Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 18: Christmas Eve Part II ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18: Christmas Eve Part II
 
Platinum edition note: Watched Disc 5 of the NGE Platinum Edition series, I could hear the new sound effects and stuff... kinda chilling during Episode 18 with the 13th Angel/EVA-3... hearing its neck crack and other stuff. Anyways, hope you guys can catch up, I'm gonna post this part and the next one at the minimum today. A few totally new lines and phrases, added more detail. Watch for it! (2/10/05)
 
Thursday December 24th
 
 
As part of NERV's community program for Tokyo-3, a "Santa" program is set up to help needy kids and to welcome newly moved in residents. A lottery was taken at NERV, and Aoba, Maya, Rei, Asuka, and Misato are asked to participate in this program. In the morning, Hikari and Toji stop by and drop off some needed items for the party...
 
Hikari: Where are you guys going?
 
Asuka: (Passively) Oh, some Santa thing for NERV...
 
Hikari: Can I come with?
 
Misato: (Happily) Sure! We'll just have to get you a Santa uniform for you when we go to headquarters...
 
Toji: Um... what about me?
 
Asuka: Simple. You and Shinji set up the stuff for the party... (Stands back to back with Hikari, Hikari points at Toji, Asuka points at Shinji) You guys better have everything set up by the time we come back, or else!
 
To see a picture of Hikari and Asuka at this point, look at picture 1, page 1...
 
Hikari: Got that Toji?
 
Toji: (Slightly nervous) Umm, yeah, sure...
 
Misato: I'm gonna change now... the kids' outfits are at headquarters. I`ll be right back!
 
Misato heads into her room and changes into her Santa outfit. She primps herself in the mirror and prepares to have a little “fun” when she heads out of her room. In the meantime, the kids hold a conversation about the upcoming party...
 
Rei: I have never been to a party before. This evening should prove to be... enjoyable... (Has a brief thought about Kensuke)
 
Asuka: (Happily) I'm sure it'll be fun!
 
Shinji: I, um... can't wait to see that pink dress of yours, Asuka... (Blushes)
 
Asuka: I bet you can't wait! (Winks at Shinji)
 
Toji: Hikari, did you get a new dress for this party?
 
Hikari: (Nods) Mm-hmm. I went out and got it myself... Asuka doesn't even know what it looks like...
 
Toji: Oh, okay...
 
Hikari: (Looking at Rei) Rei, I heard you got a new dress... Asuka told me about your shopping trip with Misato...
 
Rei: (Nods her head) Yes... it is a nice dress...
 
Before Hikari can ask anything more of Rei, Misato walks out of her room and makes a peace sign...
 
Misato: Well, what do you guys think of the outfit? I think I look... (Winks)... nice... (Bends over for a moment to show off her front)
 
Shinji puts on hand on his face and shakes his head in disbelief...
 
To see a picture of this scene, go to picture 16 on page 2...
 
Asuka: Yeah, um... it's nice...
 
Toji: (Trying to restrain himself) That's the Santa outfit? Hmmm... (Scratches his head) Could you take a picture of Hikari, so I can see what she looks like in her Santa outfit?
 
Hikari: (Embarrassed) Toji!
 
Toji: I just want to see what you would look like... I bet you'd, um, look pretty cute... (Blushes)
 
Hikari: Toji... (Swoons)
 
Misato: (Sighs) Geez, you two are getting to be like Asuka and Shinji here...
 
Toji and Hikari look at Misato with a confused expression on their faces while Asuka gets a little unnerved by the comment...
 
Asuka: Just what do you mean by that, Misato? (Stares at Misato)
 
Misato: Ooohh, nothing. (Looks at her watch and finds a way out of a possible confrontation with Asuka) We better get going... see you guys later!
 
Misato, Rei, Hikari, and Asuka head out of the apartment. Shinji begins to pull out the materials for the party, including a sprig of mistletoe...
 
