Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 20: First Date and Old Friends ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20: First Date and Old Friends
 
Begin ARC 2
 
A/N: The story passed the 100,000 word mark last chapter, just a FYI. As usual, there are minor revisions here and there. Enjoy!
 
Friday January 1st 2016 11:30 AM
 
This chapter opens up with Shinji and Asuka, together in the front room of the Katsuragi apartment; continuing from the last chapter...
 
Asuka: (Looking at Shinji seriously and sniffing the air) Shinji...
 
Shinji: What?
 
Asuka: I think you need to take a shower...
 
Shinji: (Surprised) Huh? (Stares at Asuka) I think you do too...
 
Asuka: (Indignant) Are you saying I stink? Of all the...
 
Shinji: (Folding his arms across his chest) Well, tell me the last time YOU took a shower?
 
Asuka: (Mumbling) Well, um... (Pauses) You're going in first! (Starts to push Shinji towards his room)
 
Shinji: Why me?
 
Asuka: 'Cause I said so. If I go in first, then you'll complain that I'm taking a long time in the shower...
 
Shinji: (Sighs) I guess you're right... okay, I'll go first.
 
Shinji goes into his room, grabs some clothes, and heads for the shower. Meanwhile, Asuka heads for the front room and begins to play her "Super Bomberman 2015" game. A little while later, Shinji finishes his shower and changes, then steps out into the hallway...
 
Shinji: Your turn, Asuka.
 
Asuka: (Pausing her game) Okay... (Turns around to look at Shinji) You better not touch my game or else!
 
Shinji: (Passively) Yeah, yeah...
 
Asuka gets up and heads for the shower, stopping at her room to get a change of clothes. Shinji sits down on the couch and waits patiently for her to get out of the shower. After a couple minutes pass, however, he starts to look at the TV screen and sees a way to relieve his boredom...
 
Shinji: (To himself) I could play the game... but she'll be mad if I mess with her game. What am I going to do? I'm bored...
 
Another ten minutes pass and Asuka is still not finished...
 
Shinji: What's taking her so long? I might as well do something to pass the time...
 
Shinji gets up and reaches for the controller on the floor. Just then, Asuka steps out of the bathroom and sees what he is doing...
 
Asuka: (Furious) What the hell do you think you're doing!?
 
Shinji: Um...
 
Asuka: (Smiling evilly) As punishment for touching my game, you have to help me with something...
 
Shinji: (Protesting) But I didn't...
 
Asuka: No "buts". (Sits down on the couch) Come over here, Shinji...
 
Shinji: Uh, okay...
 
Shinji slowly gets up and sits down next to Asuka, and awaits her next statement. Asuka notices his nervousness and decides to make her move...
 
Asuka: (Hands Shinji a hairbrush) You get the privilege of brushing the hair of the most beautiful girl in Tokyo-3... (Flashes Shinji a smile)
 
Shinji: (Breathing a sigh of relief) Okay, Asuka, I'll do it...
 
Asuka: (Smiling) Thanks! And be careful, my hair is very important to me! (Turns sideways, so Shinji can brush her hair easily)
 
Shinji glances at Asuka for a few seconds and immediately taken by her appearance...
 
Shinji: (To himself) Asuka has her traditional blue short shorts on and a rumpled black sweater with the red sleeves... I haven't seen that one before... she looks very cute... (Blushes)
 
To see a picture of what Asuka looks like here, go to picture 171 on picture page 22 of my website...
 
Asuka: (Impatiently) Shinji... what's taking you so long to get started?
 
Shinji grins at her and leaning his head down towards her head, he breathed in the scent of her hair. The smell of strawberries makes his nostrils tingle. Asuka inhales deeply a moment later; Shinji takes it as a sign that she is about to yell. Thinking quickly, he places a kiss on top of her head and then he starts to gently brush Asuka's hair...
 
Asuka: (To herself) That feels good... he's being gentle but is also getting the job done. (Looks down at the ring on her finger and smiles) Shin-chan... (Blushes)
 
Both teens are silent as Shinji continues to brush Asuka's hair. Asuka thinks to herself, 'I gotta have him do this more often, he does a good job... and this kind of makes me feel good...'
 
Shinji finishes a few minutes later but decides to keep brushing her hair anyways... he can see how much Asuka is enjoying it. A little while later, he stops...
 
