Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 19: Christmas Day to New Years Part I ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 19: Christmas Day to New Years Part I
 
A/N: Some new lines and minor corrections, not too much was changed in this one.
 
 
Friday December 25th 2015
 
After a wonderful night's sleep, Shinji is the first to awaken. He opens his eyes and immediately sees the fiery red hair of his girlfriend. Gently, Shinji begins to run his fingers through her soft hair...
 
Shinji: (Softly to himself) (Happily) It wasn't a dream... she really did stay with me last night. I must be the luckiest guy on earth...
 
Shinji continues to gently run his fingers through Asuka's hair. A couple of minutes later, Asuka begins to stir. She can feel his fingers in her hair... and likes the fact that he is showing affection on his own towards her.
 
Asuka: (Opens her eyes, then smiles) Good morning, Shinji.
 
Shinji: (Smiles) Good morning, Asuka...
 
A rustling of sheets can be heard as Misato wakes up and looks at the two teenagers on the bed...
 
Misato: (Yawns) Morning, kids...
 
Shinji & Asuka: Morning, Misato...
 
About one second later, both Shinji and Asuka do a double take and nearly fall over...
 
Asuka: (Loudly) What the hell are you doing in here?
 
Misato: I'm simply living up to my end of our agreement... you do remember the deal we made last night, right?
 
Asuka: (Howls) That doesn't mean every other day, does it?
 
Misato: Well, it will be... 'till you either get hitched or I run out of my beer supply... (Chuckles)
 
Shinji: (Finally voicing a response to the situation) Ah... be serious now, Misato. You can trust us to keep things safe.
 
Misato: Maybe in your heads guys, but when a male and a female are that close... and they know there is no one but themselves to supervise, you might need super size diapers in nine months time...
 
A loud "Grrr" was heard from a now exasperated Asuka after Misato's last comment, Shinji simply sighs and realizes that they had no chance in this discussion. Rei enters the room a moment later and looks around...
 
Rei: (Looking at Shinji) Did you decide to have a sleep over and forget to invite me?
 
Shinji: Oh no, Rei, you see we umm...
 
Misato looks at Rei with her mouth hanging open. Asuka begins to chuckle as Shinji tries to explain to Rei what was going on. As he tries to sputter out a response, Rei looks at Misato...
 
Rei: Is that how you are supposed to do a "guilt trip"?
 
Asuka: (Exasperated) Geez... Misato, what are you teaching this girl?
 
Misato: (Quickly changing the subject) Well... since its Christmas Day, why don't we have a special breakfast. (Everyone turns and looks at Shinji)
 
Shinji: (Nervous) Umm... umm...
 
Rei: (Stoically as ever) You want my first Christmas in the family to be special, right brother?
 
Asuka: (Wrapping an arm around Shinji's waist) Come on, Shin-Chan... we all know that you are the best cook around. You want my first Christmas here to be special, right? Otherwise... (Pauses to let her words sink in and then bats her eyes and shows a little pout to her love) I may not want to snuggle tonight...
 
Feeling the pressure and faced with the possibility of not being with Asuka that evening, Shinji caves into their demands...
 
Shinji: (Sighs) I'll get to work on breakfast... I'll let you guys know when it's ready... (Stands up and leaves the room)
 
Asuka: See that, Rei? That's a real "guilt trip"... you have to know how to "persuade" your boyfriend... (Winks)
 
Misato just looks at Asuka, who has obviously mastered the concept that she was trying to show to Rei. Rei observes the interaction between the Misato and Asuka, and makes a decision to try her hand with this "guilt trip" idea. Before she can do so, however, Misato and Asuka explain the deal that was made so Asuka and Shinji could spend the night together.
 
Rei: Mom, why are you questioning Asuka and Shinji's word? Did they not promise to keep themselves under control?
 
Misato: Well, they are teenagers and I know they have these urges...
 
Rei: What kind of urges, Mom?
 
Misato: Hmmmm... I think we'll need to talk later, Rei.
 
Rei: But what do these urges do to make you question them?
 
Asuka: (Sarcastically) Yeah, Misato, tell us about these "urges"...
 
Asuka smiles at Misato, who seems to be squirming...
 