To see a picture of Asuka in her Santa outfit, go to picture 7 on page 1, also see picture 162 on page 20 for a great picture of Asuka in her "Santa" outfit. To see a picture of Rei in her Santa outfit, go to picture 9 on page 2...
 
Toji: (Noticing the mistletoe in Shinji's hand) Ah... you got some mistletoe. That'll be perfect for after the dance... (Thinks about Hikari)
 
Shinji: (Looks down at the mistletoe that is in his hands and begins to shake his head) Toji... you're right. It would be nice to get a kiss under this stuff... I'm sure Asuka would think its very romantic...
 
Toji: I'm sure she would... and Hikari too... (Pauses) Well, let's get started! We have to have everything ready before our girlfriends get back, or they'll kill us... (Gulps)
 
Shinji: Yeah...
 
Shinji and Toji got to work, setting up streamers and ornaments and other decorations to turn the front room and kitchen into a mini-ballroom of sorts. After doing that, they start to rummage through Misato's CD box, which she had left earlier on the kitchen table. Shinji soon finds two CD's that may prove useful...
 
Shinji: I think these two are a good start... (Reads off the title of the CD's) Traditional Christmas music and the other one is called Slow Songs, Volume 1...
 
Toji: Sounds good... but who is gonna be the DJ?
 
As if by cue, Pen-Pen waddles up to Toji and pulls on his pant leg...
 
Toji: (Looking questioningly at the penguin) You? (Pen-Pen nods) I guess you could do it... it would sure make for one hell of a story if anyone asks about the party...
 
Shinji: Pen-Pen can handle it...
 
Pen-Pen: (Enthusiastically) SQUUUUUAWK!
 
Toji: I guess that's settled. I'm gonna go home and get ready for the party... be back in a little while, ok?
 
Shinji: Yeah, no problem...
 
Toji heads home and changes into his suit. On the way back to Shinji's apartment, he stops at a local florist and picks up some flowers for Hikari. As he walks into the kitchen, Toji finds Shinji cooking...
 
Toji: What's cooking?
 
Shinji: (Passively) Oh, just some miso soup, nothing special. I thought the girls would like to have something to eat when they came back from that Santa thing...
 
Toji: Good idea, man. (Pauses) What do you think of my suit?
 
To see a picture of Toji in his suit with the flowers, go to picture 32 on page 4...
 
Shinji: (Looking at Toji's outfit) You look great... and you got flowers. Hikari will be very happy tonight...
 
Toji: Yeah...
 
A few moments later, the girls return home, having finished their "tour of duty" with the Santa program...
 
Misato: We're back!
 
Asuka: Yeah... (Looks around the apartment) Looks like you guys got everything ready...
 
Hikari: (Notices Shinji standing in front of the stove) What are you making, Shinji?
 
Shinji: (Turning off the flame) Miso soup. Do you guys want some?
 
Asuka: Sure! I'm starving!
 
Toji: Hikari, do you like my outfit?
 
Hikari turns a takes a look at Toji. As she does so, he flashes her a smile...
 
Hikari: Y... you look very nice, Toji... (Waving her hand in front of her)
 
Toji: Um, thanks. These flowers are for you... (Hands her a bouquet of many different kinds of flowers)
 
Hikari: (Blushing) Thanks...
 
Asuka: Let's eat before the food gets cold! There'll be plenty of time to flirt later, cassanova...
 
Toji: (Slightly agitated) All right, all right... (Sits down at the table)
 
Rei, Asuka, Misato, and Hikari sit down at the table as Shinji serves them all some miso soup. After eating, Hikari heads home to get changed. Rei, Asuka, and Shinji head to their rooms and change into their formal outfits. Misato quickly darts into her room, gets her camera out, and waits for everyone to return...
 
Shinji is the first one of the three pilots to finish changing. He goes into the kitchen and nervously waits for Asuka to come out of her room...
 
Toji: Relax, Shinji. You'll knock her dead with that suit...
 