Shinji: (Regretfully) All done... (Places the brush on the couch)
 
Asuka: (Softly) Thank you. (Pauses) Shinji, can you do one more thing for me?
 
Shinji: (Nervously) S-Sure...
 
Asuka: Can you massage my shoulders? They're feeling tight...
 
Shinji: (Very nervous) S-Sure, Asuka...
 
Asuka relaxes as Shinji slowly starts to massage her shoulders, starting from the neck and working his way outward. Asuka can feel her muscles loosen and immediately feels better. A few moments later, however, she cries out...
 
Asuka: (Yelling) Hey! Your hurting my shoulder... don't press so hard on my bra straps. You're making them dig into my skin, dummkopf!
 
Shinji: (Turning red) B-bra... st...
 
Asuka: Duh! (Turns her head and sees that Shinji's face is red as a tomato) Are you embarrassed 'cause I said bra straps?
 
Shinji: (Trying to deny it) Um... no, that's not it at all...
 
Asuka: (To herself) Hmm... maybe I can have some fun here... (Out loud) (Teasingly) Do you want me to take them off?
 
Shinji: Take them... off? (Gulps)
 
Asuka: So you want me to take it all off...
 
Shinji: (About to burst a blood vessel) A-all off?
 
Asuka: I thought so... (Begins to remove her bra)
 
Shinji watches in mute fascination and horror as Asuka starts to remove her bra, starting with the straps on the shoulders and then the back clasp- all the while keeping her shirt on. Despite what is happening, more blood rushes to his face then anywhere else...
 
Asuka: (Looking at Shinji's red face) (To herself) He looks so embarrassed... now for the coup de grace! I'm glad I picked a good one to wear today... (Chuckles)
 
Asuka puts her arms back in the sleeves. Shinji breathes a sigh of relief... but before he can really recover, Asuka sticks her left arm up her right sleeve and pulls out her bra, and drops it in Shinji's lap... and waits to see how he reacts.
 
Shinji looks down at his lap, and his eyes bulge out at what he sees there...
 
Asuka: (Teasingly) Look familiar?
 
Shinji can barely muster the energy to nod his head... his mind is spinning with various thoughts and ideas. He begins to think to himself 'T-that's the same white lace bra from that joke that she and I played on Misato...' Shinji pauses and continues to stare at his lap and thinking to himself... 'I remember this one now, when I picked it up after the joke it felt soft to the t... MUST STOP THE HENTAI THOUGHTS! AARGH!'
 
An amused Asuka silently watches Shinji, wondering what he will do next and hoping that he won't faint...
 
Asuka: (Thinking) I'm not trying to embarrass him or anything... I just want him to be more comfortable with me and with things like this. He shouldn't react like this when I say certain things or he sees certain things. I have to "toughen him up..."
 
Shinji: (To himself) What do I do now? She's watching my every move... maybe I should just give the bra back...
 
Shinji stops and squirms for a moment...
 
Shinji: (Thinking) Damn thermal expansion!
 
Asuka: (Innocently) Something wrong, Shinji?
 
Shinji: Oh, um, it's nothing... (Pauses for a moment to summon his courage) Here's your bra back, Asuka... (Hands the bra to Asuka)
 
Asuka takes the bra, and pauses for a moment. She thinks for a moment... 'He didn't stutter when he said "bra". He's getting better, but still needs a little more work...'
 
Asuka: Why don't you hold it for a little bit longer? I don't mind... (Puts the bra into Shinji's left hand, and then presses and holds it closed with her hand)
 
Shinji is momentarily stunned by what Asuka is doing. He can feel the softness and the lace of the bra pressing against his fingers... it feels nice to the touch.
 
Shinji: (Thinking as he squirms in his seat) Why is she doing this? Last time she didn't want me touching any of her stuff and now she...
 
Shinji's eyebrows rise up as he finally realizes what she is really up to and why she is doing all of this to him. Asuka notices his reaction and smiles...
 
Asuka: Now you know why I'm doing this... (Takes her hand off of his, allowing him to open it up again) I'll take that... (Grabs her bra out of Shinji's hand and places it on the floor)
 
Shinji: Asuka... thank you. (Looks intently at her)
 
Asuka: You're welcome. (Takes Shinji's hands and holds them) I don't need my boyfriend passing out or getting all embarrassed whenever words like "bra" come up. We're becoming closer and I want you to be comfortable with me. (Pauses for a moment to flash a smile at Shinji, then points at the ring on his finger) I love you, Shinji, and I hope that I was able to help you today. I may ask you to buy me something in the future, and I don't want you to make a fool of yourself at the store... (Winks at Shinji)
 
Shinji: (Realizing what she meant by the last line) You mean...
 