Misato: (Nervously) Umm... umm... Rei and I will talk about this later. Let's go and see how our breakfast is coming along... (Stands up and drags her futon out of the room)
 
Asuka: (Softly to herself) Gotcha...
 
Rei looks at Asuka in silence, then stands up...
 
Rei: Let's go and see what Shinji is making for breakfast... (Sniffing the air) It smells good...
 
Asuka: Sounds good to me...
 
Asuka and Rei walk into the kitchen and find Misato sitting at the table, eagerly awaiting the completion of breakfast. The two girls sit down and watch Shinji put the finishing touches on breakfast, after which he sets the food down in front of the hungry women...
 
Shinji: Hope you guys like it... (Everyone at the table begins to dig in and eat)
 
Asuka: (Grabbing a sausage with her fork) Tastes good to me! (Smiles) You picked another one of my favorites, didn't you?
 
Shinji can feel Asuka caress his hand a moment later, silently thanking him without words. Rei picks up a piece of French toast and cautiously takes a bite...
 
Rei: I have never had this before... where did you get the idea to make this for breakfast?
 
Shinji: (Slightly blushing) Oh... I just thought you guys would like something different and special for breakfast...
 
Shinji looks around at the others at the table. He takes in the happy and caring looks... all different from the three girls most important in his life. Misato's bold and happy look, Asuka's smile, and Rei's raised eyebrow with a slight upward slant at the edges of her lips say all that he needs to know... he made them happy.
 
Misato: (Stuffing her face) This is incredible! I'm gonna miss your cooking when you and Asuka get married...
 
Asuka nearly spits out her food at Misato's comment. Shinji almost gags on his food, and Rei looks at Misato with a curious look...
 
Asuka: (Very red) Misato! (Looks at Shinji for a moment, who has also turned quite red, then looks at Misato again) (Yelling) I thought you had enough of those marriage jokes when we were on vacation!
 
Shinji looks at Asuka and recalls her reaction a moment ago... `Why did she react that way?' He lowers his head, not feeling very good at the moment. Asuka notices Shinji's reaction and begins to feel bad. She thinks to herself... `Did I do the right thing by getting that ring?'
 
Misato notices Shinji and Asuka's reaction and realizes her mistake. She can easily tell that Shinji feels crushed and Asuka is doubting herself. Rei looks at Misato trying to figure out what has happened. She knew that both Shinji and Asuka loved each other, so why did the prospect of marriage suddenly make them sad? 'This is intriguing,' she said to herself as she stood up.
 
Rei: Mom, why are you talking about marriage?
 
Misato: (Trying to dodge the subject) (Looks away from Rei) Oh, no reason... but... um... (Looks back at Rei with a smile) Why don't we open presents now? I'm sure everyone will feel better after getting their presents!
 
Rei: I will get the presents... (Stands up and walks out of the room)
 
Both Shinji and Asuka look at Rei as she leaves the room; then with a look similar to that of receiving a death sentence they cast glances at the other. With the both of them silently praying the same prayer, `I hope she/he doesn't reject me.'
 
Misato gets up and walks over to the front room, sitting down in the middle of the floor. As Shinji and Asuka get up and follow suit, Pen-Pen emerges from his refrigerator, still slightly hung over from the previous night's activities...
 
Misato: (Smiling) Oh, Pen-Pen, come here! We're gonna open presents now!
 
Pen-Pen: (Loudly) SQUUUUUAWWK! (Walks over to Misato)
 
Shinji and Asuka sit down next to Misato, one on each side, Pen-Pen is in Misato's lap. All of them watch as Rei brings in a small pile of presents a moment later. Rei notices immediately that Asuka and Shinji are not sitting next to each other as she thought they would be... she thinks to herself- `Why are they not sitting next to each other?' After being puzzled for a moment, she sets the presents down on the floor, then sits down across from Misato...
 
Rei begins to divide the presents up. As she does so, Shinji cannot look up from his lap. No matter how hard he tries, he can't get the image of Asuka spitting out her breakfast at the thought of being with him out of his mind. 'Does she not really like me that much? Last night was wonderful... and these past two months has been better than I could have dreamed. But does she not love me that much? Am I still just a baka to her? Will she laugh at me?'
 