A few seconds later, Asuka's door opens up. Shinji watches as Asuka steps out of her room and walks right towards him, stopping right in front of him. He cannot help but stare at her in awe...
 
Shinji: (To himself) She looks so pretty! Wow! She's a knockout!
 
To see a picture of Asuka wearing her pink dress, go to picture 56 on page 7...
 
Asuka: (Noticing the expression on Shinji's face) Do you like the dress, Shinji? (Winks seductively)
 
Shinji: (Blushing and at a loss for words) Um... um... yeah. Y... you look g... gorgeous...
 
Asuka: (Happily) Thanks! You're looking handsome this evening...
 
Shinji blushes even more and is unable to make a response. Hikari returns to the apartment and walks into the kitchen. Misato watches as Toji follows in Shinji's footsteps... his eyes are glued on Hikari and her new cute but conservative black dress...
 
To see a picture of Hikari in her black dress, go to picture 154 on page 19...
 
Toji: (To himself) Damn! Hikari looks great in that dress!
 
Hikari: (Nervously) Toji, do you... like my dress?
 
Toji: Y... yeah... (He checks to make sure he isn't drooling)
 
Misato is about to check on Rei when she walks into the kitchen. Every eye in the kitchen immediately locks onto her...
 
Asuka: Wow, Rei... looking sharp! (Rei blushes)
 
Misato: Doesn't my daughter look great?
 
Toji: (Nodding his head) Yeah...
 
Hikari: Looks very pretty... (Whispers in Toji's ear) What are you so excited about?
 
Toji: Um, nothing... I was just surprised by her new look, that's all...
 
Hikari: (Softly) I thought so...
 
Shinji: Rei, you look gorgeous...
 
Rei: Thank you, brother...
 
Asuka: (Jealous) Hey!
 
Shinji immediately realizes what he has just done. He quickly puts an arm on both Rei and Asuka's shoulders...
 
Shinji: I think that both of you look gorgeous tonight...
 
Misato leans over and whispers in Shinji's ear...
 
Misato: (Softly) Nice save, Shinji...
 
Asuka: (Folding her arms) Well, if you put it that way... I won't have to punish you...
 
Shinji: Asuka!
 
Asuka: (Giggling) Just kidding!
 
Misato: You guys get together... I want to take a picture of all five of you!
 
Misato takes a picture of all five of the partygoers, and then takes a picture of each one individually. Rei asks for a picture of her and Shinji together, and Misato happily complies...
 
To see a picture of Shinji and Rei dressed up at this point, go to picture 17 on page 3...
 
Rei: Shinji, can you take a picture of Mom and I?
 
Shinji: Sure... (Gets the camera from Misato)
 
Misato stands next to Rei and both smile as Shinji snaps a picture. Pen-Pen soon thereafter waddles out of his refrigerator and with a little help from Misato, gets the party started. Different Christmas songs soon begin to fill the room. After a little while, they begin to dance around and have fun...
 
Rei: (To herself) Where is Aida? He said that he was coming...
 
The music continues to flow from the CD player. Pen-Pen is sitting next to it, beer in flipper. Misato watches the kids dancing and having fun together...
 
Misato: (Sighs) (To herself) Look at them... they're having so much fun. These guys sure have matured since I first met them. My kids especially have begun to grow up...
 
Misato has a glass of eggnog and then manages to hear the ringing of her doorbell over the loud music. She gets up, walks to the door, and finds a nervous Kensuke standing outside the door. He is all dressed up and carrying a stack of presents...
 
Misato: Come in, Kensuke. I'm sure Rei is waiting for you...
 
Kensuke: (Blushing) O... okay... (Steps inside and Misato closes the door)
 
Misato: I'll take those presents and put them in the stack for later...
 
Kensuke: Thanks... but I need to hold onto the bottom two...
 
Misato: Sure... (Takes the presents and walks into the kitchen where she puts them with the rest of the presents)
 
Asuka notices what Misato is doing and is immediately curious...
 
Asuka: Hey Misato, where did all of those presents come from?
 