Asuka: (Nods her head) (Softly) Yes, Shin-chan. Not now, but it the future... when we're further along and more mature and ready to do a little more...
 
Shinji: (Nervously) Oh...
 
Both teens stare at each other silently for a few moments. Shinji gently removes his hands from Asuka's and pulls her into a warm, tight embrace...
 
Shinji: (Thinking) She's helped me out a lot today... I should ask her if I can do anything for her...
 
Shinji and Asuka enjoy the warmth of being close together for a few more minutes before Shinji breaks the silence...
 
Shinji: Asuka, can I do something for you, since you helped me out just now...
 
Asuka: (Looking at Shinji happily) Sure! You can finish my shoulder massage! You won't have to worry about anything being in the way now...
 
Shinji: Okay... turn around and I'll get started...
 
Asuka turns around and Shinji gets to work, gently but firmly massaging her shoulders. She cannot help but smile as her tensions melt away...
 
Shinji: (Sniffing Asuka's hair) Your hair smells so good, Asuka...
 
Asuka: (Flattered) Thank you! It's a new strawberry shampoo I picked up at the store...
 
Shinji: You smell good enough to eat, Asuka...
 
Shinji feels Asuka tense up at his last words. She turns around with a look of anger on her face...
 
Asuka: (Loudly) Pervert! I think you're taking our lesson too far! I don't believe you just said that!
 
Shinji: (Confused) What do you mean by t... (Remembers another meaning of his statement to Asuka) Oh... (Pauses) I didn't mean it like that!
 
Asuka: I'm gonna get you, Shinji!
 
Shinji gets up and runs towards Rei's apartment, with Asuka following close behind. After the two pass by her door, Misato opens it and looks around...
 
Misato: (Softly to herself) I wonder what that was about? (Shrugs her shoulders) Anyways, I wonder what's on the TV...
 
Misato walks into the front room and sits down on the couch. As she searches for the TV remote, she notices the bra on the floor...
 
Misato: (Yelling) Asuka! Get in here right now!
 
Asuka appears a few moments later, dragging Shinji into the room in a headlock...
 
Asuka: (Slightly annoyed) What is it? I'm busy with Shinji here...
 
Misato: Why are you leaving your clothes lying around on the floor? (Picks up Asuka's bra off of the floor and holds it up in the air)
 
Asuka: (Tries to think of a quick excuse) Um... I was sorting my laundry and I must have left it there by accident. Yeah... that's right...
 
Misato: Oh, okay. Just don't do it again... I could get the wrong idea about seeing something like that lying around... and we don't need that, right? (Looks sternly at the two teens)
 
Shinji: No...
 
Asuka: Nope...
 
Misato: Good.
 
Asuka releases Shinji from the headlock and takes the bra from Misato, disappearing for a few moments into her room. Misato finds the TV remote and starts flipping through channels. Asuka returns and goes over to Shinji...
 
Shinji: Asuka, I'm sorry about what I said. You know I wouldn't say anything perverted like that on purpose...
 
Asuka: I know... (Places a kiss on his cheek) I was only kidding... I knew you weren't trying to be a hentai. You were trying to give me a complement...
 
Shinji: Yeah...
 
Misato: (Interrupting the conversation) Hey, do you guys know where Rei is?
 
Shinji: She went out on a date with Kensuke...
 
Misato: (Excited) Really? That's great! When did they leave? (To herself) My girl is really growing up now...
 
Asuka: Maybe twenty or thirty minutes ago... (Looks closely at Misato and notices that she is still wearing yesterday's clothes) Why are you wearing the same clothes as yesterday?
 
Misato: Oh... (Looks down and realizes that she hasn't changed her clothes today) Um... um... (Stands up) I'm gonna take a shower right now! I hope you guys don't need the bathroom...
 
Misato rushes past Shinji and Asuka and heads into her room, then into the shower...
 
Shinji: What was that all about?
 
Asuka: (Shaking her head) I don't know. That woman can be so lazy sometimes... (Pauses) Wanna watch some TV together? I can finish my Bomberman game later...
 
Shinji: Sure...
 