On the other side of Misato, Asuka was having similar thoughts. She cannot look up, no matter how much her pride tells her to. 'That baka! How can he choke on his food at the thought of marrying me? I thought he loved me... he said he loved me... please God, tell me he really loves me.'
 
Misato notices Asuka and Shinji's reaction and stealthily removes two small presents from the pile. A few seconds later the sound of paper being crumpled alerts Shinji and Asuka to what is happening now. Looking in the direction of the sound they see Rei opening a present. Asuka forces herself to make a happy face, to hide her grief...
 
Asuka: (Eyeing the bracelet enviously) Looks nice, Rei...
 
Shinji, momentarily taken away from his grief, sees the present that Rei just opened, a present from him to his sister. He smiles at her expression of gratitude...
 
Shinji: Do you like it, Rei?
 
Rei is unable to make a response. As she continues to stare at the bracelet, which has blue stones all over it and the inscription "For my loving sister, Rei" on it, she has a warm feeling in her heart. She has not received something this special before... a tear works it way down her cheek as she looks at it. A smile begins to appear slowly on her face- not just at the corners, but a genuine smile, which graces her form as she considers it.
 
Rei: (Softly) Thank you, brother...
 
Asuka lets a warm smile break through her mask as she watches Rei's reaction. Before she can comment, she sees Misato pick up a present. She instantly notices it was the one that she got for her guardian... with help.
 
Misato: (Shaking the box happily) What have we here?
 
Asuka: Um... that's from all three of us...
 
Misato: (Opening the present) All right... let's see what you guys got me... (Looks inside and is stunned momentarily) It's lovely!
 
Misato runs her fingers across the lavender nightgown that was inside the box, and realizes that it's made from pure silk, something that had been in short supply lately. She knew instantly that this must have cost the three of them a good bit of money to get for her...
 
Asuka: Well, we got tired of seeing you either in your uniform or without anything, so we thought this would help you and us.
 
Misato: (Very happy) Thank you! All three of you... it's wonderful!
 
Rei: (Passing a present to Asuka) This is from Mom and I, I hope you like it...
 
Asuka: Thank you Rei, Misato... let's see what we have here... (Rapidly tears open the present) Wow! The new Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy XXV! Thanks you two!
 
Asuka feels a little bit better inside, but is still anxiously awaiting Shinji's present to her...
 
Misato: No problem...
 
Rei: You are welcome.
 
Rei passes the next present on the pile to Shinji, who looks at it for a moment then tears open the paper and looks inside. The first thing he saw made him gasp and turn a very pasty white. With trembling hands, he pulled the picture free of its wrappings and looked at it. Tears fill his eyes as a singe word escapes his lips, "Mom." With that word, Asuka looks up at him. She can feel the pain he feels as though it were her own. His memories deep in her mind resurfaced as she watched him...
 
To see what the picture that Shinji got looks like, go to picture 54 on page 7...
 
Asuka thought to herself... "He hurts so much" Despite her earlier pain, she longed to be there beside him, to hold him. "I know how it feels to lose someone that special... that special..." Memories flood through Asuka's mind as she recalls how everyone that Shinji has loved has either turned away from him or has died. "Is he scared that I will leave him?" she asked herself. "That has to be it," she mumbled though she had meant to only think it. Asuka looked up after having realized that she spoke her last line out loud, and was relieved to see that both Misato and Rei were watching Shinji and did not seem to hear her.
 
Rei: (Scooting closer to Shinji) (Quietly) I knew that you did not have anything to remember her by... (Puts a hand on Shinji's shoulder)
 
Slowly Shinji looked up at her, and he could tell that she had only meant to help him, just like he had done for Asuka. 'Asuka,' his mind said, 'I wanted to give her something to remember her mother by. I didn't think it could hurt this much.' Tears began to make their way down his cheeks as he remembers his mother, and then Asuka's mother.
 
Shinji, after several long moments was able to get his voice to finally vocalize his thanks, "I love it Rei... it..." His capacity for words failed him again as he reached out suddenly and pulled Rei into a tight embrace and cried on her shoulder. Rei at first was surprised by him, and then confused as to what to do in return. Slowly, she placed one hand on his back, then the other. She held him for a while as his memories of love and loss flowed out of him in the form of tears. Asuka watched and she knew the pain he felt, it had not been that long ago that she herself had been subjected to those same memories...
 