Misato: Kensuke just came in. He brought them for you guys...
 
Shinji, Toji, and Hikari stop dead in their tracks and have a look of surprise on their faces. Pen-Pen notices what has just happened and stops the music. Asuka, however, reacts in a different way...
 
Asuka: (Fuming) He's here? (Spots Kensuke standing in the hallway) Payback time! (Smiles evilly)
 
Asuka rushes forward and grabs Kensuke, her eyes filled with anger. The two presents that were in his hands fall to the ground...
 
Asuka: (Yelling) What the hell are you doing here? Who invited you?
 
Kensuke tries to stutter a response, but fails...
 
Rei: (Loudly) I did...
 
Shinji, Hikari, and Toji double take a look at Rei. Asuka drops Kensuke on the ground and walks over to Rei...
 
Asuka: (Loudly) Why the hell did you invite HIM!!??
 
Rei looks at Kensuke and nods her head, motioning him to say something. Misato is about to step in when she notices what Rei is doing. She thinks to herself... `I think my daughter has it under control here... but Kensuke has to speak up before Asuka does something else...' She helps Kensuke back to his feet and then he begins to speak...
 
Kensuke: (Very nervous) (Bows) I... I'm sorry, Asuka. I got angry when it looked like you were taking my friends away from me. (Asuka continues to stare at him. He flinches for a moment and continues) I thought that if I could get things back to the way they were before, then I'd be happy. That didn't work at all, though, and it made me feel worse afterwards. (Takes a deep breath) When I talked to Rei, she reminded me of how important friends were. I'm sorry that I made a mess of things...
 
Kensuke picks up the two presents that had fallen to the ground, and hands them to Asuka...
 
Kensuke: I am asking for f... forgiveness here, that's why I brought presents with me. The first one is for your birthday... (Sighs) And the second is for Christmas. (Bows to Asuka again) If you wish, I will go now...
 
Asuka: (Trying to decide what to do) Let me look at these presents first... there better not be any costumes in there, or I'm gonna kick your scrawny...
 
Misato: (Cutting her off) Asuka!
 
Kensuke: There are no costumes in there... (Sighs heavily)
 
Asuka takes the first present and rips the wrapping off of it. Finding an envelope underneath, she quickly opens it and is surprised to find a gift certificate for the Tokyo-3 mall in there...
 
Asuka: Good so far, baka. Let's see what's in the other one...
 
She tears the wrapping paper off of the second gift and finds another envelope. Opening the envelope, she is shocked to find two passes to the Tokyo-3 Teen Dance Club...
 
Misato: (Trying to see what Asuka got from Kensuke) Let's see what you got, Asuka... (Asuka silently shows Misato the gift certificate and the two passes) (Whistles) This must have cost a fortune... that dance club just opened up last week, and tickets are impossible to find...
 
Rei: (Looking at Asuka) Do you accept Aida's apology?
 
Asuka: I... I... I guess so. (Folds her arms)
 
Shinji comes up behind Asuka and puts his hands on her shoulders...
 
Shinji: (Whispering in Asuka's ear) You did good, Asuka. Give him a chance...
 
Asuka: I will, if only for you and Rei...
 
Toji: (Putting his arm around Kensuke) Nice to have you back, man... (Turns and looks at Asuka and Hikari) We wouldn't be the "Three Stooges" without you...
 
Hikari and Asuka both roll their eyes at his comment...
 
Hikari: It's nice to have you back, Kensuke. I know that Toji was worried about you...
 
Kensuke: (Looking at Toji) You were?
 
Toji: Hikari! You weren't suppose to tell anyone...
 
Asuka, Shinji, and Misato break out in laughter at Toji's comments. Rei and Kensuke just look at each other...
 
Misato: (Stifling her laughter) Well... since the music is stopped for now, and Kensuke is here, why don't we open up the presents now?
 
Rei: Mom, I thought that Christmas presents were supposed to be opened on Christmas Day...
 