Shinji and Asuka watch TV together and Misato clean up while two other teens are having a discussion of their own. Rei and Kensuke have arrived at a park in the center of Tokyo-3 and are sitting on a bench in the center of the park. Rei looks up at the sky for a moment and sees a blue sky devoid of clouds...
 
Kensuke: (Twiddling his thumbs nervously) Um, Rei... why did you take me to this park?
 
Rei: It reminds me of a vision I had while I was asleep...
 
Kensuke: Oh... I think you mean a dream, Rei. What was it about?
 
Rei: (Tries to recall the dream) I am trying to remember the details...
 
Kensuke: Take your time, Rei...
 
Rei continues to try and recall the dream in question. A minute later, she is able to dredge up some of the details in her mind...
 
Rei: I remember some of it now. I was in a park, like this one...
 
Kensuke: (Confused as to why she'd dream about that) Why?
 
Rei: I was... sitting on a blanket... (Looks at Kensuke)... with you.
 
Kensuke: (Gulps) With me?
 
Rei: (Nods then closes her eyes as she thinks) There were several lunches set out...
 
Kensuke: (Nervously): Maybe it was Shinji and Asuka eating with us?
 
Rei: Hmm... both people came up to me for the bentos, but I cannot remember any details about them, but they reminded me of you and I...
 
Kensuke: (Stuttering) R-really...?
 
Kensuke is caught off guard because of her last statement. He thinks hurriedly to himself... 'She's dreaming about us and... and kids?' He gulps and then turns to look at Rei...
 
Kensuke: (Very nervous) W-W-What do you think that means, Rei?
 
Rei pauses and then takes a few seconds to compose her answer. Kensuke sits there and sweats nervously as he awaits her answer...
 
Rei makes a mental note to think about the rest of the dream. There was more to the dream, but she woke up in a cold sweat after it happened- something that has never happened to her before. The dream and her sleep ended suddenly with the three others suddenly vanishing as though they were never there. She was all alone... and very distraught over her situation...
 
Rei: (Getting back to Kensuke's question and pushing the unpleasant feelings out of her head) First, it suggests we will become more serious in our new relationship, since I see children in my dream and both are very similar to the both of us... (Blushes)
 
Kensuke begins to get nervous as Rei continues, but is relieved somewhat by the fact that she is blushing and is nervous about it as well...
 
Rei: (Continuing her thought)... And that means that we will become sexually active at some point in the future.
 
Kensuke, who had a sushi roll in his hand, drops it to the ground in shock... what Rei has said has totally stunned him.
 
Rei: Kensuke, do you dislike raw fish?
 
Kensuke: (Trying to avoid the subject) No, no... that's not it at all. The food is good...
 
After a few minutes of silence to think about Kensuke's reaction, Rei figures out what to ask him...
 
Rei: Is the thought of sexual intimacy with me causing you to doubt our feelings for each other?
 
Kensuke: (Taking a deep breath before speaking) Rei, what your dream showed wasn't what upset me... it's just that we are too young and the time for raising families is when we have matured enough in our relationship to handle that responsibility.
 
After pausing for a moment, Kensuke asks himself a question... 'Where the hell did I get that from? Normally I'd be all for sex... something is different about me.'
 
Rei takes Kensuke's hand and looks at him intently...
 
Rei: I understand what you are saying Kensuke, but why would my subconscious show me this now?
 
Kensuke: Hmm... dreams are a reflection of your feelings and desires, so maybe inside you desire to be closer to me and have a family...
 
Rei: I see... (Scoots over, so she is next to Kensuke) Will you help me fulfill my dreams in the future?
 
Kensuke: O-of course... but you have to help me with my dream...
 
Rei: (Curiously) What would that be?
 
Kensuke: (Pauses for a moment before answering and also begins to blush) To have and be with a beautiful girl like you...
 
Rei blushes and then lays her head on his shoulder. She is overcome by a feeling of warmth and love...
 
Rei: (Softly) Of course, Kensuke... I want to be with you...
 
Kensuke gently puts an arm around Rei and pulls her closer. They spend a few minutes together like this and then finish their lunch, talking and getting to know each other a little bit better. After lunch is done, Kensuke walks Rei back to the apartment. Both of them fail to notice that a man is following them and observing their every move... and has been doing so since they left the apartment...
 
Upon arriving home, Rei notices that Shinji and Asuka are watching the TV in the front room and Pen-Pen is at the table drinking a beer...
 
Rei: Where's mom?
 
