rei: I will be out in a moment...
 
Rei steps out of the changing room and stands in front of Misato. Misato is stunned by how wonderful her daughter looks in that dress...
 
Misato: Wow, Rei... you look really pretty in that dress!
 
Rei: T... thank you, mom...
 
Misato: I bet Kensuke will like it too... (Winks) You did ask him to come to our party, right?
 
Rei: (Blushing profusely) Y... yes. He is going to join us...
 
Misato pulls Rei into a hug, and speaks softly to her daughter...
 
Misato: I'm happy for you, Rei. You're trying new things and really becoming your own woman. I'm proud to have you as my daughter...
 
Rei: T... thank you, mom...
 
Rei changes back in her regular clothes and Misato pays for the dress and earrings. After heading home, they notice that Shinji and Asuka are making out their Christmas lists. Misato heads off to her own room to think about what to get fellow family members and friends for Christmas. Rei spends the evening watching TV as the rest of the family works on their Christmas lists...
 
 
Sunday December 20th
 
 
After breakfast, the morning and a good part of the afternoon are spent Christmas shopping- both as a family and on an individual basis. After all of the shopping is done, both Asuka and Shinji still have not figured out what to get for the other. Shinji approaches Misato and asks her for some suggestions...
 
To see a picture of Asuka and Rei shopping, go to picture 22 on page 3...
 
Shinji: Misato, I need some help. I want to get some special for Asuka, but I don't know what to get her...
 
Misato: (Scratching her head) Hmm... (Begins to think)
 
Shinji: Rei suggested that I get something that symbolizes my relationship with Asuka...
 
Misato: Jewelry is perfect for that... but it's expensive.
 
Shinji: (Sighs) I know, but what do I get her? (Pauses) I would like to get her a ring, I guess...
 
Misato: (Curious) A ring? What kind?
 
Shinji: (Blushing) Well, I don't know... I am not really good with rings, I've heard of engagement rings... but...
 
Misato: But you're not ready for that?
 
Shinji: (Nods his head) Is there anything like it, that shows how I feel for her... but not quite that?
 
Misato: Like what?
 
Shinji: Like a promise... a promise to... (Blushes very red just at the thought)
 
Misato: Ah, I see, well yes, there is a promise ring...
 
Shinji: Promise ring? (Grins slightly)
 
Misato: It's like an engagement ring... but not so... formal... it is more of a promise.
 
Shinji: Thanks, Misato!
 
Shinji leaves and heads to his room to think about what kind of ring and stone to get for Asuka. Asuka is sitting in the front room on the floor, reading a magazine. She notices that Shinji has gone to his room, and quickly calls out to Misato...
 
Asuka: Misato, can you come here for a second?
 
To see a picture of Asuka at this point, go to picture 48 on page 6...
 
Misato: Sure, Asuka... what did you need? (Sits on the floor next to her)
 
Asuka: What do you think I should get Shinji, yah know, for Christmas?
 
Misato: With Shinji, well, he doesn't need much but I think you could get him something that he can wear all the time. (Remembers her earlier discussion with Shinji) Hey... why don't you get him a pendant... or a ring?
 
Asuka: Do you think he'd wear a ring?
 
Misato simply nodded and smiled at the way things were falling into place...
 
Asuka: Okay... a ring. (Smiles)
 
Misato: Well, I know of a nice jewelry store on the way to NERV headquarters. We can stop there this week maybe you can come in with me one day and we can see what they got?
 
Asuka: Ok, Misato, that sounds good. That way, Shinji won't know what I'm getting him...
 
Misato: Just let me know which day you want to go next week...
 
Asuka: All right!
 
Misato walks away and smiles... not believing that she has just set up Shinji and Asuka with gifts that both will treasure for the rest of their lives...
 
The next three days pass by quickly... Misato manages to get Shinji and Asuka to the jewelry store on separate days without alerting the other teen as to what they were doing. Rei picks up the last of her presents as well. On Wednesday, the family spends a good part of the day outside in the snow, having fun together. The big day soon arrives...
 
To be continued in Part II...