Misato: It's a family tradition to open some gifts before hand. Since you're my daughter, I'm passing down this tradition to you... (Gives Rei a hug)
 
Rei: Thank you, mom...
 
Asuka: Aww... (Pauses until Rei and Misato finish their hug) Can we get started now? I can't wait to see what you guys got me!
 
Misato: Ok, one second... I'll be right back...
 
Misato heads into the kitchen and starts to bring the presents into the front room. After two trips, she manages to bring all of them over. All of them sit in a circle around the pile of presents...
 
Asuka: (Excited) I wanna go first! You guys don't mind, do you?
 
Shinji: Go ahead, Asuka...
 
Hikari: Yeah, go ahead...
 
Asuka starts to go through the pile, pulling out any presents with her name on it. She then begins to open her gifts. From Hikari she received a new fur lined leather coat, which is waist length with a hood attached. A gift certificate for the "Herbal Shop" store in the mall is what she received from Toji...
 
Asuka: (Happily) Thanks guys!
 
Hikari & Toji: No problem...
 
Shinji goes next and begins to open his gifts. He receives a bottle of designer cologne from Hikari, and then opens Kensuke's gift... and just stares at it...
 
Shinji: Umm, Kensuke, what's on this disc?
 
Kensuke: You still have that Counter-Strike 2015 game on your computer, right?
 
Shinji: (Nodding) Yeah...
 
Kensuke: The disc has a custom mod. file I made just for you. It changes the enemies to look like... (Lowers his voice to a mere whisper)... Commander Ikari...
 
Shinji: (Shakes his head) Kensuke, you're bad...
 
Kensuke: I know...
 
Shinji opens up Toji's gift, and finds two books. He picks up the top book and reads the title out loud...
 
Shinji: Dante's Inferno? What the hell is this?
 
Asuka immediately turns and looks angrily at Toji. The rest of the room falls silent...
 
Toji: (Nervous because of Asuka's reaction) Um... it's a joke, ok? The real present is the other book... (Asuka slowly turns her gaze away)
 
Shinji: Let's see what this other book is called... "Human Teenage Relationships: How To Make Them Work..."
 
Toji: I thought you could, um... maybe use it to help your relationship with Asuka and make it better...
 
Shinji: (Smiles) Thanks, Toji... I'll read it...
 
Hikari is the next one in the circle, so she grabs her presents and begins to open them up. She receives a new brown sweater and green scarf from Asuka. Opening the next present, she is surprised to find a thick green book underneath the wrappings...
 
Kensuke: It's a book that talks about major Japanese families in history. I remember you mentioned something about being curious about your heritage a while back, so I thought you might find this book interesting...
 
Hikari: Thank you... I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find...
 
Misato: (Hands a large box to Hikari) This one is from me... I hope you like it...
 
Hikari nods and then opens the box up. She reaches in and holds up a dark green cocktail dress...
 
Hikari: Wow, this is pretty! Thanks Misato!
 
Misato: No problem... look in the box again, there's more...
 
Hikari reaches into the box and pulls out matching pumps and a new purse...
 
Hikari: (Happily) These are great!
 
Misato: Now you can wear that dress when you go on a formal date with Toji. Wear that outfit, and I guarantee it'll make you look older and sexier... (Toji begins to space out and begins to make a mental picture of what Hikari would look like in the dress)... look, your boyfriend is already picturing you in that dress...
 
Toji blushes as everyone in the room turns and looks at him...
 
Hikari: (Saving Toji from further embarrassment) Oh, look, this one is from Rei...
 
Hikari opens the present and finds three E-books on cooking from around the world...
 
Hikari: Thanks! I can look at these in my palm pilot...
 
Rei: You are welcome...
 