Shinji: Well, she ran into the shower a little while ago, but I don't remember hearing her come out...
 
Pen-Pen squawks and points a piece of paper on the table...
 
Rei walks over to the kitchen table and picks up the piece of paper. She begins to read the contents out loud...
 
Had to run out for a while... will be back sometime this evening. Feel free to order something for dinner and charge it to my NERV account.
 
Misato
 
Asuka: How the hell did she sneak out of here? I don't remember hearing a thing!
 
Rei: There is more to the letter... at the bottom it says "I tried to tell you two that I was leaving, but you were too engrossed in kissing to hear me, so I left this note."
 
Asuka and Shinji both blush and turn away from Rei...
 
Shinji: (Softly to Asuka) I guess I was too busy thanking you for your help earlier...
 
Asuka: (Softly to Shinji) Don't worry about it, liebchen. (Turns around and looks at Rei) So... (Coughs) I guess it's just us three tonight...where'd you guys want to order from?
 
The three teens discuss what they want for dinner and then Asuka starts to inquire about Rei's date with Kensuke. In another part of Japan, Misato has arrived in Kyoto at Kaji's place. She unlocks the door and looks around the room for him. Kaji sees her and beckons her over to the balcony...
 
Kaji: (Happily) I'm glad you could come back today... (Pulls Misato closer to him)
 
To see a picture of this scene, go to picture 52 on page 7...
 
Misato: What are you doing out on the balcony?
 
Kaji: I was just getting some fresh air... (Looks at Misato intently) Why don't we go inside? I have a surprise for you...
 
Misato: (Smiling) Really? What did you get for me?
 
Kaji: Follow me and I'll show you...
 
Misato follows behind Kaji as he heads inside. He grabs a medium sized cardboard box and places it on his bed, then opens it up. Misato suddenly feels several items being placed in her hands...
 
Misato: (Looking down at her hands) What's this?
 
Kaji: You don't recognize your old college outfit?
 
Misato: Oh... (Suddenly remembers her old outfit and what it looked like) Yeah, it's all here, I think...
 
Misato spreads out the clothing and accessories on the bed. She immediately recognizes her old black sunglasses and jeweled necklace, along with her old dark red top and blue jeans...
 
Misato: You kept it all? But why? How? Where?
 
Kaji: You left the whole outfit behind one night at my place... that's why I have it all now. I saved it as a... (Pauses)... memento of our time together...
 
Misato: Then that would mean... I left with only my panties on... (Looks sternly at Kaji) Was I drunk?
 
Kaji: (Chuckles) Not quite... you... left wearing my pants... and my favorite shirt.
 
Misato: (Scratching her head) Hmm... I vaguely remember that. For some reason, I remembered wearing a pair of men's jeans and one of your shirts... makes sense now.
 
Kaji: Are you gonna put the outfit on?
 
Misato: (Having a sweatdrop) Well... it might be...
 
Kaji: Might be what?
 
Misato: Never mind. (Takes off her coat) I'm gonna go to the bathroom and change into this...
 
Kaji: Why don't you stay here? I'll help you change... (Tugs at her shirt)
 
Misato: Okay... but this isn't playtime. You said we had to be somewhere at five, right?
 
Kaji: Yeah... (Pulls off her shirt and winks at Misato)
 
Misato: We can play later, okay? (Gives Kaji a deep kiss on the lips)
 
Kaji: S-sure...
 
After getting undressed, Misato puts her old outfit on. Everything fits just fine... except for the pants, just as she had feared earlier...
 
Misato: (Pulling the zipper up on the jeans) They're a little tight...
 
Kaji: (Wrapping his arms around Misato's stomach) I see you've finally developed those hips like you wanted... (Moves his hands down her sides)... I like the change.
 
Kaji has a brief flashback to his college days...
 
(10 years ago)
 
Misato: Damn it... my hips are so straight! I wish I had hips!
 
Kaji: You'll get them; you don't always have to look better than Ritsuko.
 
Misato: I wasn't thinking of Rits, why were you? Do you like her hips more than mine?
 
Kaji (Sweating): No, I think you look great the way you are!
 
(End flashback)
 
Kaji: Your outfit still fits "in all the right places"...
 
Misato: (With a hint of anger) Pervert! (Slaps Kaji's arm)
 
Kaji pauses to think of a comeback line...
 
Kaji: You know...(He looks at her eyes with a loving gaze) You look the same as you did 10 years ago, when you were the prettiest woman on campus...
 