Misato watched as he held on to his sister and cried. She too could feel the tears welling up in her own eyes. Clutching Pen-Pen closer to herself she allowed several tears to fall as she thought of Kaji, her love that was now gone as well.
 
As Shinji held Rei his mind replayed memories, some of which were his and others were from Asuka's mind. 'She has been hurt so much, no wonder she is afraid to love... is that it? Is that why she reacted that way? Is she afraid to be hurt again?' His mind reeled in contemplation as he considered it.
 
Shinji: (Softly) That has to be it.
 
Rei: What does?
 
Shinji: Oh um...
 
He pulled away from his sister and wiped the tears from his eyes.
 
Shinji: I'm sorry for that...
 
Rei: It is ok.
 
Asuka, trying to keep herself from throwing a crying fit as well, decided to get things moving. Casting a glance at Misato, Asuka noticed that her present to Shinji was not in the pile.
 
Asuka: Well, we've got just three more left; so let's open them up!
 
Looking at the pile Shinji did a double take as he noticed that his present to Asuka was missing. Casting a glance at his surrogate mother he was wondering if she was responsible for that. Handing out the last two presents quickly, Asuka sat back to watch. Rei and Shinji had the last three. Her attention was on Rei for the moment as it had taken a lot of work to get her friend this present.
 
Misato: (To Rei) Who's that one from?
 
Rei: (Opening the present) It is from Asuka... (Holds up an old book and begins to read the title out loud) A Christmas Carol...
 
Asuka: (Proudly) That's an original first print edition and it's very old. I hope you like it... the book talks about how things were done without technology and it has a good story...
 
Rei: Thank you. (Leafs through a few of the pages in the book) How did you know that I like old books?
 
Asuka: Shinji mentioned that you liked old books and I thought that this would be a good book for you...
 
Rei happily nods her head in response. Misato slides a box over to Shinji...
 
Misato: This one is for you...
 
Shinji: I wonder what's inside? (Tears open the wrapping paper and pulls out a new SDAT player and a pendant) Thanks, Misato!
 
Misato: (Smiling) You're welcome. Aren't you going to take a look inside of the pendant?
 
Shinji: Oh... (Grabs the pendant and opens it up) It's a picture of all of us together, on the hill...
 
A smile forms on Shinji's face as he wipes the remaining tears from earlier away. Misato watches as Shinji slowly clutches the pendant to his chest. She then with a mischievous smile slides a box over to Rei...
 
Rei: Is this for me, Mom?
 
Misato: (Urging her on) Go on, open it...
 
Rei opens the rather heavy box and finds a book inside- "Relationship For Dummies." Rei looks at the book with a puzzled expression...
 
Misato: The book is for you, to help with Kensuke, and there's more! Look in the box again...
 
Rei looks at the bottom of the box and sees some wrapping paper. Removing that, she finds a blue dress inside. Taking it out of the box, she admires the look and the quality of the dress...
 
Rei: It is... beautiful, mom. T... thank you. (Smiles)
 
Misato: You're welcome. We'll go out later this week and get you the rest of the "accessories", okay?
 
Rei nods her head in response. Asuka and Shinji sigh and silently thank Misato for pulling their gift out of the pile...
 
Misato: (With a mischievous smile on her face) Hmm... there are two presents left... (Tosses the remaining two gifts at the recipients who both glare at Misato)
 
Asuka and Shinji both look at their gift and notice that it is in the shape of a small box. All of the next events occur at the same time- they are reacting in perfect sync with each other and not realizing it; Rei watches in mild amusement.
 
Looking at their presents, both Shinji and Asuka ask themselves "Could it be... be what I think this is?" Only a few seconds pass before both eagerly tear off the paper to see a box... that could only contain a ring. They look up at each other in confusion before looking down and open the boxes. Both stare intently at the rings inside their respective boxes and think to themselves "Misato must have had a hand in this, how else could he/she have known that I was going to get him/her a ring?"
 
Shinji and Asuka both open their presents, each pulling out a small and obvious box with a ring contained inside. Upon looking up their eyes locked on the other person. Both hold up their left hands up so that the other could see, and then slid the rings onto their others finger. As they do this, they both realize how silly they were acting earlier.
 