Hikari opens her last two presents... she receives an "Iron Chefs Special Edition Cookbook" from Shinji and a bracelet from Toji. She smiles, as she looks closer at the bracelet and gazes at the detail on it. Three intertwined cords run the length of the bracelet... one silver, one gold, one platinum. Along one part of it there is a flat piece of gold that says "Hikari Horaki and Toji Suzahara" and then has a small verse below their names- "Tis one band for my life... Tis another for yours... Though to hold them together requires love."
 
Toji: (Nervously) Umm... I hope you like it...
 
Hikari gives him the evil eye, making him nervous. She walks up and instead of slapping him, yanks his head down and gives him a very strong, passionate kiss. Toji then falls down on his butt and everyone has a good laugh at the dazed look on his face...
 
Misato: (Still laughing) Wh... why don't I go next?
 
Misato begins to open her presents and is quite please to receive a visitor's pass to the Yabishi brewery and a microwave cookbook from Hikari. She opens Kensuke's present and finds an envelope with a piece of paper inside, the words "IOU Upgrade" are written on it...
 
Misato: (Confused) What is this?
 
Kensuke: Oh, it's an IOU for a computer upgrade. I'm sure you could use a free upgrade and tweaking of your computer...
 
Misato: Thanks... I'll let yah know when to come by and tweak it...
 
Picking up Toji's present, Misato immediately notices how heavy it is...
 
Misato: What's in here, Toji? Feels pretty heavy...
 
Toji: Open it up and see, I think you'll like it...
 
Misato unwraps the large present and looks at her present. A large, beaming smile is soon on her face...
 
Misato: (Happily) Thank you... (Holds up a neon sign with the words "Yebisu Beer" on it) I'll have to find a place to hang it, but it's great!
 
Asuka: (Sighs heavily) Oh wonderful, now we won't just see the cans but the blinking light as well?
 
Misato: (Excited) Yep! (Winks)
 
Toji is the next one in the circle, and he begins to dig through his gifts. Opening up Shinji's present, he finds a book on "Being A Good Boyfriend for "Real" Dummies!" Toji looks at the book with a quizzed look, and then thanks Shinji, not getting the joke. Shinji starts to laugh and Hikari and Misato begin to giggle. Asuka bursts out into laughter while Kensuke and Rei wonder what is so funny...
 
Toji: (Angry) I'm gonna get you for this, Shinji!
 
Shinji: (Regaining his composure) Seriously, Toji, I'm trying to help you out here... you can use the book to get closer to Hikari...
 
Hikari: Toji already knows how to be that...
 
Toji looks over at Hikari and they both exchange loving glances. She emphasized her point by sitting so close to him she is practically in his lap while caressing the new bracelet he had given her. Just remembering the words themselves brought a blush to her cheeks...
 
Kensuke: It would seem that the one that really needed it was you, Shinji...
 
This time Toji, Hikari and Misato laugh leaving Shinji stammering and Asuka debating whether or not she should say anything. Her debate was interrupted as Toji reached for another gift. Feeling a bit nervous at Hikari's closeness, he soon resumes opening up the presents... receiving a gift certificate for a dinner for two at any 5-star Tokyo 3 restaurant from Misato and a special imported NBA basketball from Asuka...
 
Kensuke: (Handing a gift to Toji) My gift will complement Asuka's perfectly...
 
Toji eagerly opens up the present and is pleasantly surprise to find a pair of new basketball shoes inside. Happily, he reaches for his last present, which is from Rei...
 
Toji: I wonder what Rei got me... (Opens the package and finds a "Special Sports Illustrated Issue of the 50 Top Swimsuit Issues Models" inside) Wow!
 
Hikari bops him on the head after glancing at the magazine... Rei has a slight smirk as that happens. Everyone else glances skeptically at Rei, trying to figure out why she got him that. Toji grabs the attached sticky note and reads it to himself... "The hottest one is inside!" Opening the cover of the magazine, he is shocked to see a plethora of Hikari pictures with the title of "Hikari Horaki on Vacation in the Sun"...
 
Toji: (Happily) You're right, Rei, this one is the hottest babe!
 