Misato: (Flattered) Really? Kaji... (Cups his chin in her hands, she gives Kaji a soft kiss on his cheek) Thank you. Now, where are we going?
 
Kaji: (With a wide grin on his face) You'll see...
 
To see what Misato looks like in this outfit, go to picture 98 on page 12...
 
Kaji and Misato don their coats and then head outside. Kaji leads Misato into an apartment building a few blocks away...
 
Misato: Who's living here?
 
Kaji: Follow me...
 
After climbing two flights of stairs, Kaji knocks on the door to Apartment 3A...
 
Voice: Who is it?
 
Kaji: The "unshaven" one...
 
Voice: Hmmph. Come on in...
 
The door creaks open and Kaji and Misato step inside.
 
Kaji: I brought a visitor with me today...
 
Misato takes a moment to look around the apartment. A plain wood table sits in the middle of the room with four chairs straddling it. A basic kitchen set decorates the back floor and a green refrigerator sits on the right side of the room. A tapping on her shoulders suddenly distracts Misato...
 
Misato: (Turning around) What?
 
Misato looks at the person in front of her and her face turns white as a ghost. A woman with brown hair stands in front of her, sporting a dark blue skirt and a black top with a light blue shirt over it. A small necklace and a pair of purple earrings round out the ensemble. The woman looks exactly like someone out of Misato's college days, except for one small detail...
 
Kaji: (Looking at Misato) Um... are you ok?
 
Misato doesn't answer and continues to stare at the woman...
 
Ritsuko: I wasn't expecting her to react like that...
 
Misato: (Barely able to speak) R-R-Ritsuko? Is-s that you?
 
Ritsuko: Of course it's me... did my hair color throw you?
 
Misato: (Still recovering) I-I don't remember you having brown hair...
 
Ritsuko: It's actually my real hair color... I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it or go back to being a blonde... I haven't decided...
 
Kaji: Well you know what they say, 'Blondes have more fun.'
 
Ritsuko: I think I'll keep it this way then, I've had all the fun I can stand for a while.
 
Misato: (Turning to look at Kaji) And just how do you know this?
 
Kaji: Easy... I just said they say that.... You know I love your hair... (Smiles)
 
Ritsuko: (Slightly agitated) But you don't like my hair? Is my hair ugly or something?
 
Kaji: (Beginning to sweat) Now I didn't say that...
 
Misato: (Picking up on Ritsuko's tease) So, which is it do you like, my hair or her's? Or do you love me for my hair only?
 
Kaji: Damn it Misato, you know I love you regardless of your hair...
 
Ritsuko (Whistles) Wow, I didn't think he'd say it in public.
 
Misato despite herself blushes as he admitted his feeling in front of Ritsuko, Kaji just sputtered a moment then grinned at her. Not his typical 'lady-killer' smile, but a true show of happiness.
 
Ritsuko: (Relieved) I'm surprised he had the guts to say it, you wouldn't believe how long I had to listen to him pining over you and not being able to see you... he's worse than a lost puppy!
 
Kaji (Snaps out of it) I was not a puppy....
 
Ritsuko: Ok, you were just a lazy old mutt then.
 
Kaji: That's better... hey wait a minute!
 
Ritsuko and Misato both share a laugh at Kaji's expense. Kaji grumbles and Misato recovers from her laughter.
 
Misato: Leave him alone; he's a good boy...
 
Ritsuko: (Serious) You say so, but we have something we need to talk about...
 
All three of them go over to a desk that Ritsuko sits behind... Kaji stands close by leaning against the wall, he's heard it before... and Misato has to pick a black cat up out of a chair to sit down.
 
Ritsuko: (Slightly annoyed) You disturbed Luna's rest...
 
Misato: Oh... (Puts the cat in her lap) Sorry... (Begins to pet Luna)
 
Misato is petting Luna when Ritsuko's two other cats start rubbing against Misato's leg...
 
Misato: (Looking down at the floor) (Smiles) And whom do we have here?
 
Ritsuko: The white one is Artemis and the gray one is called...
 
Misato: (Cutting Ritsuko off) Let me guess... Diana, right?
 
Ritsuko: (Surprised) Uh, yeah. How did you know?
 
Misato: Well... after you told me the first two names, I remembered the name "Diana" was the name of a cat from a cartoon show that was on about 20 years ago. (Narrows her eyes) Really, Ritsuko, you need to be more original when you name a cat...
 