Shinji: Asuka, I...
 
Asuka: ...didn't know.
 
They both then quietly took the others ringed hand, and together they both simply nodded to each other acknowledging not only their folly but also their caring for each other. Misato, having watched all this, grabs a tissue and begins to cry as Rei still watches all three of them and thinks- `This is... fascinating.' Now... with no presents between them, Shinji and Asuka quietly move towards each other and embrace in a warm and loving embrace. They both whisper, "I love you," which Rei picks up with her acute hearing.
 
Misato sees this and starts bawling... "Oh, how sweet you two are!"
 
Rei tries not to laugh- not as much for the emotion shown but of the actual synchronicity of their actions. She then thinks to herself, `Can I become this close... with Kensuke?'
 
A few minutes later, Misato calms herself down and speaks...
 
Misato: Well, I guess that's all of the presents...
 
Pen-Pen: (Loudly protesting) SSSSQQQQQUAAAAWWWK!
 
Misato: (Giggling) I was just kidding, I'm not gonna forget about my first kid... (Hands Pen-Pen a small package)
 
Pen-Pen opens the package and finds a small remote control inside...
 
Misato: You can use that remote to turn on the microwave, activate any of the electronics in the house, and even to open the fridge door. I got you a subscription to the Animal Channel magazine and some special Copper River Salmon, which is in the bottom drawer of the fridge...
 
Pen-Pen: (Very happily, waving his flippers in the air) SQUAWK!
 
Misato: (Smiling) You're welcome...
 
Misato and Rei begin to pick up all of the paper that now litters the floor of the front room. Shinji and Asuka get up and sit on the couch, snuggling next to the other and admiring the new ring on their finger. Pen-Pen waddles off in search of his new salmon...
 
Misato: (Softly) Rei, let's give them some time alone, okay? Maybe we can have some "girl talk" together...
 
Rei: (Softly) Okay, mom.
 
Quietly, Rei and Misato leave the room and head over to Rei's bedroom to talk and to give Shinji and Asuka a little time to themselves. After a little snuggling, Shinji breaks the silence...
 
Shinji: (Blushing) Asuka, t... thank you...
 
Asuka: (Planting a kiss on his cheek) You're welcome. Thank you, liebchen, for the ring... (Snuggles her head into his chest and pauses for a moment) (Very softly) Hold me...
 
Shinji gently places his arms around his girlfriend and holds her close. Asuka, feeling very comfortable and secure, falls asleep in his arms. The two of them spend the rest of the morning together, and then join Misato and Rei for a snowball fight outside. Everyone is very careful to watch out for Rei and her deadly aim...
 
Elsewhere in Tokyo-3, others gathered together for Christmas. At Maya Ibuki's place, Aoba and Hyuga join her for a Christmas party and all three have a good time and become closer friends. Fuyutski spends the day relaxing at home and watching the gentle snow fall to the ground. Gazing out of the window, he reminisces about that last time he seen it snow, which was before 2nd Impact. Gendo Ikari, however, sits in his office and looks at some papers. Time passes and he opens up one of the bottom drawers and pulls out a large, orange envelope. Carefully, he opens it and stares at a small collage, which has three people on it- a much younger Gendo, Yui, and a baby Shinji...
 
To see a picture of the collage, go to picture 74 on page 9...
 
Gendo: (Talking to himself) I will get you back, Yui. I promise you that. I will not let SEELE stop me... and no, I didn't lie to Shinji. There were no photos of you... just this collage. (Pauses for a moment, then slams his fist down) I will not fail! (Puts the collage back in the envelope and puts it away. He then looks at one of the sheets of paper that he was reading and crumples it up. The top line on the paper reads "Unknown personnel have begun to threaten NERV personnel and try and penetrate NERV's computer systems")
 
Misato spends half the night awake in her room, staring at a model car that she just received in a package earlier in the day. This mysterious package was sitting outside of the apartment. She thinks to herself... `Who would be sending me this sort of present ... and why?'
 
The next day finds more activity going on in Tokyo-3...
 
Saturday December 26th
 
In the later morning, Hikari, Asuka, Shinji, Kensuke, and Rei head over to Toji's place to celebrate his birthday. They have fun dancing and talking, though Kensuke is very nervous around Rei. During the party, Rei comes up to Kensuke and hands him an envelope...
 