Hikari: (Snatching the magazine away from him) (Angry) What are you looking at now? (Looks down at open pages of the magazine and notices a collection of pictures of her from the beach trip) (Mortified) REI! Where did you get those pictures?
 
Rei: We took those pictures on vacation.
 
Hikari: But...
 
Toji: (Glancing at the magazine over Hikari's shoulder) WOW! You look great in this swimsuit!
 
Hikari: (Turning beet red) Rei, how did you come up with this idea for a present?
 
Rei: I observed that most males go to the beach to admire the female figure in all its forms. I surmised that Toji wanted to see you in that state so I took these pictures with that intent. Merry Christmas to the both of you...
 
Toji and Hikari both turn very, very red... and Kensuke and Shinji feel a little bit uncomfortable as well...
 
Misato: (Trying to get back to business) Well then, what do you have Rei? Let's see...
 
Rei: Okay, mom... (Begins to open her presents)
 
Rei opens up her present from Toji and find a gift certificate to the "Tokyo-3 Mega Arcade" inside with a note saying to "Have some fun"...
 
Rei: (Looking at Kensuke) Will you help me play these games? I would like to play against someone else...
 
Kensuke: (Blushing) Um... um... sure thing Rei...
 
Hikari: Open mine next... (Hands Rei a box)
 
Rei opens the box and finds a book on the film "Metropolis" inside...
 
Hikari: I thought you might like this book because it talks about integrating into a more human life...
 
Rei: Thank you.
 
Kensuke: (His hands shake nervously) I have a gift for you, Rei... (Hands Rei a small present)
 
Rei opens up the present and finds a small box inside. She slowly opens the lid and then gazes inside...
 
Rei: (Blushing) It is very beautiful...
 
She reaches inside the box and pulls out a necklace with a sliver rose on it. Blue stones prominently shine inside the flower's core...
 
Asuka: Wow! That looks pretty!
 
Kensuke: Rei, umm... read the note that I attached...
 
Rei silently reads the note to herself... "This was the only way I knew how to thank you for helping me try to get my friends back..." She promptly puts the necklace on and gazes at it a moment...
 
Asuka: Wow Rei, that looks good.
 
Hikari: Yeah, don't you think it looks good, Kensuke?
 
When he had first entered the apartment, Asuka diverted his attention, so he didn't truly notice what Rei was wearing. But now, Kensuke is fully aware of Rei's beautiful appearance. He intently stares at Rei, and manages to get out a response without stuttering...
 
Kensuke: You look very pretty... (Kensuke and Rei blush)
 
Asuka, Shinji, Hikari, and Toji look at the pile and realize that there are only two presents left. They were not expecting to see Kensuke at the party...
 
Shinji: Sorry Kensuke...
 
Hikari: We didn't know that you were coming...
 
Toji: Yeah...
 
Asuka has a somber look on her face as she silently nods...
 
Kensuke: It's okay guys...
 
Misato: Rei and I have presents for you... (Hands him the last two gifts)
 
Kensuke rips the wrapping off of the first gift and finds a bundle of DVD's...
 
Misato: Those have battle footage of the EVA's facing the Angels. Since you're such a military buff, I thought you might enjoy that...
 
Misato thinks to herself... `This maybe classified footage but hey, he's part of NERV now, so he won't get in trouble if he watches it...'
 
Kensuke: This is so cool! Thank you!
 
Misato: No problem.
 
Kensuke then diverts his attention to the last present. After removing the wrapping paper, he opens up the box that was inside... and pulls out an old helmet...
 
Kensuke: Neat! Where did you get this from, Rei?
 
Asuka: (Looking at the helmet) What the hell is it?
 
Rei: It is an American helmet from World War II. I knew of Aida's fondness for military memorabilia, so I went to the military supply store in the mall...
 
Kensuke: It's awesome! Thank you so much!
 
Rei: You are welcome.
 
Misato: (Standing up) Pen-Pen, put in that "Gap Band" CD! It's time to party again!
 
To be continued in Part III...