Ritsuko: (Sarcastically) Oh really? Let me see... if you had to name a cat, it would probably be called Yebisu or Boa. Or maybe Heineken, Budweiser, Miller, or Foster's... (Pauses for emphasis)... if you were being creative...
 
Whiffs of smoke come up out of Misato's ears as soon as Ritsuko stops talking. Ritsuko folds her arms, then watches Misato's reaction with glee...
 
Ritsuko: Got yah!
 
Misato: (Mumbling under her breath) A cat named after a beer would still be more original then copying off of "Sailor Moon"...
 
Kaji: Anyway... (Looking at Ritsuko) Why don't you start at the beginning?
 
Ritsuko: Ok... (Grabs some papers) This is what I have found...
 
Ritsuko shows the papers to Misato as she continues to speak about NERV and other things that are critical to what's going on. After about 30 minutes, she finishes up...
 
Ritsuko: (Sighs) And that's what I have...
 
Misato: Damn... (Slumps back in her chair as she looks through it again) And this all came from the system?
 
Ritsuko: (Nods her head) Yes.
 
Misato: (Looking at Kaji) I can see why they wanted you dead. Damn it! Now they're gonna want me too...
 
Misato begins to think of a plan of action...
 
Ritsuko: I don't think I have to worry too much... everyone thinks I'm dead...
 
Misato: Yeah... both of you are thought to be dead. (Pauses for a moment, a nagging thought bothers her) Ritsuko, where have you...
 
Ritsuko: (Cutting her off) Been? It's a long story... (Sighs heavily)
 
Misato: (Concerned) Do you want to tell me...?
 
Ritsuko: Maybe next time...
 
Kaji: (Placing on arm on each woman's shoulder) Sounds like a good idea...
 
Misato: Okay... I should get back the kids are waiting for me and I don't want them to worry...
 
Ritsuko: I understand. I'll see you next time you come out here... and I'll let you and Kaji know if I find anything new out...
 
Misato: Sure... (Starts to walk towards the front door with Kaji, then turns around) Ritsuko... I'm... glad you're okay...
 
Ritsuko: Thanks, old friend...
 
Kaji and Misato go back to Kaji's apartment, where Misato places a quick call on her cell phone, informing the kids that she'll be back soon...
 
Misato: (Putting the phone into her pocket) They'll be fine...
 
Kaji: But will they? You have to watch them and yourself more carefully from now on... (Puts his arms around Misato's waist) I'm worried about you...
 
Misato: (Placing a kiss on Kaji's cheek) I'll be fine, okay? You know I can take care of myself...
 
Kaji: I just wish I could be with you... (Starts to move his hands up her body, but is stopped short of his "goal" by Misato's hands)
 
Misato: I want to be with you too, Kaji... but... (Pulls him into a close embrace) Let's just take it one step at a time... (Turns off the lights and then begins to kiss Kaji passionately)
 
Kaji: (Between kisses) More healing?
 
Misato: Yes...
 
A few hours later, a haggard, tired and sleepy Misato arrives home. She has a strange grin plastered on her face as she enters the front room and finds all three kids playing a game on Asuka's NSS system...
 
Misato: I'm home...
 
All three kids turn around and look at Misato...
 
Asuka: (Loudly) Well it's about time!
 
Misato: (Ignoring Asuka's comment) What did you guys have for dinner?
 
Shinji: We ordered some Chinese food...
 
Rei: (Looking at Misato closely) Mother, you look... (Pauses to think of an appropriate word)... exhausted.
 
Misato: (To herself) You don't know the half of it... (Out loud) I'll be fine, Rei. How was your date today?
 
Rei: (Slightly blushing) It was... enjoyable...
 
Misato: I'm glad to hear that... could we talk for a few minutes, Rei?
 
Rei: Sure... (Pauses) Mom, why where you playing with a cat?
 
Misato: What? How did you know?
 
Rei: You have cat hair all over your clothes. (Points at her skirt and jacket)
 
Misato: (Making a quick excuse) Oh, that... my friend had a couple cats, that's all.
 
Rei: (Looking at Shinji and Asuka) I will be back in a little while, please play without me...
 
Shinji: All right.
 
Asuka: We got yah covered...
 
Misato leads Rei to her room as Shinji and Asuka resume their game...
 
The evening continues...
 
To be continued in Chapter 21: Talks, Chats, and Confrontations