Rei: This is for you...
 
Kensuke: (Stuttering) F... for me?
 
Rei: Yes. Since you did not receive Christmas presents from everyone, Shinji had an idea on how to make it up to you- all of us here pooled our money and got you this gift certificate for the arcade...
 
Kensuke: T... thank you, Rei. (Turns and looks at his other friends) Thanks, guys...
 
Shinji: It was no problem. We all felt bad after that party, 'cause you didn't get a present, so we figured it would be a good idea, you know...
 
Kensuke nods appreciatively. The party continues, and one topic that comes up is New Years Eve and the possibility of a party...
 
Asuka: (Excitedly) We should have a party at our place! You guys could come over and it'd be fun!
 
Hikari: Maybe I could make something and bring it with, like a dessert...
 
Asuka: Hmm... okay.
 
Toji: Maybe we could have some music and do some dancing... (Looks at Hikari and mentally pictures slow-dancing with her)
 
Asuka: Sure, why not... I'll just ask Misato about it when I get home and I'll call you, Hikari, and Kensuke and let you know...
 
Kensuke: (Almost stuttering) S... sounds good to me...
 
Rei: Are you going to cook some food for this party, brother?
 
Shinji: Yeah, of course...
 
The party continues a while longer and then everyone goes home. Hikari stays a little while longer and spends some time talking to Toji before going home. Later that evening, Asuka asks Misato about the New Years Eve party and gets her response...
 
Misato: You know what, Asuka, that's a great idea! You can have your friends over and have some fun. I may be out pretty late, so I want you and Shinji to be on your best behavior...
 
Asuka: (Sarcastically) And just what is that supposed to mean? After all this time, you don't trust us?
 
Misato: But I do trust you both... (Long pause)... just not your hormones. Rei will make sure that no one "misbehaves", okay?
 
Asuka: (Sighs) I guess... (Under her breath) We can save the world but you can't leave us alone for one night...
 
Misato: (Catching part of what Asuka said) What was that?
 
Asuka: (Turning away) Oh, nothing...
 
Asuka begins to make a list of things to buy for the party. Meanwhile, at NERV headquarters, Kozo and Gendo have a meeting to discuss "pressing" issues...
 
Kozo: (Looking at the stack of papers in front of him) I see that SEELE is on the move again... and they're going after our agents now...
 
Gendo: (Folding his hands) Yes, it would appear so. That's why I am limiting access to our true plans to key officers only and I will be assigning agents to watch our pilots as well. All computer references to our plans and EVA status have been encrypted as well...
 
Kozo: Won't the pilots take that as an invasion of privacy?
 
Gendo: They need to survive to pilot the EVA's... they must survive to fight against SEELE...
 
Kozo: (Taken aback slightly at Gendo's last statement) I see. (Hands Gendo another paper) It seems like your son has gotten involved with the Second Child... the Fourth Child is involved with a student in the same class named Hikari Horaki. What catches my attention on this report is the bottom part, though...
 
Gendo: (Scanning the document) She is becoming more human...
 
Kozo: It seems like Rei has become her own individual, and is no longer dependant on you at all...
 
Gendo: It would seem so... (Folds his hands) (Long pause) As long as she obeys orders, it is not important...
 
Kozo: (To himself) He still is treating her like a tool, even after what happened... but Gendo is Gendo... (Out loud) Maybe we should do some sync tests pairing the 2nd and 3rd Child together. They had a remarkable sync rate during the incident with the 6th Angel when they were together in the plug...
 
Gendo: Agreed. Make sure to schedule some additional tests and increase the testing to twice a week. Also, increase the difficulty of the battle simulations as well. We need to accelerate the pace of our plans and implement the next phase of the scenario...
 
Kozo: Agreed... (To himself) But will the children be as eager for revenge against SEELE as you are?
 
Kozo ponders the previous thought as he walks out of Gendo's office. `Will he risk it all again, just to be with his wife and get revenge? I wonder...'
 
Time continues to flow forward and Gendo's plans are put into action. The pilots are unaware of the new security officers assigned to watch them. Soon it is New Years Eve...
 
To be continued in Chapter 19: Christmas to New Years Part II